REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #126
My homepage has been set to RS

i've got a couple of one peice composites that i am selling....
Not using them anymore.

RBK Phaneuf and a TPS Nash curve. Better bang for the buck if you ask me.

Probably going to ask for less than 35 for both
Advertisement
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #127
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
one pieces as in shaft+blade?

I'm looking for a wooden blade with the rare lie of 4.5 or less right now though.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 01-05-2009 at 04:01 PM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #128

yep.....as in blade and shaft. Both sticks treated me well.

I am not familiar with lie-measurements. So...yeah.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #129
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
I'm pretty sure Sher Wood is the only common brand that carries <5 lies.

A Nash is definitely >5, and Phaneuf is a 6.

From experience, get used to a 5 because you'll have tons of trouble finding a 4
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #130
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I have two questions. One is about my stick, and one is about my skates.

After playing a few drop ins, I'm beginning to feel my skate blade slipping and not as sharp. I don't think it should require sharpening again after such a short period of time. (I went to 3 drop-ins and 3 stick and puck sessions). But I did buy my skate at Sportmart and some guy said he'll give it a "generic sharpening". I don't know what that means because I'm a hockey noob, but if there's a specific sharpening that is recommended for me, I wouldn't mind re-sharpening my skates. I heard the type of sharpening may depend on the weight of the skater as well...

I've also after a few games, my tape on the stick blade is wearing out on the heel while the toe is not really worn out at all. I'm thinking either it's because I'm a noob so I keep having a habit of not keeping my elbow high enough (to keep the blade flat on the ice) or I need a new blade with a lower lie. I think I'm using a 5.5 right now. Also, I'm noticing I miscalculating my reach a lot. I might need to skate faster or compensate it with a longer stick. Becuase some players just naturally prefer longer sticks and some prefer shorter. I play forward though, and currently my stick is just a tad shorter than my chin on skates.

If I had a longer stick, would my lie need to increase or decrease? Or the question can be asked vice versa I guess. I have several options but I'm kinda confused.

I either want a longer stick, a lower lie, or both. But either way, I'm probably gonna go and buy a new stick. Too bad I missed out on boxing week sales now
It could be that your skates were done by a big box store by some employee who's never played hockey before. Try getting your skates sharpened at a real hockey store and if your problem still persists get a deeper cut. I am very light for my size and I can still get away with using a shallow cut.

As for the heel of your stick wearing out more than the toe it could be the lie like you mentioned or your stick is just too long to begin with.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #131
Banned (ABWS)?

I just checked Sportchek after work.
The only 4.5 Lie stick I found was a Sherwood 5030 Feather-Lite.
The stick is actually really light for a wood stick. It costs $30.
The lie does seem pretty good, but as m3thods said, it would be difficult to find other sticks with a similar lie when I do move on to better composite sticks in the future.

Maybe what I should ask is, how high should my shoulder and elbow be when I hold my stick?

I'm thinking of buying that sherwood just to try out a lower lie, and it's also pretty cheap. But in the end, it's also cheaper to just buy a new wooden replacement blade for $25 >.
Of course, that would mean I will have a lie of 5 since they don't go any lower than that for replacement blades.

Last edited by AzNightmare; 01-05-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #132

I dunno about you guys....but my shoulders are relaxed and elbows at the abdomin area.

Anyone else?
Old 01-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #133
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
So many questions, hope I didn't miss anything.

Skates, most people say roughly around 2 hours on ice and then it is time for a resharpen. Given that you played 3 drop-in and 3 stick N puck, I say get the skates resharped. Because you are still a noob, get the regular cut. Once your skating gets stronger, then try the different cuts and/or profile your blades.

As for you stick, just under the chin is what I would recommend for someone who is starting out. I play with a really short stick. While standing up, I can put both gloves on top of the butt and still be able to put my chin on top of the gloves. Start with the stick where it is and once you get better, then try other heights. Also, don't worry so much about the stick itself. I don't think you really need a stick with a lower lie. More than likely, you are wearing out the heal of your stick because a) your stick to too long for the way you play b) you need to adjust where your hands are on the stick c) your skating is weak and you use the stick to compensate. Never seen you play, but these are some of the common reasons.

I am pre-dominately right handed, but for hockey I shoot left. I golf as a lefty while people like Gretzkey shoot left but play golf as a righty. You can train yourself to go the other way, like Micky Mantle taught himself to bat as a switch hitter (able to hit the ball from both sides of the plate).

Not sure what you are try to ask about the shoulders and elbows AZNightmare. Can you be a little more specific.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #134
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
I think the positions do not matter, as long as its comfortable.

Take a look a hockey players- they all have different shoulder and elbow positions but all have one thing in common, and that's using what feels most comfortable for them. Like someone already stated you may be wearing the heel of your stick because its too long. I personally play with a 5.5-6 lie stick to my chin ON skates. I'd prefer a 5 but haven't found a curve I like in that lie, so I stick with what feels best.

If you're really worried (which you shouldn't be) get someone to take a picture when you are on the ice. Video works best. Then watch it and see whether you need to cut your stick, move to a lower lie, or do nothing. Video is an athlete's best friend. Don't post it here unless you really want to- in that case you may need one of them Japanese censors
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #135
Banned (ABWS)?

I'm not that good of a skater, so I might be using my stick to compensate for turning and stopping quicker. I'm not really sure though. I usually end up falling on my knees whenever I'm trying to battle for a puck along the boards. My stick is definately at my chin level though. After I bought it, I cut it to that height (but it feels short for my liking). I'm already holding the knob, because holding the handle will make the stick really uncomfortable to use.

For the elbow and shoulder question, basically, me being a right shooter, how high should my left elbow be? This basically controls whether my blade will be flat on the ice or not. Although if I lift it higher, it puts more strain, less comfort of course, etc. But it might just be something every new player needs to get into the habit of doing maybe?

I guess I'm a bit confused on preference vs. proper posture. And in hockey, it seems pretty relaxed, as in, whatever you do, as long as it works, do it.

Because if I do whatever feels most comfortable to me, it may not be what I should be doing, if you know what I'm trying to say. Someone did tell me to keep my left elbow higher though, as it would keep my blade more flat on the ice. I was thinking, well that's not comfortable, but it works. Either I need to adapt and adjust, or get a new stick.

Maybe Noir can give me some tips too, since he's the only one that've seen me play, unless some of you guys also go to the Saturday drop in that I don't know about.

Last edited by AzNightmare; 01-06-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #136
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Maybe Noir can give me some tips too, since he's the only one that've seen me play, unless some of you guys also go to the Saturday drop in that I don't know about.
To be honest, I really wouldn't use tape wear as a measure of which your appropriate lie is. You've seen me play and I stick handle fine, but like you, the tape wears out in the heel faster, almost at a per game basis.

Reason for this when i stand up, the blade lies flat. But when I skate hard, I skate real low, and if I don't have the puck, that means my stick is dragging on the heel portion of the stick on the ice. Tape also wears on the heal faster as when I casually skate w/ one hand on stick, I'm also draggin the stick with the heel on ice. Hence, why the heel of our stick wears faster.

It's hard for people to suggest an apporpriate stick for you because you're a bit too new and have yet to determine your own individual comfort setting regarding your equipment. So going longer or shorter doesn't really matter. My best suggestion is be kind to your teammates and ask if you can borrow their spare sticks for a shift or two (or during warm ups before game and take a few shots and stickhandle). I would say 99% of people would oblige and you can get a good feel as to which direction you'd prefer, whether be it a longer stick, or a shorter one.

edit:

Oh yeah, reading your post in pg. 3. Get your skates sharpened. It's routine maintenance that you need to keep for your skates and they only cost roughly $5. No sweat to your wallet. Depending on who sharpens your skates though, your skates could last 3 games, sometimes 10+. Hence why I started a thread here recently about where do ppl prefer to get their skates sharpened to review other shops they have patronized. Or, if they even have a specific technician they prefer.

Anyways, 3 pg. resource right here.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?t=552641

Oh, BTW, I get mine done at Larry's Sports and I use a .5" shallow cut. I have gone 2 weeks since my last sharpen and I play roughly 3 - 4 times a week.

Last edited by Noir; 01-06-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #137
RS controls my life!

I'm right handed and I shoot left, it's probably because my first stick was a Left-handed stick and I just kinda learned on that one.

Pretty much everything is right-handed for me, I'm right handed for golf as well..

I can't use a right-handed stick to save my life..
SlayerS_`BoxeR` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #138
F1
REVscene.net

i read somewhere that your dominant hand is the one that grips the stick on top while the non-dominant grips the middle. hence since the world has more right handed ppl that most hockey players shoot left. with me my left hand is dominant so i shoot right. it doesn't always work out that they though and of course, its whatever feels more comfortable.
F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #139
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

pure bred lefty here.
left shooter, left writer, left kicker, left golfer, left everything.

but now that my ankle is broken, i will miss hockey very much
beetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 View Post
i read somewhere that your dominant hand is the one that grips the stick on top while the non-dominant grips the middle. hence since the world has more right handed ppl that most hockey players shoot left. with me my left hand is dominant so i shoot right. it doesn't always work out that they though and of course, its whatever feels more comfortable.
Not sure, never checked, but it has been said most of the people who play hockey in Canada shoot left handed.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 01-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #141

Quote:
I'm not that good of a skater, so I might be using my stick to compensate for turning and stopping quicker. I'm not really sure though. I usually end up falling on my knees whenever I'm trying to battle for a puck along the boards. My stick is definately at my chin level though. After I bought it, I cut it to that height (but it feels short for my liking). I'm already holding the knob, because holding the handle will make the stick really uncomfortable to use.
My best advice, work on your skating as much as you can. If time permits, go public skating and work on 1) skating strength (power with each stride) 2) balance 3) stop, starting, cross-overs, and backwards skating.
From the sounds of it, your skating is very weak. If your skating is weak, you spend a lot of energy to go not very fast. So you will get tired faster. Weak skating puts you and other players in danger in case you fall awkwardly and hurt yourself or you fall and take someone else with you. Lastly, if your skating/balance is weak, everything else you do will not improve. You cannot stick handle or shoot the puck properly because you are fighting to maintain balance.

Until then, keep your stick at the current height, and try to have fun. If you are trying too many things, you will take some of the fun away from the game.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 01-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #142
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Hey

has anyone bought anything off Cyclone Taylor online?

I mean even though it's local. The price difference from their website to the actual store can get pretty big. Like the CCM Vector 10 shoulder pads.

It's $169.99 in the store, but 89.99 online

*nvm they don't ship locally, those bastards*

Last edited by ewong; 01-08-2009 at 08:48 PM.
ewong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:31 AM   #143
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewong View Post
Hey

has anyone bought anything off Cyclone Taylor online?

I mean even though it's local. The price difference from their website to the actual store can get pretty big. Like the CCM Vector 10 shoulder pads.

It's $169.99 in the store, but 89.99 online

*nvm they don't ship locally, those bastards*
Cyclone Taylor (the retail store) and CycloneTaylor.com are separate entities. They'll never have the same prices online and in store.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:39 AM   #144

They are not 169.99 my friend. Maybe after tax they are that price.

Last edited by beetea; 01-09-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:11 AM   #145
I STILL don't get it

they wont ship within vancouver. i tried
Xnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #146

they will ship outside BC
Old 01-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #147
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerS_`BoxeR` View Post
I'm right handed and I shoot left, it's probably because my first stick was a Left-handed stick and I just kinda learned on that one.

Pretty much everything is right-handed for me, I'm right handed for golf as well..

I can't use a right-handed stick to save my life..
you sound like me
but i think i'm a little more messed up
shoot left for hockey
golf right
dribble left shoot right

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Grandmaster TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:31 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster TSE View Post
you sound like me
but i think i'm a little more messed up
shoot left for hockey
golf right
dribble left shoot right

uhmmm...thats as pretty much ambidextric as most people can get. I'd kill to be able to use both hands to that extent.