REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 09-01-2010, 06:41 AM   #26
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
They are doing their job which they are getting paid for.
Posted via RS Mobile
So why should we tip in this real world?

Everyone is doing their job and they are getting paid.

Why do we tip bellboys? Why do we tip servers? Why do we tip a pizza boy bringing over the pizza? Why do we tip Valet?

What you have said does not make sense, if they get paid you dont need to tip?

Then whats the point of having "tip" in the first place?
Advertisement
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:53 AM   #27
無敵

And if the service is terrible they deserve a tip? Why is that?
Keep tipping places that do little to deserve it and they'll think they're doing a good enough job to deserve getting more tips. Some may even make it mandatory.

A lot of places elsewhere won't take tips that do a much better job than the lazy ass people in Canada, who tack on a mandatory tip to everything (karaoke, which most people see only before and after renting a room of which they paid for).

muteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:11 AM   #28
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

I don't get why people tip for take out
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #29
無敵

You people who are so insistent on tipping for take out sound like this guy I knew who worked in a crappy little sushi place. He would bitch about people not tipping and calling them cheapasses when they come in for takeout, and would purposely give them lower than average service or talk down to them in "discrete" ways as he would put it then laugh to himself about it afterwards.

Let me guess, you work in a restaurant or fast-food joint that does take out?

Old 09-01-2010, 08:16 AM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post

Why do we tip bellboys? Why do we tip servers? Why do we tip a pizza boy bringing over the pizza? Why do we tip Valet?

I dunno, you tell me. Personally I think tipping is stupid (and I used to be a waiter).

As a patron I don't care about the chefs. It's the restaurant owner's job to make sure the chef is happy and cooks well. If he doesn't, well guess what, they won't be in business for long. Also keep in mind that chefs, including other kitchen staff, get paid more than the floor staff upfront.

When I call ahead to pick up my food, I am paying for the restaurant to cook me the food as per the reason they are in business. I'm already paying above 300% markup too. What am I tipping for?
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #31
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
no tip for taking out ..

i hate those karaoke place always said "tips is not included in the amount" when they hand you the bill

so what ? who gives a shit, does that mean i gotta tip ?
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #32
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
Oh, so the hard working people in the kitchen did nothing? They just conjured your food by waving a magic wand?

I don't know about other places, but Japanese owned restaurants where I have worked gave about 30~35% of the tip to the kitchen staff.

Granted, I don't tip as much for take-out, but I will leave at least 10% when I do a take-out at my usual places.
With that thinking, do you tip the person that bags your groceries, the person in the library that scans your books and so on? Everyone works hard and that is what they get paid to do.

If I'm eating at the restaurant, I'm paying not only for the food, but the experience so a tip is warrented if you enjoyed that experience and interaction. Also if you enjoyed the food, than tip a bit more.

Now for takeout, I don't know if the food will be cold or something is wrong with it until after I eat it, so that reason is enough for me not to tip for takeout. But moreso, I just don't think they have provided a service worth tipping for.

Maybe if I was a regular to a restuarant for their take out, and developed a repore with the person always handing me my food, I may tip a bit each time.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #33
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post

Tipping is a custom evolved from paying extra to ensure preferential service, better quality service, or a gratuity for good service.

Now it seems it has just become an expected practice by most people employed in the restaurant/service industry. It pisses me off that those employees feel they are automatically "entitled" to a tip, regardless if they provided exceptional service or not.

I'm unsure how much kitchen staff contribute to the service experience. I usually tip based on how the server serves me, if she made sure my beer wasn't empty, if she got to me before other customers etc...

There are a lot of countries where tipping is not practiced.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 09-01-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #34
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Tipping is a custom evolved from paying extra to ensure preferential service, better quality service, or a gratuity for good service.

With that, I tend to think tipping = borderline corruption. A co-worker of mine told me he went to vietnam. In the airport he is waiting in line for viet custom people to stamp passport and crap. He sees fellow canadian travelers in front of him taking a long time to "process". When it is finally his turn, he recalls his travel agent telling him to slip in a few bucks in his passport. Low and behold, he went through in less than 1 minute. Better preferential service and better quality service? Yes. Corruption? You be the judge.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #35
無敵

^ They only do that to fob Vietnamese people. Speak proper English and you get through in seconds.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #36
Banned (ABWS)

some places like western restaurants where they kiss-ass and make your dining experience as comfortable as possible deserve tips.

if you go to a chinese restaurant where they greet you with the typical "HARRRLOW!" aren't looking for tips. they just want to you to eat and then get the fuck out. and then come back again when you are hungry
BaoXu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #37
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Nope, don't tip for take out.
mhui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #38
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFighter View Post
^yeah karaoke places can suck it. they think they deserve tip.

but for takeout, no tip.
Thats why you should ask for as much service as possible since you are tipping them.. such as tuning the mic, give u snacks or even holding your mic and keying in the song for you!! hahaha
milkmilk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #39
Banned (ABWS)

I think tipping is a way to show appreciation for the service provided. Yes the waiter get paid for serving you, that's like their basic job requirement. But when they do a good job at what they do and went for that extra mile, tips come in as a motivation.
It's the same when teacher give students candies when they get high scores in tests and exams.
milkmilk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #40
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
I don't get why people tip for take out
pff i dont even get why the fuck tipping is required in the first place.

gas attendant needs to be tipped by the way, because they are providing you a service. A service to make sure they dont over pump or drip gasoline on ur paint

Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #41
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

So, why do people tip for buying a cup of coffee at Starbucks?
Posted via RS Mobile
Audi-Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #42
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
if any bartender asks for a tip when your in a nightclub he isn't doing a very good job, and you probably shouldnt tip him/her.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:40 AM   #43
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
I don't tip or tip very little for take out because of where the tips are going. I used to work in a restaurant and we would have to go out of our way to pull out a couple boxes and containers for the take out orders whilst the servers who would receive the tips only act as a cashier, I don't tip my cashier at safeway nor would I for takeout at a restaurant
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote