REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:26 AM   #51
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I felt like my stick was too short. But most likely my stickhandling just sucks. I'm using the Nike Bauer Supreme One55 wooden stick.
Great that you had fun out there. As for the stick length, with your skates on standing straight, how high up does the stick go? Most people recommend the butt end should end around chin level. For me, I play with a shorter stick, and the stick ends around 2 inches below the chin. Then again, I like to stick handle and play rather crouched.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #52
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
My stick's too long for me according to the guide. I can't remember how tall it is when I got my skates on. But when I'm standing on barefeet, the stick butt goes all the way up to my eyebrows. So with skates on, it's probably up to my nose. I'm sure the stick is fine though, just a combination of getting used to it and learning how to stick handle. Too bad the next time I get a chance to play again will be in the newbie drop-in on Dec 13. Since I work office hours and I just got lucky yesterday because I had a day off, I can't go to anymore stick and puck sessions anytime soon.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 11-29-2008 at 09:13 AM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:15 AM   #53

Quote:
My stick's too long for me according to the guide. I can't remember how tall it is when I got my skates on. But when I'm standing on barefeet, the stick butt goes all the way up to my eyebrows. So with skates on, it's probably up to my nose. I'm sure the stick is fine though, just a combination of getting used to it and learning how to stick handle. Too bad the next time I get a chance to play again will be in the newbie drop-in on Dec 13. Since I work office hours and I just got lucky yesterday because I had a day off, I can't go to anymore stick and puck sessions anytime soon.
That would be too long, unless you play D.
I would definately cut the stick shorter to nose level when barefoot.
After that, just get more ice time to get use to the stick.

My current stick is a Vapor 7, and it took me 3 weeks to get use to the feel and the length is the same as my old stick.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #54
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

i play forward and love playing with a longer stick
my stick comes up to about my nose and mouth on skates

it really just depends on how you play

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Grandmaster TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #55
Banned (ABWS)?

So far this stick hasn't ever felt too long or bulky. I might be playing upright, so I'll give it some time to figure out my own style. I'm not sure if I crouch or not. Maybe after a few pick up games, people can tell me what I am, since I won't be conscious of my own playing style when I'm out on the ice.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #56
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

A bit of advice, if you do plan to progress with ice hockey. Work on your skating the most. Most people go out there and crank slapshots like it was going out of style. And when they go to get the puck, they might as well be using rollerblades on the ice.

It's a little boring at first not being able to play around with the puck, but trust me get comfortable skating, then once you are, add the puck.

Don't want to see another "shooting only" stick and puck guy.
beetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #57
I STILL don't get it

do u guys know any place cheap to buy goalie gears??? cyclone taylors expensive with the pads!!!
Xnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #58
Art & Graphics Moderator

If you want cheap, recreational level gear, order online. Hockey Giant, Ice Warehouse, Don Simmons, etc. there's a bunch... Might wanna look for retailer reviews too, though.

I dare say that the price of goalie equipment is actually better now than it was 10 years ago, though... Especially with RBK entering the market and really pushing Vaughn, Louisville/TPS, Itech, etc. to be more competitive.

From looking at the Cyclone site, looks like they have the older RBK 6Ks for $350... that's pretty damn good for pads.

Reminds me that I need to go fitting for new skates lol.
REVscene.net - The #1 Import Lifestyles Website >>
Post your artwork, computer graphics, typography, and other creative stylings in the Import Art Forum!!!
absolutZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #59
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen View Post
do u guys know any place cheap to buy goalie gears??? cyclone taylors expensive with the pads!!!

you wanna go used or slightly lower quality which is good for beginners??

Sports Exchange....but i know people that shopped there and upgraded the rookie equipment they bought there about a year later.

I dunno about you guys...but ESPECIALLY if i was a goaltender, i would want to use the gear that i bought for the LONGEST time possible....not upgrade after a year when i become better.

Last edited by RayBot; 12-01-2008 at 11:46 PM.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #60
I STILL don't get it

im thinking of brand new goalie stuff. not used or w/e.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #61
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
im thinking of brand new goalie stuff. not used or w/e.
have you played goalie on ice/roller before? are you planning on joining a league? i play both goalie and forward and i must say if you're planning on playing goalie for a while i would spend the extra money. the lower end gear will protect you from players who cant shoot hard but thats it. you will feel stingers from a good slap shot if you wear the cheap gear. if you havent played before and wanna give it a try id buy used 1st as new goalie gear is really expensive. it will cost you at least a grand from scratch and thats not even the high end stuff. go to goaliemonkey.com and take at look at their clearance goalie sets. the prices arent bad
Old 12-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #62
I STILL don't get it

yea im playing in a league. goaliemonkey apparently doesnt ship to canada for certain brands as well as charging ridiculous amount of shipping charges just for pads. i heard it was $100 or 200 more.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #63
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

^ well if money is an issue then you should buy used gear if you need everything. or else be prepared to pay around 400 for pads. 300 for blocker and trapper. 40 for a jock. 130 for goalie pants. 150 for a low end mask. 60 for a goalie stick. 200 for goalie skates. 200 for a chest protector. the prices i've stated are somewhat in the middle/lower end models for gear. that comes to about 1500 bucks. there may be cheaper stuff out there brand new but it wont last that long to be honest and wont protect you fully against a good shooter
goodluck
Old 12-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #64
Banned (ABWS)?

For elbow pads, how much of my forearm should be exposed in the area between the end of the elbow/forearm guard and the cuffs of my gloves?

I'm using the Vapor XII gloves right now. Are those considered short or long cuffs?
Old 12-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #65
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Quote:
For elbow pads, how much of my forearm should be exposed in the area between the end of the elbow/forearm guard and the cuffs of my gloves?

I'm using the Vapor XII gloves right now. Are those considered short or long cuffs?
whatever is comfortable for you

for me, i have a inch or so from my gloves to the elbows

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Grandmaster TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #66
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:

As previous poster said it's all PP. I personally have NBH 4-Rolls which are medium length, and short elbow pads. I fill the rest with Eagle Wrist guards which I definitely swear by- one of the better hockey investments next to skates and helmet.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #67
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Instead of using a low end shaft and blade combo, invest your money in a good wood stick instead.

A shitty shaft will cost you at least $30 but you can already get a top of the line wood stick for $40. The wood stick will be better balanced and will have WAY better performance than some price point composite shaft and blade.

Last edited by mickz; 12-03-2008 at 05:48 PM.
mickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:29 AM   #68
Banned (ABWS)?

Is the edit button working?

Last edited by AzNightmare; 12-04-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #69
Banned (ABWS)?

I feel sad, because last week I went to the Richmond Centre Sportchek to buy my hockey stick.

Then yesterday I went to the Metrotown one and they had a way bigger selection of stuff. Such as there's actually two different versions of my stick (Gange / Lindros).

After stick and puck session, I've noticed the tape on my heel of the blade wearing out. So that means I need a lower lie, right? I'm debating whether to buy the other version (with the lower lie). I think Sportchek has a "buy one, get the second one 50% off" on wooden sticks. I think I can just show the receipt that I bought a stick last week and would still be able to use this deal to get another one 50% off... The stick retails at $33. Or would it just be easier to cut my stick a few inches shorter. It does go up to my nose on skates. That should help the stick go in a more upright position to fix the lie. The problem with cutting my stick is that the flex will go up. According to my body weight, I probably should be using a 65-70... That is if I can even find a Sr. stick with those flex numbers.

And btw, does anyone know anything about Ice Level? I think it's a store in Richmond. My friend said he had some store credit that he can let me use to knock down the price on some stuff.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #70

Can't say for certain but try cutting the stick to the right length before deciding the lie is wrong for you.

Don't worry about the stiffness on the stick. Unless you take a lot of snap/slap shots, you really won't notice it. And that is assuming you are at the skill level where you will notice it.

Ice level is good. They have a pretty good selection of hockey gear. And it can't hurt to go out there to take a look.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 12-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #71
I STILL don't get it

i bought the RBL 6K Turco flex pads package with the blocker and trapper today from hockeyshop. it was $705 including tax. do u guys think if its a deal?
Old 12-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #72

Quote:
i bought the RBL 6K Turco flex pads package with the blocker and trapper today from hockeyshop. it was $705 including tax. do u guys think if its a deal?
What is the refund policy?

I have no clue, but the last time my brother bought goalie pads, they were almost $1000 so to me that seems like a good price.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 12-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #73
I STILL don't get it

says full refund available 10 days from date of purchase
Old 12-05-2008, 11:42 PM   #74
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
If they don't hurt when you make a save I'd say that's a pretty damn good deal.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #75
I STILL don't get it

cool.

im wondering where else can i buy inline goalie skates locally. cyclonetaylor doesnt have any. hockeyshop only have 1 selection and its $350.