REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-13-2023, 10:17 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Too late Tesla. I don't see any normal truck dude getting this when the Lightning and Silverado EV are available.
I think not. I have heard from numerous people in the construction industry that have placed multiple pre-orders for Cybertrucks. No questions that some have moved on to the lightning but the benefit of the Tesla charging network and convenience of the bed size and features of the cybertruck will win over a lot of people.
Advertisement
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2023, 10:38 PM   #27
I bringith the lowerballerith

dings and dents must stick out like a sore thumb especially with that brush aluminum finish.
red kryptonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 10:51 PM   #28
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,838 Times in 8,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red kryptonite View Post
dings and dents must stick out like a sore thumb especially with that brush aluminum finish.
Owners are going to have to stock up on Scotchbrite instead of buffing pads
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 12:06 AM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,083 Times in 1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Saw one at the Peterson museum in LA. It's just as ugly in real life. Have a day 1 pre order.
Well, one Tesla fan on RS has chimed in. Just waiting for the other one...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2023, 01:33 AM   #30
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,392 Times in 3,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red kryptonite View Post
I won't get dings and dents. It can take a hit from a sledge hammer.

https://youtu.be/sCN6TIk46U0?si=nrU0nHt-VpdPaNtr
Old 10-14-2023, 03:56 AM   #31
RabidMod

Thanked 1,100 Times in 408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koflach View Post
I think not. I have heard from numerous people in the construction industry that have placed multiple pre-orders for Cybertrucks. No questions that some have moved on to the lightning but the benefit of the Tesla charging network and convenience of the bed size and features of the cybertruck will win over a lot of people.
I'm still mourning the speculated concepts that were floating around prior to the official announce, when it was going to look like this:

Looks like an Isuzu VehiCross!

Then the reveal came and I was aghast. But in denial and disbelief I still put a deposit down anyway lol.

Because imo you're right: despite what it looks like, and what one might think about the CEO, Tesla has nailed it with the supercharger network and core EV tech. Non-Tesla EV ownership is like "well it's pretty annoying it isn't as good at actually being an EV as a Tesla, but I will accept that because X Y and Z."

Tbh if the Cybertruck had ended up looking like the above, I probably would've gotten that instead of the Rivian. It's too bad lol. That's a good size too: it's like Maverick sized, and look how well those are selling. People really just want an inexpensive off-road capable crossover with some DGAF space in the back. Throw in a GMC-style passthrough folding mid-gate, and you solve the bed length problem too.

Also it's way late, probably just solely because it was hard to manufacture the stupid cold-rolled stainless steel allegedly-exoskeleton that nobody asked for. Damn it why!!

Last edited by RabidRat; 10-14-2023 at 04:21 AM.
RabidRat is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2023, 08:40 AM   #32

There's always going to be luddites who will refuse to give up their 1994 Ford F-350 but the majority of truck drivers are not these people. One company I work with just bought their site supervisors F150 lightnings and traded in their ICE F150's as they can get a new vehicle for significantly less than they were spending on fuel.

Other than people who use their truck for work are the soccer mom's/baseball dad's and hicks with small dicks. Most of the mom's and dad's will have no problem with either the Lightning, Rivian or Cybertruck. If they already have a Model S/3/X/Y, the odds of them getting the Cybertruck are really high.

For the hicks, they will get buried in their gas guzzler.

Personally, I really like the look of the Rivian and am not a big fan of the Cybertruck's looks but I would never buy an EV that can't use the Tesla Supercharging network as it is so easy to use.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2023, 09:53 AM   #33
RabidMod

Thanked 1,100 Times in 408 Posts
Lmao take your thanks; some of that hick stuff was pretty catchy.

Quote:
I would never buy an EV that can't use the Tesla Supercharging network as it is so easy to use.
Often it's not even that it's easier to use, it's that all the alternatives are such a broken experience, at least as of right now.

Last December, on the day I took delivery of the R1T, a buddy and I did the 1500km drive up to Vancouver to visit over the holiday break. Mix of Electrify America, EVgo, etc. 1 in 2 attempts to initiate a charge would straight up fail on the first try. And even if it eventually worked, wouldn't deliver the full charging speed. You'd get maybe 50kW or 100kW at a 350kW charger. 1 in 3 would just straight up never work, so you have to hop to another charger (if any don't have a long line: often not). So you call the support number and asked them to reboot the machine for you, sometimes over and over til it works, sometimes never recovers. And - critically - 1 in 5 times, none of the friggin chargers at a station work at all, and things get a little desperate looking on the map for the next closest charger, sometimes having to backtrack a long way, and on very few miles left on the battery. Frustratingly, the map shows plenty of Tesla superchargers all around lol. A hickup here and there on a trip is fine, but when your mind consistently has to be in survival mode, it takes a little away from the experience.

At least with Tesla now opening up supercharger access to other makes, things will get better. Even if they charge a premium, at least now in a non-Tesla EV you no longer run the risk of getting stranded on a road trip. And fortunately, it happens that I get away with doing most of my charging at work (for free), but that's not everyone's situation.

Last edited by RabidRat; 10-14-2023 at 10:02 AM.
RabidRat is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2023, 10:24 AM   #34
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,251 Times in 1,227 Posts
Personally I don't see the cybertruck taking off. Sure some tech geeks with money that think they want a full size truck might buy one but they'll soon realize they don't actually want a big truck for just city driving and EVs ain't it if you actually do use your truck to tow long distances.

The full size truck market is though to crack. Nissan failed, Toyota has a small piece of the pie in the full size market even though they dominate the midsize market. People who buy full size trucks aren't just ditching the brand they like for some newcomer, especially with a design like that.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2023, 10:32 AM   #35
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,517 Times in 5,138 Posts
Quote:
There's always going to be luddites who will refuse to give up their 1994 Ford F-350 but the majority of truck drivers are not these people. One company I work with just bought their site supervisors F150 lightnings and traded in their ICE F150's as they can get a new vehicle for significantly less than they were spending on fuel.

Other than people who use their truck for work are the soccer mom's/baseball dad's and hicks with small dicks. Most of the mom's and dad's will have no problem with either the Lightning, Rivian or Cybertruck. If they already have a Model S/3/X/Y, the odds of them getting the Cybertruck are really high.

Personally, I really like the look of the Rivian and am not a big fan of the Cybertruck's looks but I would never buy an EV that can't use the Tesla Supercharging network as it is so easy to use.
Depends on the site, I actually hate trucks, but unfortunately my organization's fleet is 75% trucks... we were basically given a Lightning standard range and I can't even find anyone willing to drive it as anything more than a get around town and science equipment vehicle if they don't have to go far. Range dissipated down to 143km in the winter,

We mostly need payloads of 5,000lbs+ and towing 15,000lbs+ and there isn't currently an electric that can do it... not even close... and especially in all the remote sites we work out of around the province.

It's getting there, but not as fast as anyone would like and the costs are insane. I can still buy a F-350 for $63,000 and a Lightning extended is $90,000 and can't even do half the work the 350 can.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 10:48 AM   #36
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,393 Times in 5,667 Posts
Quote:

Lol.. you’re discounting a huge portion of people who have travel trailers, toys, etc. that these trucks will never be able to replace.

Try towing an enclosed trailer with 4 snowmobiles with a model X, good luck.

I thought with gas prices the way they are these toy haulers and camper trailers etc. would be dieing a slow death, but over the past few summers/falls I’ve never seen so many rigs out on the road in Kamloops/Kelowna/Penticton. Etc

Also, jobs like the pipeline etc. there isn’t one electric truck because that would be a huge burden
Old 10-14-2023, 12:05 PM   #37

This truck is going to be a massive hit. Tesla has over 1.9 million pre-orders already. That's a 5 year wait if you order one now.

https://www.gizmochina.com/2023/07/2...-time-5-years/
Old 10-14-2023, 12:31 PM   #38
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,032 Posts
^ I have my doubts. It just simply looks way too big. I don't think people realize how massive in size the Cybertruck will be. It might sell out for the first 2 years but I think by year 3 you'll be able to get one easily.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 12:41 PM   #39
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,790 Times in 3,166 Posts
First ones will catch on fire or be so poorly assembled that you’ll basically be living at the dealership

Then after 2-5 years it’ll be a semi feasible product and by that time the design is already outdated or the revision /mid cycle refresh will be out.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-14-2023, 12:56 PM   #40

Thanked 8,931 Times in 3,881 Posts
Weren't "preorders" only $100? Tons of those are going to be people who are just hoping they can flip it for a profit.

I have a feeling a lot of the interest will die out once people realize how hard it'll be to find a parking space for it and how much truck-sized consumables cost.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2023, 01:14 PM   #41
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,517 Times in 5,138 Posts
Tesla built just over 1 million cars GLOBALLY in all of 2022... how can anyone think they're going to be able to add 375,000 CyberTrucks to that annually?

Nevermind the fact Ford+Chevy+Dodge built/sold over 1.5 mill trucks in 2022 in the USA alone

I don't think too many of those preorders are going to translate into actual orders, especially when people see the price lol... gonna be over 6 figures in Canada... half my friends put down a deposit on one and like 2 of them have the means to buy such a vehicle IF they want it
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2023, 01:51 PM   #42
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,251 Times in 1,227 Posts
$100 refundable deposits are considered sales now?
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2023, 02:45 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
^ I have my doubts. It just simply looks way too big. I don't think people realize how massive in size the Cybertruck will be. It might sell out for the first 2 years but I think by year 3 you'll be able to get one easily.
People like big trucks.

The police will be all over these. It's fast, bullet proof, and has a ton of storage for gear in the back. Oracle is already working on software for the police. It will integrate with the screen and all the camera's.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/orac...uiser-concept/
Old 10-14-2023, 03:04 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Here is a good comparison on the size of the cybertruck vs the F150.

https://carbuzz.com/news/stop-compar...the-ford-f-150
Old 10-14-2023, 03:09 PM   #45

Quote:
Here is a good comparison on the size of the cybertruck vs the F150.

This link works.

Old 10-14-2023, 03:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
What's the difference between that link and the one I posted?
Old 10-14-2023, 04:12 PM   #47

Quote:
What's the difference between that link and the one I posted?
For some reason it was not working for me. It is now.
Old 10-14-2023, 08:38 PM   #48

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
Even i have a deposit on a Cyber truck. It was $500
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2023, 10:54 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Even i have a deposit on a Cyber truck. It was $500
Are you sure? I only paid $100.
Old 10-15-2023, 10:39 AM   #50

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
Wasnt it $500? My friend and I put one in for shits and giggles a few years ago. Was kinda joking around thinking we could sell or spot or something stupid .

Got a email from them last week.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote