REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-24-2022, 05:02 PM   #1
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
Mold in car?

Went to help a friend check out a car he was interested in. The seller said moisture had gotten into the car some way and the damage was concentrated on the RR side of it.

Photos:

-
-
-
-

As you can see, the sail panel is basically destroyed

-
-
-
-

The RR seat lip. The mold is concentrated here and there's a bit on the seatbelt.

We removed the rear bottom bench and found moisture underneath but no mold. The car didn't smell either even though it hasn't rained in a little while so the moisture didn't dry out.

We looked all around the car and couldn't find any visible source of the leak. We are only assuming at this point that it could be blocked sunroof channels.

He has no issue putting in some effort to get rid of the mold on the inside but doesn't know if it'll come back if the source isn't dealt with.

Would you walk away from this car? Everything else about the car is great and it's pretty well priced.
Advertisement
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 05:45 PM   #2
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,641 Times in 3,103 Posts
Pretty unhealthy with mold spores. Id run away.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2022, 06:03 PM   #3
in the butt

Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,180 Posts
Ew, would you let your friend buy a home with mold around the shower?

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2022, 06:18 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

Thanked 2,003 Times in 216 Posts
I'm living in Hong Kong now where it's very humid. I would say most if not all of the cars that are stored for a bit without being driven grow mold in the interior, i'm talking about only a month or two. My cars too. It's a reoccuring thing here and no one seems to be put off by the car because of this, usually just pay to clean and disinfect the interior when it gets bad. I usually put dehumidifiers in my JDMs, but even that doesn't guarantee.

One of the biggest car collectors here in Hong Kong owns one of the ports. A lot of his $$$ cars are in containers there near the sea and you can guess, covered in mold.

Last edited by prelude_prince; 07-24-2022 at 06:28 PM.
prelude_prince is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2022, 06:28 PM   #5

Thanked 1,717 Times in 888 Posts
Pay a detailer to deal with it?
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2022, 07:03 PM   #6
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,959 Times in 1,891 Posts
You can clean it but the issue might be where the moisture is coming in from. There might be a hole/leak in the trunk, floor, etc. I'd run as well.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2022, 07:25 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
If he really wants the car, find the problem, take apart the panels and send it for a detail, lots of good guys locally do an amazing job on mold
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2022, 08:15 PM   #8

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
I've had mold before on my Integra and what I did to get rid of it was basically fumigate the car overnight with the mold control solution they sell at Canadian tire called Concrobium or something. You would have to basically get rid of every single spot of mold and find out where moisture is getting in. In my case it was the sunroof drain being plugged thus letting water into the car through the roof. After remedying that, I never saw a spot of mold in it.

I also only had the funky greenish mold. I would run away if it was black mold as that can cause respiratory issues.

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2022, 12:12 AM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
I had mold in my mazda 5 with fake aftermarket leather....anyway.

I used diluted vinegar, didn't clean 100%. At the end, just spray shit load of alcohol ...no more for the past 2 years.
asian_XL is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2022, 06:47 AM   #10

Thanked 3,733 Times in 954 Posts
You need to steam clean the piss out of it and nuke with it w o-zone machine.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2022, 10:04 AM   #11

Thanked 3,095 Times in 969 Posts
Whats the car?
tegra7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2022, 11:03 AM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Could be from water. Last time water got into my passenger side after a car wash and it got moldy. After scrubbing it down with water and vacuuming out the water, it was fixed.

Last edited by ilovebacon; 07-26-2022 at 09:13 AM.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2022, 11:40 PM   #13
GS8

My friend says thanks. He's not bothered by the mold removal (it doesn't look black) but rather tracking the source of it. Going to suck having to yank every panel just to play 'follow the water'. We were certain it was coming from the trunk but it's hard to see any evidence. He might walk away. I'll post the car once he decides as he doesn't want anyone poaching it just yet.

It's a shame owners allow their cars to fall into these states. I mean, how do you not see a tearing sail panel and just let that wound continue once you do notice it. The mileage is low and the engine bay is very clean. It's just the rear end has some literal swamp ass.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2022, 06:48 AM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
^Sounds like maybe its been in an accident on the rear. U know not every car owner is like a car enthusiast owner. Not everyone is gonna notice every detail about there vehicles. How much cheaper is this vehicle compared to the other ones on the market. Ur friend has to ask himself will he "be ahead" once he gets its all cleaned out, detailed and the leak be fixed(might be as easy as the sunroof channels, might be something even more difficult where everything has to come apart to pinpoint the leak)
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 08:59 PM   #15
GS8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
^Sounds like maybe its been in an accident on the rear. U know not every car owner is like a car enthusiast owner. Not everyone is gonna notice every detail about there vehicles. How much cheaper is this vehicle compared to the other ones on the market. Ur friend has to ask himself will he "be ahead" once he gets its all cleaned out, detailed and the leak be fixed(might be as easy as the sunroof channels, might be something even more difficult where everything has to come apart to pinpoint the leak)
To be fair, one doesn't have to be an enthusiast to notice a rip in the sail panel which then becomes a full on open wound one would find on a gyno table.