REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 09-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

where are you in life? (serious discussion)

i tried posting it in the vancouver off topic, but not being in prison wasnt entirely what i was looking for. so here it is now.

at the age of ~22, where are you in life? what have you accomplished? what are your dreams and ambitions? how close/far are you with your goals in life?

im just doing a lot of self evaluations these days since ive got a lot of free time.
so, ill start off...

im 22. was going to school, enrolled in a program. worked part/full time. went through hell and back with life changing events that cant be reversed. still trying to get back on my feet with rehab, and positive thinking.
all i want right now is to recover from the "fall". get back on my feet with school. graduate. have a good career. and hopefully the rest will come from there.
accomplishments? havent really accomplished anything in terms of academics. but more of self accomplishments.
im currently not working or schooling because rehabilitation is pretty much my full time job kinda thing.

i just wanna know what everyone else is up to at this age.
and if im doing really bad, in terms of falling back behind everyone else around my age group.
Advertisement
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
-mid 20s, steady gf for 2 years sort of
-beginning my career path although i'm a young grasshopper, i'm hoping to get up the corp ladder faster
-bought an apartment for rent and really ain't enjoying it since i'm stuck at home.. (yes it's a long term investment but it still sucks)
-my car has been running for 9 years and need a new car now
-at a stage where my mortgage is slowly taking over my life
-family is breaking apart and i'm glue of the family hence i'm staying home hoping my family will beback together.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

In prison.
babykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Honestly man, do you really want to know what we're doing?
Or are you looking for guidance in your own life?

Not that it matters, I just wanted to ask.....

Anyway, it sounds like you hit a speedbump in the form of drugs/alcohol. First priority is to clean yourself up, and actively promote that you will never touch your poison again. That's the first step, and a good foundation to base your new life on.

Aside from that, why do you need an education to be successful?
It sounds like you're falling into the whole "I need to follow someone else's path" concept, maybe making your family happy?

Why not try a trade?
There's nothing wrong with being a plumber or electrician, and as far as money is concerned, these guys make a killing.

there is no "falling behind" when it comes to growing up, it's different for everyone. For example, I know dudes who are 30 and still live at home. You need to find your own way, by finding something you enjoy doing and focussing your time on that.

If I was you, I'd get your arse cleaned up, then look for work in the trades. Something that at the end of the day, you can look at what you've accomplished and feel a sense of pride.

But most of all, get cleaned up.
Being drunk or high is like building your house on mud. One day, everything you've built will sink, and you'll be left with nothing.

Good luck.

Last edited by originalhypa; 09-18-2007 at 01:27 PM.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #5

haha rehab dosent always mean drugs/alcohol. im in not going through rehab for any of those.

im curious to know what people in my age group are at in their life. and maybe a little guidance wouldnt be so bad either.

trades isnt exactly my kinda thing. anyone who gets to know me for more than 30mins could be able to tell you that.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
At 22 I hadn't really done anything with my life not that I'm some role model now. Hypa said it best, people mature at different ages. It's never to late to turn your life around or get on the right trail however the longer you wait to find that trail the further behind you will be.

Find something that makes you happy and hope you can make a living do that. If not you'll have to find something that makes you money but maybe isn't your dream job. Thats sort of where I'm at, my family is priority number one so I do what I need to do in order to support it.

I'm 31 years young going on 20.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

everyone is different but you always want to see where you're at compare to other people you know, so i know where nvasion is coming from.

but again, everyone matures and get a career at different ages, so if you put your effort into something, you will succeed.

Sometimes things happen for a reason, you just work hard and everything will fall into places. I was pursuing a career that i "thought" i really liked, but end up doing totally different. I just turned 23 and still trying to climb up the corporate ladder. Age is just a number. As long as you're happy doing what ur doing, happy with the income you're generating and the lifestyle that you're living, then who cares...
nammerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by nammerstar
everyone is different but you always want to see where you're at compare to other people you know, so i know where nvasion is coming from.
this is what im looking for interms of making this thread.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:53 PM   #9

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Thirty one years old and I work in the construction industry as a project coordinator. I work with my dad and it's something I've been doing at least part time since I was 14 years old, started by picking up scrap. Took some different courses as far as schooling goes after graduation but quit after getting a Diploma. When i got that far I realized it wasn't leading me anywhere so I went to work full time with my dad. I've since taken more schooling related to the job I do right now.

I'm married and have one kid and a townhouse which is for sale at the moment, check out the real estate buy sell forum if your interested. When it sells I'm buying a house. I spend almost every night of my mundane life at home with my family which isn't all bad but it's not really that exciting.

That more of what your looking for?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 09-18-2007 at 02:55 PM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #10
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nvasion
this is what im looking for interms of making this thread.
fair enough.
At 19 I had no clue what to do with life.
I was busy getting drunk and stoned, and working in fast food restaurants, while wasting my time in college. Basically, I was a highly educated bum. That is, until I got my first job in sales.

At 22 I had worked for 3 years in sales, and was finally starting to see some good money. Unfortunately, I was fired from that job for conflict of interest. That, and I fxxked the purchaser.

Fast forward to 23, and I had a new opportunity in sales with a plastics company. Still, I didn't care about the future, all I wanted was a fast, sexy car, and to hang with fast, sexy women.

Life changed for the better when I hit 25 and got married to a great girl. Later that year we had our first child, and that's when life started to make sense. Life finally had meaning, aside from meeting my selfish needs. I can't emphasize enough how much that changed my life for the better. It stabilized me enough to allow me to focus on the things that mattered, namely my family, and making money to give them the nice things in life.

Now I'm 31, with a wife and 3 kids.
I have 2 houses, 4 cars, a dog, plus I'm self employed and overall I'd say life is good. Sure, I spend my weekend like Quasi, at home with the kids watching Finding Nemo, or some other Pixar film, and you know, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I'll say it again.
Find something you like to do, and focus on that.

Aside from what I wrote, there isn't anything more I can tell you without knowing who you are, and what you like. If you remember, I tried that before and you shot me down.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #11

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
At 22, I got my first full time career job in accounting, after quitting some stupid job that thought it was ok to still pay $10/hr after one year of part time service. But I was stuck because I was addicted to world of warcraft, lost all my ambitions, friendships faded.

23 now and I've stopped playing WoW, started hitting the gym again to rebuild what I had and get back into old, healthier interests. I'm tired of my job now though, lack of new things, not enough money, perhaps it's time to find something new. I envision myself being a business owner someday because I want something more hands on and challenging, but I'm not really an out and out leader (to say the least). Oh well, I'll make it work somehow.

Last edited by RacePace; 09-18-2007 at 03:32 PM.
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #12
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

im 28y/o 5'2 and 238lbs
only had 1 girlfriend in my life
work at a video store
drive an 82 accord

my life is great
Old 09-18-2007, 04:28 PM   #13
Rotary dori dori MOD

well...19...went through some hardship and keepin myself busy. still in university and plowing through books, makin some good money, made alot of new friends recently...basically picked myself up. became an entirely new person in a sense haha. saw some ppl i haven't seen in awhile and they all think i changed drstically in the last couple months...point being...only goal right now is to enjoy life and get my ass through university.

!Shuya80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #14
Need to Seek Professional Help

22 is young but it's also the age you start to get anxious about the future.

At 22, I was finishing up university and planning my travels (after Quasi helped me find my stolen CRX near a crack-shack in surrey). 3 years of working and traveling later, I'm home living with my aussie gf ( met in Paris) renting my parent's basement suite. I'm happy where I am and excited about the future.

Between my gf and I, we've spent 100k on travel. That stage of our lives is behind us and we're looking to the future and both have started careers and know that extended traveling is in our past.

The point is you're young. Choose a path that makes you happy and pursue it to your fullest abilities. While I'm learning that the ordinary life has its rewards, I wouldn't recommending getting there too quickly.
Wrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #15
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

I'm not really sure what you're looking for, but here goes.

I graduated from UBC in 2005 with a BA in Psychology and English Lit. I also took the co-op program, so I got some real world work experience as well. Took a few months off before grabbing my first writing job. Didn't like it there (5 months) and quit.

Since then, I have started my own freelance writing business (link in my sig) and I currently write for a number of mostly technology-minded websites. I'm self-employed, but it's like having multiple bosses in a sense. I'm 24 and will be 25 next month. And yes, I'm still living at home.
Rhetorical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #16
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
my life is all about numbers numbers numbers..

High school: aiming 80% average, aiming to get 300 icq contact, aiming to have 10 different gf, aiming to save $3000

Post sec: aiming a 3.0 GPA, aiming to tune my car to 230hp, aiming to build a powerful PC that can score certain pts in 3Dmark, aiming to save $7500 to buy a bike, aiming to make the 10000th post on RS.

Post grad: every morning...stock market...and aiming my first 1 million
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:29 PM   #17
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

i'm 23 (in nov)
-asian
-live at home
-finished my undergrad
-worked at a restaurant (from dish boy->prep->banquet cook->linecook-> assistant kitchen manager).. while taking p/t classes
-left the hospitality industry, and found an hr administrator job + taking night classes
-currently working as a hr generalist for a software firm
-finishing off my CHRP in oct
-writing my GMAT early next year

-sold my gti, and bought an older car to get from point a-b... been consistantly saving over 70%+ wiof all my pay cheques..

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:31 PM   #18

on a side note.. i've been teaching piano/tutoring physics,chem,math,calculus 12 on the side

Old 09-18-2007, 07:32 PM   #19

oh, and as at yesterday i'm 5.8 157lbs with a bmi of 23 and 7% body fat.. (was around 180lbs with embarassing bmi and BF% back in xmas 06)

Old 09-18-2007, 07:33 PM   #20
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I would have enuff money to go traveling and wat not with my position at my company, but unfortunately I work to support my family, gotta pay the mortgage, car bills, my hockey, and all the rest of the house bills. Me and my sister both pay these as my parents retired and we were really poor growing up and recently bought our first house. 2000 bux a month going into mortgage excluding all the other bills really hurts.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:06 PM   #21

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
I feel like I knows yous guys already
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:31 PM   #22
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I'm 21 graduated from the BCIT -> Marketing Management -> E-Ship (graded with a diploma). Going for my BBA part-time and considering getting my CA afterwards and MBA.

Be4 going to BCIT I work in a restaurant as a manager and now after grading I work as Marketing Associate at a technology transfer office. I really enjoy my job because I get to meet people like John MacDonald, Wynne Powell, and Haig Farris and network with really interesting people.

I still live at home with my parents because I want to eventually goto school full-time again and plan to move out when I save enough for a down payment for a house .

Last edited by fo_shizzled; 09-23-2007 at 09:23 AM.
fo_shizzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:42 PM   #23
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
at 22, some guy named jason introduced himself saying he wanted to start up a car club... then soon after, his sis (friend of mine) asked me to help out with some of the business end of things... hahaha

at 22, i had no clue where i was going, all i knew was i wanted to do something with my life... my first attempt at the financial world was a slap in the face cuz i had an idea but was too young to represent it... =/

where i sit now, i feel i should be farther in life, but im not too complaining where im at either...

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #24
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I'm 22 and attending school full time at Langara. I'm in the RN nursing program. Before I was at SFU, I didn't know what the hell I was doing. After traveling around Asia for a couple weeks when I was 20, I realized I wanted to help people hence the career choice. I still live at home.
Right now I'm in stage of just enjoying life, partying, meeting girls, having fun and trying to finishing off school. I don't work right now cause want to be focus and finish school.
On the side I dj small little gigs. My Future goal is to have a dj residency at a downtown club.
djromanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:50 PM   #25
Circle Stick Square Mod

I'm 19, living with the parents 5"11 180 pounds

i had a 240sx but i sold it.
i take the bus/skytrain to school at VCC
taking the automotive course
worked at Revs Bowling, and Playland as a Ride attendant.

planning to finish this course, get into the trade and get my red seal certificate

91 240sx (Sold)
86 FC3S (Sold)
99 Civic

!Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote