REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-29-2022, 08:49 AM   #26
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,529 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprarz666 View Post
give rhdjapan a check as well.
the cad to yen is pretty good right now and I found some good deals on there.
Shipping is probably tough tho. I got my eye on some UKDM/JDM FK8 stuff LOL
Advertisement
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:01 AM   #27
Need to Seek Professional Help

Yea, but a lot of times factoring in the shipping, it still ends up cheaper for certain items.
Suprarz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:08 AM   #28
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprarz666 View Post
give rhdjapan a check as well.
the cad to yen is pretty good right now and I found some good deals on there.
yup, havent seen the yen this good for a long time now. I already bought some at the exchange for future travels to Japan.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2022, 10:47 AM   #29
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,383 Times in 5,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teggy604 View Post
yup, havent seen the yen this good for a long time now. I already bought some at the exchange for future travels to Japan.
That's a good idea

My amiami orders are costing way less than usual Minus the damn required DHL shipping...

Everything from Japan has to come FedEx or DHL right now. It's killer. Full tax and fees every single time.

I don't know why they can't resume their regular airmail or ground (ship) service.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:24 AM   #30
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
honestly the amount of tax is never the deterrence, it's still saves money at the end of the day.

the bigger deterrent is how you're treated when they bring you in to pay the tax. like a criminal!

CBSA gives zero fucks when it comes to treating LAW ABIDING travelers with respect and professionalism who declare their purchases and simply want to pay the tax and go on their way without being hassled or talked down to.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2022, 11:58 AM   #31
Performance Moderator

Agreed, regular border definitely you're guilty until proven innocent I hate walking into that place but I certainly wouldn't risk a 40% penalty/7 year stain on my record or, if they were really upset, the seizure of my vehicle to bring some wheels back.

PR is really good for taxes, they know they're only there for 1 purpose and 1 purpose only. The cashier people are borderline jolly.

When I brought my exhaust in the other night, I think the kid was a student or training, after he drew up the receipt he asked me if I had any questions for him and I was a bit confused like why would I and said "No I'm good" and then he actually apologized and said "Sorry... I had to charge you both PST and GST... but we won't do duty" and then he looked at the ground all sheepish... I was like... no need to apologize bud I appreciate you overlooking the duty though!

Give him another 3 months and he will be all jaded and angry lol
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2022, 12:14 PM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,393 Times in 549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
That's a good idea

My amiami orders are costing way less than usual Minus the damn required DHL shipping...

Everything from Japan has to come FedEx or DHL right now. It's killer. Full tax and fees every single time.

I don't know why they can't resume their regular airmail or ground (ship) service.
Not enough commercial plane belly space due to, well-below normal amount of flights in and out of the country. Don't expect Japan Post to be able to re-introduce those services until flight capacity is back to normal levels, which would require border restrictions to be dropped. Hopefully... soon?
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:20 PM   #33
Performance Moderator

They will send to USA without issue... but that's just annoying. I guess there's more flights going there.

USA is on Japan's list for countries that are allowed in these days too and we are not... go figure.