REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 02-16-2022, 10:31 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
P&P VPN add-on device to network

Can any RS geeks here suggest a plug and play VPN device for my network?

I thought about setting a Pi with PiVPN, and borrowed one from a friend to test it out, but ultimately found it a bit underpowered when a lot of devices are connected (F&F in China).

Is there any decent hardware VPN server that's pretty much P&P and doesn't break the bank? Because if it gets too expensive and complicated, might just grab a used Mac Mini for cheap and host a VPN from that. But wanted to check to see if there's anything out there that I can just use.

For some background info... it's really just to host VPN for my/wife's phone when we are outside and connecting to random wifis and also for F&F in China to be able to watch youtube and Netflix. And also to connect back home to view my security cameras.

I have a gigabit fiber with Telus. So, there's plenty of upload bandwidth to support it and I don't think the problem with PiVPN was due to bandwidth.
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2022, 10:38 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,174 Posts
I mean, it sounds like you're looking to set up a pfSense or something similar. Maybe one of those Mikrotik VPN boxes?
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2022, 08:57 AM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Basically I want a simple VPN server that plugs into my current router/switch and simple to configure.

I did that with a Rasberry PI running PiVPN. But as I said above, it seemed a bit underpowered because as soon as I have over 5 devices connected simultaneously, it takes some time for that little server to respond to whatever requests are being given.

And it's not really the upload bandwidth as I have plenty and from network stat, I'm using less than 5% of what's capable (700mbps+ up/down with speedtest).

A last resort solution is to buy a small Mac Mini or a small PC and run OpenVPN server off that. But before I dump $600+ on a setup like that, I'd like to see if there are easier/cheaper solutions.

I was also thinking getting the most powerful Pi with gigabit port and see if that solves the problem. But ultimately, it's just a Rasberry and not really meant for anything intensive.