REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-10-2022, 07:12 PM   #1
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
LF: ICBC Advice re: Courtesy/Rental/Loss of Use

So my pickup truck (Ford F-150) was hit by a drunk driver in early July 2022. My truck has been towed to a repair facility and is currently having work done but probably won't see it for at least another 2-3 weeks as there was major damage done to the axle. The other driver actually flipped their car upon impact to my truck's left rear.

Over a month after my claim was submitted, they have not determined fault yet primarily because they don't have the other party's details. VPD does have this information but apparently the process to release such information to ICBC can take up to 2 months (according to the ICBC rep I spoke to today). I did call VPD to see if I could get it sooner/directly but they said that due to privacy I can't just call and request details based on the file number and ICBC has to make that formal request.

Anyway, that's besides the fact as I'm not too concerned about the whole liability/fault situation since my legally parked truck was hit by a drunk driver.

My issue right now is that I don't need a normal courtesy car to get to/from work. I specifically need a pickup truck to do truck things with on the weekends etc. Just frustrating how restricting ICBC's policies are in my situation as I've been trying for over a month now and either 1 of these criteria are not met.

Out of the $100/day budget: I have to pay for anything over the $100 daily limit. Why? It's not my fault a drunk driver incapacitated my truck, shouldn't the other party/their insurance be liable for this?

Availability: 1/2 ton pickup trucks are not super-readily available at rental agencies, especially not the ICBC preferred rental agencies. I asked them if I could rent a different sized vehicle (e.g., cargo van, heavy duty truck, etc.) and ICBC says no

Use of vehicle: I insure my truck under pleasure use as I use it for various outings such as towing or hauling bbq/tents/etc. often out of town (outside of lower Mainland, down to Washington state, etc.). The towing part rules out the vast majority of rental agencies as far as I can tell and the out of province/country part doesn't make it easier either.

At the end of the day I just want to be made right by ICBC and be able to use a vehicle the way I would've used my truck, had it not been hit by a drunk driver. I understand why the policies that ICBC and the rental agencies are in place, but so far being understanding doesn't really get me anywhere. I feel like 99% of the time a standard <$100/day rental would've sufficed but my situation is kind of unique. Any way I can escalate within ICBC or seek legal help to get a proper truck reimbursed?

I've since spoken to ICBC 4 times and they've basically just said no to anything beyond a basic rental courtesy car. Seems like if I need anything more I'll need to pay out of pocket which isn't really fair and isn't really why I have insurance in the first place..? Sorry if I sound a bit entitled but I feel like if we were in a different jurisdiction my insurance company/lawyer could fight for me to have a similar vehicle to serve a similar purpose, even if it does exceed this arbitrary "cap" that ICBC puts on courtesy cars
Advertisement
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:12 PM   #2
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
I think you’re kinda out of luck, they can’t start down a slippery slope of matching what people have with their courteously car. What if a guy in a Ferrari is waiting months for his car and demands an equivalent car?

Sucks when it’s not your doing, but… insurance is there as coverage and that coverage has limitations on it that are laid out for you at the time of purchase… need more than what is offered? Shop around and see what fits you best.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2022, 08:26 PM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
Good luck my parked car was hit last fall and I'm still waiting for parts, ICBC said it's fine to drive around with damaged none operating one side headlight plus bumper held on by tape. meanwhile loud exhausts are illegal where's my compensation for loss of use
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2022, 09:18 AM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,252 Posts
my truck sat at rusty for 3-4 weeks and is now apparently at central estimating for like 2 weeks

im pondering whether to say fuck it and tow it home

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:27 PM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
Seems like if I need anything more I'll need to pay out of pocket which isn't really fair and isn't really why I have insurance in the first place..?
You pay for insurance coverage which includes up to $100/day for a rental vehicle. You're getting $100/day for a rental vehicle. That sounds pretty fair to me. If you want coverage for more then get coverage for more.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:48 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
I don't think you can just get more coverage, I remember asking my insurance guy cuz ICBC told me I only can get $100 rental and like total was $500 worth. It's up to the body shop if they give you a courtesy car. But then I guess that's only while your car is at their shop. Not waiting for parts, unless your car is 100% undrivable maybe?
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 02:31 PM   #7
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
You pay for insurance coverage which includes up to $100/day for a rental vehicle. You're getting $100/day for a rental vehicle. That sounds pretty fair to me. If you want coverage for more then get coverage for more.
Thing is even if I had no coverage I should be covered since I'm not at fault in this case. Shouldn't be my responsibility to cover the difference in a not at fault situation. Should I not be able to go after the at-fault party to make up the difference? (in any other system)

If I crashed my own truck into a ditch and ICBC would only cover $100/day then I'd totally be fine with eating whatever additional costs or having to buy more coverage.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 02:44 PM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken the other persons insurance is to cover the repair to your vehicle, not your loss of use. I can't say I've heard of someone having insurance for the other persons loss of use.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:43 PM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
This isn't going to help in your scenario, but ages ago I had my pickup go in for warranty repair, this was a 2018 3500 Silverado (which was a brand new truck at time). At first the dealer tried to give me a chevy equinox, or some little tiny SUV cant remember. When i complained citing the need for a truck, the sales manager got involved. I had bought a number of trucks from this dealer. So he told them to figure it out. So the service manager D-Plated a Brand new Escalade and drove it up front, I quickly explained to him i need a truck for work things, and he was like you can do anything in this truck.

Well the look of horror on the entire service staff's face when I started yard sailing bull floats, and concrete rakes, and trowels and crap in the back seat of the truck, was a spectacle.

I feel for you, when you buy a truck to actually use for truck things, you need the fucking thing. Like I certainly dont pay $2.39/L for diesel and get 10mpg for fun. I need the fucking thing otherwise i'd own a tesla.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2022, 06:29 PM   #10
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
Thing is even if I had no coverage I should be covered since I'm not at fault in this case. Shouldn't be my responsibility to cover the difference in a not at fault situation. Should I not be able to go after the at-fault party to make up the difference? (in any other system)
You might want to look up the rules for no fault insurance now.

All your coverage comes out of your own coverage now. Whether you’re at fault or not just changes whether you’re penalized or not.

It used to be if you had no collision coverage and it was the other persons fault, they still paid your repairs. Not anymore. Even if it’s not your fault you’re pooched if you don’t have your own coverage.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:05 AM   #11
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
This doesn't directly help but if you do decide to rent a pickup, keep in mind regular credit card rental insurance won't cover pickup trucks.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:02 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I think you’re kinda out of luck, they can’t start down a slippery slope of matching what people have with their courteously car. What if a guy in a Ferrari is waiting months for his car and demands an equivalent car?
I see your point. But no one really uses a Ferrari for necessity (like work).
He's not asking for a truck of similar value, just a vehicle of similar storage capability. A lot of people rely on trucks for work, so it's not out of the ordinary. I think there could be a better system in place that can honor these type of things without it becoming too "slippery slope".
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote