REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-21-2022, 09:42 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Self service your own car while it has warranty?

It's been a while since I've had a car with factory warranty remaining, but now I have a new-to-me car with some factory warranty left (~1 year). When I bought the car, it came with a coupon for a free oil change, so I took it back to claim that coupon in Dec, and if it wasn't for the coupon, a simple oil change would have been close to $200.

I'm not shy about working on my own cars for simple things, and I can save myself a fair bit of money if I do these oil changes myself. However, if I get it serviced at the dealership for the next year or so, any warranty claims should be less of a hassle? Perhaps this is a wrong assumption.

Not sure if it matters, but the car's a Lexus UX250h. There is sometimes a rattle near the steering column that I'd like them to take a look at before warranty is up. In this case, what would revscene do?
Advertisement
headhunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:17 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Oh boy, do I have a (long) story short for you, but just months before my warranty expired, for whatever reason, Toyota decided my transmission was faulty and I got a new transmission. There was this rattling sound that would trigger under acceleration between 40km/h - 60km/h. Turned out to be the VVT solenoids and I figured that out on my own volition. Of course, I was shitting bricks the transmission was replaced under warranty, and if it were out of my own pocket, the repair would have been a $10K job. Thankfully it was all fixed literally 5 days before my warranty ran out.

I'm happy that I got a new transmission (new motor would have been nice haha) but they couldn't figure out the VVT solenoids so I'm a bit disappointed by that. For what it's worth, I had my car worked on elsewhere and I always stuck with factory parts. One dealership made a stink about my H&R springs but otherwise, the original dealer I got the car from didn't even bat an eye. I'd take it in and see where it takes you.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:41 AM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
I did all my oil changes on my Speed 3 myself throughout the warranty period.

I think in order to deny warranty coverage they'd have to prove that the service you did led to whatever failure you had.

In my case, the only issue my car ever had during warranty was the clutch slave cylinder failed. Since that has nothing to do with oil changes I had no issues with getting that replaced under warranty.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:48 AM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Had a motor replaced under warranty. All maintenance was done outside of the dealership. All I had to do was provide proof of maintenance, which was only oil changes in this case. So I just sent them all the invoices for oil changes and they approved my warranty.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:55 AM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I did all my oil changes on my Speed 3 myself throughout the warranty period.

I think in order to deny warranty coverage they'd have to prove that the service you did led to whatever failure you had.

In my case, the only issue my car ever had during warranty was the clutch slave cylinder failed. Since that has nothing to do with oil changes I had no issues with getting that replaced under warranty.
What's the mileage on your MS3? I had a few of problems with mine some in warranty some out. One of them was a really weird one where the wire going from ECU to injector had a break in it and the injector won't fire.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:11 AM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
110,000kms

Only other real issue I've had with the car was the primary O2 sensor went at 99,000kms (2018). Out of warranty at that point.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:39 AM   #7
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
Had a motor replaced under warranty. All maintenance was done outside of the dealership. All I had to do was provide proof of maintenance, which was only oil changes in this case. So I just sent them all the invoices for oil changes and they approved my warranty.
If I'm doing them myself, I wonder if having invoices / receipts for the parts would suffice.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:40 AM   #8
RS Veteran

You should be ok.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:59 AM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
I would check your invoice breakdown what they actually spent time doing for the free oil change. I can't imagine an oil change being $200 for a Lexus?

I always do my own oil changes, the cost to buy the oil/filter versus shop doing it, was quite minimal saving. Not factoring your personal time to do it.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 09:01 AM   #10
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunt3r View Post
It's been a while since I've had a car with factory warranty remaining, but now I have a new-to-me car with some factory warranty left (~1 year). When I bought the car, it came with a coupon for a free oil change, so I took it back to claim that coupon in Dec, and if it wasn't for the coupon, a simple oil change would have been close to $200.

I'm not shy about working on my own cars for simple things, and I can save myself a fair bit of money if I do these oil changes myself. However, if I get it serviced at the dealership for the next year or so, any warranty claims should be less of a hassle? Perhaps this is a wrong assumption.

Not sure if it matters, but the car's a Lexus UX250h. There is sometimes a rattle near the steering column that I'd like them to take a look at before warranty is up. In this case, what would revscene do?
You only have a year of warranty left. So there's nothing much to stress about. Just take it in and have them look at the rattle under warranty.

Since it's only 1 year warranty remaining, and probably only 1 service needed, personally I'd just get the servicing done at the dealership for the peace of mind and then after the warranty expires, switch to DIY and keep receipts for parts and a detailed written log.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 09:14 AM   #11
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
I would check your invoice breakdown what they actually spent time doing for the free oil change. I can't imagine an oil change being $200 for a Lexus?

I always do my own oil changes, the cost to buy the oil/filter versus shop doing it, was quite minimal saving. Not factoring your personal time to do it.
I was pretty surprised too, but the breakdown is somewhat understandable. It was only an oil change, and the totals were: $59.08 (parts) $95.97 (labor) $15.98 (misc), so $171.03 + tax = $191.56 total.

The second part of your post suggests you don't think it's worth doing it yourself since savings are minimal etc, so maybe that's a typo that you do your own oil changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
You only have a year of warranty left. So there's nothing much to stress about. Just take it in and have them look at the rattle under warranty.

Since it's only 1 year warranty remaining, and probably only 1 service needed, personally I'd just get the servicing done at the dealership for the peace of mind and then after the warranty expires, switch to DIY and keep receipts for parts and a detailed written log.
By my estimates there's at least 2 more oil changes left and a "Service #3", which by now I assume won't be cheap.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:03 AM   #12
RS Veteran

Service 3 is not cheap. That was my final warranty service with the dealership before warranty ran out, but in turn, they gave me a new transmission.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:51 AM   #13
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
If I'm doing them myself, I wonder if having invoices / receipts for the parts would suffice.
Shouldnt be an issue, I would recommend adding the mileage to your invoices, so theres some documentation on when each change was done. Since all my invoices contained the vehicles mileage thats helped with my case to prove that they were done withing the recommended intervals.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 03:57 PM   #14
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Quote:
I was pretty surprised too, but the breakdown is somewhat understandable. It was only an oil change, and the totals were: $59.08 (parts) $95.97 (labor) $15.98 (misc), so $171.03 + tax = $191.56 total.

The second part of your post suggests you don't think it's worth doing it yourself since savings are minimal etc, so maybe that's a typo that you do your own oil changes?

By my estimates there's at least 2 more oil changes left and a "Service #3", which by now I assume won't be cheap.
You can take it to any shop, or you can DIY, as long as you can sufficiently demonstrate at a the services were done should you need to make a warranty claim at a later time. The level of scrutiny you may get will be up to the service advisor and the relationship you have with the dealership. Which currently sounds like you have zero.

It's a trade off and like anything there comes a bit of risk. Heck, even if you do all your services at the dealership, they may still deny a warranty claim if they think they won't be able to get approval from head office. But then again, if you do all your services there, the chances are higher they will approve warranty claims under goodwill than if you didn't.

You also have 5 year powertrain warranty and a battery/hybrid warranty to consider.

Lexus vehicles are usually fairly reliable.

How much risk/hassle/savings you are willing to accept is entirely up to you!
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2022, 07:35 PM   #15
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

To keep most manufacturer warranties alive you need receipts from a shop with 3 things, date, kms and vin number.

Receipt for DIY fluids won't cut it.

I know 20 year dealer employees with claims denied because they have no proof of work done.
This post thanked by: