REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 07-16-2021, 06:00 AM   #1
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,647 Times in 2,303 Posts
Steam Deck

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/hardware

Reservations will open Friday July 16th, 10am PDT

CDN PRICES (64GB eMMC $499 / 256GB NVMe $659 / 512GB NVMe $819)

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/15/2...ng-handheld-pc

Quote:
Valve just announced the Steam Deck, its long-rumored Switch-like handheld gaming device. It will begin shipping in December and reservations open July 16th at 1PM ET. It starts at $399 USD, and you can buy it in $529 USD and $649 USD models as well.

The device has an AMD APU containing a quad-core Zen 2 CPU with eight threads and 8 compute units’ worth of AMD RDNA 2 graphics, alongside 16GB of LPDDR5 RAM. There are three different storage tiers: 64GB eMMC storage for $399, 256GB NVMe SSD storage for $529, and 512GB of high-speed NVME SSD storage for $649, according to Valve. You can also expand the available storage using the available high-speed microSD card slot.

The Steam Deck has a huge number of control options. There are two thumbsticks, but also two small, Steam Controller-style trackpads beneath the thumbsticks, which could give you more precision for things like first-person shooters. The front of the Steam Deck also has ABXY buttons, a D-pad, and a 7-inch 1280 x 800 touchscreen for 720p gameplay. The device also has a gyroscope for motion controls. Like the Switch, it has two shoulder triggers on each side, and there are four back buttons (two on each side) as well as built-in microphones.

As for the battery, “Steam Deck’s onboard 40 watt-hour battery provides several hours of play time for most games,” Valve says. “For lighter use cases like game streaming, smaller 2D games, or web browsing, you can expect to get the maximum battery life of approximately 7-8 hours.” Valve tells IGN that “You can play Portal 2 for four hours on this thing. If you limit it to 30 FPS, you’re going to be playing for 5-6 hours.”

And if you need to pause your game, the Steam Deck offers a quick suspend / resume feature built into SteamOS that will let you put the device into sleep mode and pick up where you left off later.

Valve will also sell a dock you can use to prop up a Steam Deck and plug it into external displays like a TV. You won’t need a dock to plug it into a TV, though — Valve says that the “Deck can be plugged in to your TV, monitor, or even your old CRT if you have the right cables.” The Deck comes with fully-fledged USB-C ports that contain HDMI, Ethernet and USB data, as well as standard Bluetooth. You’ll have native Bluetooth audio, something that’s missing from the Nintendo Switch.

On the software side of things, the Steam Deck runs what Valve is calling “a new version of SteamOS,” that it’s optimized for the handheld’s mobile form factor. But the actual OS is based on Linux, and will use Proton as a compatibility layer to allow Windows-based games to run without requiring that developers specifically port them for the Steam Deck.

Ultimately, though, the Steam Deck is still a full-fledged Linux computer, meaning that more technical users will be able to jump out to the regular Linux desktop, too. Valve notes that you’ll be able to plug in a mouse, keyboard, and monitor, and install other game stores, regular PC software, browse the web, and more.

Valve says the Steam Deck’s features are designed to emulate the regular Steam app on desktop, complete with chat, notifications, cloud save support, and all of your library, collections, and favorites kept in sync. And if you want more power, you’ll be able to stream games to the Steam Deck directly from your gaming PC using Valve’s Remote Play feature.
you should at least get the 256GB NVMe SSD version minimum. thats what Im eyeing.

Advertisement

Last edited by Vansterdam; 07-16-2021 at 07:57 AM.
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:36 AM   #2
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Reserved the 256GB myself.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:50 AM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Reserved the 256GB myself.
Did you forget rule number 1?

Old 07-16-2021, 12:41 PM   #4
Say! Say! Say!

It's a reservation to buy it at a later date. I think we'll see reviews by then.
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Old 07-16-2021, 02:55 PM   #5
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
Looks like a really cool device. Personally I have no need for something like it, but still cool. I'd highly recommend springing for the NVMe version if you intend to install stuff on it rather than mostly stream with it, but there's quite a big price gap there.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:57 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
This will probably do better than those Steam Machines they tried selling a few years ago lol.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2021, 04:05 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
not gonna hold my breath for reasonable stock levels for the first year
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:15 AM   #8
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i remember when portable handhelds "died" off and the last successful one was the DS Lite and switch kind of brought it back.

looks like we're making a comeback with the trend ... but i guess this is essentially a more portable pc than a laptop.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #9

Thanked 4,561 Times in 1,711 Posts
^I really don't see the market for this.

It seems that people primary game at home, so what does this really offer? You can play games on your phone, you going to lug this thing around the city or on trips?

Perhaps I'm out to lunch here?
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:39 PM   #10
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
According to Nintendo, about 80% of their Switch users play games at home and on the road with around a 50/50 split. The remaining 20% use it either exclusively at home or exclusively handheld. They've sold a LOT of consoles, so clearly there's a big market for something that can do both.

I remember like 20 years ago when it started looking feasible, we would talk about having a powerful computer that you take with you and dock at home and wherever else. This was before smartphones were a thing, which kind of made that unnecessary, but somehow it happened anyway because phones are such bad gaming devices.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-17-2021, 07:18 PM   #11
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
^^^ I remember guys on the celica forum would install a pc/Windows into their centre console, always thought that would be neat to try out, but yeah, smartphones

Reserved the 512gb model, but Q3 2022 delivery? Ouch
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:47 AM   #12
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i figured nintendo sold a ton of switch lite so maybe steam saw the market for it?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:59 AM   #13

Thanked 4,561 Times in 1,711 Posts
But that's Nintendo, which have always lead the portable market.

They also have their own exclusive IPs, so I'd almost lump Nintendo into a box of its own, it's not comparable.

This product is a glorified mini-computer, why would you play Steam games on this thing as opposed to a laptop/PC?
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:03 PM   #14
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
i thought they said 2021 December release date, what the fuck is 2022?
i was going to pre-order but i really need to see hands-on review from actual real users of the final product...

Yeah people have smart phones but it's nice to game and text NOT ON THE SAME DEVICE.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:15 PM   #15
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
zen2 is gonna be dinosaur by q3 2022 lol
great idea but few years too late..i remember backing a kickstarter like this in 2015
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
But that's Nintendo, which have always lead the portable market.

They also have their own exclusive IPs, so I'd almost lump Nintendo into a box of its own, it's not comparable.

This product is a glorified mini-computer, why would you play Steam games on this thing as opposed to a laptop/PC?
Because you can't take a shit while playing on a PC. It doesn't just play steam games if can play any game a PC can play. Emulators would be big for this. I think they even have a switch emulator.

Looks like all versions will have an M.2 slot so the 64gig version may be the way to go and just add your own SSD.

Quote:
hen is the Steam Deck release date?

The Steam Deck will begin shipping in December 2021.

However, that doesn't mean if you reserved one you'll receive it this year, as the Steam Deck site is now showing "expected order availability" in Q1 of 2022 for the 64GB version, Q2 2022 for the 256GB version, and Q3 2022 for the 512GB version. This may vary depending on your region, however. We'll update when we know more.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:17 PM   #17
in the butt

Thanked 3,217 Times in 1,181 Posts
This will never replace my laptop, nor will it be used as much
I played 50hrs on the switch for a few games, sold it after it sat around for months

Not buying

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2021, 04:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
This will never replace my laptop, nor will it be used as much
I played 50hrs on the switch for a few games, sold it after it sat around for months

Not buying
it's not meant to replace your laptop.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:42 PM   #19
in the butt

Thanked 3,217 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
it's not meant to replace your laptop.
Wait... Really?

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:13 PM   #20
ESKETIT

pair this up with one of those Bluetooth Mini wireless keyboards or any Bluetooth gaming controller like the ps5/Xbox and your set.

I could see it being able to pair up with a Bluetooth mouse+ keyboard combo

Especially if it supports Xbox games pass.

And epic Games giving out free games every week/month this shit is solid.

Just shitty battery life but I mean everyone should have a portable powerbank by now.

I got a December 2021 preorder date.. so If i can get it before Christmas, might just flip it and get the 512gb version if reviews are good
Old 08-06-2021, 12:20 PM   #21

This post FAILED by:
Old 08-06-2021, 03:03 PM   #22
Say! Say! Say!

That is a lot larger than I thought it would be.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #23
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Steam Deck Shipping Update
Quote:
Hello

The launch of Steam Deck will be delayed by two months. We're sorry about this—we did our best to work around the global supply chain issues, but due to material shortages, components aren’t reaching our manufacturing facilities in time for us to meet our initial launch dates.

Based on our updated build estimates, Steam Deck will start shipping February 2022. This will be the new start date of the reservation queue—you will keep your place in line but dates will shift back accordingly. Reservation date estimates will be updated shortly after this announcement.

Again, we're sorry we won’t be able to make our original ship date. We'll continue working to improve reservation dates based on the new timeline, and will keep you updated as we go.

To view your updated expected order availability and FAQ, please visit the Steam Deck store page.

Cheers,
The Steam Team
Old 03-15-2022, 09:56 PM   #24
ESKETIT

got mine in the mail today

tempted to open it.. but prob will flip it since Im one of the first to get it here lol
Old 04-05-2022, 12:07 PM   #25
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
got mine in the mail today

tempted to open it.. but prob will flip it since Im one of the first to get it here lol
Curious to know what version and what you think of it.

I am looking to get one too, i dont mind waiting for delivery. I just want a mobile gaming device that is not a Switch. haha.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote