REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 10-18-2007, 05:37 PM   #76
MoD

Thanked 1,805 Times in 227 Posts
i just turned 18
graduated my high school with decent grades. i was on the honor roll but it doesnt mean much.
applied to all sorts of universities along with my friends and got accepted to most of them. i turned them all down. sitting here now i feel foolish doing so.
im currently trying to decide if i want to go to Justice Institute and become a paramedic for BC ambulance or go to the RCMP academy.
i currently drive my mom van. im hoping to purchase my first car sometime this year. oh, i work full time.
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2007, 03:45 AM   #77
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
23, graduate of the Graphic Design program at AI Vancouver, and I work in the entertainment industry. Lol completely different than what I went to school for.

In the next month I'll be taking my Basic Standards Training and hopefully becoming a security officer or a bouncer for one of the clubs downtown. And yes, I'm female =p So I probably won't get bouncer until the current bouncers lose their jobs because they can't get their BST's mid-2008. And even then, it'll be a stretch because I'm 5'3 and a woman (sadly most of the time it really is a man's world in security).

I'm also trying to get into University to become a teacher. I want to teach kindergarten eventually, but I'm still about 4-6 years away from that.

Haven't accomplished much sadly. But I'm mostly happy with my life, even if my friends have gone on to bigger and better things. I just made new ones! Hehe =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:42 PM   #78
My homepage has been set to RS

Reading all these achievements is definitely motivational for me!

I grew up in a poor family in Hong Kong. When my parents had me, they were in a middle of starting a business, so it was a disaster, my parents were always working, but I wouldn't say I lacked any affection from them. I moved to Canada in 1994, I was 6 at that time. My parents company wasn't doing so well (in Hong Kong) so we were always tight on cash. After we bought the house and a dodge caravan in 1997, we pretty much ran out of cash. I remembered I saw a camera I really wanted and so I begged my mom to buy it, she took out her last 20 dollar bill to buy it for me. I felt really guilty when my mother told me this a few years back.

My Dad's business starts to take off, so I guess we are living the 'good life' now.

I am 19, turning 20 in Dec. I am currently enrolled in Langara College, planning to transfer to SFU after this semster.

I have always been a C/C+ student so going to University straight from High School was not an option.

I am currently jobless, 100% powered by mommy and daddy, I am completely spoiled, lazy and unmotivated. (Hey, at least I am being honest.)

I used to drive a G35 coupe, now a civic, and my next car should be an EVO X.

I know if i keep my lifestyle the way it is now, I will eventually become a useless person. I am more of a dreamer more than a doer; it is a bad habit and I really NEED to shake it off.

I am single and have never dated in my life, but I have plenty of friends to keep me company. I don't really NEED a girlfriend, I don't mind have one either.

I procrastinate way too much.

I am the worst kind, knowing all my flaws yet I am too lazy to get rid of them.

I am glad I typed all these things out, I didn't realize how unmotivated I am before typing this out.

Goals:

1. Get a job
2. Learn how to invest
3. appreciate my parents more
4. Do well in school
5. STOP PROCRASTINATING

Well, time to finish typing up my resume and read about how to invest!

Last edited by Jackygor; 10-19-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #79
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally posted by Jackygor
Reading all these achievements is definitely motivational for me!

I grew up in a poor family in Hong Kong. When my parents had me, they were in a middle of starting a business, so it was a disaster, my parents were always working, but I wouldn't say I lacked any affection from them. I moved to Canada in 1994, I was 6 at that time. My parents company wasn't doing so well (in Hong Kong) so we were always tight on cash. After we bought the house and a dodge caravan in 1997, we pretty much ran out of cash. I remembered I saw a camera I really wanted and so I begged my mom to buy it, she took out her last 20 dollar bill to buy it for me. I felt really guilty when my mother told me this a few years back.

My Dad's business starts to take off, so I guess we are living the 'good life' now.

I am 19, turning 20 in Dec. I am currently enrolled in Langara College, planning to transfer to SFU after this semster.

I have always been a C/C+ student so going to University straight from High School was not an option.

I am currently jobless, 100% powered by mommy and daddy, I am completely spoiled, lazy and unmotivated. (Hey, at least I am being honest.)

I used to drive a G35 coupe, now a civic, and my next car should be an EVO X.

I know if i keep my lifestyle the way it is now, I will eventually become a useless person. I am more of a dreamer more than a doer; it is a bad habit and I really NEED to shake it off.

I am single and have never dated in my life, but I have plenty of friends to keep me company. I don't really NEED a girlfriend, I don't mind have one either.

I procrastinate way too much.

I am the worst kind, knowing all my flaws yet I am too lazy to get rid of them.

I am glad I typed all these things out, I didn't realize how unmotivated I am before typing this out.

Goals:

1. Get a job
2. Learn how to invest
3. appreciate my parents more
4. Do well in school
5. STOP PROCRASTINATING

Well, time to finish typing up my resume and read about how to invest!
writing it out and letting it "smack you in the face" is a great start. I had to do that a few times in order to get my life back on track.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:29 AM   #80
Director of RS Cares

off topic for a second....THERE ARE SO MANY YOUNGENS! k2_alpha and melonboy! NO WAYYY!!!
Old 10-20-2007, 03:35 PM   #81
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Well im 21 years old, graduating this year from Uvic, majoring in urban geography with a minor in film

As of right now i think i might persue doing my lsat next august, so i can apply for law school the following year. I'll take 6 months to work, 6 months to travel, and then hopefully start school when i get back. I always worked at this glass studio for the past 5 summers, which i loved, but i believe its time to move on. Unfortunatly im not a labourer, i more a suit and tie type of guy, so being a lawyer is douable. I have a 92 eagle talon, which hates me and i hate it, and i have some money from my bartmitvah that will go into a downpayment on an apartment hopefully. I went traveling a couple years ago in isreal and just went to australia with my sister, however i havent done the backpacking thing yet which i really want to before i start school again.
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:20 AM   #82
2 Wheel'd Mod

Im 17, graduated from high school and im completely lost in life. No idea what to take, what to do and confused bout everything. I took a semester off so i can work and appreciate school when i go back.
Feels like im the only one cause everyone else has already made plans and stuff. I still dont know what to take in school.

Anyways, thats my situation as of now. Hopefully it'll change soon.
/)__)
-"--"-

http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...hreadid=417820
!oHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:24 AM   #83

when i graduated, i took a whole lot of courses that didn't lead anywhere. i learned a whole lot of interesting things about a wide range of topics, but at no time were any of the courses really leading anywhere even though i thought they were in my mind.

if its any comfort to you, there was a study done that aired on the news a while ago about how necessary a post-secondary degree really is for the higher paying jobs in society. obviously some will require you to have some formal education (lawyer, accountant, etc), but some positions (some types of managment positions etc) are based more on experience and ability than whether or not you have a piece of paper that says "so and so completely this program"
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:45 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally posted by 0000000000
Been a nationally certified millitary music teacher since the age of 15/16. While pursuing my history degree at UBC (in the hopes of becoming a highschool teacher), I realized that at age 23, I've been teaching music & millitary performance for about 8 years - and that I needed a career change. By the time I was 23, I had already:
- created national doctrines
- won multiple awards, titles, and championships with various units I had trained
- created an archetypical organization based on streamlined efficiency
- developed personel who could now operate the organization without my neccesary prescence

On top of that, I had also established an internationally recognized association at UBC, founded & propelled a local RC racing club to nationaly recognized status, developed my body into a sculpted piece of art with a 30 inch waist, and satisfied my hunger for knowledge in the many books & documents I had absorbed through my years as a history major.
quoted for AwESomEneSS, CooLNESs, and EMPHASIS!!!!!
chr1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:10 AM   #85
Banned By Establishment

- UBC BA grad
- packed up and left for Shanghai without any family or friends here
- found a job, but now just waiting to get my work visa (got denied the first time)
- yeah =)
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:50 PM   #86
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally posted by rslater
Well im 21 years old, graduating this year from Uvic, majoring in urban geography with a minor in film

As of right now i think i might persue doing my lsat next august, so i can apply for law school the following year. I'll take 6 months to work, 6 months to travel, and then hopefully start school when i get back. I always worked at this glass studio for the past 5 summers, which i loved, but i believe its time to move on. Unfortunatly im not a labourer, i more a suit and tie type of guy, so being a lawyer is douable. I have a 92 eagle talon, which hates me and i hate it, and i have some money from my bartmitvah that will go into a downpayment on an apartment hopefully. I went traveling a couple years ago in isreal and just went to australia with my sister, however i havent done the backpacking thing yet which i really want to before i start school again.
curious - how much money does one get from a barmitzvah?
leilomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:03 PM   #87
HELP ME PLS!!!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:36 AM   #88
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Haha not that much. I'd say most guys get more than girls (we dont get jewlery), and the amount depends on how many people are invited i guess. Its kinda of like what your parents put in financially into the bart mitzvah, the child gets that amount back somehow. If you spend 30, 000 on the party for example, its a sign of the 'crowd' that your probably inviting, so your son/daughter somehow gets that amount back. But i'd say the avg is $14-20 g's, but having a rich uncle for example can double that amount can etc etc.
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:22 AM   #89
MoD

Thanked 1,805 Times in 227 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by miss_crayon
off topic for a second....THERE ARE SO MANY YOUNGENS! k2_alpha and melonboy! NO WAYYY!!!
i just turned an adult less than a month ago..... lol
Old 10-22-2007, 10:11 PM   #90
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally posted by miss_crayon

soon we will take over revscene jaajaja
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:13 PM   #91
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

just turned 20, going to college in a career program. I was thinking about a career in law enforcement, but now im having second thoughts. I think i can do much better on the pay scale. But thats just where i am at this point of my life, its all about the ca$h. I think some career in public service would be awsome, i know i want to be a front line woker and i kno id do great. However its just where i am right now, i want a job that pays out with money...but im got a feeling as a get a bit older ill change my veiws on life, and presue a job in the serving the public.
a.ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:58 AM   #92
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cman333
Damn when I was 22 I was broke as fuck. I had a stable 6 yr gf was working @ FS making maybe $2500-3000 a month. FInanced a Civic. Was living @ home. I didn't take any post secondary. I'd honestly say you're pretty on track with your age.

Once you hit around 24-25 thats when you're more expected to make more career oriented decisions. Most people 22 are still in school, it's once you're out of school is when shit starts getting hectic.

Anyways, don't let shit discourage you. I know the feeling of not knowing what the fucks going on in life. Try and stay positive and eventually you snap the fuck out of it and life progresses.

broke as fuck making 2500-3000 a month, while living at home?
hows that work exactly. i'd kill to have my rent paid for and have 3k disposable income a month
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:23 AM   #93
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

i know what you mean Cman333.
i was in a very similar situation a few years back.

...im enrolled in school for january. slowly engaging myself into a few UT courses before hitting it full time. pursuing to get my BHK. and when i graduate, ill be in the career field that id love to work in
...and plus since ive been through so much shit, and seen so much shit happen, and lived on my own and all that other crap, i guess i wont be completely lost and freaked out like other people when im done school.
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:34 AM   #94
Blood tests positive for LOL mod

Thanked 1,263 Times in 325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stevenwwjd
i'm 19.
-steady gf for almost 2 years now
-own a car
-bought a new apartment, moving in in 2008 (brentwood gates)
Oh and, get a BMW 6 series.. always wanted one of those.
Are these things you've actually work for or were they handed down to you?
I don't see this being a possiblity unless you start your own buisness right out of highschool and some big company bought you out. Please explain your success then

artofstance
Buy/Sell Rating
Proud member of G.R.A.P.E -- Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

Last edited by Mananetwork; 10-31-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Mananetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:08 PM   #95
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mananetwork
Are these things you've actually work for or were they handed down to you?
I don't see this being a possiblity unless you start your own buisness right out of highschool and some big company bought you out. Please explain your success then
I've built up some equity over the years in highschool mostly consisting of financial investments. Then as time progressed, I found an interest in financial management which triggered me to get my licenses so I can get first-hand experience of everything. Now with my financial management experience, it allowed me to generate more income to pay for the things I want (e.g. car, home). When I say pay, it means I use strategies in order to pay things off over periods of time.. not a huge lump sum to pay it off (In my opinion, that is lost opportunity cost of your money). I also do financial management for families providing understanding and solutions using insurance and investment vehicles.. which results in more income.

For my schooling, luckily my parents were well-educated with money, they started a RESP plan early on. Now, I am enjoying the results of that. As well, the amount is large enough to cover all costs and quite a bit left over for future ventures.

Last edited by stevenwwjd; 10-31-2007 at 05:09 PM.
stevenwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:50 PM   #96
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
I've built up some equity over the years in highschool mostly consisting of financial investments. Then as time progressed, I found an interest in financial management which triggered me to get my licenses so I can get first-hand experience of everything. Now with my financial management experience, it allowed me to generate more income to pay for the things I want (e.g. car, home). When I say pay, it means I use strategies in order to pay things off over periods of time.. not a huge lump sum to pay it off (In my opinion, that is lost opportunity cost of your money). I also do financial management for families providing understanding and solutions using insurance and investment vehicles.. which results in more income.

For my schooling, luckily my parents were well-educated with money, they started a RESP plan early on. Now, I am enjoying the results of that. As well, the amount is large enough to cover all costs and quite a bit left over for future ventures.

I'm sorry, but this is a bunch of b.s. What you are essentially trying to say is that you are paying off your BMW 6-Series and condo from cash inflows from equity you built up in HS. Car leases/finances and a mortgage require constant monthly cash outflows, whereas equity/insurance investment cash inflows are sporadic with uncertain returns. There is no way you could match cash inflows and outflows, so precisely every month and I seriously doubt someone your age could build up the type of equity to pay off a mortgage and a 6-Series BMW. BTW, no leverage is possible because banks don't loan money to people who don't have a steady proof of income.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #97
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally posted by Marco911
I'm sorry, but this is a bunch of b.s. What you are essentially trying to say is that you are paying off your BMW 6-Series and condo from cash inflows from equity you built up in HS. Car leases/finances and a mortgage require constant monthly cash outflows, whereas equity/insurance investment cash inflows are sporadic with uncertain returns. There is no way you could match cash inflows and outflows, so precisely every month and I seriously doubt someone your age could build up the type of equity to pay off a mortgage and a 6-Series BMW. BTW, no leverage is possible because banks don't loan money to people who don't have a steady proof of income.
I said I want a BMW 6-series.. thats a goal. Not what I own. And as for steady proof of income, how do you know I do not have a steady proof of income? Essentially, banks look at assets and your net worth. Not just your income.
stevenwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #98

^^Ok, my bad, I must have misinterpreted the Engrish.

I doubt that banks are going to give a mortgage to a 19 year old. As for assets and net worth, you would not have accumulated any substantial amount by 19 unless they came as gifts or inheritance, which is the point manetwork was making. As for steady proof of income, I'm sure a lot of families appreciate the advice from a 19 year old without any financial designations.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:49 PM   #99
PNF

Quote:
I said I want a BMW 6-series.. thats a goal. Not what I own. And as for steady proof of income, how do you know I do not have a steady proof of income? Essentially, banks look at assets and your net worth. Not just your income.
I'm sorry, but you speak like a kid who just googled everything for an answer, which is fine. At least you try.

Sure banks look at assets and your net worth. So, are you saying that you get your loans approved because you are a high net-worth person? at age of, say 18? I dont know... it is possible, but you still havent exactly explained how.

I really dont need/want the details, but at least a simple glimpse of how that is possible. Then, I can make some inferences on my own. We're not looking for propreitories here. Just some simple example explainations.

financial management licenses? such as? The youngest ever CFA I know of is 28 years old with 5 years of industry experience and completing all 3 levels before he grad from NYU. Sure, I guess there are maybe 25 years old, but you're 19 did you say? No matter how I cut it, you're not there.

OR are you talking about some types of securities licensing? At least from here, you need a sponsorship from a financial institutions to take those exams, such as Series, 6, 7, or 26, just the more common ones.

Anyhow, yea, the one possibility I can think of, which is very possible that you have started a company (usually tech) and then it got really big and stupid microsoft bought you off?

I dont know.

But good for you though to have all that at 19. I, for one, had no idea what I was doing when I was 19.

Where All Lusts began....

08' AW E92 335i a few mods.....

01' SBM IS300 - Stock. Still running strong after 9+ years and 235k+ kms!!!
PNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #100

He has no assets - his apt is owned by the bank (I bet his parents co-signed).

If you default, the bank is not going to go after you, they'll go after your parents. It's the equivalent of them buying you the condo.