REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 10-31-2021, 03:34 PM   #1
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Recommendations: Monitor for WFH

Hi RS'ers,

At the encouragement from TOS'd, I'm looking to the fine netizens of Revscene to point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a monitor (or two) primarily for WFH purposes. I do not game, so this is not important. Said monitor(s) will be connected to a laptop with a docking station and I think it should support HDMI and Display Port (just not VGA.)

Primary applications are Microsoft Outlook, Teams, Excel, Powerpoint, Google Chrome. I can get away with just one monitor but two would be a nice to have (but not mandatory. I've been out of the computer world for a while now and not up to date as to what's hot, what's cool, and what to avoid.

TOS'd did recommend or at least consider a single 49" monitor but I'm not sure how that would gel with my usage. Pros, cons, suggestions, recommendations, and do not touch with a 10-foot pole types appreciated. Thank you all in advance. Thanks!

Regards,

bcrdukes
Advertisement
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:12 PM   #2
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
We use Dell P24XX at my workplace. Good 1080p monitors with a great stand and multiple input support.

I did the 49" for a while. Worked great, but I went down to a 34" instead as my desk was fairly narrow in depth causing eye strain. I'd probably recommend a 42-43" if you want something like that.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2021, 04:47 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
we also use Dell P series at work. very nice and lots of inputs to choose from to the docking station. lots of people like it since they are able to adjust height
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2021, 05:29 PM   #4
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
I went down to a 34" instead as my desk was fairly narrow in depth causing eye strain. I'd probably recommend a 42-43" if you want something like that.
Thanks for calling this out.

I haven't purchased a desk yet so this would be good to factor in. I don't like having the monitor super close to me. I'll check out the Dell P series monitors.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:48 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,533 Times in 1,520 Posts
I use two 28" 4K monitors. Would not recommend 4K. Screen real estate is great but everything is so damn small. If you get a monitor arm make sure that it's the pneumatic type. I got the Vivo.

The monitor arm is great for saving desk space.

Here's a pic from when I first set it up. I no longer have the laptop screen on and purchased another ThinkPad wireless keyboard.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2021, 08:49 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
No gaming? Just get the cheapest 24" monitor you can find and a dual monitor stand and you'll be golden. None of the applications you listed require anything special. I do a lot of gaming and my old asus vs247 is more than adequate.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2021, 08:51 PM   #7
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
I use two 28" 4K monitors. Would not recommend 4K. Screen real estate is great but everything is so damn small. If you get a monitor arm make sure that it's the pneumatic type. I got the Vivo.

The monitor arm is great for saving desk space.

Here's a pic from when I first set it up. I no longer have the laptop screen on and purchased another ThinkPad wireless keyboard.
I'm more interested in your desk now lol

Details please!
Old 10-31-2021, 08:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I'm more interested in your desk now lol

Details please!
Oh that ICBC money gave me some good capital to spend on quality of life mods. I use the Autonomous AI desk, regular size, bamboo top (bc they use the Ikea shit otherwise).

Wish I could tell you more about the standing desk aspect of it, but I haven't gotten around to standing hahah. I might be able to provide more input in the future, pending a career change.

Anyway, Autonomous AI desks, for me, are not worth it. I should have blew the money on a Herman Miller chair instead from RFD. I'd recommend getting the legs from another company and a countertop from Ikea.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2021, 09:09 PM   #9
RS Veteran

Ah, thanks for that. I see the deepest it goes is 30". I'd prefer a table top that is deeper as I don't like having the monitor right up against my face.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:48 PM   #10

Not the prettiest (or any bit aesthetically pleasing), but this is what it looks like set all the way back. Only problem with it all the way back is that there's a gap between the monitors

This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2021, 10:12 PM   #11
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Hi RS'ers,

At the encouragement from TOS'd, I'm looking to the fine netizens of Revscene to point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a monitor (or two) primarily for WFH purposes. I do not game, so this is not important. Said monitor(s) will be connected to a laptop with a docking station and I think it should support HDMI and Display Port (just not VGA.)

Primary applications are Microsoft Outlook, Teams, Excel, Powerpoint, Google Chrome. I can get away with just one monitor but two would be a nice to have (but not mandatory. I've been out of the computer world for a while now and not up to date as to what's hot, what's cool, and what to avoid.

TOS'd did recommend or at least consider a single 49" monitor but I'm not sure how that would gel with my usage. Pros, cons, suggestions, recommendations, and do not touch with a 10-foot pole types appreciated. Thank you all in advance. Thanks!

Regards,

bcrdukes
I was tRoLlInG you, don't get the 49" one. You should buy a Pro Display XDR instead.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:42 PM   #12
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
First off double check the max resolution and framerate your laptop and docking station can output, and using what kind of connections. I second avoiding 4k, a bunch of my old coworkers had 4k screens but they're kind of annoying. If you leave scaling at 100% you can see tons but everything is tiny. If you scale to 150% you can see better, but some stuff doesn't scale properly and looks like garbage.

I personally run 3x 1440 screens. They aren't very common so selection isn't the greatest, but I get to see just as much as a 4k screen at 150% scaling (2160 / 1.5 = 1440) without all the weirdness. The other downside is 1080 is so common that a lot of stuff only supports up to that, so for things like DisplayPort adapters you need to really watch what you're getting. 1080 really is the least headache as far as just getting stuff, plugging it in, and it working as it should.

I also second getting two monitors and a decent stand, I got the third for specific work/gaming scenarios so that's probably overkill for you, but after getting used to having multiple monitors going back to a single feels like as big of a hit to my productivity as typing one handed. A stand is another one of those things where once you're used to how much desk space it frees up and how much better having your monitor at a proper height is it's hard to go back.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2021, 10:48 PM   #13
in the butt

Thanked 3,222 Times in 1,184 Posts
Look up blue filter / f.lux

I dont computer for 8hrs, but rumor has it, its less strain on your eyes

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2021, 03:55 AM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Space was an issue for me, so I ran a single 31.5inch monitor (above) + laptop (below). As a work monitor, I valued real estate and color reproduction more, so I was looking for anything that was IPS and 1440p with a decent refresh rate. This worked well for me for the past 1+ year. No clue why the retail price is so high though, I picked it up for maybe $200-250.

If I could do it all over again, I'd probably try to find a 4:3 instead of using a widescreen. It's just better use of space. Distance between the user and the monitor as well as desk space is important too. Looking back, a smaller 28-30 inch monitor would've served me better. Having a giant light panel in front for numerous hours likely affected my vision in the past year. So in my case, bigger is not always better.

Going to also hijack this post a little. If anyone has recommendations for a good computer desk, please drop a link. I'm moving into a larger space soon, so I'm hoping to find something with a little more depth.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2021, 07:25 AM   #15
RS Veteran

So I will primarily be using my Microsoft Surface Pro 6 with an Intel i5 processer along with the docking station.

As per Microsoft, display resolution using a single or dual monitor setup with the docking station supports up to 120Hz - 3840 x 2160. I'm guessing I should be okay with a 27" monitor (or two?)
Old 11-01-2021, 07:32 AM   #16
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Look up blue filter / f.lux

I dont computer for 8hrs, but rumor has it, its less strain on your eyes
I have the blue lens filter/coating (or whatever the hell it is) on my recent prescription lenses and I find that my eyes aren't anywhere near as strained as compared to the anti-reflective coating you normally would get (the green looking one.) I do recommend anyone who spends 8+ hours a day in front of a computer monitor to get it.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:35 AM   #17
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
I have the blue lens filter/coating (or whatever the hell it is) on my recent prescription lenses and I find that my eyes aren't anywhere near as strained as compared to the anti-reflective coating you normally would get (the green looking one.) I do recommend anyone who spends 8+ hours a day in front of a computer monitor to get it.
I suggest getting some RFLCT skincare products as well. The science is proven, or at least they claim it to be.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:26 AM   #18
RS Veteran

STFU TOS'd
Old 11-01-2021, 09:47 AM   #19
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
I have two of these https://www.amazon.ca/HP-EliteDispla.../dp/B0756H5DF4 , supplied by my work though. They are really good monitors however. The bezels are really small so you can put them right next to each other.

I don't think these are 4k resolution though, i think they are capped at 1080.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2021, 09:55 AM   #20
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
I am using two monitors that came out in 2010 and it's been great for a two-monitor setup.
You don't need any fancy expensive monitor to achieve the same results.

Go on Facebook marketplace and get a decent cheap cheap.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #21
RS Veteran

I am ok w/o 4K (would be a colossal waste for me.) I need video conferencing capability on MS Teams and Google Meet as well so I got to figure that part out.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:15 AM   #22
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,174 Posts
Quote:
I am ok w/o 4K (would be a colossal waste for me.) I need video conferencing capability on MS Teams and Google Meet as well so I got to figure that part out.
Two 1440p monitors + a webcam. Don't get a built in webcam.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2021, 12:28 PM   #23
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
TDon't get a built in webcam.
Got it. Thanks for that.

Why not get one that's built in? I dont know anyone who has one.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:51 PM   #24
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,174 Posts
Lenovo and I think Dell makes some models with built-in webcams. They're generally not great, and also if they break then you're SOL.

I'm a big fan of LG or Dell for the 1440p monitors (they use the same panel supplied by LG I think) as they have nice colour reproduction and are good quality.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2021, 02:59 PM   #25
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Costco has a 2 pack of monitors for around $300. 2 24 inch HP 1080p IPS displays.

Features:
Panel type: IPS with LED backlight
Viewing angles: 178° horizontal, 178° vertical
Resolution: FHD 1920 x 1080
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Refresh rate: 75 Hz
Contrast: 1000:1
Brightness: 300 cd/mē
Response Time: 5 ms
Tilt angle: -5° to 25°

Connectivity:
1 x HDMI
1 x VGA
1 x Audio in/ audio out

Specifications:
Dimensions per monitor: (W x D x H): 54.1 cm x 18.4 cm x 40.1 cm (21.3 in. x 7.23 in. x 16.1 in.)
Weight: 3.03 kg (6.7 lb.)