REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 09-06-2021, 05:13 PM   #1
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Renting a car abroad/Europe

So this seems to be a topic with so much to interpret id rather get first hand experiences over trying to decipher a rental companies website etc.

Wife and I are looking to travel between 3 and 4 months in starting in sept 2022. We are going to be trying to go to Oktoberfest 2022 and then have a wedding in Dublin in early October.

From there we will be going back south to Portugal or France and wanting to basically have the freedom of having a vehicle for extended periods of time.

For anyone with the experience is it advantageous to rent from one place, go into multiple countries, and return in a different country. Or should we be renting individual cars in each country and then gauging the cost of returning in a different city, country, or returning to the original location?

My wife recently became a Portuguese citizen and will hold an EU passport shortly however in a quick search it seems as if to own a vehicle in Portugal you need to have a fixed address etc. So that may not be feasible. Any input would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2021, 07:13 PM   #2
in the butt

Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,171 Posts
Consider buying a car instead, then selling it.
Was in australia for 4 months, got a 07 mazda 3 for 4k, sold it for 3k when i left
1000$ for no hassle

Ps, skip octoberfest, i keep hearing its endless lineups and crowds. Unless thats what your into, then bring popsicles to share

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:17 PM   #3
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
It seems like it’s relatively hard to purchase a card without a fixed address..at least in Portugal.

I’ve come across some recommendations of auto manufacturers such as Renault etc. Doing short term leases which may work out. Did you not need a local address to buy and insure the vehicle?
Old 09-08-2021, 10:00 AM   #4
private modder

Thanked 2,606 Times in 732 Posts
One tip I have when renting is Europe they are lot pickier with respect to rental car damage. In North America, scratches/dings/dents don't seem to matter. You drop the rental car off at the airport and the guy/gal barely gives a hoot when checking it over. Usually it's that FML attitude.

In Europe though, they look at the car very very closely and they will charge you for even the smallest thing. So make sure you have insurance to cover it. In France I accidentally curbed a rim when parking and the dude was all over it unfortunately, where as in N America I don't think they would have cared.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2021, 02:03 PM   #5
in the butt

Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,171 Posts
In australia, i gave them my airbnb address, probably changed addresses 6 times while i was down there.

Canada DL, good to go.

They didnt care, quick in and out, the same as insurance here.

I did sign up for the international drivers licence, never had to use it, until me and my brother got pulled over in thailand, he got a 50$ fine, i didnt. (scooters)
Might be worth looking into for your europe trip, i think i got it done at bcaa.

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2021, 08:28 AM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
for a short trip did car hire from nice airport, went to monaco a bit, did the rest of the french riveria and dropped off at train station before Spanish border en route to barcelona, was more cost effective this way

not exactly applicable to your longer term situation, good luck
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote