REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-24-2023, 06:55 AM   #176
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonboy View Post
Why not get a WRX and call it a day? They're easier to get, drives pretty decent, and holds their value well. If you don't like the cladding then get a darker color like black / grey.
Cuz Subaru has a long and wonderful history of their motors being giant pieces of shit.

I want trouble free proven 360+hp.
Advertisement
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2023, 09:24 AM   #177
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Why not get a WRX and call it a day? They're easier to get, drives pretty decent, and holds their value well. If you don't like the cladding then get a darker color like black / grey.
Base WRXs are not that much more fun to drive imo. Just feels like a faster economy sedan lol.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 09:32 AM   #178
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,725 Times in 3,141 Posts
isnt that very much what the golf R is ? just a faster golf?
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 09:49 AM   #179
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Golf's are way better to drive than Imprezas.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2023, 12:18 PM   #180
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,533 Times in 1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
isnt that very much what the golf R is ? just a faster golf?
I haven't driven a regular golf.. but it sure ain't no BMW. Feels like I'm driving a Civic with better technology but the same amount of road noise.

Might be more road noise than my 9th gen civic, definitely more road noise and worse speakers than an 11th gen Si sedan, but of course it's a given that it has less road noise than the Type R.

It's only Day 1/2, but to keep it on relevance with the thread, I don't find enjoyment with the Golf R. It's a very mid experience. I'm gonna try ACC on the way home today so I hope that will be interesting
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 12:47 PM   #181

I cant hear road noise over my JL W7 12in sub driven by a 1200watt mono block.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:50 PM   #182
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
i miss my e36 328is. prob the car i miss the most
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2023, 01:26 PM   #183
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
I haven't driven a regular golf.. but it sure ain't no BMW. Feels like I'm driving a Civic with better technology but the same amount of road noise.

Might be more road noise than my 9th gen civic, definitely more road noise and worse speakers than an 11th gen Si sedan, but of course it's a given that it has less road noise than the Type R.

It's only Day 1/2, but to keep it on relevance with the thread, I don't find enjoyment with the Golf R. It's a very mid experience. I'm gonna try ACC on the way home today so I hope that will be interesting
find a straight stretch, put it in eco, set the ACC and chill. purrs along at 110 sub 2k rpm and i can barely tell it's running. Maybe the tires are loud.

it's still a golf - not sure who's looking for a luxury experience.

i'd have to spend some time around a civic to offer a fit and finish comparison. - i can't think of the last time i was in a japanese car at all besides tacomas.
The Producer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 02:24 PM   #184

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
I also thought the 2021 Golf R was very very mid, same with GTI. It's fun but it's not a replacement for a proper sports car.

I think the Golf R might be better in DSG, the manual had 0 feel for me. Felt like a solid 3 - 5/10 semi sport econobox.

Maybe it's one of those cars where your mindset is that I rather be in a Golf R than a C300 or a IS350? In those scenario's then Golf R is more fun.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 02:39 PM   #185
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
But dsg farts? Given how bad traffic is now a days, often times I enjoy just setting auto pilot then let the car drive it self. I can actually enjoy the scenery, music or zone out have convos
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 03:07 PM   #186
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,533 Times in 1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
I think the Golf R might be better in DSG, the manual had 0 feel for me. Felt like a solid 3 - 5/10 semi sport econobox.
I test drove the 7.5R in manual right before test driving my red FK8. The FK8 was so much better that I purchased on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Maybe it's one of those cars where your mindset is that I rather be in a Golf R than a C300 or a IS350? In those scenario's then Golf R is more fun.
I think you hit it right on the nail here. If you're expecting ///M car or Type R level of excitement, soul or visceral feeling, the Golf R ain't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
find a straight stretch, put it in eco, set the ACC and chill. purrs along at 110 sub 2k rpm and i can barely tell it's running. Maybe the tires are loud.

it's still a golf - not sure who's looking for a luxury experience.

i'd have to spend some time around a civic to offer a fit and finish comparison. - i can't think of the last time i was in a japanese car at all besides tacomas.
Even in normal mode driving around the city, I can barely tell it's running. I tried the ACC just now. The shortest following distance still has quite a bit of space for someone to cut in front of you. However, from previous research I know that like most other German cars (unlike Japanese cars) there are things that are Euro spec only (that uses the same modules) that you can just turn on. So with VAGCOM, I'd be able to make ACC more aggressive and turn on start/stop ACC. It's nice that the mfg allows you to change vehicle settings and features.

We can trade cars for a few days if you want haha. Though my Type R has an exhaust on it now, so NVH is out the door already lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
^ I wonder how that Korean N feel is? Considering they supposedly poached a lot of ex German M? Ppl
This is correct. They poached Albert Biermann, the genius behind the E90/2 and E46 M3s, former BMW M Chief Engineer. It's very evident in the last gen G70 and Veloster N. I had a ton of fun in both cars - it was full of excitement and emotion. It's what I would expect the Golf R to be. I'm curious if my expectations of the R32s (MK4 and MK5) will be valid or does it feel more like a fast version of the golf?
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 04-24-2023 at 03:44 PM.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2023, 03:17 PM   #187

^ I wonder how that Korean N feel is? Considering they supposedly poached a lot of ex German M? Ppl
Old 04-24-2023, 03:55 PM   #188
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
holy fuck in all my time i've never seen someone reply to a post in the future
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 05:07 PM   #189
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,309 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I drove an Elantra N at Mission last month, and came away very impressed. The chassis was incredibly solid, and the car's balance felt very neutral and light on its feet. The exhaust note was a little farty for me, but it wasn't the obnoxious crackle tune that the Veloster N / i30N (?) had. It felt like a big car though, and seemed pretty wide from the driver's seat.

I haven't driven an FK8 in a long time, so my memory of it is less vivid than what I remember about the Elantra N. But the FK8 felt much easier to drive, and easier to drive fast. It was also evidently more powerful too.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2023, 07:11 PM   #190
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Cuz Subaru has a long and wonderful history of their motors being giant pieces of shit.

I want trouble free proven 360+hp.
Trouble free and vw/audi do not go in the same sentence.....

With that said, vw/audi are way more reliable than Subaru

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2023, 08:20 PM   #191
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post

I typically discourage ppl from buying Subarus now.

Turbo Subarus are a HUGE no unless you are a gearhead. Even gearheads I would tell them to caution.

Even non turbos are iffy. It wouldn't be so bad if they aren't so stuck with the whole CVT thing as they all have problems sooner or later. Nevermind the fit and finish is terrible and their gas mileage is also not great for the power they produce.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 09:54 PM   #192
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Welp I wish I knew that before taking delivery of a new WRX lol. People online seem to not have any major issues with the FA24 that's also in the Ascent and Outback, so hopefully I'll fare okay. Guess I'll find out over the next few years
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2023, 12:42 AM   #193
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,725 Times in 3,141 Posts
^do a review once you get it. I’m curious as well because it seems to be a lot of car for under 40k sticker.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 09:53 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post

I've dealt with two BMW z4's. I've seen some shit.
Old 04-25-2023, 10:25 AM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^do a review once you get it. I’m curious as well because it seems to be a lot of car for under 40k sticker.
I took delivery a week ago so it's still a bit early to write a review, but so far I'm really enjoying the vehicle and what it delivers for the price. It's a rugged alternative to the more road-oriented setup of its peers, and that opens the door to more driving conditions which I intend to take advantage of.

I chose the WRX because I wanted to try a new driving experience after owning an FK8 and MK7 GTI in the past. While the performance and handling of those two vehicles are superior on the road, I don't believe the new generation offers enough of a difference to sway me from the WRX, which aligns with my goal of trying something different.

Last edited by radeonboy; 04-25-2023 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:41 PM   #196
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Welp I wish I knew that before taking delivery of a new WRX lol. People online seem to not have any major issues with the FA24 that's also in the Ascent and Outback, so hopefully I'll fare okay. Guess I'll find out over the next few years
FA24 has been out since 2019 on the Ascent and starting in 2020 for the Legacy and Outback. So far the biggest complaint is the RTV issue. Instead of a gasket, they used a silicone to seal the oil pan. Because there is excess silicone, the inside of the oil pan can collect these bits which can cause oil starvation. Some examples have been seen in the BRZ/GR86 (NA FA24 Engine), WRX and Outback.

I have a 2020 Legacy GT and so far so good. I haven't heard any Ascent issues with their FA24 but if you modify, that is a whole other discussion.
Vege is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2023, 01:07 PM   #197

So the only problem with the engine is the RTV breaking, clogging the oil pickup tube, spinning the bearings, and making ur crank hammer the block to death until it windows.

That's quality right there, boys.

The best part? The prob wont warranty it. lol
Old 04-25-2023, 01:40 PM   #198

I'll take the risk over having no vehicle to enjoy. And if it goes bad then hey, at least I get a story out of it.
Old 04-25-2023, 01:49 PM   #199

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
So the only problem with the engine is the RTV breaking, clogging the oil pickup tube, spinning the bearings, and making ur crank hammer the block to death until it windows.

That's quality right there, boys.

The best part? The prob wont warranty it. lol
I thought Germans were bad with plastic parts and needless overengineering, but using RTV instead of a cheap gasket is straight out of the backyard mechanic playbook.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 02:03 PM   #200

I'm still surprised after like 40 years they still haven't figured out how to build a boxer or cvt