REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-07-2023, 01:23 PM   #201
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,427 Times in 921 Posts
I don't think people spend $50-80K on a G80 for "fun" or the engine anyways.
Advertisement

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 01:26 PM   #202
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,045 Posts
I can't believe they put a 2.5T in that. I guess they put the 2.0T in the 5 series also.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:16 PM   #203
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
I talked my dad in to a 2020 G80 (Blue with the V6 Turbo). Looks better inside and out then the newer ones I think. I'm not sure why they changed is so dramatically.

Still, damn good car for the money. Sure it doesn't have the badge... but that's a plus as often as it's a negative it seems these days it seems.
Those are great deals at <$40k - I tried one on a short Autocross once and was pleasantly surprised how it performed for its size.
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2023, 05:08 PM   #204
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,203 Times in 372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Holy shit. This thread started out great, and now it's just turned into a mid-life crisis thread. Some one at least post a Porsche or something so we can pretend it's some how related.
Porsche Math: Make the new one better and worse at the same time, charge 20-30% more
981 Cayman GTS on PZero.
⭐⭐⭐

TL;DR Cancelled my Cayman plans after driving one of these.

- Handling: a lot softer than I expected but very easy to drive.
- Driving Feeling: pretty neutral, very little steering feel
- Powertrain: After driving a lot of ZF8 cars, a DCT still hits different.

Magazines hyped these to the moon and back but I came away feeling "cold" about this car.
It's great but I don't think of it or really feel anything about it.
If I bought one, it'd be for the Porsche group chat, badge and the cargo space.

Got 130?+ cars on my cars driven list - I'll post some interesting ones here when the real estate thread's dead

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6

Last edited by AstulzerRZD; 12-07-2023 at 05:17 PM.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 05:23 PM   #205

W205 C63: Reality very different than internet fanbois
⭐⭐

TL;DR There are cars that punch above their weight and feel like they're way more than the sum of their parts, this is not one of them.

Another day, another Hertz Presidents Choice aisle full of Ford Edges.
This was supposed to be a saving grace for my trip, but when Mercedes delayed the W205 because the Mk7 Golf was just THAT good, maybe I should've delayed picking this.

0) This car was excellent for pulling up to boutiques that looked more like art galleries than clothing stores. Had a LOT of personal assistance with shopping that weekend despite wearing Jordans; perhaps this fit the WeHo nepo baby look.

Onto the car...
1) The power delivery is very inconsistent
2) Without an LSD, you really can't use a lot of its power even on the highway due to the bad LA roads
3) Feels like there's more than a layer or two of separation between the steering wheel and what the front end is doing
4) Exhaust really isn't that loud or great sounding, with flaps open it's quieter than a stock 5.0 Mustang or Scat Pack Challenger
5) Speaking of the Challenger, this somehow feels just as heavy to drive.

At least the W211 E63 in my bio was a great cruiser with an interesting engine.
This one's neither a good sports car nor cruiser... but "I'm in a C63 this weekend" piques enough peoples' interest that it's almost worth it.

Past:
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6

Last edited by AstulzerRZD; 12-07-2023 at 05:29 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2023, 05:39 PM   #206

A shining star in Toyota's lineup ... the light ... it arrives once you get off the 2 year waitlist

TL;DR How is the Prius this good?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

First they release the new Camry ... which steered so well that I felt confident sending it into the 91 > Knight onramp at 145 on ecotires...

.. but this is better.

1) On my Seattle <> Vancouver runs that I like to do at 85MPH, this is really quiet, doesn't suffer from any side mirror shake (that the RAV & Camry did). Steering and brake weighting is excellent.
2) They didn't just give the styling rizz, this might be the first Toyota product with sound system rizz; this has FCA/Stellantis levels of bass stock.
3) The interior UX finally makes sense - unlike the old Prius, this is something I could give to my parents and not expect any phone calls about how to drive the thing

4) You can finally feel confident passing on highways and ripping Granville street right lanes ... it's faster than the Integra A-Spec and Civic 1.5T to 60.
5) Lane keep assist and adaptive cruise on highways is very stable now (unlike the current gen Corolla when it first landed).
6) Steering ratio feels fast, turn is more aggressive than the Civic/Integra with more lift off oversteer to help with turn in I've experienced in a long time..
7) Regen braking got a lot stronger.

The new Prius is incredibly well rounded inside and out, finally drives very well, with styling that gives my coworkers "Tesla Vibes".

Fucking A.

Past:
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
Old 12-07-2023, 05:53 PM   #207
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,837 Times in 3,186 Posts
^These are excellent !
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2023, 07:39 PM   #208
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,186 Times in 239 Posts
love the new prius until I saw the price tag, 45k for an XLE out the door, but the wait will be long I bet
Autotraders have a couple used ones ranging from 50 - 53k before tax with a few thousand to 20k km. Yikes
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2023, 08:29 PM   #209
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,318 Times in 2,520 Posts
Coming from a Porsche fanboi (that's me, haha~) I'd say that based on your video, you are maybe tabbing into 30% of what the car is capable of doing, so I am not surprised to find that you didn't come away too impressed by the car.

Power is not the 981's strong suit -- the NA flat 6 doesn't have a lot of torque, so the power doesn't really impress.

PZero is a horrible tire -- grip is low for what is supposed to be a sporty tire, and I found them to be inconsistent when driven aggressively. Recovery from the moment after losing traction is also poor. The only thing they seem to be good at is their durability. But because the tire performs so poorly, their durability only extends the agony to drive them for a longer time.

IMO, the greatest strength with the Cayman is the way is can change directions. This is directly attributed to the MR layout, and is something non-MR cars just can't achieve. If you enjoy that sort of finesse, you'll really like the car. If that isn't your sort of thing, you'll enjoy it less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
Porsche Math: Make the new one better and worse at the same time, charge 20-30% more
981 Cayman GTS on PZero.
⭐⭐⭐

- Handling: a lot softer than I expected but very easy to drive.
- Driving Feeling: pretty neutral, very little steering feel
- Powertrain: After driving a lot of ZF8 cars, a DCT still hits different.

Magazines hyped these to the moon and back but I came away feeling "cold" about this car.
It's great but I don't think of it or really feel anything about it.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2023, 08:49 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I'd say that based on your video, you are maybe tabbing into 30% of what the car is capable of doing, so I am not surprised to find that you didn't come away too impressed by the car.

Power is not the 981's strong suit -- the NA flat 6 doesn't have a lot of torque, so the power doesn't really impress.

PZero is a horrible tire.

IMO, the greatest strength with the Cayman is the way is can change directions. This is directly attributed to the MR layout, and is something non-MR cars just can't achieve.
+1 on the PZero being awful - they were incredibly inconsistent on the 5.0 Mustang I had.

It's possible we have different taste in MR cars. I was a lot more impressed by Elise and Emira (except for the really bad manual gearbox).

GT3 Cup, 458 Challenge and Performante are something I think about a lot but they're in such a different price point that I don't think it's fair to compare.

Past:
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6

Last edited by AstulzerRZD; 12-07-2023 at 09:05 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2023, 08:59 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by is350 View Post
love the new prius until I saw the price tag, 45k for an XLE out the door, but the wait will be long I bet
Autotraders have a couple used ones ranging from 50 - 53k before tax with a few thousand to 20k km. Yikes
Being limited to the AWD only model doesn't do the pricing in Canada any favors. Prius Prime, however, comes out to 7k ish less than an SR+ in Canada if you can get your hands on one.

US pricing at 28k for the LE is still high when a Model 3 SR+ is like 25k USD in a lot of states. Prime doesn't qualify for any incentives in the states so it's dead in the water.

IMO I fully expect Toyota to allocate more Primes to Canada and more standard Hybrids to the US.

Past:
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2023, 12:07 AM   #212
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,826 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
i drove that exact same car hahah wish i tried the high-revving ferraris instead do they still have them?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 03:35 AM   #213
in the butt

Thanked 3,257 Times in 1,193 Posts

1990 Miata
the base version with negative horsepower

The good
I bought this car for 1200$ i think, about 9 years ago. Had 250,000kms.
Pop up headlights are "rare" and when i hit that headlight button, i was rock hard. Always wanted a car with em.
Proceeded to install a 12vdc relay to the left headlight with a remote. Then whenever i was near the car, and people would walk by, i would wink at them, followed by confusion. 10/10 execution.
Overall reliable, i tried to increase the power by retarding the timing, car still ran after. (Surprizingly)
Bitches love it, gets more compliments than a corvette and Z4
Lots of mod options "back in the day" in regards to wheels, lips, etc
Looked alot better after i plasti dipped it (probably part of the reason it qualified for FAG status by a random)

The bad
Roof is stiff and fuck to put on at times
Negative horsepower
Small AF, but i still fit inside
Bland AF interior
Qualifies for the most boring car i have owned as a roadster
Someone yelled FAG at a red light at me LOL

Would i buy another one?
Maybe to drive it into the ocean for youtube clicks

2015 C7 Z51

The price
You guys already know i paid more in tax on this monster than all of my cars combined

The good
Ranks top 3 cars i have owned (then again its also 8 years newer than any other car i have owned, and about 80,000-280,000kms less)
Absolute riot to drive
Milfs look at you in traffic while husbands grind their teeth
Smiles per gallon is very high
If your having a bad day, shes always there for you
Massive trunk space for a convertible
I finally caught up to all my homies in nice cars after years of shitboxes
Everyone struggles to open the door their first time, always amusing

The bad
Negative wheel choices, unless your willing to fork out 3500$+, due to the rear offset being +78......
Creaks and ticks from certain areas of the car, took me weeks to find and sort them out. There is still one in the steering wheel that i cant fix
These cars are notorious for having 2nd gear issues, mine does as well. Every 10th shift into 2nd does not actually go in so your just revving the engine
Touchscreen display gets scratched easily, never understood why manufacturers put this shit into cars

The new / unexpected for me
Built in PDR - track data recorder, that also doubles as a dashcam
Car always suggests shifting from 1st to 4th for fuel economy / ease of driving
7 gears baby
Center console touchscreen actually drops down into the car, and reveals a hidden storage compartment
Revmatching paddle switch, had no clue what this even was until some dude told me on the track
"Cooling" seats are good when you dont have goldbond
Variable exhaust tone
4 variable driving modes, and track has 5 submodes. I have had cars with sport mode before, but this car takes it to a whole new level. The difference in feel is not small, its massive.

2006? Ruckus

Price
Dont remember, maybe 1700$ pre-ricing 7 years ago?

The good
Ran without an issue
Lots of fun on FLAT roads
Already had a stretch kit, fartcan, etc on it when i got it, just needed repainting mainly

The bad
Fartcan gets annoying very quickly, especially going up hills full bore at 40kmh
No power
Kinda skech since it was so low, and the pegs would bite into the concrete on sharp turns kinda kicking the bike up. I was also a noob bike rider at this point so probably driver issue

The awesome
I bought this bad boy when i lived in a condo, the strata bylaws clearly state NO BICYCLES in the hallways / lobby etc. So i drove this thing through my halls, elevator, and into my unit, rules dont say no motorbikes.
Then i proceeded to strip it down, repaint the body, trim, plastic, buy a new rear rim, tire stretch it, rice it some more with velvet wrapping the seat, 20$ knock off ebay rear lights and put it back together in my living room.
Next up i did burnouts in my parkade, i about a month later everyone got a letter through strata, that someone is causing noise and tire marks in the parkade. I proceeded to frame this for life. (I lost the letter during one of my moves maybe i can find it through the strata archives) the way the letter was written me and my buddies were howling knowing it was us messing around and probably pissing off 85% of the residence the 3-4 times we did it.

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 05:17 AM   #214

Tres Bon ! Tres Bon ! Oui oui.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2023, 08:06 AM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i drove that exact same car hahah wish i tried the high-revving ferraris instead do they still have them?
I was planning on driving the 458 road car but got baited into a 458 Challenge ... this is a dangerous game.

Lineup was 981 GTS > Aventador S > Performante > 991 Cup > 458 Challenge

Past:
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2023, 08:43 AM   #216
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,318 Times in 2,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
2015 C7 Z51

The bad
Negative wheel choices, unless your willing to fork out 3500$+, due to the rear offset being +78......
For the Corvette, have you looked into Apex Wheels?

https://apexwheels.com/fitment-guide...rolet/corvette

I dunno my Corvettes all that well beyond the basic generational and rudimentary trim level differences, but it seems like there could potentially be a few good wheel choices for certain models. And Apex is a very reputable brand among the enthusiast and track circles, with flow formed models that will not break the bank.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 08:45 AM   #217
in the butt

Thanked 3,257 Times in 1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
For the Corvette, have you looked into Apex Wheels?

https://apexwheels.com/fitment-guide...rolet/corvette

I dunno my Corvettes all that well beyond the basic generational and rudimentary trim level differences, but it seems like there could potentially be a few good wheel choices for certain models. And Apex is a very reputable brand among the enthusiast and track circles, with flow formed models that will not break the bank.
I have, dont like their style, and they only come on 18/19 from my last conversation. Their nice wheels dont come in correct specs, and then they enter 3.5k+ range anyways

Cue first world problems, appreciate the suggestion regardless

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 08:52 AM   #218
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,623 Times in 5,179 Posts
That's 3.5K that should be going into gratuitous supercharging
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2023, 09:07 AM   #219
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,592 Times in 4,340 Posts
Wow, does honda even make the Ruckus?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 10:55 AM   #220
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,826 Times in 3,906 Posts
dont recall used stock ruckus ever that cheap, feel like they were only a bit less than new
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 04:29 AM   #221

Leave it to donk to take a ruckus to make a ruckus.
I had it’s more civilized (gay) cousin the jazz 50cc
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2023, 12:36 PM   #222

BMW X6: Premium Economy - who is this for?
⭐⭐

1700KM of driving in 2 days later... ladies and gentlemen, we're in Premium Economy where the best compliment are we can give is that there's nothing wrong, the B58 is reliable and the features/specs look good on a spec sheet.

I really would've rather done the drive in my Mk7 TSI that I drove in college.

Gone are the days where BMW built business/first class experiences that were special and you'd think about weeks after the fact.

As a road trip car:
- Fairly powerful with the B58, don't really need to think about passing
- 10.5L/100km cruising between 135 and 150kmh

As a BMW:
- steers fairly well at highway speeds with decent weight but 0 feel
- very harsh over large bumps even in comfort mode
- ��ZF8 transmission tuning is kinda slow vs. Dodge/Alfa/Audi
- �� unlike the American V8s I'm used to (5.0/392), B58 doesn't feel special, sounds like a 2GR off idle & still falls off at high RPM

As a daily driver:
- heated armrests are nice
- autopark feature generally works very well in lower NYC & Toronto
- both phone compartments roast the phone with heat
- cost cutting from no proximity entry for non drivers' doors
- cost cutting from no electrochromic mirrors on the passenger side, hella glare
- harmon kardon distorts at medium volume

As a status icon:
- it's giving older uncle from the suburbs who exited to in-house counsel at Dunder Mifflin OR became lead construction project manager
- friends got into the car and said it looked "fun"

At 85k as driven with medium equipment, you could get
1) Well equipped Porsche Macan S that would drive a lot better & better badge. 2.9T tunes well but kinda laggy.
2) Well equipped base Porsche Cayenne that would drive a lot better if you spec it with active roll bars and rear wheel steering; 2.9T.
3) Escalade with much more comfortable magnetic ride and the 47inch OLED infotainment... but you might look like a chauffer; 6.2L
4) Used Aston DBX are in the 110k range; AMG 4.0 V8
5) Used G63 from the mid 2010s; AMG 6.2/5.5/4.0 V8s available
6) Used Bentley Bentayga with the ugly taillights (pre 2021); W12 or 4.0TT V8 available.
7) Grand Cherokee/Durango Hellcat based on ML chassis
8) X5 50e with an awesome plug in powertrain - 483 hp, 516 lb-ft, 70km range same as RAV4 Prime

Whether you're a c-lai, corporate uncle, or a young FOB... buying any of these puts you in business class - an experience that's more special, more comfortable, and better put together.

BMW's best products are the Supra, X3 M/M40i, M3..... or their leases after Loaner/BMWCCA/Loyalty/MSD/OL discounts.

Past:
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6

Last edited by AstulzerRZD; 12-15-2023 at 02:46 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2023, 12:39 PM   #223
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,413 Times in 5,678 Posts
That camera in the cluster looks pretty cool
Old 12-15-2023, 12:41 PM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
That camera in the cluster looks pretty cool
Augmented reality navigation kinda works, but it's off most of the time since we're using Carplay/Android Auto. The voice recognition reads the voice well but most of the time doesn't offer any help.

Porsche/Cadillac/MB offer night vision which is really helpful for rural road trips.

Past:
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2023, 03:12 PM   #225
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
[B]B
8) X5 50e with an awesome plug in powertrain - 483 hp, 516 lb-ft, 70km range same as RAV4 Prime
These seem like a decent deal for what it offers, especially when lightly optioned for <$100k before taxes. Would rather take a lightly-optioned one of these than a XC90 Recharge or RX450h+ Prime (or whatever Lexus call them).
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote