REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:48 AM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
2021 - Vancouver is the Anti-Asian Hate Crime Capital of North America

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2...n-hate-crimes/

Is Vancouver that bad when it comes to anti-asian sentiment?

My initial reaction was, this is BS, but thinking about it. Maybe It's true and I'm just not exposed to it?

Most of my friends are educated and come from decent families, is that not normal. Are people actually experiencing racism and hate?
Advertisement
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
It’s weird that an anti-Asian sentiment formed when the govt. has been telling its citizens/allowing Chinese money laundering is destroying affordability for the last 10 years..who’d of thunk people would take it so seriously???...

Old 05-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #3
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,398 Times in 5,090 Posts
I’d say it’s pretty prevalent, most people I know have experienced it... but I don’t think it’s got anything to do with COVID like in the USA, maybe some idiots or mouth breathers here and there can’t tell the difference...... but I see it’s moreso coming from a growing mistrust of China and a perceived wealth gap.

When people think of Chinese people here, they tend to think of noobs running around in RR or Exotic cars and mega mansions... not the working poor or middle class which make up the bulk of immigrants.

I mean it is a bit silly to say Vancouver is hate filled when the government bends over backwards to make non-standard languages accessible at literally every venue you can think of... so it’s another sentiment socially that’s causing it in my mind.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2021, 09:50 AM   #4
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,897 Posts
Powerful!

whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2021, 10:48 AM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,755 Times in 3,869 Posts
Yes but the gvrd has the highest % of Chinese in the world in a city that isn’t in China. So yes we will have more Asian hate crimes.

Not saying that I condone them obviously blah blah.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:24 AM   #6
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
It's obviously not a good thing in any quantity, but there's a bunch of factors beyond the raw stat of number of incidents reported to police and they're going to vary a lot from place to place. What's the total population, what portion of the population is Asian, how likely are people to actually report it to the police, how likely are police to actually file it as a hate crime, what is the definition of a hate crime, how severe is each incident, etc.

The GVRD has a large Asian population and I'd wager VPD is more likely to file a report as a hate crime than an American police department. One dickhead can shout at loads of people and generate a bunch of reports or a group of people can attack one person and that's technically one incident so it's not really a good metric of what portion of the population is committing these crimes either. If it even gets filed as a hate crime, given how people can be murdered because of their race in the US but somehow it doesn't count as "racially motivated".
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:

Last edited by underscore; 05-13-2021 at 11:29 AM.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2021, 12:59 PM   #7
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
I'd say it's bs, since we are getting daily reports of violent Asian hate crime in NY and sandiego, daily physical attacks, mostly by poc against Asians which boggles the mind imo. You'd think there would be sympathy/understanding from other poc
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:03 PM   #8
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Does this include the racism they deal with between each other?
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:21 PM   #9
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,376 Times in 1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Does this include the racism they deal with between each other?
I was waiting for this, surprised it took 8 posts. BuT AsIaNs ArE MoRe RaCiSt!!!111

Come on man no Chinese person is slurring Japanese people by calling them Japs nor are Vietnamese beating up elderly Filipinos. Stop gaslighting.

What's clear is the police agencies here won't do anything beyond platitudes and statements what we need is to put body cams on our elders and women and respond with a "crew" of some sort to mess up the perpetrator. We can call it:

Roving Security Bands for Every Asian To Discourage Obvious Wanton Narrow-mindedness

a.k.a
R.S.B.E.A.T.D.O.W.N Crew

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2021, 01:27 PM   #10
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Come on man no Chinese person is slurring Japanese people by calling them Japs
Well actually, a lot of mainlanders do hurl a lot o shit at Japanese ppl, their attitude completely changes when they find out someone is Japanese. See this a lot more than I expected to, friends gf is Japanese.

Much of the vitriol is done in mandarin, but not all the time, so they probably assume it goes unnoticed
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:41 PM   #11
linguistic ninja

Yeah some mainlanders do, I meet a ton more Chinese people that fetishize Japanese which is also problematic.

Are Asian-Canadians racist? Of course, they are human. But is their racism at the level and intensity of the racist acts perpetrated upon them? Not even close.

Old 05-13-2021, 01:41 PM   #12
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

It's been an issue pre-covid, but it's just more prevalent now. Anyway, if anyone is interested, this is a good listen for the history of Japantown/Chinatown in BC more specifically in Vancouver.

Edit: one of the stories told in this podcast totally changed my perception of the PNE completely to know it was an internment of kids.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/cbc-podcas...boarding=false

Last edited by ryany; 05-13-2021 at 02:02 PM.
ryany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:47 PM   #13
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Well actually, a lot of mainlanders do hurl a lot o shit at Japanese ppl, their attitude completely changes when they find out someone is Japanese. See this a lot more than I expected to, friends gf is Japanese.

Much of the vitriol is done in mandarin, but not all the time, so they probably assume it goes unnoticed
But I don't think that's what is being reported to the police.

I think a lot of racism here has to do with jealousy. You got some guy who claims his family came here on the Mayflower working some shitty job living in a shitty place while some immigrant looking person is driving a nice car and living in a big house.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:02 PM   #14
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Yeah some mainlanders do, I meet a ton more Chinese people that fetishize Japanese which is also problematic.

Are Asian-Canadians racist? Of course, they are human. But is their racism at the level and intensity of the racist acts perpetrated upon them? Not even close.
Well you could have a Japanese person screaming all sorts of vile shit at a Chinese person and it’s not likely to make the news or get reported because that shit won’t get the media viewers churning. Some fat white guy with a trucker hat could say the same things the Japanese guy is saying and it would be breaking news, lead story.

The actual physical altercations are obviously a rarity between different Asian cultures, but I’ve dealt with plenty of Asian customers who, in the comfort of their home, will bad mouth Chinese people to me when for all I know they could be Chinese themselves lol

But I agree obviously the scale and levels of transgressions are not equal

Last edited by Hondaracer; 05-13-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:44 PM   #15
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,687 Posts
I think the anti-Asian racism in Canada, and in particular BC, is different from the kind of racism that Asian Americans can experience in the USA because you can have the element of gun violence due to different gun laws between the two countries.

For example, you have the micro-aggressions such as questions "Where are you really from" that Canadians or Americans can direct towards an Asian Canadian or American.

Then you have the racial slurs, racist jokes that can come out of people's mouths.

The next level racist behaviour is the overt racism of people spitting on Asian Canadians and/or Asian-Americans, physical assault, and shootings.

Interesting article about more Asian Americans exercising their constitutional right to bear fire arms. Jimmy's Game Shop is New York is booming in business with more Asian Americans buying hand guns or semi-automatic rifles in order to try to protect themselves from attacks.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/aaronsm...h=596fb5453edd

-from the article:

Hate crimes against Asian-Americans surged 149% in 2020, while overall hate crimes fell 7%, according to a study based on police statistics by the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino. The researchers found that hate crimes spiked in March and April 2020 “amidst a rise in Covid cases and negative stereotyping of Asians relating to the pandemic.”

During the anti-Asian hate crime spree, Asian-Americans have become a more familiar sight in gun shops, as they mingle among the millions of Americans who are buying guns for the first time.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:57 PM   #16
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
Grew up in the the tri-cities at a time when I was multi-cultural day at school. Ching chong ching shit happened everyday but meh, Grew up around ignorant white kids with ignorant dads. Learned to dish it as much I got but there was a weird respect about it when I did. The barbershop scene in Gran Turino pretty much sums it up best of my interactions with my friends dads.

Most may think that this is totally wrong but I don't get my panties in a bunch or pull out a phone when someone says go back to China these days and just go on with my day. Hell, if you grew up going to Chinatown as a kid, the crazies would be running down the street yelling at randoms with that racist shit. People just paused for a bit and went on with their business

Short of having a cross burned on my front lawn or being dragged by a pickup truck, someone just uttering words isn't a hate crime imo
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2021, 03:15 PM   #17
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Well you could have a Japanese person screaming all sorts of vile shit at a Chinese person and it’s not likely to make the news or get reported because that shit won’t get the media viewers churning. Some fat white guy with a trucker hat could say the same things the Japanese guy is saying and it would be breaking news, lead story.
Can't wait to see the next tiktok video of this happening

Old 05-13-2021, 03:20 PM   #18
Performance Moderator

I’ve heard firsthand some amazingly shitty talk about where certain individuals from HK and China think Filipino people rank on their world ladder and what good servants they make... so it’s definitely out there.

That’s not what’s being reported though, so kind of separate from the issue at hand as it’s not a factor in the numbers being reported... a societal problem yes, but not reflected in the increased violence we are seeing.

Should tackle one problem at a time... the violence problem needs to be dealt with / stopped immediately.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:39 PM   #19
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,292 Times in 2,507 Posts
IMO, while the racism issues mentioned by the article have at least some degree of truth in them, there is also a not-so-subtle tinge of sensationalism in the way the article was written to make the issue seem far bigger than it really is.

I would say that based on my personal experience, racist idiots only make up a very small portion of the Lower Mainland population. Yes, chances are that people of Asian decent have all experienced some degree of racism being directed at them -- I have certainly found myself in those situations before as well. But then, what percentage of time does a person become a target of racism? From my own life, I wouldn't even say I have had to put up with 1 minute of it in any given week.

Also, I'd say that at the end of the day, if you let that racism and those idiots practising it get to you, then they have just won and you have lost. So be the better peson. Keep calm and carry on. Be kind, and know that you are better than those racist fucks.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2021, 04:58 PM   #20
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,039 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Yes but the gvrd has the highest % of Chinese in the world in a city that isn’t in China. So yes we will have more Asian hate crimes.

Not saying that I condone them obviously blah blah.
100% this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:34 AM   #21
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post

lol are you kidding me. every time someone makes a remark about chinese drivers or richmond drivers. or has any negative remark about richmond or mainlanders, it's basically anti asian sentiment.

you hear that shit every single day. even on RS. anytime any car accident in richmond happens you hear it.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:38 AM   #22
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
agreed just because it wasn’t physical violence doesn’t mean it isn’t racism

I can only remember 1 personal instance in Vancouver where someone was blatantly racist to me and I feel pretty lucky, others have had it much worse
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:43 AM   #23
Performance Moderator

For the record, I’ve lived in Richmond my whole life and I’ve only ever been in one accident... and the guy who hit me was a fat white dude lol
Old 06-03-2021, 08:00 AM   #24
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post

My initial reaction was, this is BS, but thinking about it. Maybe It's true and I'm just not exposed to it?

Most of my friends are educated and come from decent families, is that not normal. Are people actually experiencing racism and hate?
I think bloomberg is out of touch with reality. Racism is everywhere. IMHO, anti-asian sentiment is no more or no less than how other visible minorities have been treated.

Having said that, the pandemic has had an effect on the behaviour of others toward asians. Just the other day, I was involved in an incident at No Frills on Broadway in Vancouver. I had to use the restroom. Nobody was in there and I really had to go. I carry individual Wet Ones with me whenever I go, but I had no time to wipe the seat down, then layer on toilet paper on the seat, etc. I did the hover move. My wife taught me that one, lol. Women can hover like it's nobody's business. Anyway, half way into it, I get a really loud banging on the door. I yelled, "Can you knock a little louder?" When I got out, this scruffy, middle-aged caucasian asks me (yells at me) what the hell I was doing? Instead of taking the high road and telling him I had the runs and BTW, hold your breathe while you are in there, I freaked out on him. I lost it. What's the hurry, asshole, you gotta get to the line up at the food bank on time or something? You better not take your sweet ass time. I'm timing you. You better be out in less than a minute. I then escalated the yelling with, "Stop being such a cunt!" As soon as I said "cunt" he stopped and went in. I waited for him to come out. When he did, he said nothing and just left. My kids were like, "What the fuck, dad?" I would have never acted like that , but I think all the news about anti-asian hate got to me. He saw me go in earlier and probably thought, oh another docile asian......... boy, was he ever wrong. If you go cray cray, be prepared for other person to out cray you. Two things to remember, don't pull on Superman's cape or Spit into the Wind (Jim Croce song, "You don't Mess Around with Jim"), or mess with Berz. Add MG1 to that list. gulolol. Sometimes you gotta fight fire with fire......

Another cool but funky way of dealing with bigots is to use my favourite phrase, "That's awfully white of you." Can only use it in certain situations, but it catches them of guard and gets the point across that you're being an asshat and you know it.

Anyway, more and more television ads using actors of colour. To me, it doesn't feel right, especially when they go overboard with it.

This type of media hype.... hey, that rhymes. I'm a poet and I din't even know it, is stirring the pot. I catch myself looking for incidents of anti-asian hate. Gotta stop fuelling the fire.

Be kind, be calm be safe..........

pretty hard to do at times.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2021, 10:28 AM   #25
in the butt

Thanked 3,216 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Women can hover like it's nobody's business.
I wonder how they got that skill

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote