REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 07-21-2022, 03:05 PM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Baseboard heater wiring q

Alright so long story short my place used to have a single baseboard heater in the basement but it was removed (or never fully installed?) well before I bought the place. There was a thermostat for it on the wall though. We have a freezer down there now and I'm hoping to repurpose that circuit so the freezer can have a dedicated breaker like I assume it's supposed to.

The problem is the wiring isn't making sense to me. The panel has two breakers marked for this heater which I believe means it's actually wired for 240V? Since that's how all the other big 240V stuff like the A/C, oven & dryer are set up. With the cover off I can see that one breaker goes to a black wire and one to a white wire.

Downstairs is where I think it gets weird. The box for the thermostat has one cable coming in with the usual one black, one white, one ground. Coming out of the wall where I can only assume the heater was is one cable with the usual one black, one white, one ground.

How can that have worked if there's only one cable in the thermostat box?
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 04:10 PM   #2
in the butt

Thanked 3,217 Times in 1,181 Posts
Seems like someone put a white wire into the hot, without taping it red / blue or such at the panel.

You said the thermostat has three wires in the third paragraph, then you said it only has one at the end of your post, which one is it?
Could invest in a crappy tire 20$ meter, and find out if you actually have 240 at the wall

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 06:02 PM   #3

Yeah sorry it's 3 wires in 1 cable.

I was able to chase the wire from the thermostat through the utility room and found a junction box in the ceiling behind the furnace that appears to have the fuckery needed to make this work. So I can change that to have the power just go to where the outlet will be.

The question is now whether it's 120 or 240. I have a DMM so I guess I could just switch the breakers back on and measure it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 07-22-2022, 02:02 PM   #4

I got the meter out and it's 240V across the breakers which I expected, so with the junction box rewired it'd be 240V at the wall. So I just need to determine what I need to do to change it to 120V at the panel. From that I understand I should just need to remove the white wire from the second 15A breaker and connect it to the bus bar with all the other neutrals and I'm good to go. But I'd like to confirm that before doing anything.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: