REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #101
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Lots of NHLers use it. I know Willie Mitchel uses a different version of that, but it is basically the same idea.
They do not wear out on the bottom of the blade since it doesn't touch the ice, but I do believe they still wear out after a little while.
I believe they are $15 for front and back, so I dunno if you want to spend that much money to try it. I am thinking about it myself. Maybe that will be my christmas present to myself.

As for smart ball, no. Never used it so I dunno if it will work. I think a roller hockey puck would be better for off ice practice, but how good is off-ice practice cause once you go back to ice, it is slightly different.
I've personally used a smart ball they dont offer the dimensions of a puck, but is pretty close in weight and feel. I use it for fun but it does have its benefits in terms of handling a puck on your stick without looking and work on looking for feel.

As for blade tape, it's a good product, but at that price I've had friends go back to regular tape. As for myself, it feels fine but it didn't catch on to me. Much like everything else here, its PP. My PP was traditional tape which I won't be changing anymore.
Advertisement

Last edited by m3thods; 12-13-2008 at 05:06 PM.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #102
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

get blade tape at cyclones, for 9.99.

but blade tape is user preference. i like it for roller hockey, hate it for ice hockey.
nothing like doing a sweet tape job + waxing that twig before the game.
beetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:19 AM   #103
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

any hockey stores have boxing day deals?? i need a new stick!
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #104
My homepage has been set to RS

oh dude....there was this warrior stick that i fell in love with at ice level in rmd.
Stiff flex 1pc for 99 bucks.

You should try the hockey shop in surrey....i just bought a new set of elbows and shoulders for 115. Their boxing day sale already started.

Last edited by RayBot; 12-24-2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: chuck norris
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #105

sports exchange is awesome today. picked up nike bauer vapor xxii skates, pro lightspeed shoulders, shins and elbows, vapor xvi gloves and xxx lite hockey pants....so broke now, but soooo worth it!

Last edited by sil-300; 12-26-2008 at 08:38 PM.
sil-300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #106
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

GOOD DEALS AT SPORTS EXCHANGE, 25% off entire store, im broke now
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #107
I STILL don't get it

wheres sports exchange
Xnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #108

^^ burrard, between broadway and 4th.
sil-300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:32 AM   #109
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Sportchek has 20% off their hockey gear. Not that it's a big sale or anything but it's better than nothing since their PC location stocks top of the line gear. I just picked up a pair of Vapor XXXX shins today.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #110
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
What's the difference in normal skates and high end skates. Like skates that cost $100+ in comparison to skates that cost $500.

I'm currently using Bauer Velocity but am currently looking into CCM Vector U+. Other than the slight weight differential, I don't imagine dropping an extra $500 for high end skates will make me a more faster, agile player than I currently am now, will it?
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #111

Higher end skates are stiffer, but they're only beneficial if you have the strength to flex the boot. If you don't then they're just going to be uncomfortable.

Low end boots are really flimsy and offer no support at all, which makes it harder to learn how to skate. They're good enough for the recreational skater but I wouldn't buy them to play hockey in.

The materials they use for the skate, liner and tongue will be different in the higher end models.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #112
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
When we talk about the weight of the skates, by the end of the game, you will notice the difference.

Think about after the hockey game when you have to lug your gear out of the arena to your car. If your gear was a little bit lighter, it would be that much easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:45 AM   #113
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
When we talk about the weight of the skates, by the end of the game, you will notice the difference.
Hunh. I thought that was only a matter of conditioning.

Like in the last pick up we played @ Kits, I was pretty frustrated as my skates felt like bricks since I havent played in a week or two.

But when I play regularly, no matter the skate, I feel very light on my feet.

edit:

I guess the true question is. By looking into buying high-end skates, am I really making an investment into a better hockey experience/gameplay, or is marketing just getting to me and I'm just looking for an excuse to spend?

Last edited by Noir; 12-29-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Hunh. I thought that was only a matter of conditioning.

Like in the last pick up we played @ Kits, I was pretty frustrated as my skates felt like bricks since I havent played in a week or two.

But when I play regularly, no matter the skate, I feel very light on my feet.

edit:

I guess the true question is. By looking into buying high-end skates, am I really making an investment into a better hockey experience/gameplay, or is marketing just getting to me and I'm just looking for an excuse to spend?
Conditioning is part of the equation, but a lighter skate means you *can* play a higher level off the start, and have more in reserve in the later stages of the game.

Imagine if you can improve your conditioning that much, the skates can give you the slight little edge.

Of course we are no where near that level, so for us to spend that much money on high end gear, yes we are falling for the marketing.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 12-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #115

High end skates give you a lot more support.

By support in areas that help you push off when you do a stride. If you're in a cheaper boot, you'll notice that the boot really torques and twists when you go to push off. The benefit of going to the high end skates prevent you from the torquing, thus leading to the use of a more effective stride. You don't lose any energy.

Thus in the long run, the higher end skates that are stiffer will generally last you quite some time compared to a low end skate. Unless you are playing 7 times a week.

Once adrenaline kicks in, you'll barely be thinking about how many grams are on your feet.

Having a lighter skate is obviously a nice thing to have. Quicker feet, less fatigue.

Last edited by beetea; 12-29-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #116

Well, Noir, it finally happened. I finally noticed the difference between my old skates and new skates, and thus it is not hype nor marketing.
I've always played with mid upper end skates when I was younger. The last pair of skates that I bought were from Sport Chek, thus they were on the lower end of the spectrum. The pair of skates that I bought this year, is also of a mid lower model. I thought I could save a bit of money over spending the big bucks on a higher end boot.

Well, consistenly playing 2 - 3 games a week, and tonight's 2 games straight, I finally realized for me, the lower end boot just doesn't have enough support given my stature. By the end of the first game, I could feel the boot twisting as I was pushing off, thus making me use more energy to try to get away or chase down a player. By the middle of the second game, the boot flexed so much, that it was causing blisters on the lower portion of my heels. I could no longer skate with as much power as I could at the begining of the game.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 01-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #117
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Hey Guys,

Broke my Nike Vapour XXX Lite at the shaft, close to the kick-point.
Any of you guys have experiences in fixing broken one-piece sticks? Especially with the two vendors who fixes sticks, SRS Hockey and BC Stick Fix. Experiences? Stories to be aware of?

I am on the bench of either fixing the stick, or buying a new one.
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #118

I've never owned a repaired one piece but personally I think it's too costly to replace it. It's around $70 last time I checked for a repair and you only get a warranty on the area where the repair took place.

If I was in your situation I would just spend a bit more and buy a brand new pro return (no warranty) instead of going the repair route. I don't think repaired sticks will have much of a resale value, if any, down the road if you choose to not keep the stick.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #119
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I have two questions. One is about my stick, and one is about my skates.

After playing a few drop ins, I'm beginning to feel my skate blade slipping and not as sharp. I don't think it should require sharpening again after such a short period of time. (I went to 3 drop-ins and 3 stick and puck sessions). But I did buy my skate at Sportmart and some guy said he'll give it a "generic sharpening". I don't know what that means because I'm a hockey noob, but if there's a specific sharpening that is recommended for me, I wouldn't mind re-sharpening my skates. I heard the type of sharpening may depend on the weight of the skater as well...

I've also after a few games, my tape on the stick blade is wearing out on the heel while the toe is not really worn out at all. I'm thinking either it's because I'm a noob so I keep having a habit of not keeping my elbow high enough (to keep the blade flat on the ice) or I need a new blade with a lower lie. I think I'm using a 5.5 right now. Also, I'm noticing I miscalculating my reach a lot. I might need to skate faster or compensate it with a longer stick. Becuase some players just naturally prefer longer sticks and some prefer shorter. I play forward though, and currently my stick is just a tad shorter than my chin on skates.

If I had a longer stick, would my lie need to increase or decrease? Or the question can be asked vice versa I guess. I have several options but I'm kinda confused.

I either want a longer stick, a lower lie, or both. But either way, I'm probably gonna go and buy a new stick. Too bad I missed out on boxing week sales now
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 01-05-2009 at 10:20 AM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #120

Errrr.....if you're a newb, then you are probably not experienced enough to venture on other places for a 'good' skate sharpening yet. I remember when i got my skates shaerpened at Sport Check, used it once...and got my skates sharpened at a better place.

Liability wise, all stores a required to sharpen their skates....because straight out of the box, skates aren't skatable....but when you get your 'generic' sharpening done, depending on who you get it done by, it will be good for at least standing on your skates on the ice.

There is another thread in the Sports and Fitness...a lot of people shared their experiences, where to go, where not to go, and who to ask for.

Don't worry about your stick...it may take months for you to find a comfort zone....but just choose based on your preference of length....defensively a longer stick will come in handy. But for the best shooting, handling and all around play, you've got the best length.....

If you're learning....i suggest not using a stick length that will limit the amount of skills based on the position you choose for the time being.

Where u play drop in by the way?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #121
Banned (ABWS)?

I play on the Saturday drop ins at Burnaby Lake Arena. There's a thread in this section about that. It's titled Newbie drop-in or something like that.

I'm currently using a wood supreme one55 stick. I think I can get another one (with a different curve) for around $25 at cyclone taylor.

This might be a stupid question, but I'm right handed and have always played with right handed sticks. Because it just feels uncomfortable using a LH stick. Majority of NHL players shoot left despite being right handed. Is this really entirely based on comfort or should beginners train to use LH sticks if they are right handed? Because currently, if I have my left hand on the bottom, I really have no control at all where my blade goes.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #122

No....if you hold a no-curve stick and the first thing you do is put your right hand on the center of the shaft and your left hand on the butt-end....then you're 99% going to be a right hander for the duration you play hockey. Vice versa if you're a left hander.
This is something you'll probably realize in first grade gym class.

Its human nature really.....although i am righty that shoots right.....theres a lot of people, regardless of what hand they are, will use the opposite hand for more controlled actions....such as brushing your teeth, driving, and masturbation. Hockey seems to fall into this category as well....but not for everyone.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #123
Banned (ABWS)?

^ lol... in that case, I'm very right hand dominant.
I do everything better with my right hand, and naturally use my right hand for everything as well.

I did some research and it turns out I'm using a Bauer P106 stick that has a lie of 5. I don't think it's common for blades to get any lower than that, but I have seem some 4.5 or 4. But I don't recall which brand has them. Because I don't think Bauer makes blades with any lie lower than 5. Infact, most brands I've seen don't have anything lower than 5. Can anyone help me out?

Last edited by AzNightmare; 01-05-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #124

sherwood, wood sticks, 4.5 lie forgot the curve name
Old 01-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #125
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanks, I will look around.
I either want to get a 4 - 4.5 Lie wood stick or replacement blade
$35 is my budget.

Last edited by AzNightmare; 01-05-2009 at 12:51 PM.