REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 02-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

parking at UBC for free?

Hey guys, do u guys know where u can park for free on campus where u have a low chance of being ticketed? Parking at ubc is so pricy and taking the bus takes way too long. Do u guys know about their parking rules like how many tickets until they tow your car? Do u guys also by any chance know what time those ticketing officers get off? Cause the parking acess office closes at 4 30 so I'm not sure if they stop ticketing people after 4 30. Any input would be nice guys!! Thanks in advance!!
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/parki...ht=parking+ubc
http://www.revscene.net/forums/ubc-p...ht=parking+ubc
http://www.revscene.net/forums/ubc-p...ht=parking+ubc

could of searched
Old 02-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the help but these threads are not very updated, as ubc parking rules have changed. I'm looking for advices that are up to date and is more interested if anyone know where we can park and get away with it without being ticket because I am sure there are some areas on UBC where they dunt patrol as much. Thanks tho!
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,950 Times in 585 Posts
Just park off campus and bus in. Theres plenty of free parking on 4th where the bus stop is.
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCubed View Post
Just park off campus and bus in. Theres plenty of free parking on 4th where the bus stop is.
think hes looking to find parking on ubc campus where he can get away with parking for free, pretty sure he knows that he can park at 4th and bus the way there. By any chance, i would like to know also. I'm sure there must be some hidden places on campus where we can get away with not paying. I've always wondered if the parking control office by the health science closing at 4 30 would mean that there would be no one ticketing after that. Anyone know?
king_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Tickets are given by security and they are 24/7...

As for free parking - Marine Drive near the beach?
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
All along Marine from Totem to Vanier is the only place with free parking AFAIK.

And I think for the smaller lots, the ticketing people stop coming around at ~6:30-ish (don't quote me on that), because I've left my car at the Cheeze parking lot a few times for hours in the evening/late night without being ticketed.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
Tickets are given by security and they are 24/7...

As for free parking - Marine Drive near the beach?
Posted via RS Mobile
I don't think the parking violation tickets were given by UBC security. UBC has its own "UBCpark" diviision.

I doubt they give out tickets 24/7 .They rarely patrol the lots after 7pm. [If you have night classes, it might help ]

Depends on what you are coming from, you could park on 41st Ave @ SW marine Drive. That's what I had been doing [not anymore lol]

Tips for the OP: There's something you could do at any ICBC insurance brokers that costs $18.
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cococly View Post
I don't think the parking violation tickets were given by UBC security. UBC has its own "UBCpark" diviision.

I doubt they give out tickets 24/7 .They rarely patrol the lots after 7pm. [If you have night classes, it might help ]

Depends on what you are coming from, you could park on 41st Ave @ SW marine Drive. That's what I had been doing [not anymore lol]

Tips for the OP: There's something you could do at any ICBC insurance brokers that costs $18.
haha i know abt the $18 at icbc, i keep wondering what time do they stop towing ppl? cause say if the parking access office closes at 4 30, where the hell do u go pick up your car if its closed lol? so i am guessin they stop towing after 4 30. Am i correct?
king_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:38 AM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_2011 View Post
I'm sure there must be some hidden places on campus where we can get away with not paying.
won't be so hidden if all RS members start leaving their cars there. Anyways i know there's that new roadway built few month or two..maybe try streetparking if they haven't put up the signs yet (i think it's thunderbird by wesbrook mall)
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #11
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:

Parking lots in UBC are enforced by UBC Parking and Access Control Services. Although they claim to enforce parking 24/7, they are basically non-existent between 8pm to 8am (except for midterm and final periods where they will patrol until 10pm-11pm).

If you want to park in campus for free, you can park by SW Marine on the curbside (but they are usually taken after 8:30am). If you go to class in the afternoon, try one of the B Lots and buy a ticket off someone else when they leave.

As for the $18 license plate, it only works if the person doesn't have the flexpass registered. If the car is registered in the flexpass database, the infraction will stay with the person who registers it. Even if the infraction is done before you register to the database, you will be pegged for it when you register your student number and license plate. It will trace back to any unpaid infraction and tag it to your account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_2011 View Post
haha i know abt the $18 at icbc, i keep wondering what time do they stop towing ppl? cause say if the parking access office closes at 4 30, where the hell do u go pick up your car if its closed lol? so i am guessin they stop towing after 4 30. Am i correct?
Parking Access Office by Health Parkade closes at 4:30, but that only means you can get your car back until 4:30pm. If they tow it at 5pm, you can get your car the next day (after you paid your fine). UBC uses Busters to tow your car to their impound. They operate 24/7 so don't try your luck.
Sp0r3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2011, 02:34 AM   #12

thanks for ur input, u seem pretty familiar with ubc parking haha. Do u know how many tickets u hv to get before they can tow u? is it say 2 tickets and ur towed on ur 3rd? Does it matter if you have to have 2 tickets from the same lot or jus 2 tickets on UBC campus before they can tow u? thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp0r3 View Post
Parking lots in UBC are enforced by UBC Parking and Access Control Services. Although they claim to enforce parking 24/7, they are basically non-existent between 8pm to 8am (except for midterm and final periods where they will patrol until 10pm-11pm).

If you want to park in campus for free, you can park by SW Marine on the curbside (but they are usually taken after 8:30am). If you go to class in the afternoon, try one of the B Lots and buy a ticket off someone else when they leave.

As for the $18 license plate, it only works if the person doesn't have the flexpass registered. If the car is registered in the flexpass database, the infraction will stay with the person who registers it. Even if the infraction is done before you register to the database, you will be pegged for it when you register your student number and license plate. It will trace back to any unpaid infraction and tag it to your account.

Parking Access Office by Health Parkade closes at 4:30, but that only means you can get your car back until 4:30pm. If they tow it at 5pm, you can get your car the next day (after you paid your fine). UBC uses Busters to tow your car to their impound. They operate 24/7 so don't try your luck.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post
thanks for ur input, u seem pretty familiar with ubc parking haha. Do u know how many tickets u hv to get before they can tow u? is it say 2 tickets and ur towed on ur 3rd? Does it matter if you have to have 2 tickets from the same lot or jus 2 tickets on UBC campus before they can tow u? thanks in advance!

Before that stupid accountant sue UBC parking services, it used to be 7/8 tickets before your car is getting towed.

However, nowadays, it's about 3 or 4. I just used up my quota

Last edited by cococly; 02-02-2011 at 10:16 AM.
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Before that stupid accountant sue UBC parking services, it used to be 7/8 tickets before your car is getting towed.

However, nowadays, it's about 3 or 4. I just used up my quota
How sure about this are u? I heard that u get towed on ur 3rd ticket on the spot, can anyone clarify this?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Make some friends in residence.

I park for free, 5 min walk to class everyday.
Nechako87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nechako87 View Post
Make some friends in residence.

I park for free, 5 min walk to class everyday.
Which residence do u park at and where is your class (5 mins walk)? Do u think those ticketing officers check residence parking?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #17
フルコンボ

After 6PM Impark lot 1694 (Shoppers drug mart) is not patrolled.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2011, 02:11 AM   #18

Quote:
After 6PM Impark lot 1694 (Shoppers drug mart) is not patrolled.
U know of any places close to like buchanan, koerner library or irving k barber? Some where at least near class rooms or common places?
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #19
フルコンボ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post
U know of any places close to like buchanan, koerner library or irving k barber? Some where at least near class rooms or common places?
Posted via RS Mobile
Getting a bit greedy seeing that youre looking for free parking, eh?
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #20
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

its always the same guy ticketing ppl.... in his smart car.. basically he checks every 2-3 hours in each parking lot. If you get lucky and see him coming by.. pay for like 10-15 mins and u should be good for at least 2 hours as they dont check very often. Never park at bookstore and not pay tho its easiest to get caught there. and u can park for free anywhere if its snowing they don't check or cant cause u cant even see the numbers on the ground to pay. And i don't know anymore "secret" free spots that u can get away with 100% of the time anymore. Basically last year I parked for free everyday for the whole term while only getting 2 tickets. few spots are near the apts by buch to give u a hint... dont think u can park there anymore though due to construction..
Gee.Tee.Ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Getting a bit greedy seeing that youre looking for free parking, eh?
Haha greedy but we dunt want ubc ripping us off cause the parking is so overpriced LOL.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee.Tee.Ar View Post
its always the same guy ticketing ppl.... in his smart car.. basically he checks every 2-3 hours in each parking lot. If you get lucky and see him coming by.. pay for like 10-15 mins and u should be good for at least 2 hours as they dont check very often. Never park at bookstore and not pay tho its easiest to get caught there. and u can park for free anywhere if its snowing they don't check or cant cause u cant even see the numbers on the ground to pay. And i don't know anymore "secret" free spots that u can get away with 100% of the time anymore. Basically last year I parked for free everyday for the whole term while only getting 2 tickets. few spots are near the apts by buch to give u a hint... dont think u can park there anymore though due to construction..
Did u end up paying the 2 tickets?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #23

I always wondered if they still ticket u if its raining really hard (pouring) cause once they ticket is placed even with the envelope, the rain may smudge off. Or becomes pulp. I noticed that the paper is waxy so I'm not sure if it'll become pulpy after the rain.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #24

I always wondered if they still ticket u if its raining really hard (pouring) cause once they ticket is placed even with the envelope, the rain may smudge off. Or becomes pulp. I noticed that the paper is waxy so I'm not sure if it'll become pulpy after the rain.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #25
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
I'm pretty sure they put it in a plastic envelope thing.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote