REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-28-2023, 12:43 PM   #76
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Car is new and the tires are from the manufacturer?
Or car is bought used and tires were bought by previous owner
Or car is bought used and tires are still the ones from manufacturer?
Used, second owner. Tires still the ones from the manufacturer since new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
What car? And I'd give warranty a shot, who knows, they might cover it
I'm not hopeful but I'll ask since that costs me nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
How is your tire not flat with a crack / slit like that? Personally, I'd say it doesn't look safe to drive on.

If you wanna be cheap, you can just replace 2 tires for now, and swap to your winters in Oct or something. And then when the 2 old tires are worn down enough to warrant replacements, you replace those 2 as well.

That's what the cheap bastard me would do on my DD. If it was my wife's car, then I'd have to bite the bullet and replace all 4.
It's my own car with no family I can entertain slightly riskier options. I'm aware that damaged sidewalls are not great which is why I wanted to see if there are other options to consider.

After thinking through this some more, I'm leaning towards doing a seasonal tire swap now and drive my other car until temperatures are more suitable for winter tires.
Advertisement
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2023, 01:29 PM   #77
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Try talking to the Volvo about tire warranty, they may direct you to a tire dealer that sells that brand instead. Then the tire dealer will handle the warranty.

I was original owner if my case, the date I bought the car was important to the tire shop to know when the warranty started. But in the end I got 4 new tires at a prorated price.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2023, 01:35 PM   #78
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
I would hesitate to keep driving on those tires. Around town is fine but a blow out at highway speeds can be quite dangerous.

If you mount and dismount tires every season, that cut may have been caused by the mount and dismounting. I lost a PS4S on dismount because the sidewall ripped, and it's a common issue on that tire in certain sizes.

And I can see why it's hard to find wheels. Volvo bolt pattern is almost distinct as not many cars use 5x108 in North America.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2023, 02:15 PM   #79
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
How deep is it? It kinda looks like there was a bubble in the rim protector area.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 03:31 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Try talking to the Volvo about tire warranty, they may direct you to a tire dealer that sells that brand instead. Then the tire dealer will handle the warranty.

I was original owner if my case, the date I bought the car was important to the tire shop to know when the warranty started. But in the end I got 4 new tires at a prorated price.
I read through Continental's OEM tire warranty and it's only applicable to the first owner. But I'll see what Volvo says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
How deep is it? It kinda looks like there was a bubble in the rim protector area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I would hesitate to keep driving on those tires. Around town is fine but a blow out at highway speeds can be quite dangerous.
It doesn't look deep (don't want to stretch them even more to find out), but enough for there to be a small leak coming out from it. I brought it to KalTire and the person who helped me felt a very minor bubble forming, but thinks I can stretch it to tire swap season in a few weeks. I've decided to get it done tomorrow for peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
And I can see why it's hard to find wheels. Volvo bolt pattern is almost distinct as not many cars use 5x108 in North America.
It's a PITA but I knew what I was getting into. I found some wheel options that are designed for big brakes, but I don't have the equipment to test-fit them at home or know a place that can help me out.
Old 08-31-2023, 08:03 AM   #81
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
the way the lettering looks scratched at the bottom looks you hit a pothole?

was this an ex press car?

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 08:10 AM   #82
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,514 Times in 4,312 Posts
Glad this thread is still being utilized

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2023, 08:53 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
the way the lettering looks scratched at the bottom looks you hit a pothole?

was this an ex press car?
It's possible the previous owner scraped the tire against a curb - the wheels had curb rashes that got fixed before I took delivery. I don't think this was a press car based on its CarFax and the short time gap between the manufacturer date and the in-service date.

I ended up doing my seasonal tire swap super early and will wait until spring to shop for replacement tires.
Old 08-31-2023, 10:05 AM   #84
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
maybe dismount damage?

bunch of volvo polestars press cars were sold to dealers, they would only show 1 owner as the dealer is the owner

not sure if the conti tires got the foam treatment but the pirellis did in the early years, pretty much stuck to the dealer if you want to get lolvo branded tires

good luck with the rims, another choice is ferrari rims

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2023, 10:20 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
maybe dismount damage?

bunch of volvo polestars press cars were sold to dealers, they would only show 1 owner as the dealer is the owner
Yeah that thought crossed my mind, but it's too late to worry about that now. Gonna lean on my extended warranty if something mechanical happens.

Replacement tire options are pretty reasonable - currently leaning towards PS4 A/S or ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus if I can't anything out of oem tire warranty. Will also take suggestions here for something that balances performance, durability, and reasonable roll resistance.

Wheels on the other hand....

Last edited by radeonboy; 08-31-2023 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-01-2023, 12:51 PM   #86
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Can't beat either of those tires, unless you go CC2 for a year round tire.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2023, 04:41 AM   #87
RabidMod

Thanked 1,100 Times in 408 Posts
Looking for new tires for my dad's RAV4 in P225/65R17.

Option 1:
What're regarded as the best rain tires these days?

They don't drive much anymore but they're getting old and their reaction times are not what they used to be. So I want them to have the best possible stopping distances to compensate, and in Vancouver I guess the biggest concern is in the wet when visibility is esp worse.

And because they're not driving much, not concerned about treadwear rating. Even 200 is fine lol. Their last set of tires is at like 70% tread after 7 years; the rubber goes bad faster than they can wear it down.

I've also been visiting and swapping them to winter tires / back every year, so no need to handle cold temperatures either.

Option 2:
If I instead put them on winter tires year-round, what would be good with ice / snow but also good in rain for the rest of the year? Probably looking for some kind of performance winter tire?
Old 09-02-2023, 06:31 AM   #88
RS Veteran

For option 1, I'd liken something like a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S4 will suffice. I'm still happy with mine and they were fine in the recent torrential Toronto downpours.

For option 2, and while nowhere near the same car, we put on Nokian WRG4 on my father-in-law's Yaris. I'm sure there will be a crew here that will vouch for Michelin Crossclimate 2 for year-round driving. Doing this gives me some flexibility of not having to make a trip back to swap over to dedicated winter tires for him due to work circumstances or him complaining about how expensive it is to swap tires and no appointments available.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2023, 07:02 AM   #89
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Looking for new tires for my dad's RAV4 in P225/65R17.

Option 1:
What're regarded as the best rain tires these days?

They don't drive much anymore but they're getting old and their reaction times are not what they used to be. So I want them to have the best possible stopping distances to compensate, and in Vancouver I guess the biggest concern is in the wet when visibility is esp worse.

And because they're not driving much, not concerned about treadwear rating. Even 200 is fine lol. Their last set of tires is at like 70% tread after 7 years; the rubber goes bad faster than they can wear it down.

I've also been visiting and swapping them to winter tires / back every year, so no need to handle cold temperatures either.

Option 2:
If I instead put them on winter tires year-round, what would be good with ice / snow but also good in rain for the rest of the year? Probably looking for some kind of performance winter tire?
I think you can solve both at once:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=GTAS

3 out of 4 of the top Grand Touring All-Season tires at Tire Rack are All Weather tires - CrossClimate2, WeatherActive, WeatherPeak. All 3 have great ratings for wet weather performance as well - the best in its class.

If you dad isn't clipping apexes and taking exit curbs all day long then all 3 of these tires would cover all your use cases.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2023, 08:07 AM   #90
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,012 Times in 1,892 Posts
If they have winter tires, I would go with something along the lines of Michelin Latitude Tour HP, Primacy MXM4, Continental ProContact/CrossContact/ContiCrossContact. I would assume noise would be a huge factor for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2023, 09:37 AM   #91
RabidMod

Actually funnily enough, noise would be a huge non-factor for them. My dad's hearing is terrible now even when he's willing to wear his hearing aids, and my mom is generally oblivious.

Thanks all for the great ideas.

Loving the idea of my dad hitting apexes. Fond memories of teaching my dad how to drive stick in my first car, a rusty Mk1 MR2 (a great idea), just weeks after I'd gotten the thing and taught myself to drive stick reading Revscene forum posts.

And bcrdukes had to sit me down at a Starbucks to explain wtf it was that I just bought. "Nono you bought the wrong one. The '86 is like the worst one, there's no supercharger on yours."
Old 09-02-2023, 09:57 AM   #92
RS Veteran

lol good times
You've come a long way since!

This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2023, 06:51 PM   #93
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,462 Times in 5,119 Posts
Fugg dukes and his supercharger oh look at me with my top mount Intercooler I’m so cool… guy walked around like his t-tops didn’t even leak or something
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2023, 07:24 PM   #94
RS Veteran

Don't forget that you helped me rub sticky white stuff all over them.

This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2023, 08:46 PM   #95
RabidMod

Ok. It turns out they don't make the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 in the RAV4 fitment for whatever dumb reason. Then I saw radeonboy's post about the comparable ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus and I saw it has even better wet braking, great! Except they don't do RAV4 fitment for that either.

You know what they do make in RAV4 fitment? Michelin Pilot Sport 4, which btw is 220AA in this application, and thus delightful overkill. I was all set to go forth until it turned out there's seemingly only 1 single tire of this size left in all of BC.

So I ordered a set of supafamous' Michelin CrossClimate 2 from Costco. I was surprised to find for a compromise tire they are actually so good at wet braking, and not even that bad in the snow either!

edit: a really close second was BFG KO2 A/Ts. Responsible? No. Badass? Very. Slippery slope though; I'd probably wind up putting in a lift kit and then a roof rack, next thing you know it's got a winch.

Last edited by RabidRat; 09-02-2023 at 09:24 PM.
RabidRat is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2023, 09:35 PM   #96

^I think many will agree here that the CC2s are a good choice - it's what I would choose for my parents if they needed new tires. Saves them the trouble (of asking me to help) with swapping and storing tires 2x per year.

There's a tiny part of me that wants to get the Pilot Sport 5 tires for my EV Soul, but it's truly a waste of a good tire (and money) on an EV econobox.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2023, 04:17 PM   #97
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Ok. It turns out they don't make the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 in the RAV4 fitment for whatever dumb reason. Then I saw radeonboy's post about the comparable ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus and I saw it has even better wet braking, great! Except they don't do RAV4 fitment for that either.

You know what they do make in RAV4 fitment? Michelin Pilot Sport 4, which btw is 220AA in this application, and thus delightful overkill. I was all set to go forth until it turned out there's seemingly only 1 single tire of this size left in all of BC.

So I ordered a set of supafamous' Michelin CrossClimate 2 from Costco. I was surprised to find for a compromise tire they are actually so good at wet braking, and not even that bad in the snow either!

edit: a really close second was BFG KO2 A/Ts. Responsible? No. Badass? Very. Slippery slope though; I'd probably wind up putting in a lift kit and then a roof rack, next thing you know it's got a winch.
Don't run a KO2 on an already underpowered crossover such as the RAV4. You'll regret it. Plus wet traction on those AT tires are questionable. That's what all these cuvs will see in Vancouver anyway
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: