REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   tip for takeout? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/623641-tip-takeout.html)

ws6ta 08-31-2010 05:10 PM

tip for takeout?

okay so my brother and I got into this thing about tipping for take out. I usually leave about a 25% tip when dining in just rounded so it can be a few % more or less but you get the idea. its not about being stingy at all but I just NEVER tip for take out. do you guys tip when you get take out? I usually just leave the tip section empty sign the receipt and leave. to me tipping for take out would be like tipping a cashier at save-on-foods for bagging my groceries....makes no sense :confused:

vafanculo 08-31-2010 05:17 PM

I used to tip $2 or so. But then I stopped tipping all together (take out). Just today I picked up some food, got my 40 cents change and left. I looked for a tip jar and there was none. And I figured saying "keep the change" on that amount is a bit insulting.

But ya, takeout = no tip.

If we start tipping during takeout it pretty much enforces the idea that you HAVE to tip at a restaurant.
Posted via RS Mobile

v.Rossi 08-31-2010 05:17 PM

i don't, because you're not really being served when you're ordering take out. if i'm eating in the restaurant, getting served + my drink refilled, all that good stuff then of course i'll tip.

.darlyn 08-31-2010 05:22 PM

When I worked as a cashier at this restaurant, generally, customers that ordered take out does not tip... Except for those few rare ones(usually the regulars) that tip like 1 or 2bux..
Posted via RS Mobile

TOS'd 08-31-2010 05:25 PM

^ Yea if its a restaurant I usually go to and the people kinda know me. Then I'd leave the change or if the change is very little, I'd throw in a toonie or something. Other than that, no tip.

TheSalesman 08-31-2010 05:27 PM

I never tip for takeout.

MR_BIGGS 08-31-2010 05:31 PM

I've never tipped for takeout. There is no need, as they haven't really provided a service.

ShanghaiKid 08-31-2010 06:04 PM

I have this dilemma all the time, but I guess it makes more sense not to? After all, getting takeout from a restaurant is pretty much the same as buying fast food, the server is simply acting as a cashier... and I suppose its the norm to typically not tip fast food cashiers?

WHEYsted 08-31-2010 06:06 PM

tip n. 1. A small sum of money given to someone for performing a service; a gratuity.

Handing you food is not actually considered performing a service.

/thread.

Vale46Rossi 08-31-2010 06:12 PM

Hmm, I tip during takeout because for some reason it feels like its still a service to serve you and give you the menu and be nice.

Well also in my point of view if I was a server the most i will look forward to is the tip not the 8-10$ an hour.

But I also factor in that asian owned places keeps a big % of the tip where a Caucasian owned restaurant will split it with the other servers which seems more fair so I will usually tip more at a Caucasian owned restaurant

TRDood 08-31-2010 06:16 PM

Nope.

winson604 08-31-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenDuang (Post 7087520)
Hmm, I tip during takeout because for some reason it feels like its still a service to serve you and give you the menu and be nice.

Well also in my point of view if I was a server the most i will look forward to is the tip not the 8-10$ an hour.

But I also factor in that asian owned places keeps a big % of the tip where a Caucasian owned restaurant will split it with the other servers which seems more fair so I will usually tip more at a Caucasian owned restaurant

Do you tip when you go to McDonalds or BK? I don't tip when I order take out and like others have said it's because they didn't "serve" you. I called or walked in, ordered, grabbed my shiet and left. The only "serving" they did was taking my order and handing me my food which is no different from McDonalds. Sometimes I'll tell them to keep the change even if it happens to be $1 or $2 though.

Vale46Rossi 08-31-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winson604 (Post 7087531)
Do you tip when you go to McDonalds or BK? I don't tip when I order take out and like others have said it's because they didn't "serve" you. I called or walked in, ordered, grabbed my shiet and left. The only "serving" they did was taking my order and handing me my food which is no different from McDonalds. Sometimes I'll tell them to keep the change even if it happens to be $1 or $2 though.

I do understand this part and it makes sense, but do McDonald workers get tip overall from the restaurant? Where a restaurant has tip added to their pay?

and I look at it as... depends what kind of service you get, McDonalds have terrible service because usually its high school students who are just doing this as a part time where servers a lot of time are out of highschool.

But in the end it depends where you get takeout like pearl castle compared to Glowbal or something like that.

Vale46Rossi 08-31-2010 06:36 PM

btw actually I have tipped at BK before because there is a tip line if you pay credit card.

if the meal is $5.32 I would just round it up to $6.00

and McDonalds no because paying by credit card does not require signing.

gars 08-31-2010 06:38 PM

I hate going to Karaoke here because they automatically assume they deserve a tip - even if you don't have any food or drinks. Sorry, but setting up a karaoke room does not mean I should tip you.

StealthFighter 08-31-2010 08:20 PM

^yeah karaoke places can suck it. they think they deserve tip.

but for takeout, no tip.

Not really racist! 08-31-2010 08:34 PM

Never, if you're gonna tip for take out might as well tip the people working at McDonalds that work hard and only make less than what they deserve

Gnomes 08-31-2010 08:46 PM

I dont tip take out for the same reasons as above. I would hate it to see tipping in takeout to become a non-optional social gesture just like how so many things headed that direction

Jgresch 08-31-2010 08:49 PM

I don't tip someone for a job a can do myself, I can and do cut my own hair, I do however tip my neurologist, because I am unable to pulvarize my own kidney stones. (whoever sources quote gets a thanks)
Posted via RS Mobile

Mugen EvOlutioN 08-31-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7087550)
I hate going to Karaoke here because they automatically assume they deserve a tip - even if you don't have any food or drinks. Sorry, but setting up a karaoke room does not mean I should tip you.

never understood why karaoke deserves a fucking tip

i think 7 eleven cashier deserves a tip for getting me a hot dog and a pack of smoke

macdicks drive thru deserves a tip for bringing my food to the window so i can grab

Not really racist! 08-31-2010 08:59 PM

Karoke is pretty retarded..

Doesn't K-Mix recommend you to pay 10% tip or require you to or something. I think theres a paper taped on the front desk that says something on the lines of that

Great68 08-31-2010 09:29 PM

I wouldn't tip for takeout...

I mean the restaurant is already saving money by not having you take up a table and server's time for the meal...

rslater 08-31-2010 10:16 PM

The reason I never tip on takeout is because at any legit restaurant the servers will not tip out based on take out orders. The managers will wave the amount off their of their final bill even if a server rings the order through on their account. I could partially understand if a server had to tip out on take out orders, but they don't, so their restaurant is essentially telling you do not tip.

Senna4ever 09-01-2010 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS (Post 7087477)
I've never tipped for takeout. There is no need, as they haven't really provided a service.

Oh, so the hard working people in the kitchen did nothing? They just conjured your food by waving a magic wand?

I don't know about other places, but Japanese owned restaurants where I have worked gave about 30~35% of the tip to the kitchen staff.

Granted, I don't tip as much for take-out, but I will leave at least 10% when I do a take-out at my usual places.

vafanculo 09-01-2010 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senna4ever (Post 7087982)
Oh, so the hard working people in the kitchen did nothing? They just conjured your food by waving a magic wand?

I don't know about other places, but Japanese owned restaurants where I have worked gave about 30~35% of the tip to the kitchen staff.

Granted, I don't tip as much for take-out, but I will leave at least 10% when I do a take-out at my usual places.

They are doing their job which they are getting paid for.
Posted via RS Mobile