REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-12-2023, 06:10 AM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
New car pricing?

I've been putting off buying my wife a vehicle for a year, if I have to I could wait another year the only issue she's now sharing her car with my son who has his license now.

I looked at some yesterday, stealerships still asking 10% over MSRP with no room for negotiation, seems steep with interest rates in the 8+ percentage. Opinions on when we might see a shift, is supply still really that bad and when will interest rates start pushing prices down?
Advertisement

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 06:26 AM   #2
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,720 Times in 3,139 Posts
I did this same exercise with a co worker recently. She wanted a new car, she was looking at econoboxes and ran into the issues you said above. Most dealerships either has limited or no inventory (still) and they want you to pay over asking.

Ultimately when we did the math, the tesla was just a cheaper purchase.
The Model Y can be delivered this month, no games, no dealer bs. Just need to make sure you can find somebody who can qualify you for the rebates and it works out to be about the same if not cheaper than a ratrolla or a civic.

P.s. Fuck you Honda and your 32k base model Civic.

I still dislike Tesla's immensely but the value proposition is the best in the market right now.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2023, 06:47 AM   #3
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I got my Mazda at MSRP, but that depends on what you're trying to buy. Seems like some dealers are tacking mandatory add-ons like ceramic coatings and cash cams. Others are forcing you to trade-in and/or finance...
jaaagman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2023, 06:50 AM   #4

my brother in law bought a murano early this year and they forced him to "lease" it. A stinking MURANO!!!

of course this dumb ass didnt ask me or the wife for help, and picked literally the worst car to spend 55k on. Nissan CVT? shit resale? gas pig? lame interior space? yeah and you paid friggin HOW MUCH FOR THAT?!
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2023, 07:13 AM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
lol he got raped

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2023, 07:23 AM   #6
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,011 Times in 1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I've been putting off buying my wife a vehicle for a year, if I have to I could wait another year the only issue she's now sharing her car with my son who has his license now.

I looked at some yesterday, stealerships still asking 10% over MSRP with no room for negotiation, seems steep with interest rates in the 8+ percentage. Opinions on when we might see a shift, is supply still really that bad and when will interest rates start pushing prices down?
It's gonna be a while... if ever. There's still dealerships around that only charge you for MSRP and no other add on bs. Just have to look around and ask around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2023, 07:31 AM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
Seems like car companies are doing better keeping inventory low and pricing high I doubt things will change unless a big recession hits and they can't sell anything.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2023, 07:36 AM   #8

yeah its just like working from home now.

Once the dealerships had a taste of the good life, they wont go back to the high inventory, high volume, numerous incentives days of yore. They'll artificially keep inventory low just to ensure everyone gets it straight up the ass.

that co worker of mine was told 3 month for a corolla.. A COROLLA!!!!!
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2023, 07:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
It's gonna be a while... if ever. There's still dealerships around that only charge you for MSRP and no other add on bs. Just have to look around and ask around.
I haven't looked that hard to be honest just went to a few dealerships near me. I would think it has to give as some point, historically rates and prices go up and down depending on interest rates, I guess the caveat is supply issues like we really haven't seen at least not in my life time as a consumer.

At this point are they just artificially holding back supply because it's good for the bottom line?

I'm just too cheap to pay that much over MSRP, it's more the principle that anything lol.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 06-12-2023, 07:39 AM   #10
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
My relative bought a car recently from Richmond Subaru at MSRP. Cash purchase. We did have to sit through the typical finance office BS though.
Old 06-12-2023, 07:45 AM   #11
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,054 Posts
Quote:
At this point are they just artificially holding back supply because it's good for the bottom line?
absolutely yes

Quote:
I'm just too cheap to pay that much over MSRP, it's more the principle that anything lol.
i feel you - it's hard on the brain. yes - it sucks, but it's just the way it is now.

the S in MSRP stands for suggested. there isn't and never has been a requirement for any dealer to charge this number at any time.

they've used C19 as a way to normalize charging more - and the OEM's have no problem with it.

this will change when the dealership model is abandoned. we're not far from it. What's the point of a car dealership in a prime condo location? dealerships are going to sell out soon. Central repair and delivery centers are all that will be needed.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2023, 07:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
absolutely yes

i feel you - it's hard on the brain. yes - it sucks, but it's just the way it is now.

the S in MSRP stands for suggested. there isn't and never has been a requirement for any dealer to charge this number at any time.

they've used C19 as a way to normalize charging more - and the OEM's have no problem with it.

this will change when the dealership model is abandoned. we're not far from it. What's the point of a car dealership in a prime condo location? dealerships are going to sell out soon. Central repair and delivery centers are all that will be needed.
All true, I've always paid under on every new vehicle I've purchased over the years, it's hard to come to grips with paying over and them having all the power.

I guess I could try contacting a bunch of dealerships on a particular model and see what they are willing to do and just go with the one that rapes me the most gently.

I'm not even opposed to a low mileage lease return but the problem with used is they want almost as much as new so at that point it's why bother.

Old 06-12-2023, 08:06 AM   #13
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,011 Times in 1,891 Posts
Quote:
I haven't looked that hard to be honest just went to a few dealerships near me. I would think it has to give as some point, historically rates and prices go up and down depending on interest rates, I guess the caveat is supply issues like we really haven't seen at least not in my life time as a consumer.

To an extent, yeah. More often than not dealers have no control with the new cars they're getting in so a way to control supply is make it harder for people to get them aka maximize their profits. Demand is basically higher than supply so hard to make money if you don't have something to sell.

When I got my 4Runner last year, I paid MSRP with no room for negotiation and that was with connections too. They did sell it to me without having to trade another car in though, or add a bunch of extended warranties, paint protection, etc. I considered that a win already in this day and age lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2023, 08:18 AM   #14
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I had no problems picking up my WRX at the Subaru in Coquitlam for MSRP + doc fee (what was quoted on the Subaru website). Sales didn't care how I structured the deal and the finance lady was the most chill F&I person I've ever worked with. She straight up said "you're probably not even going to keep this car for the warranty term so don't even bother with the extended warranty options". I wanted to buy a prepaid maintenance package but she said "lol no Subaru doesn't do that".

Definitely shop around - my first attempt was at Subaru on Marine and they were lowballing my trade + tacking on mandatory accessories. What are you looking to buy?
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2023, 08:57 AM   #15

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
Yea it sucks to buy now + interest rate, i think there's gonna be a slow down pretty soon. Unless you're a dumbass I don't see why you would want to finance at 8% or pay cash either given % rate. I think the market is getting pretty tired, most average consumers are getting tapped out. Also $2.05 gas prices. Why not just spend 10k for a beater for a n driver.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 08:59 AM   #16
I'm invisible

I picked up our new Lexus RX 350h a few weeks back and I paid MSRP and No mandatory dealer add ons.
Old 06-12-2023, 09:18 AM   #17
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
Really depends on what you're buying. Go over the Mitsubishi, they're having buy one get one free.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2023, 09:26 AM   #18
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Really depends on what you're buying. Go over the Mitsubishi, they're having buy one get one free.
And also who you know. One of my friends picked up a MK8 Golf R at MSRP with cash as well.
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 09:28 AM   #19

^^TROLLFACE?!?!!
Old 06-12-2023, 09:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison_Chen View Post
I picked up our new Lexus RX 350h a few weeks back and I paid MSRP and No mandatory dealer add ons.
you bought that beluga headed RX!? how is it so far?

From what ive read these are the issues so far on clublexus:
- electronic door lock/handle freezes during the winter and you cant open the door. Apparently the moisture gets in there and freezes
- the gas cap cover panel is misaligned on like 50% of these due to fit and finish issues
- the user interface occasionally crashes and that heads up display steering wheel controller is frustrating a lot of people cuz it doesn't always work when you press it.
Old 06-12-2023, 09:40 AM   #21
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
100% agree on Badhobz' suggestion for Tesla. Model 3 or Y -- the rebates, no BS, and availability really make them the most attractive deal for new cars right now. I also agree with the others that in this day and age, the car sales dealership model has become outdated, and outlived it purposes. It is exactly like the taxi model becoming outdated, and getting replaced by a combination of car sharing programs and Uber/Lyft.

Question for Badhobz though -- I can't help but noticed that you were putting in a LOT of effort into helping this female coworker of yours. Wink wink nudge nudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
I did this same exercise with a co worker recently. She wanted a new car, she was looking at econoboxes and ran into the issues you said above. Most dealerships either has limited or no inventory (still) and they want you to pay over asking.

Ultimately when we did the math, the tesla was just a cheaper purchase.
The Model Y can be delivered this month, no games, no dealer bs. Just need to make sure you can find somebody who can qualify you for the rebates and it works out to be about the same if not cheaper than a ratrolla or a civic.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2023, 09:48 AM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:

Send out emails. Don't have to go anywhere, BCC all the dealers with the same email. Sit back and see who bites.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2023, 10:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Question for Badhobz though -- I can't help but noticed that you were putting in a LOT of effort into helping this female coworker of yours. Wink wink nudge nudge
shes 60 years old

just my type...
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2023, 11:42 AM   #24

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
shes 60 years old

just my type...
The type to have a 25 year old daughter?
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 12:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Send out emails. Don't have to go anywhere, BCC all the dealers with the same email. Sit back and see who bites.
Yeah, this is how I bought my current truck. At the time you could negotiate, I made an offer on the truck with certain Options, same offer to all 4, 3 of them said no one of them said yeah we'll do it. I just drove to the dealership the next day, signed the papers and drove home, even had my trade negotiated by email but I was reasonable with everything.

I don't like the whole sit in my office experience well I speak to my manager approach either, not sure if they still do that but I refuse to take part in that bullshit.