REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-15-2021, 12:54 PM   #1
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
Purchasing a Vehicle with no Record of Registration

This might not deserve its own thread, but I'm looking for first hand experiences-- I'm pursuing a used vehicle that has lost its registration (no record of registration), but comes with a bill of sale.

My main concerns are:
  • Timeline and overall turnaround
  • Completing a statutory declaration
  • VIN application

I've got this ICBC resource but I specifically would love to hear someone's first hand experience dealing with this.

Was it worth the hassle? Did it take long to complete? Were there any setbacks?
Advertisement

Last edited by FN-2199; 10-15-2021 at 01:00 PM.
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:15 PM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,701 Times in 1,049 Posts
I sort of went through this process. I wanted to buy an old bike from a family acquaintance but I wanted real papers to go with it.

He followed your attached resource link precisely - and was able to easily obtain ownership papers. The notary walked him right through it. The process only took a couple of days IIRC

At that point I paid for the bike, and was able to regi it in my name.

Granted this was 10+ years ago, but I don't recall it being any trouble

(I see that it would be more work if an inspection was required (step 5). We didn't need to do this for the old bike)

Sort of first hand experience.

Spoiler!
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2021, 07:12 PM   #3
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,354 Times in 5,070 Posts
I bought a 1971 Corolla that had no registration papers about 10 years ago...

I took the bill of sale and a declaration to the ICBC HQ in North Van and paid for a title search which happened right away... they looked up and gave me the information of the previous owner. I attended in person there rather than mail it because I didn't feel like getting a bloody money order or cheque for $7.00 lol...

I then had to send a APV9T and letter to the former owner at the address listed with a tracking# attached... eventually it came back as undeliverable and then ICBC allowd me to complete the transfer and register it in my name.

The longest part was waiting for the tracking to show up undeliverable.

There is some risk, there's a chance the previous registered owner could say "Hey I never sold that" and lay claim to it... after you already paid money and it could get ugly haha... but yah... I was confident in my case because after I got the info I looked the person up and saw they had died, but I suppose their estate could have laid claim to it.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:18 PM   #4
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Does the car have a VIN?

I did this with my abandoned civic in 2019, it took over 6 months. I called the office in N Van multiple times. There has to be at least 3 people in that department, from the sounds of it they each handle maybe 1 piece of paper per day. After it was all said and done my takeaway for the next time (before covid) was to hand deliver the mail to the office in N van. Not sure if they will let you do that with covid. I figured I can stamp at least 1 page a minute, no idea why these bastards are so lazy. I can't imagine they are trying to process thousands of vehicles.

In my case the original owner showed up and he signed the transfer papers.

I made a vid but never posted it. Here were my thoughts at the time.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:24 PM   #5
Performance Moderator

I used to do a lot of work in section 235... Vehicle Registration... there's like 15 people in there + 2 for the collector plate program...

They're EXTREMELY busy... they do everything for vehicles and trailers and whatever else licensed you can think of that doesn't have status for the whole province as well as ANY issues that arise with registrations for vehicles that get kicked back from autoplan agents or CS call-ins...

They had no less than 2 people dedicated just to the specialized work I was involved in... but at the same time if you end up with a loser you end up with a loser and like every workplace there's some real losers.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:55 AM   #6
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
The info above is all you should really need.

Just want to add that when buying a vehicle with no reg, it's only worth its value as a parts car. I've seen a lot of people go through the trouble of doing repairs before actually getting it reg'd in their name. Big no-no.

Take care of proper ownership first, otherwise consider it a parts car.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2021, 01:04 PM   #7
Performance Moderator

^ Yah this is very important... I was paying $800 for the car I bought so if it had failed I wouldn't really have been out