REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-30-2022, 02:31 PM   #1
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
What To Do: Old / Junker Car

Hi RS,

So my father-in-law has a 2004 Chevy Venture van that has a blown head gasket, burns oil like crazy, consumes an unnecessary amount of gas ($20/week) and recently, the starter and alternator failed. There are probably a tonne of other issues, but you get the idea.

What are his options to get rid of this car, be it for cash or a tax refund? Car is located in East Van. If you want to be a hero and enjoy working on broken and awful cars, this is for you (looks at trollface.) Thanks in advance!

Edit: Tires are original lol
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 02:46 PM   #2
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,698 Times in 3,128 Posts
I think you can donate it to foundations that give you a tax receipt. Either BC cancer foundation or the Kidney Foundation both will take your old cars away and give you a equivalent tax receipt.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2022, 12:22 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
trade it in for ev

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2022, 01:03 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
Buy a Ebike, i think you get credit.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2022, 07:34 PM   #5

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
Scrap it ... and get incentives like bus pass, credit for EV or Hybrid, car share credit, $750 off for an electric bike ...

https://scrapit.ca/

I remember doing this a long time ago and selling the monthly bus passes off on CL ...and one time, selling bike credit to someone at discount ...

Last edited by whitev70r; 10-02-2022 at 10:56 PM.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2022, 07:36 PM   #6
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
If you're going to donate it, you should fix all the problems first. Otherwise you're just donating someone your garbage in the hopes that someone else will donate the repair bill.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-02-2022, 07:58 PM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Turn it into LeMons race car
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2022, 09:00 PM   #8
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Turn it into LeMons race car
For sure the car will not win as it won't start.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 10-02-2022, 10:48 PM   #9
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
Bomb start it and bring it to the Gambler 500.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2022, 08:12 AM   #10
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
If you're going to donate it, you should fix all the problems first. Otherwise you're just donating someone your garbage in the hopes that someone else will donate the repair bill.
You don’t put time/money into something you’re going to scrap. These programs are in place for a reason..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-03-2022, 08:29 AM   #11
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
They just Auction the cars anyway, they don’t spend money fixing them
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2022, 03:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
You don’t put time/money into something you’re going to scrap. These programs are in place for a reason..
You don't donate your garbage to charity because you don't want the hassle of dealing with it. That is fucking classless
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-03-2022, 05:00 PM   #13

Thanked 8,698 Times in 3,128 Posts
Classless ? Are you donating your wife’s Chanel purse or your fancy supreme clothing or are you just donating your trash stuff that you don’t want ? Don’t get on a high horse here. That’s the basis of these foundations. Taking in stuff people don’t want so at least they can do something with it better than what dukes in-laws are doing with it currently.

I say good on them if they even have the thought of donation. Last thing we need is more people criticizing charitable acts as classless. Everything and anything helps. If the charity’s don’t want it, they won’t even take it.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2022, 05:29 PM   #14

It's not a high horse.. My wife works for a charity, and people try donating their garbage because it's too expensive to offload elsewhere. A lot of this stuff is expensive when new but basically worthless now, so they dump it off to a charity thinking to themselves that they're being helpful. Or some people just don't realize that they're not being helpful, which is why I posted that information.

If you want to donate, that's great. Get it fixed first, then donate it. Don't give someone your garbage because either it's too expensive to fix, or too expensive to discard.

If the charity has a deal with someone who will donate repair services, that's fine, and I can see some places relying on that. Don't assume it though. Nobody wants garbage, not even charities. A lot of the time you're costing them time and money rather than helping them out.

You guys can keep coming at me trying to make me feel bad, but this is something to consider. I think dukes is a considerate guy, and he won't do something like this without at least looking into it first.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2022, 06:35 PM   #15
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
Ummmm IIRC, when you donate your car to Kidney foundation etc., they tow your car away and get the proceeds from scrap metal worth. The cars don’t need to run because they’re going to end up in a junkyard. That catalytic converters is worth at least a hundred, maybe. The charities don’t intend to drive or restore the donated vehicles; that would be too much hassle and maybe a liability. It’s different from people dumping junk at those donation bins or Value Village.
Spectre_Cdn is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2022, 06:44 PM   #16
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
It's not a high horse.. My wife works for a charity, and people try donating their garbage because it's too expensive to offload elsewhere. A lot of this stuff is expensive when new but basically worthless now, so they dump it off to a charity thinking to themselves that they're being helpful. Or some people just don't realize that they're not being helpful, which is why I posted that information.

If you want to donate, that's great. Get it fixed first, then donate it. Don't give someone your garbage because either it's too expensive to fix, or too expensive to discard.

If the charity has a deal with someone who will donate repair services, that's fine, and I can see some places relying on that. Don't assume it though. Nobody wants garbage, not even charities. A lot of the time you're costing them time and money rather than helping them out.

You guys can keep coming at me trying to make me feel bad, but this is something to consider. I think dukes is a considerate guy, and he won't do something like this without at least looking into it first.
I think you misunderstand. These charities have programs specifically FOR these sort of clunkers. They take them in any condition and they auction them off for whatever they can get (maybe scrap value, maybe more). They don't fix them.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2022, 08:07 PM   #17
RS Veteran

Quote:

I'd like to clear the air and set the record straight.

First and foremost, thank you to everyone who has responded to the thread. Any bit of advice or leads is helpful in enabling us to make an informed decision.

Secondly, I don't live in Vancouver anymore but my family and my in-laws are still here; We still visit often so we're not up to date in terms of what programs or benefits are avaialble when it comes to donating a non-operational vehicle.

Third - There was never any ill intention of donating a "junker" car to a charity where they'd have to fix it. I do recall some programs where they take the vehicle, dismantle it for whatever parts that may contain some value, sell fit off and you get either cash or a tax rebate or whatever it was.

I spent the month of September cleaning up my old room and came across a lot of old clothes and rather than let them end up in the landfill, we ended up washing them all, sorting them, and folded them and donated to Value Village. The folks there were extremely grateful for the donations and they taught me that a lot of people just dump whatever with them and it's never pleasant having to sort through all sorts of stuff. So I understand where Skinnypupp is coming from and he's not wrong.

If there was a position or opportunity where we could fix the car at a reasonable price, for sure, we would, and then donate the car as-is. I would never donate a non-operable car with the intention for the end user to have to end up fixing it (unless that's what they want to do) but it has to be to an individual or group who deserves it. Curber mechanic who will fix it up and resell it for a profit would not be a candidate for this sort of thing.

So I hope this clears the air. No harm done, no foul play. Let's keep it clean and keep the suggestions coming. I would say within a few weeks or by the end of the month, the car will likely be donated to a charity of some sort. Thanks!

Old 10-03-2022, 08:59 PM   #18
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,279 Times in 1,968 Posts
I know in the past, you could potentially donate a car to a school for learning purposes. Give students something to work on and learn with. Note: The cars will never return to public streets, much like charity donation.

Though in 2022, I can foresee a lot of red tape interfering with this idea.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2022, 04:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I think you misunderstand. These charities have programs specifically FOR these sort of clunkers. They take them in any condition and they auction them off for whatever they can get (maybe scrap value, maybe more). They don't fix them.
Yup I mentioned the possibility that someone else might be able to donate the repairs, such as a repair shop, or cash donations for that purpose etc. I hadn't thought of charities tearing the vehicles down and selling the scrap metal though. If there's charities that specialize in it, great!

I hope people understand where I'm coming from. I'm not just trying to be on a "high horse" or calling out anyone. I was just trying to show from 'the other side' that not all donations are helpful, and it's something dukes would have to keep in mind. From his post, it looks like he did already!

I'll try to be more careful with how I word my posts, I know sometimes they can come across as too blunt. I find this especially occurs in the mornings when I'm not really fully awake yet (which is why I'm killing time on message boards lol)
This post thanked by: