REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 10-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Looks like the new macbook pro has a notch

This shits getting ridiculous.
Advertisement
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-18-2021, 12:04 PM   #2
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Those images are incorrect.

This is what it actually looks like in use depending on the application.

I don't really see what the problem is.

Either you have the notch with more real estate in the corners or you have a standard bezel at the top. Keep in mind that the standard bezel still looks to be smaller when compared to my M1 Air.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:40 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
I think it was ok. I don't see too much of a problem anyway since that's where the status bar sits anyway and I don't have anything by that area. And I often run it on an external display anyway. So, no biggie. But I don't know why Apple decided to not put FaceID into it considering they are doing the notch.

Ordered a 14" M1Max with 64GB of ram to replace my 2016 MBP after 5yrs. It has been a dog trying to edit 4k videos, which I'm doing more and more stuff on that format as I used to just do 1080p. It literally cannot drive 4k videos without stuttering every so often in FCP. So much so that I'm doing editing works by borrowing my wife's M1 MBA where it can actually run without stuttering.

But kudos to Apple that the 5yrs has been flawless other than hardware starting to show their age with heavy stuff. Oh, and the battery bulged, which was fixed under Applecare+ almost at the end of it (1mth to expire), and got a brand new battery and bottom cover, everything has been flawless. Definitely got my money worth on this MBP.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:48 PM   #4
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
I personally would prefer a small bezel over having a camera part of a status bar sometimes while others it's in the middle of the fucking view. What does it look like when watching a movie (or editing one)? I assume the entire picture is shrunk down to make a 'virtual bezel', and then what's the point?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:57 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
It doesn't come into the view at all.

It's roughly 16:10 ratio, so there's always a black bar top and bottom unless you choose to scale. As for editing/working, MacOS has the menu bar (File/Edit/View... etc) at the very top, regardless the app you are running. Even in full-screen mode of some apps, which I hate with a passion and would go out of my way to avoid it, it's not exactly a prime portion of screen real estate as there's rarely ever anything there and the menu bar would still drop as soon as you move your mouse at the top.

Think it another way, they basically made the screen slightly bigger that allow the menu bar to fit semi-permanently in the "new" space and nothing much else.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:42 PM   #6
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Think it another way, they basically made the screen slightly bigger that allow the menu bar to fit semi-permanently in the "new" space and nothing much else.
That's what they said about notches on phones, yet here we are in 2021 and I still run into apps that don't work well with the notch.

For a laptop though, it is probably less of an issue due to the limited top real estate a phone has for gestures and buttons.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:35 PM   #7
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
You gotta remember the top of Mac OS especially in the centre is blank.

Movies will be fine, the screen is 16:10 (taller) so you'll get black bars
Editting, that top status bar is there anyways, won't affect anything. If you do full screen it just moves the screen down but most people don't run full screen anyways.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:21 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Those images are incorrect.

This is what it actually looks like in use depending on the application.

I don't really see what the problem is.

Either you have the notch with more real estate in the corners or you have a standard bezel at the top. Keep in mind that the standard bezel still looks to be smaller when compared to my M1 Air.
You can actually have no notch and small bezels. My 3 year old Dell XPS has about 1/4" bezels on the top with an integrated camera on it. Apple can have the best of both worlds but they are just being lazy with their design because Apple fanboys will still buy it.

Full credit to apple though for bringing back the magsafe and ditching the touch bar. I wish more companies (i'm looking at you dell) would put the magsafe on their laptops.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:24 PM   #9
Say! Say! Say!

Yeah, it's possible, but it's probably a mix of it being both a design choice and a larger webcam sensor. Won't be able to confirm until there's a full teardown.

I placed an order for some Macs and we have a 14" MBP coming in next week. Interested to see how nice the mini LED screen will look.

The return of the ports all made sense. People are saying the departure of Jony Ives has allowed Apple to revert back to more traditional and practical designs.
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:18 PM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
On the bright side it has a HDMI port and an SD card slot. Having a notch is just going to make it harder to repair.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:24 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I still find it hilarious that we are praising Apple for including ports that almost every other laptop has.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2021, 08:39 PM   #12
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,170 Times in 1,552 Posts
it took a lot of courage to bring those ports back
Old 10-23-2021, 11:40 AM   #13
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:30 PM   #14
Say! Say! Say!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-pros.2319036/