REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-07-2021, 07:15 AM   #1
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Looking to import a car from Hong Kong into Vancouver - need help

Just planning ahead, looking to move back and bringing my IS300 in HK back with me.

Car is over 15 years old so it will be exempt from the Motor Vehicle Safety Act. It will still need to go through provincial inspection.

Anyone knows any reputable company that provides importation/inspection services in BC? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:43 AM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
impactX

I PM'd you with more details, but first place comes to mind for inspection is The Speed Syndicate. I'm afraid I don't know enough about the importation part unfortunately. Hopefully someone can chime in on this.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2021, 10:03 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
You can contact support@RIV.ca and they can point you in the right direction regarding how to import the car. I'm not sure if TSS will do out of province inspections but it took a while to find a shop that was willing to do JDM cars for me personally. Some shops will do inspections for BC vehicles only, some will do OOP but refuse to work on JDM cars. Your car will also need to go through customs and I've found it easier to get a company to do it for you versus doing it yourself. The couple hundred dollars is definitely worth it to save the headache.

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2021, 04:31 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
wow...impactx is still here...lol and you are moving back?! wHYYY?
have you figured out how to dereg the license in HK and send the car to the near port? any company is doing it?
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2021, 04:53 PM   #5
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
wow...impactx is still here...lol and you are moving back?! wHYYY?
have you figured out how to dereg the license in HK and send the car to the near port? any company is doing it?
Not yet moving back but planning to in the coming years. I think TD won’t care if my car is still registered, as I will need to show CBSA that the title of the car belongs to me.

There are plenty of companies that would ship to UK or Australia, but I have not found one yet that would ship to Canada. I guess it is simply not common for someone to keep a car for over 6 years in Hong Kong, let alone the 15 years required to import it into Canada. I will be asking around more actively.

Edit: I got your pm from last year lol, will be in contact

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:45 AM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
yes, people generally sell their car before 6yrs, but it is strange how much young people are spending on buying 20yrs old JDM.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:40 AM   #7
I don't get it

RIV isn't going to help here.

I used Courtney Agency (Courtney.ca) to deal with Customs and arrange for the car to be moved from the dock to a decent warehouse on Annacis Island.

They were very helpful, and things were generally easy, but if I was looking to save some money I think I'd find someone else to pickup the container and destuff it.

I've had to call around a few places for inspection. ICBC seems to be going after a lot of these guys and very few are willing to risk sticking their neck out to approve a RHD car even if it's safe. I think they are worried that there is an obscure problem that they'll miss and ICBC will throw the book at them. It's absolute BS, but that's ICBC for you. 7 years ago I had my defender approved with zero hassle, but it's just not that easy anymore.

Keep the reg handy, and something to backup your declared value and you obviously need your BOL. If you ship anything else in the same container you'll need to declare the value of that too.

You will need a binder of insurance to drive it home. Most brokers try to make it seem like if you don't get it inspected and registered by the end of that binder then you're boned. However, you can get a day reg after that for an inspection if you need to.

I would have to think there's a direct route from HK to Vancouver, so it shouldn't be hard to have a container brought over. Maybe RoRo is a little more tricky.
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote