REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 09-23-2007, 09:07 AM   #51
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally posted by Nvasion
Thanks BellyDancerYuna. I just wanted to see what everyone around my age has accomplished. Just felt that ive been set a couple of years back with what has happened.
I know this post may make some people think that ive given up on my life or whatever. but going through what ive been through makes me having to climb the "ladder" from mid way point all over again.

i know one day ill look back at this post and laugh
22 is still young in my opinion. I think you should look at yourself more instead of what others have accomplished.

I would ask myself:
1.What do I want to do
2. What am I capable of
3. What are the steps that will determine what I want to do.

Its a good thing you are worried about your future because you realize that you are not progressing at a significant rate.

My brother in-law is almost 30. No job, no education, play games all day, and planning to use his parents' money for his wedding and kids.

I have only indicated a small portion on how incompetent he is, but anyways, I wouldn't worry too much right now and I would start by looking at RIGHT NOW.

GOOD LUCK!
Advertisement
Taiwanese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #52
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

-4th year of pointless degree with average grades
-Haven't dated in almost a year
-Worked on a lot of short term stints/ideas that have provided great income now, but no future potential/not sustainable
-Personal assets consist of only my clothes and my car, but have been keen on saving a lot of money in the bank as I have no clue what to do with it right now.

I feel I am in a great position financially for my age, but completely clueless as to what's even next year. At 21 I'd much rather be broke, but be decisive and competent enough to sit down and make a firm planning decision.
svelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #53
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

im 20 years old now, after fucking around doing nothing in douglas college for about two years (taking random courses my parents wanted me 2), ive found a passion for sports science and hope to do physiotherapy one day! i realize that it is a VERY tough field to get into, but hopefully i can make it.

other aspects of my life are ok i guess, i have a great girlfriend who has helped me grow up (i guess since shes 24 and graduated with a double major from sfu she has experienced a lot more than i have...in the class room atleast). unfortunatly i have to sell my eclipse because i cant afford it anymore since i dont work as much while im in school. i have a part time job at TD bank and i love working there and meeting new people.

i guess this thread is great because it is good to reflect on the things that you have done. i read something once that said

"you cant always judge life by the numbers on the scoreboard, but rather how you feel about the wins and loses that you encounter"

i think that quote says a lot.
- 2006 325i E90 (sold)
- 2003 Touring 350z 6spd Twin Turbo (summer love)
- 2000 Prelude Greddy Turbo (sold)
- 1998 Eclipse Spyder GS-T (sold)
- 1993 Grand Prix GTP (sold)
- 1989 Bonneville SSE (my first love!! sold)
Hustler604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:54 PM   #54
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

incase you have a minute, go on and read this poem, it really tells a lot...

The Man In The Glass

Anonymous

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day,
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
And see what that man has to say.

For it isn’t your father or mother or wife
Whose judgment upon you must pass.
The fellow whose verdict counts most in you life
Is the one staring back from the glass.

You may be like Jack Horner and chisel a plum
And think you’re a wonderful guy.
But the man in the glass says you’re only a bum
If you can’t look him straight in the eye.

He’s the fellow to please-never mind all the rest,
For he’s with you clear to the end.
And you’ve passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.

hope you all enjoyed that
- 2006 325i E90 (sold)
- 2003 Touring 350z 6spd Twin Turbo (summer love)
- 2000 Prelude Greddy Turbo (sold)
- 1998 Eclipse Spyder GS-T (sold)
- 1993 Grand Prix GTP (sold)
- 1989 Bonneville SSE (my first love!! sold)
Hustler604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:09 PM   #55
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Interesting thread..

I'm 25, basically just worked at the same place for the last 5 years.. going to college now taking Business Admin. I love it.. I want to get my degree and eventually work in the financial services industry. I would love to become an investment advisor.
I have been with my gf for over 2 years.
For nerdy hobbies I trade stocks and read about emerging companies.. for other hobbies I play ice hockey and mostly chill w. my friends and gf..

I guess I never took life too serious untill I realized that I was like officially in the 20's haha.. I dont judge my life performance on what my friends are doing.. Just go at your own pace and set realistic goals, short term and long term. I wouldnt be disapointed if I finished school at 30.
bossxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #56
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Well, im 17, I drive a 93 sentra gxe, make around 800$/MO, moving out next year to Ottawa and hopefully gunna go to Algonquin College for carpentry then join the RCMP...
xerocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #57
I STILL don't get it

I'm 17, born in HK, been in Vancouver since I was 5. Lots of ups and downs during my elementary/high school life, in 1st year UBC at the moment. I drive my parents Corolla for 90% of the time, and don't really have to pay for anything, and have a month-old steady paying $8 dollar job, which is still better than nothing ._.

I'm single, though I'd like a girlfriend, I don't think I can handle one. My current goals are to earn some money, get into stocks, and also make friends, try to grow taller, buff up, gain some confidence... and not get kicked out of school so I can get my BASC a few years down the road.

I do hope to have something accomplished by age of 22, not just money, but some proven accomplishments.
kaitamasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:37 PM   #58
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

23 years old
volunteer
cook
military
cap college - canadian studies
JIBC - random stuff
edit - oh ya, forgot auto mechanic
VCC and BCIT

no future plans, just living life with no regrets=P

Last edited by BBMme; 10-03-2007 at 10:40 PM.
BBMme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:27 PM   #59
Director of RS Cares

Before I say anything, I really don't think I could have achieved what I've done so far in my life without my parentals. SO...e-hugs to them!

Growing up, I will openly admit, I was freaking spoiled. Now don't get me wrong, I wasn't a brat or anything but I was very very naive and just had no real understanding on how the world worked. Anyhow, after awhile my parentals decided it was time I grew up and threw me into the real world.

I'm currently in my third year at Capilano and I'm hoping to get into SFU by next fall. I turned 20 just this April and I've been working with a developer as one of their project coordinators for the past 2 years. I no longer am powered by my parentals but myself.

It's definitely a change and at times it really sucks to see all your hardwork decreasing by the dollar sign but knowing your own effort was put into achieving that next step (paying for own car, tuition, own bills etc etc)..makes all the difference.

I'm taking my real estate course not because I want to be an agent (we already have enough of those in this family) but because the field of work I want to get into will benefit from it.

In a couple of years I really hope to start our own family business (Development). But until then, I'm just going to live life from day to day, learn and just have fun along the way.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #60
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Serious discussion, eh? OK........

Turning 50 this month. I grew up in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. One block from Main and Hastings. Lived there for 16 years. My parents worked very hard to get the family out of poverty. I never saw my father much because he was always at work, but my mom did everything she could to keep me out of gangs and in school, while working every day in a real shitty job. Anyway, we made it out of that neighbourhood - an experience I will never forget. Presently, I am married with three grown up children. I live in an upper middle class neighbourhood in North Langley. I just finished paying off my mortgage. Did this on a single income. I took on two jobs and never took a vacation in 26 years. Well....... I lied. I went to Drumheller with the kids when they were young (grades 1 - 6). Went on a long weekend. One day to get there, one day to see everything, and one day to get back. Now that I've paid off my mortgage, I'm going to live it up a bit. I quit the second job two years ago. Got 8 more years before retirement. I will start collecting pension from the company pension plan at that time, then Canada pension on top at that at 65. I live my life through my children. Sounds dumb, but it's great. My children got to do stuff I never even dreamed about when I was their age. My eldest son (number 1 son) is in 4th year at SFU. My daughter is in2nd year at SFU, and my youngest is still in secondary school.

When I retire, I plan to drive across this great country of ours. "Confederation Bridge, here I come!"

Edit: Best thing about growing up poor is I can lose everything today and know how to survive. I also learned to appreciate everything I have.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 10-04-2007 at 11:03 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #61
Director of RS Cares

^props daddycivic. thanks for putting a close tear to my eye.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:10 PM   #62
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Ok my turn..

Im 23, been with the same gf for 7 yrs, will get married sooner rather than later.

Made it 3 yrs into a 4 yr BA in history for teaching, only to realize that it really wasn't for me.

Worked at the same job (Safeway) for almost 5 yrs now, and after all a lot of unpaid overtime and coming in on my days off, i just got promoted to be a Produce Manager. Now I'm not going to make millions, but I get to write my own schedule and will be available to live(own) in my own condo before Im 24.

The plan is to manage a Safeway before the age of 30. (I'm already the second youngest Produce Manager in BC, so its not completely unrealistic.)

and oh ya i drive a 2003 Focus ZX5, which i own.
saint16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:41 PM   #63
SFICC-05*

Turned 22 in August.

Final year at UBC, graduate in April with IDST in Economics, Psychology, and Asian Studies. I was planning to enroll in the Sauder DAP program (accounting diploma) after grad but after working at a CA firm over the summer, I realized it wasn't for me. Now, I'm looking into the CFA program and hopefully will be able to make a decision before I get out of school. Working part time at a place downtown that pays pretty decent. Got out of a relationship in Sept, so just enjoying the freedom of being single.

Savings are low and I have an RX-7 that is uninsured as I don't drive to work nor school. I'm not in any debt, but I'm not where I'd want to be right now.

The goal is probably move out somewhere downtown by summer next year and start living independantly. Living at home at the moment, and don't get me wrong, it's great, but I think it's about time to move out haha.

Last edited by chun; 10-04-2007 at 10:44 PM.
chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:53 PM   #64
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

23yo

-Final year of Pharmacy at UBC
-In lots of debt and have realized i'll be working a couple years with the majority of my salary going to pay it all off...
-No nice car
-Valedictorian of my class
-Met lots of friends, and nice people
-Looking to own my own pharmacies, as many as I can
-Not going to buy a house, going to buy my drug shacks first

Overall I think things are going ok. Wish I was done right now and making money... wish I could decide which company to work for... But that's all still TBA...

Wish I had rich parents too, but instead I get a nice chunk of debt that I have to pay off myself...

Oh well... there are ups and downs to everything
Old 10-05-2007, 01:20 AM   #65
I bringith the lowerballerith

24, living the "broke, amature athlete" life at home. 2 world championship golds as well as 2 silvers in the bastard flatwater sport of dragonboating.
BUT, zero debts, a bit of money in long-term investments, and in the middle of the RCMP application process. Grew up wanting to be a cop and now after years of discovering myself, my morals, my principles, and figuring out which department/force suited my desires, i'm on the road to completing that childhood "urge".
I've travelled to about a dozen different countries, used to speak 4 different languages either fluently or passably (down to only 2 now) and am content with the way my life is progressing.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #66
Tech Team Mod

Wow, some of you guys really make me feel under accomplished

Just turned 23, with no academic accomplishments to speak of. Toyed with the idea of going back to school for post-secondary but with no clear idea of what career path I want to take, I have yet to decide anything. Been working since highschool, and now hold a management position working for an American bank at a call center. Official title, I'm a Business Analyst. Financially, I do very well, especially considering my age. Assets, 5+ figures in RRSP's, $30k worth of vehicles listed below. Credit score in the mid 700's.

Currently I'm just having fun enjoying life while I procrastinate making the choices that will decide the rest of my life. Do I keep saving for a down payment on a house? Do I liquidate my assets to pay for me to go back to school? We're young, plenty of time to make decisions!

2001 BMW M Coupe - Laguna Seca Blue
2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
2003 Honda CBR 954RR
dubzz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #67
RS Licensed Vendor

Damn when I was 22 I was broke as fuck. I had a stable 6 yr gf was working @ FS making maybe $2500-3000 a month. FInanced a Civic. Was living @ home. I didn't take any post secondary. I'd honestly say you're pretty on track with your age.

Once you hit around 24-25 thats when you're more expected to make more career oriented decisions. Most people 22 are still in school, it's once you're out of school is when shit starts getting hectic.

Anyways, don't let shit discourage you. I know the feeling of not knowing what the fucks going on in life. Try and stay positive and eventually you snap the fuck out of it and life progresses.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #68
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:
Originally posted by 89blkcivic
Serious discussion, eh? OK........

Turning 50 this month. I grew up in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. One block from Main and Hastings. Lived there for 16 years. My parents worked very hard to get the family out of poverty. I never saw my father much because he was always at work, but my mom did everything she could to keep me out of gangs and in school, while working every day in a real shitty job. Anyway, we made it out of that neighbourhood - an experience I will never forget. Presently, I am married with three grown up children. I live in an upper middle class neighbourhood in North Langley. I just finished paying off my mortgage. Did this on a single income. I took on two jobs and never took a vacation in 26 years. Well....... I lied. I went to Drumheller with the kids when they were young (grades 1 - 6). Went on a long weekend. One day to get there, one day to see everything, and one day to get back. Now that I've paid off my mortgage, I'm going to live it up a bit. I quit the second job two years ago. Got 8 more years before retirement. I will start collecting pension from the company pension plan at that time, then Canada pension on top at that at 65. I live my life through my children. Sounds dumb, but it's great. My children got to do stuff I never even dreamed about when I was their age. My eldest son (number 1 son) is in 4th year at SFU. My daughter is in2nd year at SFU, and my youngest is still in secondary school.

When I retire, I plan to drive across this great country of ours. "Confederation Bridge, here I come!"

Edit: Best thing about growing up poor is I can lose everything today and know how to survive. I also learned to appreciate everything I have.
Thats actually very touching. Kind of similar to my family but my moms side imigrated from China to Kelowna like 50 years ago lol. Had me when they live in chinatown area and gradually worked their asses off and move up. I've probably moved like 8-10 times already. lol

Kinda makes you realize everything your parents try and do for you during the "struggle". Alot of the priveledged kids nowdays don't understand how hard their parents worked for them.

anyways thats my rant
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #69
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

^ I have immense respect for parents that have sacrificed so much for the wellbeing of their children.

I am 20, in my 4th year of Microbiology and Immunology at UBC, and I hope to enter Medical School if not next year, then the year after.
bob_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #70
My homepage has been set to RS

Alright, I just turned 18 last last week
-I have a girlfriend
-Planning to buy a nice car thats not parent powered in march
-worked in a few different restruants, planning to go into hospitality ( 1 year culinary school, 4 years Hospitality Management )
- got some awesome friends
- currently aiming to have my own business or get a high ranking postion in a well established hotel or restruant.
- only thing i see stopping me is my gimped spelling and grammer problems lol...

-if all fails, i have a fall back job where i can take over my fathers company.
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #71
RabidMod

Thanked 1,099 Times in 407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MelonBoy

- only thing i see stopping me is my gimped spelling and grammer problems lol...
easily fixed - just do a bunch of reading
Old 10-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #72
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Quote:
Alright, I just turned 18 last last week
-I have a girlfriend
-Planning to buy a nice car thats not parent powered in march
-worked in a few different restruants, planning to go into hospitality ( 1 year culinary school, 4 years Hospitality Management )
- got some awesome friends
- currently aiming to have my own business or get a high ranking postion in a well established hotel or restruant.

-if all fails, i have a fall back job where i can take over my fathers company.
Its totally up to you, but when I was like you I was thinking the same. I totally regret buying a nice new shiny car and before entering University, I sold it for a cheap civic to get me around.

Of course, it depends on each person, but from my experience, having a brand new car is just a waste of money at such a young age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:50 PM   #73

agreed. cars are money-pits, whether its maintaining them, or modifying them. always something to do. at the "just turned 18" age, take that money and invest it into a) education, or b) a long-term investment portfolio. i think about how much money i've dumped into my "fun" car and my beater combined, and all i can think about is how much more money i'd be making annually through interest if i had added that to the money i'd invested when i was 18. it would be nearly double the initial investment, plus whatever extra interest that would have gained me.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 10-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #74
My homepage has been set to RS

easily fixed - just do a bunch of reading
- lucky for me I enjoy reading

Of course, it depends on each person, but from my experience, having a brand new car is just a waste of money at such a young age.
- lol ya i thot about that too... buy a car or save that 30-40k as a down payment for a house later on in life lol... doozy.
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:47 PM   #75

Quote:
lol ya i thot about that too... buy a car or save that 30-40k as a down payment for a house later on in life lol... doozy.
you can buy a decent car without spending 30-40k. buying used isn't all that bad either, just make sure you buy smart (this is coming from someone who dislikes 2nd hand anything and always likes to buy the best possible). the left-over can be put into investments, like i mentioned before. if you're going to just sit on the money, may as well let it work for you and earn interest etc.