REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 09-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #76
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,169 Times in 249 Posts
^yeah heard that too

atleast nokia promised to continue software support for the n9 meego

Nokia promises continued software support for N9 - GSMArena.com news

constant software support from nokia based on customer feedback + android working apps(i hope). seems worth it

im ordering mine when the hype dies down a bit..might be $50 cheaper by then (i hope, like the n8)
Advertisement
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #77
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Will nokia release wp7 model as sexy as this N9? loved it but worry about meego's longivity in smartphone market
Old 09-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #78
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzz786786 View Post
im ordering mine when the hype dies down a bit..might be $50 cheaper by then (i hope, like the n8)
Same. However, I'm having a hard time deciding on whether I should hold off on ordering the Nokia E6 first (I'm using an E71.) Different phones but in the end, the OS and technology are significantly different.

What do you say, StylinRed?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:49 AM   #79
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzz786786 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Same. However, I'm having a hard time deciding on whether I should hold off on ordering the Nokia E6 first (I'm using an E71.) Different phones but in the end, the OS and technology are significantly different.

What do you say, StylinRed?
Supposedly the N9 is limited to 90,000ish units its from a guy who sometimes has reliable intel on Nokia and also a lot of times has BS so who knows?

But considering the limited release its believed that if there is a limited stock its merely for the 1st batch but that would still mean its going to be hard to get the N9 without waiting forever

I've got my preorder @ expansys but who knows when they'll get them in? (as they dont even have a price up yet) it's not going to replace my N8 mind you

and to dukes about the e6 we talked already in chat the E6 is still a great phone extremely dense Pixels per Inch; 2nd brightest screen 900nits thats like 2X the Iphone4 (the Nokia 701 is the brightest screen out there 1000nits)
its going to be getting Belle which is "almost revolutionary" according to GSMArena

and the E6 is a lot cheaper than the N9

only downside with the phone as we discussed is updates which are already slow for Symbian are even slower for the E6 because of the 'out of norm' resolution
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
Will nokia release wp7 model as sexy as this N9? loved it but worry about meego's longivity in smartphone market
supposedly the Nokia SeaRay (the WP7 that looks like the N9) will be delayed until next year
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:19 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Is there a run tracker for MeeGo like Strava or Endomondo? This is kind of a dealbreaker for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
eCoach is available currently (was available on Maemo/N900 and the developer made a new version for the N9) it seems to use endomondo.com (i see ecoach users uploading their workout to endomondo.com on meego forum) works with the heart rate monitors etc too costs $3
eCoach (he hasnt updated his webpage though)
Nokia Store: Download eCoach and many other games, wallpaper, ringtones and mobile apps on your Nokia phone

and as i understand it Sports Tracker is in beta stages for the N9 (hearsay)

and that's now been confirmed

Sportstracker for the N9

to be released in November confirmed by Sportstracker themselves Sports Tracker heading for Meego and Nokia N9$|$Sports Tracker

FYI the app is made with QT so the Symbian Sports Tracker should be updated with the N9s version too

as for eCoach i thought id show some screenshots too

Spoiler!

Last edited by StylinRed; 09-29-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #81

I know the OS is very cpu demanding, but will N9's hardware spec hurt its sale or resale value?, I mean I love the phone but my old nexus one has similar hardware and that is like 15 month ago.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #82

^it's Linux based OS requires very little hardware specs to run smooth. I remember a nokia rep was saying that it could run up to 100 apps at once

If this phone gets nothing but good reviews once its out to the public, then I think the rarity of this phone will give it a high resale value
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
I know the OS is very cpu demanding, but will N9's hardware spec hurt its sale or resale value?, I mean I love the phone but my old nexus one has similar hardware and that is like 15 month ago.
people who have the dev phone (n950) have had 50+ apps running without issue

one thing about nokia phones be it symbian or maemo is their os's are very well optimized so they aren't demanding on the hardware

Side note VLC Player is available for the N9 now
Old 09-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #84

China has a KIRF with your choice of UI

dual sim; 1.3mpx camera though

about 450yuan
Old 09-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
people who have the dev phone (n950) have had 50+ apps running without issue

one thing about nokia phones be it symbian or maemo is their os's are very well optimized so they aren't demanding on the hardware

Side note VLC Player is available for the N9 now
N9 is to me a NSX with old tech but capable in the year of 2011 where any sports car has more under its hood than old NSX.

p.s Nokia should pay you to be their spokes person. You have converted me to put N9 in my wishlist.

Last edited by wasabisashimi; 09-30-2011 at 03:40 PM.
wasabisashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #86

Old 10-01-2011, 02:01 AM   #87

oh in case u guys are wondering about games aside from the ones already shown

Unity Games announced they'd be developing their games for the N9 and porting their old ones

highlight reel of their games
Old 10-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #88

So this next bit of news goes for Symbian as well (the N8 E6 C7 X7 etc etc etc) but since App support is a bigger concern for the N9 i thought i would put it in here

Nokia has released a QT API Mapping tool for iOS/Android/WP so that developers can easily port their apps on those other platforms to work in QT and as a result be available for Symbian and MeeGo/Maemo devices

now you might be thinking well it will still depend on developers to want to port their apps over

this is true however with the news that Developers are getting 160% more business from The Nokia Store (previously OVI store) than they are iTunes more developers are attracted to Nokia and now they can easily bring their apps over

Qt API Mapping Tool
Qt API Mapping Tool
Qt API Mapping Tool

we've heard of Alien Dalvik etc before but they didn't really take off and kind of died out before hitting "shelves"

Last edited by StylinRed; 10-06-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #89

web browsing test between iphone 4 and nokia n9

Old 10-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #90
RS Veteran

StylinRed,

You are a jerk. I want this N9 more than ever now.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 10-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #91

gsmarena just got the phone, there gonna do a full hands on review
Old 10-08-2011, 04:52 AM   #92

lol

a guy is developing a music player app for ppl who like more options its almost ready apparetly and he'll be porting it to other OS's im guessing Symbian since its in QT and maybe android etc

Old 10-09-2011, 01:38 AM   #93

you can also pre-order the N9 from Negri in the States

I never heard about them but a few people say they pre-ordered from them

but the pricing is a bit high on that site especially for the black one
Noks are usually cheaper in North America than elsewhere, going by this pricing it'd be cheaper to order the phone from Australia; Hell it'd be cheaper to order from Europe

Last edited by StylinRed; 10-09-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #94

user performance tests

Nokia N9 Performance Test Roundup

scratch test

CAF example

EmuMaster emulator app all-in-one

this guy is doing a slow overview of everything in the phone these are just the first couple of a lot of videos he'll be making

his phone is farting here, on the next video, or struggling i dunno might be due to all the apps he has open etc etc (but he only has 21 apps open could just be stability issues with his social app cuz he says his other apps arent lagging nor is the system) edit: ah didnt notice he had some resource heavy apps running guess that kind of explains it but the reviewer feels that there is also some App/Software optimization needed
edit: he re-did the tests without the games running in the background (any apps for that matter) to show how well things are handled and its great but his video is completely out of focus so i didnt link it

new video mainly about the games included

he ends up having like all the games running in the background and there's no real lag issues as he moves on progressively so that leads me to believe that facebook app had some issues maybe because it was the first time running the app

GSMArena preliminary testing of the N9
http://blog.gsmarena.com/nokia-n9-do...e-charge-test/

Not certain if the li-ion battery was cycled or not (supposedly they need a breaking-in period?)

But GSMArena stopped the video playback when the battery had 10% charge left

side note though since Iphone doesn't support divx the video file was optimized through iTunes so im not sure how accurate the testing can be

Last edited by StylinRed; 10-12-2011 at 05:04 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:25 AM   #95

Pleaes ask Rogers to carry it.>....drools
Old 10-11-2011, 02:43 AM   #96

^^ doubt that'll happen

Nokia wants to keep Symbian/Maemo out of North America and just bring Windows Phone devices

only way would be to buy em unlocked
Old 10-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #97

GSMArena Review Nokia N9 review: Once in a lifetime - GSMArena.com

1st page of review for the lazy
Spoiler!

and

"3500 improvements coming to Nokia N9" in the Firmware update that's being worked on now (from one of the guys responsible for getting the N9 out)
Thoughts: N9 on sale in Finland ... and a few other things

Last edited by StylinRed; 10-14-2011 at 10:20 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #98

SGS2 VS N9 browser

camera compare between a sony digi cam and the n9 + e7

Google
Old 10-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #99

Soo.. remember Vlad from Engadget? and the whole crew who always dissed Nokia like they were being paid by Apple? and how Vlad near his end @ Engadget (hmm..) was in love with the Nokia N9?

Well he's on a new website now with Ex-Engadget employees and he's just reviewed the N9

Nokia N9 review | This is my next...

it's a very long review so im not going to cut and paste it all just his conclusion but its mainly praise

Quote:
The N9 is flawed and doomed, but you have to understand, I don’t care. The universal experience of using this phone is one of delight and desire. Yes, it can get bamboozled and freeze up, and no, you won’t be finding an avalanche of awesome new apps for it, but those downsides fade in comparison to the abundance of positives. The Harmattan UI is fresh, slick, and as natural as anything the smartphone world has yet introduced, while the physical design is unmatched. Not even the shiny new iPhone 4S feels as luxurious in the hand as the N9.

I started off by comparing Nokia’s latest handset to a supercar and the parallels run deep. Like Italy’s finest mechanical produce, the N9 won’t be found in many shops, has a tendency to break down, and inspires an emotional rather than pragmatical response. There’s an added underdog charm in knowing it has been discarded by its maker and deemed unworthy to carry the Nokia crown. I’m unwilling to describe that decision as a mistake until I’ve seen Nokia’s Windows Phone range that will be introduced later this month, but one thing’s for sure: the N9 has delivered on Nokia’s promises of 2010. It’s just a shame that the Nokia of 2011 didn’t believe in itself enough to see them through.

Score: 7.9 / 10
Pros:

Utterly gorgeous
Innovative, fresh UI
Quick camera operation

Cons:

Doomed ecosystem
Old processor
Unstable software
as for the Cons in regards to the "unstable software" we've already heard from knottori that there's a 3500+ improvement firmware update coming

and if you're wondering how long will it be before we see that? well the N950 developer edition of the N9 just got an update
Old 10-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #100
RS Veteran

Nokia