REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 05-07-2016, 07:21 AM   #6876
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
Truthfully the only way I'm going to go out of my way to say something bad is if it was genuinely terrible.
Like something to do with the menu that was absolute lies, or the service was actually really rude. Just because I'm in the industry, I don't want to act like I'm an authority on what people should like.
That said, I don't often have bad restaurant experiences because I am very picky about where I go.
I used to bitch all the time about when I went out but after a while I thought, how do I feel when people say this about me?
I've read some bad reviews since I've been a chef. Thankfully not many. A few have been legitimate, but some point out mistakes and I've learned from them. Some are insulting and rude and make me want to strangle people. Then there are some that are literally just lies posted by people that were rude as fuck and were treated as such. Its funny when you read bad reviews and you know who it was.
If you want 2 good sites to read with reviews, open table and trip advisor are the most reasonable.
Zomato and yelp are used by people who's sole desire in life is to complain.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #6877
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
+1

I won't slag a place unless it was horrendous. I get that you can't please everyone, no matter what line of work it is, or what someone does, but it goes a long way when people try, or at least make a meaningful effort.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:04 AM   #6878
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2016, 05:34 PM   #6879
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Truthfully the only way I'm going to go out of my way to say something bad is if it was genuinely terrible.
Like something to do with the menu that was absolute lies, or the service was actually really rude. Just because I'm in the industry, I don't want to act like I'm an authority on what people should like.
That said, I don't often have bad restaurant experiences because I am very picky about where I go.
I used to bitch all the time about when I went out but after a while I thought, how do I feel when people say this about me?
I've read some bad reviews since I've been a chef. Thankfully not many. A few have been legitimate, but some point out mistakes and I've learned from them. Some are insulting and rude and make me want to strangle people. Then there are some that are literally just lies posted by people that were rude as fuck and were treated as such. Its funny when you read bad reviews and you know who it was.
If you want 2 good sites to read with reviews, open table and trip advisor are the most reasonable.
Bang on, I feel that way as well. Being in the industry I eat out a lot and I often recommend other places if I really do think it's good, but some people tend to think I'm biased if I say a place is just 'meh' so I usually won't comment on a place unless it was ridiculously bad.

I've seen reviews pop up for my place and I know who it is, they straight up lie and put us down simply because I didn't meet there "Customer is ALWAYS right" demands.

One example that happened not too long ago, customer lets her seafood noodle sit on the table for at least 45 minutes while she chats with her friend. Then she takes a bite, waves over the waitress and tells us to make a new one because it's cold. I told her I can't make a new one for obvious reasons however we can warm it up with a quick toss on the pan, she goes on a tirade about shitty food and how she's going to write online reviews on us.
So I find the review and in it there's like half a dozen lies about how we refused to cancel her noodle because she ordered vegetable udon but found seafood and has a shellfish allergy. Then continued on insulting me about how I was rude and useless.
Some people make me want to falcon punch them in the pelvic area...
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #6880
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Jambo Grill

Got the special mothers day platter, kuku poissin, chicken pakora, gulab jambo for dessert.

The quality of this place has slightly gone down, portions are smaller than before, still tasted good, but not as we expected.

They increased the price of everything on the menu by about 2 dollars average. Came out to just under 70 dollars.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:31 PM   #6881
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
The Wooden Spoon Co

A brunch place in White Rock.
The price is a bit on the high side and portion a bit smaller than what I'm used to for brunch, but taste was great!

The short-rib Benedict was pretty good, although I'd prefer a bit more sauce a stronger flavor.

Wife had the Smoked salmon croissant and it taste great too. But for $15, I'd expect more than a thin slice of smoked salmon.

Overall, 4/5
Old 05-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #6882
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
My old boss and a friend own that place. Glad to hear it was enjoyable.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:38 PM   #6883
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Icecream at Rain or Shine. Peanut butter ice cream brings back childhood memories.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:31 PM   #6884
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Milltown bar. Had the prime rib special on sunday. For $14 I give it a 8/10.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:02 AM   #6885
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

been so long since the last time i went to congee noodle house on main and broadway i was gonna go today around 130 am but it was closed. anybody know whatsup?
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:32 AM   #6886
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guurl View Post
been so long since the last time i went to congee noodle house on main and broadway i was gonna go today around 130 am but it was closed. anybody know whatsup?
Not sure I know what's up, but may be this will help.

Hours:
Monday 8:30AM–1AM
Tuesday 8:30AM–1AM
Wednesday 8:30AM–1AM
Thursday 8:30AM–1AM
Friday 8:30AM–2AM
Saturday 8:30AM–2AM
Sunday 8:30AM–1AM

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:07 PM   #6887
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:58 AM   #6888
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Guys where is a good place for Sat brunch in Richmond? Cuisine doesn't matter and budget probably not too expensive.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:58 AM   #6889

dim sum at almost anywhere
Old 05-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #6890
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
Bob likes thai food on Main street.

Not really hole in the wall but definitely not a stand out place with fancy decorations like Banana leaf or thai house.

very unique items: Not going to talk about pad thai, go try yourself.

BEEF SALAD: Beef marinated in fresh lime juice and chili with cilantro, roasted rice, tomato, cucumber and onion

A bit westernized dish (doesn't usually come with tomato) but they still had the roasted rice. Very unique in texture. I wouldn't know it was roasted rice unless someone told me. Would be EPIC if the beef was grilled / bbq.

*MIANG KHAM (6 bites)

Is a traditional snack from Thailand and Laos, Miang originated in Northern Thailand near the border with Myanmar. The name can be interpreted as meaning ‘eating many things in one bite’ Piper sarmentosum or chaphlu leaf, roasted coconut shavings, lime, shallot, peanut, ginger and fresh chili (optional) with Tamarind Palm Sugar sauce.

This was super unique. Yes, i went all out. You eat the chaphlu leaf with it and it's explosion of flavors. Not that pleasing in presentation esp. when it's put in a tea cup. Nonetheless, not something you're going to order at the thai house. Interesting dish.

LYCHEE WRAPPED BACON AND PINEAPPLE
( 6 )

Enough said. You only get 3. I had to order this just for the sake of it. A cute little appetizer; $6 bucks for 3 so in a way it wasn't that filling.

BOB’S POUTINE
( 12 )
Originated in Rural Quebec,Canada in the late 1950’s. But Bob did it his way... Deep fried thin sliced Taro root, topped with lemongrass, lime leaf, deep fried Tofu, chili and green curry sauce...

This was pretty cool, it's fried thin sliced Taro root, very unique, crispy with bold flavors. SUPER enjoyable when you sip down a glass of thai ice tea with it.

all in all, small joint, unique experience on the small dishes. yes they have pad thai, and I do taste the tamarind paste. I enjoyed the unique dishes. 8/10.
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:44 AM   #6891
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
Nightingale

It's the new hawksworth restaurant they opened. amazing decor and quite a big place. Everything is family style so you'll need to order a bunch of stuff in order to get full.

4 people, bill came to 230 + tip, which was legit. The portions are small yet packed full of flavor.

Spring vegetable crudité, charred scallion dip, romesco 12
this is really just a few carrots and veggies in a mason jar; pinterest worthy, but not worth 12 bucks.

Beef heart tartare, cured egg yolk, horseradish, kale pistou, grilled bread 13
Pretty legit dish, they do put a lot of efforts on this. I couldn't taste beef heart.

Oven roasted cauliflower, sunflower seeds, green harissa
Very flavourful dish, oven roasted to perfection and the green harissa was a great touch.

Grilled king oyster mushrooms, marjoram, serrano, pecorino, lemon
I couldn't believe you only get 5 pieces of oyster mushroom but damn they were so juicy.

Spicy sopressata, san marzano, fior di latte 18
This was the only dish with nothing to rave about.

Pacific octopus, blistered caper, parsley, fermented chili, vinegar 19
extremely tender, the flavors were amazing.

Squid ink campanelle, humpback prawns, green garlic, pickled celery, pepperoncino 22
this was interesting. prawns were small but done realy well. the dish has a tang to it and it was light.
Grilled pork belly, nectarine, white balsamic, pistachio 25
This was done really really well. Yes it's pork belly, yes there's strips of fat but it was so buttery with 6 pieces, totally epic.

Charred lamb chops, red harissa, charmoula, wild rice dukkah 22
only 3 pieces; would definitely recommend.

Salted caramel pot de crème, whipped crème fraiche, butterscotch, vanilla breton
It's border line like pudding with a much more creamier texture. Wish they had a bigger POW of salted caramel.

Meyer lemon tart, raspberry, almond wafer
this was a joke, not even worthy at all. It wasn't tart and had minimal lemon flavor.

Hazelnut financier, soft praline, whipped espresso crème
This was much better than expected, definitely better than the tart.

Would really go back again. It has a great decor and a great way to try many dishes. 9/10
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #6892
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
So I am going to Paris in 2 weeks, and would like recommendations on a high-end michelin star place to do lunch at for their typically more affordable lunch menus.

Guy Savoy was my first choice but they are closed the week I am there.

Arpege was an option but I am afraid the vegetarian-focused cuisine may leave me disappointed.

Tour D'argent perhaps just for the history... But do they have a dress code? (would dark jeans, casual boots and sweater suffice, or does it require a jacket?)

Other recommendations?
I'm probably too late and saw it mentioned earlier in this thread, but I really enjoyed Le Cinq when I went recently. IMO, it was the best meal I've ever had in my life.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:38 PM   #6893

Kyuzo Sushi 7/10

Had the the ordered the gyu tan and beef enoki skewers. Slightly less flavourful than the ones at Manzo but its still good (can't really go wrong with bbq beef tbh)
Oyster motoyaki was good. Not exactly to my liking, again prefer Manzo'd over this.
Tried their Otoro nigiri which was $18. Better than the ones I had at Maumi, Octopus Garden and Seto, but fell short of Taka's when Taka San was still here. At $18 definitely not worth it. But rather have 2 mediocre pieces from Taka's disciples at $7.5 each than paying $18 for this, especially when everywhere else charges $12/pc at the most. Was not exactly worth the $6 premium.

Had the Wagyu nigiri which was really good, but again, for $15/pc, I'd rather go somewhere else like Octopus Garden ($12), or mediocre ones from Taka's disciples at $6.5 each.

Had the seared Engawa($4.5) which was too over seared. It's not supposed to melt before it gets into my mouth!

Beef Parmesan Roll was good.

Salmon oshi knockoffs were not good.

Albacore Toro nigiri($3.5) was frozen.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #6894
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
hongdae cafe on robson

9/10

just order the poutine for $12 or $13 and share it amongst friends.

BIGGGG plate shared with 3-6 friends and get some soju

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #6895
God of Unce

Any news where Taka San went?
Old 05-19-2016, 08:10 AM   #6896

Retired and in Japan apparently.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:48 PM   #6897
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
https://www.yelp.ca/biz/wangs-shangh...sine-vancouver

Wang's Shanghai Cuisine. Used to be in Crystal Mall but now next to the London Drugs on Kingsway.

8/10 - XLB is big and juicy. Rice cake is fresh, not too salty. Beef rolls have just the right amount of beef in them (not too much) though the wrap could have been crispier.

Would eat again.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #6898
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by guurl View Post
Now i'm craving their BBQ Duck.
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:51 PM   #6899

^How does it compare to places that's specializes in bbq like HK BBQ Master at its prime, or Parker Place (Aberdeen) BBQ?

Reason why I'm asking is HK BBQ Master has gone to shit so I'm looking for a new joint
Old 05-25-2016, 11:13 PM   #6900
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts
I was at whistler for the long weekend and hit up rim rock.
they're doing a 3 course menu for 49.
insane deal.
i added 10 bucks for the foie add-on.

Scallops and Pork Belly

Lobster with Scallops

Duck Two ways confit and sear duck breast

IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote