REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-29-2021, 06:27 PM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
great canadian oil change for BMW battery replacment

Anyone know if great canadian oil change can do a battery replacment on 2011 BMW x35d. From what I am reading the SUV needs to be programed for the battery with a scan tool.

My nephew is playing hockey in Saskatchewan and the only place in town that can do a battery change tomorrow is Great Canadian. Canadian tire can only do it after the new year. Being parked for 2 weeks and -35 degree weather killed it.

This is why you buy a Honda over a BMW.
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2021, 07:23 PM   #2
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Swapping the battery is easy. I did it in my x5d in 30 mins with a couple tools. You can register the new battery with ISTA (free download online), Protool or Carly.
sunny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 10:15 PM   #3
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Don't know about BMW specifically, but it seems to me that the "requisite" programming that some German cars call for is really meant to get the ECU to compensate for the battery's age and efficiency during charging.

Lots of people have replaced their batteries without doing that "reprogramming", and in the short term at least, the car should be completely fine. If he insists on getting that "reprogramming" done, I'm sure your nephew can get it done at a BMW dealership / shop later on. But in the short term, it should be perfectly fine to just swap the dead battery out for the new one.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:15 AM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Same for my focus. You can do a battery relearn, but it’s not necessary when push comes to shove.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:15 AM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Same for my focus. You can do a battery relearn, but it’s not necessary when push comes to shove.
Yes it is unless you don't want the new battery to last. New batteries get charged at a different rate than an old battery
sunny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 11:45 AM   #6
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Problem solved. My sister was a little over dramatic. They tried to jump it and that did not work. They put in on a trickle charger for 2 days and that did not work. Tow truck came and before towing it tried to jump it. That worked and it started. I still think it's stupid you can't just swap a battery.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:05 PM   #7
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
yes u can def just swap the battery WITHOUT reprogramming the computer. "reprograming" achieve 2 things. 1: it tells the on board computer there is a new battery in place so the charging logic can be reset back to default, this step is not necessary, 2: if ur swapping in a battery that is DIFFERENT in capacity, then the on board computer MUST be reprogrammed to account for the difference in capacity so again, the charging logic changes according to the new capacity, IF ur swapping in a battery of the SAME capacity, then again this step is not necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2022, 07:01 PM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,806 Times in 1,766 Posts
I learned my F150 needs this battery reset procedure, well after I had already changed the battery.

The only side effect that I've noticed of not doing the reset has been that it forces the radio off to enter "power save" mode after about an hour, because it thinks it's going to kill the battery.

I can do the reset with the FORScan software, but just haven't bothered.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote