REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 08-27-2019, 09:34 PM   #8126
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Without coming off as being sarcastic, would you care to share with us how steak should be and an example of an establishment that doesn't cook steak like an old steakhouse? Please enlighten us. Thank you.
just comparing to steakhouses I went in Vegas, the filet and New york strip @ hy's just tasted burnt and bland, very little seasoning

there wasn't a WOW factor compared to other establishments.

comparing the steak price to other restaurants, there are just better options.
Advertisement

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:47 AM   #8127
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Other options globally or within Vancouver?
Old 08-28-2019, 10:21 AM   #8128
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
I'll chime in on the steak.

It is the shittest thing to cook in a restaurant, from the different cuts to variety of "doneness", I was told its the #1 most sent back item in a restaurant. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's my take; 4 things. Grade, age, seasoning & cooking method.

Not going to talk about grade and doneness. Let's assume it's the same grade and both are medium rare.

Aging

It makes a HUGE difference. It is to intensify flavor and improve the tenderness of the cut. I've seen / heard of wet aging (vacuum pack + age in its own juices.). Dry again is best and it does make as huge difference in flavor.

Cooking method.

There are 2 main ways I see, grill / cast iron pan. Restaurant versus home cook. I enjoy cast iron the best.

There is actually 3rd type, sous vide. I was told in a hotel / wedding reception, when you have 400 people, you literally don't have the space. What they do is sous vide and flash fire the steak.

Lastly, is seasoning.
Blah blah blah, a good cut = just sea salt + pepper.

I like it when they put in a good garlic & signature spice. To top it off, some places put on a quick marinade/liquid sauce or a slab of homemade butter

All in all:
Cast iron + signature spice + flavored garlic butter + dry aged beef is what my go to.

There are times when you do CUT into a steak, you make the "OMG" sound.

2 most memorable OMG sounds I've made a) a well done steak b) japanese Omakase in Osaka.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2019, 10:55 AM   #8129
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
I’d say generally people are idiots when it comes to meat and they don’t know what they are asking for. Then they go to any half decent place that can cook a proper steak and when it comes out the way they asked it’s not what they expected.

I’ve had great steaks at Hy’s, I’ve also had bad ones. Gotham on the other hand every experience I’ve had there has been garbage.

As said above, if I want a great steak I’ll probably cook it myself in cast iron. People who say omg!! Best steak done on the bbq!! Dun know nuttin

It literally grinds at my soul when I hear some clown get a burger or somthing and is hesitant to eat or wants to send it back because it’s the slightest bit punk
Old 08-28-2019, 12:40 PM   #8130
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
just comparing to steakhouses I went in Vegas, the filet and New york strip @ hy's just tasted burnt and bland, very little seasoning

there wasn't a WOW factor compared to other establishments.

comparing the steak price to other restaurants, there are just better options.
I am of the opinion that it is not realistic to use Las Vegas as a benchmark for quality of steak, or food in general. I'm not sure what kind of a wow factor there is when it comes to eating steak. It tastes great, or it doesn't.

Did you provide any feedback to the manager about your experience? If you feel so strongly that you were wronged in your dining experience, I feel that it would be fair to at least give them feedback. If you ate the whole thing and didn't say anything, then I'm afraid you have no real recourse, but at least give a chance to the restaurant an opportunity to act on the feedback.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:10 AM   #8131

If you think Hy's is bad then you must've not gone to Black+Blue. Went there no more than 5 times and each and every time its overcooked and bland. The one time I ordered Beef wellington and they tell me the steak has to be well done. WTF??!! Even the people I was with who aren't foodies said Black +Blue was terrible.

My go to for a steak

Proper crust+good seasoning+melt in your mouth+flavoured freshmade butter

Best steak I ever had, bone-in Filet Mignon at Joes Seafood in Ceasers Palace.
Hit all of my criterias
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2019, 12:21 AM   #8132
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

anyone try the new Chinese restaurant "New Mandarin" on Kingsway beside the new T&T supermarket ?
tru_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:17 PM   #8133
RS Veteran

I've only ever had dim sum there once. It was not bad, but damn, was it expensive.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 09-11-2019, 08:22 PM   #8134
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru_blue View Post
anyone try the new Chinese restaurant "New Mandarin" on Kingsway beside the new T&T supermarket ?
Had dinner there. Hella expensive. Talking about $50 for a dish of organic broccoli and $80 for free range chicken with a smear of "truffle" on a side plate. Dinner did not satisfy on so many levels.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2019, 12:06 AM   #8135
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru_blue View Post
Tried dim sum the other day just feels like some East Side joint pretending to be something they are not. A little try hard on some dishes being super fancy. Food was not good.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #8136
RS Veteran

Word on the street is that the original chef from Fortune Terrace in Richmond left, and started this restaurant, hence the massive screen on the wall, and the wannabe fancy food.

I wished that they could just be a bit more authentic, catering to the local East Van crowd, and reflect that in their prices, I'd be willing to go back a bit more. When I walked into the place for the first time, I couldn't help but wonder if this was a trap or not.

This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2019, 08:23 PM   #8137
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Bordertown Mexican Grill in Blaine on Peace Portal (next to the chevron)

$8 USD for a plate of 3 (soft) tacos, beans and rice. I got double the rice, skipped the beans. You know how typically the rice pales, compared to the tacos (or mains)?

Well with this, the rice was a solid 5/5, while the tacos was a 3/5. Nothing amazing on the tacos. But the rice, oh man
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2019, 10:10 PM   #8138

Atlas steak and seafood at Grand Villa Hotel. 8/10

Had the Tomahawk steak and was told it would be good for 4-5 people. True if everyone has 2 small slices and ordered 3-4 sides with tableside bread which was the case for us. I'd say it was more for 2-3 people with a couple sides. Service was kind of slow for a Friday night as it took 30 minutes to get our drinks. I'd say the food is the saving grace here otherwise I would've rated this place a 6/10.

Tomahawk was cooked to a perfect medium rare, good crust/char and seasoning but it also took 45 minutes due to their cooking style and the size of the steak. The table side bread with Blue cheese butter was extremely tasty, grilled squid was tender and flavorful. Tomahawk pork chop was tender juicy with a good crust/char.

Despite the slow service I would actually come back again. 8/10
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #8139
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Bordertown Mexican Grill in Blaine on Peace Portal (next to the chevron)

$8 USD for a plate of 3 (soft) tacos, beans and rice. I got double the rice, skipped the beans. You know how typically the rice pales, compared to the tacos (or mains)?

Well with this, the rice was a solid 5/5, while the tacos was a 3/5. Nothing amazing on the tacos. But the rice, oh man
Not a sit down place, but check this food truck out instead for mexican next time in Blaine.
https://www.yelp.ca/biz/el-noa-noa-taco-truck-blaine
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #8140

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Bean Banh Mi on 1198 Kingsway. Great little Viet Sub shop, taste great, super affordable. 8/10 for a fast quick inexpensive lunch. They bake their own bread, a mom and son enterprise.

https://www.instagram.com/beanbanhmi/?hl=en
So i finally went there & the one beside it.

Bean Banh Mi is definitely cleaner, nicer and welcoming place. Their buns wasn't as crispy as I liked, I did like the pig ears as they were super generous.

If I had to sit down, I'll go here; if I was to go do take out, I'll still go to the mom and pop shot right next door.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #8141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expresso View Post
Not a sit down place, but check this food truck out instead for mexican next time in Blaine.

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/el-noa-noa-taco-truck-blaine
This is the same place. They moved next to Starbucks, it's called Bordertown Mexican Grill now

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #8142

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
So i finally went there & the one beside it.

Bean Banh Mi is definitely cleaner, nicer and welcoming place. Their buns wasn't as crispy as I liked, I did like the pig ears as they were super generous.

If I had to sit down, I'll go here; if I was to go do take out, I'll still go to the mom and pop shot right next door.
The one beside it has this nasty odour as soon as you walk in. I can't even order and take out from there 🙁.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:17 PM   #8143
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,040 Times in 2,076 Posts
Can’t beat Paso Del Norte’s tortilla soup in Blaine. Margarita Monday’s are a good day to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:05 PM   #8144
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Dave Chang opening up a Momofuku Noodle Bar in Vancouver next year at Vancouver House.

Either gonna be packed, or people will realize the buns and ramen are nothing special and way overpriced.

I went to Kojin in Toronto last month, that was pretty solid. Nice 45-day dry aged strip loin, caviar fried chicken.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:10 PM   #8145

Joe Fortes 5/10

Not sure what's the hype about this place. Steak was overdone, I asked for medium rare and they gave me well done. Having eaten steak everyday for 3 months, I'm pretty sure I have a really good idea of what medium rare is. Ironically, the steak tasted better after I blasted it in the microwave.

Oysters were alright, not their usual standard apparently. I'm not sure cause I don't eat seafood. Beef carpaccio was alright.

Drinks were very good. But not sure if they were high quality drinks or if I accidentally drugged myself, since I need to take allergy meds when I could potentially eat seafood LOL.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #8146
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Joe Fortes 5/10

Not sure what's the hype about this place. Steak was overdone, I asked for medium rare and they gave me well done. Having eaten steak everyday for 3 months, I'm pretty sure I have a really good idea of what medium rare is. Ironically, the steak tasted better after I blasted it in the microwave.

Oysters were alright, not their usual standard apparently. I'm not sure cause I don't eat seafood. Beef carpaccio was alright.

Drinks were very good. But not sure if they were high quality drinks or if I accidentally drugged myself, since I need to take allergy meds when I could potentially eat seafood LOL.
Liquid_o2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #8147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
It was rough. I did keto for like 3 months. It works but dear lord, a dishwasher would have been nice

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2021, 07:03 AM   #8148
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
With the recent lockdowns impacting restaurants while they're down, thought I'd bump up this thread to share some of my locally owned favourites in hopes to get others to support them.

Would love to see other people share their local favs as well!

Cocoru chicken - great Korean fried chicken in Richmond

Say Mercy / Mackenzie Room - sister restaurants with amazingly unique and delicious menus.

Britannia brewing - great gastropub in Stevenson whith solid beers

Boy with a knife - open weekdays only, hidden gem in an industrial area of Richmond for burgers sandwiches and salads

Superflux brewing - love their beers

Gringo - hole in the wall in blood alley. Unfortunately not open with the lockdowns, but support them regardless when they re-open. Amazing chill vibes.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2021, 01:08 PM   #8149
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Been hitting Bells & Whistle lately on Fraser after someone told me it was kid friendly (I have a 2 year old) and it's not just kid friendly but the food is great. The Royale with Cheese burger is like a Shake Shack burger combined with a Big Mac - crispy patties with American cheese and secret sauce that makes it just a touch sloppy. The soft serve is also great - my kid's eyes got saucer sized when she saw it.

Definitely worth visiting (once inside dining reopens) whether you have kids or not as there's lots of grown up food there and great beer selection.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2021, 03:29 PM   #8150

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
With the recent lockdowns impacting restaurants while they're down, thought I'd bump up this thread to share some of my locally owned favourites in hopes to get others to support them.

Would love to see other people share their local favs as well!

Cocoru chicken - great Korean fried chicken in Richmond

Say Mercy / Mackenzie Room - sister restaurants with amazingly unique and delicious menus.

Britannia brewing - great gastropub in Stevenson whith solid beers

Boy with a knife - open weekdays only, hidden gem in an industrial area of Richmond for burgers sandwiches and salads

Superflux brewing - love their beers

Gringo - hole in the wall in blood alley. Unfortunately not open with the lockdowns, but support them regardless when they re-open. Amazing chill vibes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post

BWAK has been a work favorite for the past few years. Deli better than the grill imo. The grill is like cactus pricing, and I just want a cheap lunch. But the grill offers drink specials.

Fav is defs gonna be The Cuban

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
This post thanked by: