REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 01-13-2023, 06:37 AM   #51
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,815 Times in 8,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Disclaimer: I am not using it as a phone (yet.)

I got it because it was being blown out by Amazon.com and I figured, "Why not?" I wanted to have a larger tablet-type device while being able to browse the web in the evening w/o having to be in front of a laptop/computer all while being able to access my work e-mails/files/Teams in one device. Also, this is a lot easier to bring around when I'm traveling and not have to bring my laptop with me, so this is a great substitute and I like it for that.

No qualms with it other than some weird quirks because of Android and setting it up with my work via Microsoft O365 and company security policies but took a few tries to get it right.

So far, I like it. It's plenty fast (for me) and my use cases (browse/e-mail/viewing photos/work stuff.) If you game or anything, do not get this device. A lot of online reviews hate on the device but I find it works quite well. I can't speak for the camera because let's be honest, who really buys a device like this for its camera capabilities? Other than that, I'm not sure what the beef is.

I don't have any accessories with it but hope to have a wireless keyboard to pair it with. I thought about getting the pen but didn't see much use for it. Had it not been for Amazon selling this for $300'something, I would not have bought it. Cost was a huge deterrent for me.
Forgot to tell us what it is?
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 06:42 AM   #52
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
???

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 07:18 AM   #53
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Anyone here ever migrate from iPhone to Android that can give me their anecdotal experience?

I'm growing tired of Apple and their bullshit, I've never owned an Android phone, and frankly I feel like a total retard when I even attempt to use one (the UI is goofy to me in comparison to IOS).

The new Pixel is enticing me but I'm worried that making the jump would be a disappointment, it's crazy how iMessage creates such a dissuasion to move.
Wife uses iPhone, I use Samsung. She pulls up my Samsung pay all the time trying to find an app. I don't like that her iPhone doesn't have a finger print reader and I either have to put the phone up to her face or punch in the code to unlock it. But like dukes said you'll get used to the UI eventually.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2023, 07:25 AM   #54

Quote:
???
Nevermind if I dig through the earlier posts I can see you're talking about a Microsoft Surface Duo? I think?

Amazon has it for $300 something, but the MS Store sells it for $1400? That's a pretty crazy discount. Is it real?

I only care because I am kind of in the market for a cheap tablet, if a decent one exists
Old 01-13-2023, 09:26 AM   #55
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Disclaimer: I am not using it as a phone (yet.)

I got it because it was being blown out by Amazon.com and I figured, "Why not?" I wanted to have a larger tablet-type device while being able to browse the web in the evening w/o having to be in front of a laptop/computer all while being able to access my work e-mails/files/Teams in one device. Also, this is a lot easier to bring around when I'm traveling and not have to bring my laptop with me, so this is a great substitute and I like it for that.

So far, I like it. It's plenty fast (for me) and my use cases (browse/e-mail/viewing photos/work stuff.) If you game or anything, do not get this device. A lot of online reviews hate on the device but I find it works quite well. I can't speak for the camera because let's be honest, who really buys a device like this for its camera capabilities? Other than that, I'm not sure what the beef is.

Had it not been for Amazon selling this for $300'something, I would not have bought it. Cost was a huge deterrent for me.
Seem like our intentions are mostly the same but I didn't know the original Duo is that much cheaper until after my purchase. I find the form factor interesting, but I would never pay the original price for this, and now even at half off I'm still not sure if it's right for me - I'm struggling to find compelling use cases for my needs though I'm keeping my mind open.

I think a lot of the beef comes from a combination of price and undercooked software at launch resulting in reviewers finding it difficult to justify its value for the average consumer. It wasn't until the recent Android 12L update that the software became stable based on the Surface Duo subthread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Nevermind if I dig through the earlier posts I can see you're talking about a Microsoft Surface Duo? I think?

Amazon has it for $300 something, but the MS Store sells it for $1400? That's a pretty crazy discount. Is it real?

I only care because I am kind of in the market for a cheap tablet, if a decent one exists
Yes we're talking about the Surface Duo / Duo 2

The steep discounts are real because the device is a huge flop. It's insane they tried to sell the phone at $1400, but at $300 it's worth a try.

I don't know if the Duo fits your bill for a cheap tablet though - the device has a bezel in the middle so content gets interrupted when you go fullscreen. I think you're better off with a base iPad or a Chromebook like a Lenovo Duet.
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 10:56 AM   #56
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,570 Times in 1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Wife uses iPhone, I use Samsung. She pulls up my Samsung pay all the time trying to find an app. I don't like that her iPhone doesn't have a finger print reader and I either have to put the phone up to her face or punch in the code to unlock it. But like dukes said you'll get used to the UI eventually.
I feel like my gf would do this by "accident" as well, but just so that I'd pay the bill
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 11:47 AM   #57
RS Veteran

Quote:

You may be referring to my ghetto phone on the 1st page haha

If so, it's a Punkt MP02. I also have a Nokia banana phone but it has a camera.

@radeonboy - How much was your Surface Duo 2?

@SkinnyPupp - Good callout by radeonboy about the bezel in the middle. It doesn't bother me and I find that the split screen is fine and not evident to me (again, one of those things you just get used to.) I personally would not treat this as a tablet-equivalent like an iPad etc. The use case simply works for me as I don't have super high expectations. So far, the size I've gotten use to as well, so I am happy with it.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2023, 12:35 PM   #58

Quote:
@radeonboy - How much was your Surface Duo 2?
It's $980+tax from Best Buy right now so it's still expensive, though much more reasonable than $2,000+ tax. My main draw to it is its form factor which the cheaper Duo can still accomplish, so it's just a matter of deciding whether the extra features of the 2 is worth the ~$500 difference (software support, newer CPU, more ram, dual-sim support etc.).
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2023, 02:56 PM   #59
RS Veteran

That makes sense.

Silly question but does the Duo 1 have dual sim support? (either physical or eSIM?)

Re: CPU etc. I still use the 1st Gen iPad. I have no intention of switching until it dies.

Edit: Found my answer here - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-8bfe2eb8cc01

Quote:
Surface Duo has a physical Nano SIM. AT&T locked SKU will have eSIM disabled while the Open market SKU will support Dual SIM single available (physical SIM and eSIM) – so only one SIM for calls, texts, data can be active at one time.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2023, 03:05 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonboy View Post
Seem like our intentions are mostly the same but I didn't know the original Duo is that much cheaper until after my purchase. I find the form factor interesting, but I would never pay the original price for this, and now even at half off I'm still not sure if it's right for me - I'm struggling to find compelling use cases for my needs though I'm keeping my mind open.

I think a lot of the beef comes from a combination of price and undercooked software at launch resulting in reviewers finding it difficult to justify its value for the average consumer. It wasn't until the recent Android 12L update that the software became stable based on the Surface Duo subthread.

Yes we're talking about the Surface Duo / Duo 2

The steep discounts are real because the device is a huge flop. It's insane they tried to sell the phone at $1400, but at $300 it's worth a try.

I don't know if the Duo fits your bill for a cheap tablet though - the device has a bezel in the middle so content gets interrupted when you go fullscreen. I think you're better off with a base iPad or a Chromebook like a Lenovo Duet.
Yeah I was looking at it last night after I posted and unfortunately the bezel won't work for me

What I want is a decent sized tablet, like 10", around that price $200-300. Just for watching videos and books and comics at home really.

Wait a minute... Actually holy crap the 10.2" ipad is like $325 now.. what?
Old 01-13-2023, 03:16 PM   #61
RS Veteran

Yup. They've come a long way. The iPad was a strong contender in my short list but lost out to the Surface Duo due to its capabilities of being able to run dual apps on the two screens. Outlook and Teams being are the most used apps for me when I'm on the road, followed by Excel.

And ditto on the bezel - Depending on how intimate you need to be with your media, be it videos, books, comics, the bezel may get in the way in terms of using up the screen's real estate.

For me, I do a lot of reading of various news sources and I personally find it alright. The Microsoft apps work quite well and definitely optimized by Microsoft so I am very appreciative of that.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2023, 04:16 PM   #62

Quote:
That makes sense.

Silly question but does the Duo 1 have dual sim support? (either physical or eSIM?)

Edit: Found my answer here - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-8bfe2eb8cc01
I'm reading that Duo 1 is Dual sim single standby, meaning it'll accommodate 2 sims but only 1 line is connected at a time. Duo 2 is dual sim dual standby (both sims can be active concurrently).

Quote:
Just for watching videos and books and comics at home really.
I find it cumbersome for watching videos on the Duo, but some owners say it's great as a comic / e-book device.
This post thanked by: