REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-26-2021, 09:21 PM   #26
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkttsang View Post
Do you guys turn off the external pipes for the winter and for this cold snap.

Do you juts wrap the faucet?

Have you had any issues if you have never winterized in the past Vancouver winters.
Turn the bib off through the ball valve inside your house. This should cut off any water from the valve to the hose

After shutting the ball valve off, switch the hose on to drain the remaining water from the pipe.
Advertisement

My Buyer / Seller Rating
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60152...o-6-0-0-a.html
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:49 AM   #27
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
lol never knew these existed either. This topic just came up at our complex today and in previous years we just advise to unhook all the hoses from the bibs and that's it.
Is this an acceptable approach when its -15?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:58 AM   #28
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Well..my water main coming into the house froze and now no water whatsoever..that’s nice..
Old 12-27-2021, 09:46 AM   #29
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Well..my water main coming into the house froze and now no water whatsoever..that’s nice..
At work in the past we've hooked up a small electric current to the property line shut off valve and opened up a tap until water would come through. Tell the homeowner to keep a tap open for the next several hours and even a low stream over night in to a sink to prevent it from freezing again.
Give the city a call. They'll have their dispatch # for 24/7 emergencies somewhere on their site. If possible they could potentially send a guy out to do what I just said, but today is a holiday and it wont be free. Some cities will offer it, others won't.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2021, 09:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
At work in the past we've hooked up a small electric current to the property line shut off valve and opened up a tap until water would come through. Tell the homeowner to keep a tap open for the next several hours and even a low stream over night in to a sink to prevent it from freezing again.
Give the city a call. They'll have their dispatch # for 24/7 emergencies somewhere on their site. If possible they could potentially send a guy out to do what I just said, but today is a holiday and it wont be free. Some cities will offer it, others won't.
Cool yea thanks for the idea. I can almost guarantee the issue are these clown contractors who built the basement bathroom before we had the house and didn’t insulate the main well enough coming in. I’ve got a space heater in this bathroom where the pressure relief valve is etc. so hopefully can heat up the room enough to get it flowing again
Old 12-27-2021, 10:11 AM   #31
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Not surprised if it was contractor related. I see a lot of them now using directional digging to install the water lines from water mains to property line so they dont actually have to dig a trench across a road. Works great if done right but if it hits a decent sized rock in the ground it'll deflect the pipe up and have it sitting just below ground level at maybe 12" deep. They really don't care so long as the pipe comes out the other end.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2021, 03:04 PM   #32
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Just got in from a 50 minute run outside in -27 with windchill, exposed skin on my face actually started to hurt when running into the wind.

I'm winterizing for outdoor running with 2 pairs socks, 2 pairs pants, t-shirt+long sleeve+fleece+jacket, glove liners+ski mittens, 2 toques, buff over lower face; this gear takes a solid 10 minutes to find and put on. I moved to the South Okanagan for mild winters...bring on summer already!
Old 12-27-2021, 03:09 PM   #33
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I have a friend who moved into a brand new townhouse last year in Abbotsford. over 20 Units with frozen pipes and I'm not talking just people who didn't winterize their hose bibs.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #34

Yeap.. no water still.. lol

What’s kind of fucked is, in theory the 18” or whatever of ground cover is code for getting below the frost line and you’re pipes shouldn’t freeze. However, I have a feeling it’s almost because of the amount of rain prior to this cold streak made the ground so saturated that froze easier and deeper than it would have otherwise

Last edited by Hondaracer; 12-27-2021 at 05:33 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 05:53 PM   #35
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Reminder to keep your car door seals clean, dry and maintained with silicone spray

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2021, 09:03 PM   #36
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Reminder to keep your car door seals clean, dry and maintained with silicone spray
You need to try Shin Etsu grease from Honda, that stuff is awesome for car seals.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2021, 09:06 PM   #37
in the butt

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
This year was a record for us, were closed until tomorrow
hvac/plumbing

The plumber yesterday had 14 calls
I had 10 calls today

1/4 of those are Frozen pipes, so much water damage

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 09:30 PM   #38

Paid a plumber to come out and basically tell me to cut a hole in the wall (fair enough I appreciated her advice)

Ended up cutting a couple holes around my main in the back of a vanity, as presumed fucking hack job contractors who built the bathroom barely insulated the run off the main which fed the rest of the house.. had a hair dryer and oil heater in the bathroom jammed up into the hole until we got the water flowing again thank god…

Now I’m gonna have to rip open the wall in the spring/summer and reinsulate. She said the same thing, her and another colleague were on call and back to back days of 10+ frozen pipes