REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-26-2021, 05:58 PM   #26
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
+1 for Ryobi.
It was the cheapest brand at Home Depot and once I went with it, I basically stuck with it since I ended up buying a combo drill set that came with batteries (to add to my collection).
I've had my tools now for around 7+ years.

Honestly, it will get the job done if you're a recreational handyman.

If it's for a career, then you'll probably want something more robust, but if not, it's probably overkill to get a higher end brand.
Advertisement
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:00 PM   #27
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Imo the price difference between a ryobi and a makita etc. Doesn’t really justify not spending the extra 20-30% difference for a more “quality brand”

We had a ryobi 5 peice set my boss brought to a job site one time and the impact broke in 3 days
Old 05-26-2021, 06:55 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Milwaukee is the go to for me and the rest of techs at work. great selection of tools for automotive technicians.
Few guys have tried Dewalt but they just dont last long for daily professional use; maybe a few months before they lose power
I also use Snap-on. Huge premium in price compared to everything else. Their electric tools are hit or miss. A few of them i find way better than milwaukee equivalent, while some like the 3/8 impact gun, I've had to get 2 motors replaced in the first year plus charger died after 1yr.
For lawncare, I went with 60v greenworks stuff. I just cant see 20v tools being powerful enough
Old 05-26-2021, 08:22 PM   #29
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Imo the price difference between a ryobi and a makita etc. Doesn’t really justify not spending the extra 20-30% difference for a more “quality brand”

We had a ryobi 5 peice set my boss brought to a job site one time and the impact broke in 3 days
It's more than 20-30% though. A Ryobi mower, trimmer, blower, 2 batteries and a charger is $400. A Makita mower, blower, 2 batteries and a charger is $750. That's nearly double the price and it doesn't include a blower, so it's a little hard for me to justify.

If those adapters were the other way around so I could use Ryobi batteries with other brand tools that'd be really nice. That way if I do toast a Ryobi tool I could grab a higher end version of the same tool without needing new batteries.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2021, 11:53 AM   #30
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
--
$98.
I'll concede on that one, I mustve missed it. 18V for a ratchet though? That looks unwieldly. You wouldn't be able to get that into half the places youd want to in your car or truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
+1 for Ryobi.
It was the cheapest brand at Home Depot and once I went with it, I basically stuck with it since I ended up buying a combo drill set that came with batteries (to add to my collection).
I've had my tools now for around 7+ years.

Honestly, it will get the job done if you're a recreational handyman.

If it's for a career, then you'll probably want something more robust, but if not, it's probably overkill to get a higher end brand.
This is basically the bottom line, if you just want to hang a picture, or do light work around the house on the weekends, the ryobi stuff will probably do you.

Those of us who rely on our tools to get a job done, and are getting paid for it, wouldn't even waste our time with that shit. The reality is a tool may last a weekend warrior 5+ years. The owner of that tool is the only one touching it, and they paid for it, and they take care of it. The professional use case is totally different, to showcase that difference I literally just walked out to my tool crib to take a picture of a few tools:

Portable Corded Bandsaw, This tool is 3 months old. Still works, but you can see it has been put through the ringer. I know exactly when I bought that tool because it is assetized and tracked. Milwaukee portable bandsaws are junk, you want the Makita ones, they have the biggest Jaw so you can cut larger material.

Angle Grinders. Makita is the gold standard for corded grinders. Cordless are great, but if you are doing any sort of heavy fabricating or cutting you need a corded one. Dewalt I've heard has gotten good, but makita is the industry standard grinder. Same goes for die grinders. All those tools in this picture (except for the 7" grinder) are a month old.

This 1/2" milwaukee is 3 weeks old. The hilti 1/4" was bought last week.

Another Milwaukee - this is also only a monthish old.

My guys can put what is probably 3 years of amateur use, in less than a month.

For professional tools, I've bought it all, yellow, red, blue, german, japanese, domestic. Dont matter. We put them all through their paces, and ultimately over the years I've found what lasts the longest, and has the best features, and that's what I buy.

It's fine to say "I just want something that will do the job for me in my house", in that case by all means go buy ryobi, or worx, or whatever. But if your a tool guy, or you want the actual best, and you dont want to buy multiple systems, you can't go wrong with Milwaukee.

And if your tools pay your bills, and you dont know what to buy, I'll tell you what I do, I just buy the most expensive fucking thing out there, and pray that one of the guys doesn't immediately break it. Because I've watched a guy removing a brand new rotary laser out of the Hilti case and drop it. Boom $2000 gone.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2021, 12:23 PM   #31
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Hilti is the gold standard for any heavy duty equipment and their service is unmatched really

Funny though I’ve known a couple carpenters who’ve dropped the big bucks on Festool products only to have them break shortly after warantee. Most of them have the attitude now of buying a Dewalt mitre saw etc. And just going through 2-3 in a few year period as opposed to having to wait on warantees from the more expensive companies
Old 05-27-2021, 12:38 PM   #32
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,735 Times in 955 Posts
FUEL
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Hilti is the gold standard for any heavy duty equipment and their service is unmatched really

Funny though I’ve known a couple carpenters who’ve dropped the big bucks on Festool products only to have them break shortly after warantee. Most of them have the attitude now of buying a Dewalt mitre saw etc. And just going through 2-3 in a few year period as opposed to having to wait on warantees from the more expensive companies
Hilti is great, I can drop a 1/2" Impact off a 20' ledge, pickup all 16 pieces, put them in a plastic bag, and ship them back to Hilti, as long as that tool was purchased within the last two years they will mail me a new one without even questioning why that tool might have tire marks on it or whatever.

And under their fleet program, with the number of tools I have each tool is actually rather reasonably priced. The other big benefit is that because they are more industrial type tools, i have better luck with people not stealing them from me. Cause they wont have the batteries and other tools that match.

The issue with Hilti is their selection, they just dont have certain tools that I need. In some instances though they also have awesome tools that nobody else has, stuff like their rotary laser are indispensable tools for my work scope. I want to try their optical level out, but I have several Nokia Builders levels that are still perfectly fine.

I vary between stabila and hilti for line lasers and measuring devices. a 5 point laser is a 5 point laser, I buy whatever is available, cause the moment someone drops it is the moment it might as well go in the garbage.

This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #34
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,215 Times in 1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Spoiler!

So buy Milwaukee M18 Fuel if you can swing it at home because I will never break it with my home use?

How long do your drills and impacts last? Sounds like you go through one every few months, maybe a year.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:54 PM   #35
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
As a trades guy

Makita Corded.
Milwaukee Battery.

I have the same Makita grinder from 2010, and it still works great. I've replaced the cord twice (trigger lock. wirewheel. gg)
But it's done thousands of welds, and doesn't skip a beat.
I'm currently alternating between my Metabo Flathead and Walter grinder, and they're just as good. Only time will tell.

If you ever burn out a motor on a tool. Either you were doing something wrong, or it was the wrong tool for the job. Simple as.

Every GC, Plumber, Electrician, and Welder I know has switched out to Milwaukee. Most Mechanics too, but some are holding out on thier Snapon for the warranty.

Im not saying the other brand tools wont do the job for the average DIY'er, but Milwaukee is the current industry leader for a reason. But I'm sure every company, like a youtuber, would run a Sponsored product for free and advertise it willingly. But if it's your own dollar...
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:10 PM   #36

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Mighty car mods have been running Ryobi way before they where sponsored. For home use Ryobi is the way to go because how often are you going to use them? The makerspace I am a part of with somewhere around 80 members uses ryobi. 3 years and we have only had one problem that a member fixed with a $26 part.
Old 05-28-2021, 02:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
So buy Milwaukee M18 Fuel if you can swing it at home because I will never break it with my home use?
Pretty much. Buy once, cry once. The reality is I like tools, I watch AvE on youtube, I research features on new tools that launch, etc. So even not being in the industry like I am, I would probably be buying lots of tools because I like to tinker, and work on my own shit, and when I do, I want to play with nice stuff. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
How long do your drills and impacts last? Sounds like you go through one every few months, maybe a year.
Varies wildly, 1/2" impacts, and drills especially just get beat on relentlessly, assuming a tool doesn't get dropped, or submerged in water, I'd say 6-9 months. Ocasionally you might get the odd tool that sits on a back shelf or in a knack box that lasts a year or more only because it sees less use.

But if a crew is using the tool in their work day-in, day-out, I'm not getting much more than 9 months out of it.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:43 PM   #38
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Milwaukee M18 1/2" mid-torque was a game changer for me. I hardly use the high torque anymore.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:46 PM   #39

I think stuff used for work and stuff used for DIY land in pretty different categories. Using DIY-grade tools for work will kill them in no time, and using pro grade tools for DIY use seems like a waste of money. From what I've seen anyways the amount of abuse a DIYer throws at a tool doesn't hold a candle to what a contractor needs it to put up with.

If meme is getting 9 months of daily professional use out of a Milwaukee, say it's used 6hrs a day that's about 1,100 hrs. Most tools I'm gonna guess I use max 20 hours a year, if that, so it'd take me 55 years to use it the same amount and I'm going to be using it in much gentler conditions. That's way beyond how long I need it to last, so there's not much point paying the extra for that. Depends how hard you are on your stuff too though. In 17 years I've only had 2 Stanley ratchets, a no-name heat gun and a Power Fist grinder break. All my other cheap tools are still kicking.

Speaking of 1/2" impacts, how much torque do you guys find is too much? Obviously the ones with 1,000+ ftlbs are super tempting but I imagine that's just extra size and weight for nothing when you don't actually need that many ugga duggas on tap. Do they take longer to stop spinning than the lower powered ones?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 05-28-2021, 10:40 PM   #40
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
The community Milwaukee's in our tool crib at work have gotten the shit kicked out of them daily the last few years and still work fine. They get dropped all the time, sit in rain, mud etc.

If I had to buy my own shit to use at work I buy them for sure.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2021, 07:10 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post

Speaking of 1/2" impacts, how much torque do you guys find is too much? Obviously the ones with 1,000+ ftlbs are super tempting but I imagine that's just extra size and weight for nothing when you don't actually need that many ugga duggas on tap. Do they take longer to stop spinning than the lower powered ones?
There's no such thing has too much torque, but it's all about what your trying to do. Unless your undoing bumper bolts on a heavy duty truck, or subframe bolts or something like this, I'd say your far more likely to reach for a compact 1/2" as it will have more than enough torque to break some lug nuts, or small bolts on most vehicles.

To be honest, I got that new 3/8" stubby impact, and I grab that for even the lug nuts on my truck, and it takes them off no issue, might take an extra second compared to the 1/2" model, but it's way lighter and more convenient.

Theres no difference in wind down time on any impact, the modern mechanism for impact drivers means that as soon as you let go of the trigger it wont smack another round, this is especially true with the new age brushless motors on cordless tools.

This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2021, 10:30 PM   #42

I think the heaviest duty stuff I've done is a few axle nuts and a pinion nut that has a torque spec of 300 ftlbs so I imagine those ~600ftlb units would be more than enough for me. Realistically it's going to be zipping lugnuts off or raising the jack I cut the handle off most of the time.

It's good to know they stop right away, my only experience with really powerful stuff is the giant Makita drill I have. It's got so much momentum it takes forever to actually stop turning once you let off the trigger.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-30-2021, 09:16 PM   #43
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
<M10 - 1/4" impact or 3/8" ratchet
M10 - M20 - 1/2" mid torque
>M20 or headbolts/main caps - 1/2" high torque or crack loose with a breaker bar

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2021, 01:31 PM   #44
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I watch AvE on youtube,
I watch AvE's tool reviews as well, but I find this guy's reviews much more useful since he has some semblance of repeatable and quantitative testing to develop his results:

2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2021, 04:28 PM   #45
all work and no play

Just enjoying the input in this thread.

I'm also trying to consolidate my hobby home tools into one battery system and was leaning towards Ryobi for the price and availability.
fuzebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:05 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I watch AvE's tool reviews as well, but I find this guy's reviews much more useful since he has some semblance of repeatable and quantitative testing to develop his results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpjBJ8aQ3NE
Yeah I've seen those reviews, and they are interesting to watch to see how some cheap manufacturers are quickly catching up to brand name tools. Some of the tests though are like why the fuck are you testing that.

AvE is a genius, no two ways about it, I wish I could get to know the guy, he's obviously got some sort of electrical background, he also seems to have done his fair share of machinist/millwrighting work, it's impressive to watch someone with his level of knowledge speak to things.

Just go watch his review of the first hilti drill he got on his channel. Talking about the injection molding of the handle, the glass fiber reinforced plastic, the quality of the trigger switch, the stages to the machining of the pinion gear and the main drive mechanism. It's impressive stuff, and a lot of what he says although very technical, and probably boring to a lot of people directly correlates to the longevity of a tool.