REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 08-06-2021, 08:13 AM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Shaw mobile

Anyone switched?

Comments re service?

Price looks good. I am a Shaw internet customer.

Anything I'm missing here?
Advertisement
nismodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:50 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

My father-in-law recently switched to Shaw. He says it is pretty good in Burnaby/Vancouver, but when we went to Steveston, his reception went down to one bar and he couldn't get data to work. I believe it is on the old Freedom Mobile network, so it won't be as strong as the major carriers. Good deal though if you are primarily in urban areas.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 03:30 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
I use it, there are some dead areas here and there and i do get some missed calls here and there where my phone isnt in range for my phone to even ring but for that price, I could careless. I dont need to be connected to my phone all the time. Data is pretty slow when your inside a building or house but outside its pretty fast. I spend about $7 a month worth of data cause i try to be on wifi and shaw on the go wifi as much as possible. i went from paying $70 -> $7 a month is a huge win imo.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 03:59 PM   #4
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I tried freedom for a day, the woman at the kiosk told me I better try it out before committing to it. Good thing because there was no coverage at my house in Richmond.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:41 PM   #5
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,318 Times in 2,520 Posts
Since the OP is already a Shaw Internet customer, your cost to try Shaw Mobile out is really quite small. I think a new number + SIM card with Shaw Mobile is only going to cost you ~$50? There is no monthly cost for the voice line alone, and then it is $10 for 1GB of data with a 3-month expiration date.

You can easily try it out and see how well the service works for you. If it's good, you switch your main line to it and go from there. If not, you just leave that number and SIM card as backup. Within my extended family, I have leeched a backup phone that way. I don't really use it, it's there when I need to.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:53 AM   #6
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

^this is what I have done. I have requested a SIM. I will pop it into an old phone I have lying around and use it for my work from home purposes. I think it will do the job as long as there is signal @ my house. Wifi for data.
nismodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:18 AM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,969 Times in 3,897 Posts
I switched nearly a year ago, it went well so I switched my wife over as well. My parents and grandparents switched as well. I'm always around wifi so 1GB lasts me the whole 90 days so I went from spending $40/mo to $40/yr. Even with no data plan there's enough of a connection for text sent via messaging apps (Signal, etc) to come through, just don't expect to load photos. Other than a weird dead spot at my one buddies place near the edge of town service has been great.

Because they're cheap I got a couple extra SIM cards so I can turn an old phone into a GPS tracker for my car. Getting a full plan just for that was too pricey but $40/yr is cheap insurance.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote