REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 08-31-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

tip for takeout?

okay so my brother and I got into this thing about tipping for take out. I usually leave about a 25% tip when dining in just rounded so it can be a few % more or less but you get the idea. its not about being stingy at all but I just NEVER tip for take out. do you guys tip when you get take out? I usually just leave the tip section empty sign the receipt and leave. to me tipping for take out would be like tipping a cashier at save-on-foods for bagging my groceries....makes no sense
Advertisement
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I used to tip $2 or so. But then I stopped tipping all together (take out). Just today I picked up some food, got my 40 cents change and left. I looked for a tip jar and there was none. And I figured saying "keep the change" on that amount is a bit insulting.

But ya, takeout = no tip.

If we start tipping during takeout it pretty much enforces the idea that you HAVE to tip at a restaurant.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

i don't, because you're not really being served when you're ordering take out. if i'm eating in the restaurant, getting served + my drink refilled, all that good stuff then of course i'll tip.

Rule 1: You do not talk about Fight Club. Rule 2: You do not talk about Fight Club.
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

When I worked as a cashier at this restaurant, generally, customers that ordered take out does not tip... Except for those few rare ones(usually the regulars) that tip like 1 or 2bux..
Posted via RS Mobile
.darlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
^ Yea if its a restaurant I usually go to and the people kinda know me. Then I'd leave the change or if the change is very little, I'd throw in a toonie or something. Other than that, no tip.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #6

I never tip for takeout.
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I've never tipped for takeout. There is no need, as they haven't really provided a service.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,359 Times in 382 Posts
I have this dilemma all the time, but I guess it makes more sense not to? After all, getting takeout from a restaurant is pretty much the same as buying fast food, the server is simply acting as a cashier... and I suppose its the norm to typically not tip fast food cashiers?
ShanghaiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

tip n. 1. A small sum of money given to someone for performing a service; a gratuity.

Handing you food is not actually considered performing a service.

/thread.
WHEYsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Hmm, I tip during takeout because for some reason it feels like its still a service to serve you and give you the menu and be nice.

Well also in my point of view if I was a server the most i will look forward to is the tip not the 8-10$ an hour.

But I also factor in that asian owned places keeps a big % of the tip where a Caucasian owned restaurant will split it with the other servers which seems more fair so I will usually tip more at a Caucasian owned restaurant
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 PM   #11
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Nope.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:19 PM   #12
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
Hmm, I tip during takeout because for some reason it feels like its still a service to serve you and give you the menu and be nice.

Well also in my point of view if I was a server the most i will look forward to is the tip not the 8-10$ an hour.

But I also factor in that asian owned places keeps a big % of the tip where a Caucasian owned restaurant will split it with the other servers which seems more fair so I will usually tip more at a Caucasian owned restaurant
Do you tip when you go to McDonalds or BK? I don't tip when I order take out and like others have said it's because they didn't "serve" you. I called or walked in, ordered, grabbed my shiet and left. The only "serving" they did was taking my order and handing me my food which is no different from McDonalds. Sometimes I'll tell them to keep the change even if it happens to be $1 or $2 though.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Do you tip when you go to McDonalds or BK? I don't tip when I order take out and like others have said it's because they didn't "serve" you. I called or walked in, ordered, grabbed my shiet and left. The only "serving" they did was taking my order and handing me my food which is no different from McDonalds. Sometimes I'll tell them to keep the change even if it happens to be $1 or $2 though.
I do understand this part and it makes sense, but do McDonald workers get tip overall from the restaurant? Where a restaurant has tip added to their pay?

and I look at it as... depends what kind of service you get, McDonalds have terrible service because usually its high school students who are just doing this as a part time where servers a lot of time are out of highschool.

But in the end it depends where you get takeout like pearl castle compared to Glowbal or something like that.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #14

btw actually I have tipped at BK before because there is a tip line if you pay credit card.

if the meal is $5.32 I would just round it up to $6.00

and McDonalds no because paying by credit card does not require signing.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:38 PM   #15
I am grateful grapefruit

I hate going to Karaoke here because they automatically assume they deserve a tip - even if you don't have any food or drinks. Sorry, but setting up a karaoke room does not mean I should tip you.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:20 PM   #16
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

^yeah karaoke places can suck it. they think they deserve tip.

but for takeout, no tip.
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:34 PM   #17
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Never, if you're gonna tip for take out might as well tip the people working at McDonalds that work hard and only make less than what they deserve

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:46 PM   #18
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I dont tip take out for the same reasons as above. I would hate it to see tipping in takeout to become a non-optional social gesture just like how so many things headed that direction
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:49 PM   #19
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
I don't tip someone for a job a can do myself, I can and do cut my own hair, I do however tip my neurologist, because I am unable to pulvarize my own kidney stones. (whoever sources quote gets a thanks)
Posted via RS Mobile
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2010, 08:52 PM   #20
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
I hate going to Karaoke here because they automatically assume they deserve a tip - even if you don't have any food or drinks. Sorry, but setting up a karaoke room does not mean I should tip you.
never understood why karaoke deserves a fucking tip

i think 7 eleven cashier deserves a tip for getting me a hot dog and a pack of smoke

macdicks drive thru deserves a tip for bringing my food to the window so i can grab
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:59 PM   #21
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Karoke is pretty retarded..

Doesn't K-Mix recommend you to pay 10% tip or require you to or something. I think theres a paper taped on the front desk that says something on the lines of that

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 PM   #22
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
I wouldn't tip for takeout...

I mean the restaurant is already saving money by not having you take up a table and server's time for the meal...
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:16 PM   #23
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

The reason I never tip on takeout is because at any legit restaurant the servers will not tip out based on take out orders. The managers will wave the amount off their of their final bill even if a server rings the order through on their account. I could partially understand if a server had to tip out on take out orders, but they don't, so their restaurant is essentially telling you do not tip.
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #24
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
I've never tipped for takeout. There is no need, as they haven't really provided a service.
Oh, so the hard working people in the kitchen did nothing? They just conjured your food by waving a magic wand?

I don't know about other places, but Japanese owned restaurants where I have worked gave about 30~35% of the tip to the kitchen staff.

Granted, I don't tip as much for take-out, but I will leave at least 10% when I do a take-out at my usual places.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 AM   #25

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
Oh, so the hard working people in the kitchen did nothing? They just conjured your food by waving a magic wand?

I don't know about other places, but Japanese owned restaurants where I have worked gave about 30~35% of the tip to the kitchen staff.

Granted, I don't tip as much for take-out, but I will leave at least 10% when I do a take-out at my usual places.
They are doing their job which they are getting paid for.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: