REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 06-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #26
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas View Post
I haven't had a chance to play with it yet but will do so tomorrow (at CommunicAsia). Looking forward to getting back into a Nokia. Loved my E71. Hate my X10, Berry is good for work.
Ah, yes. The E71.

I love my phone but sadly, it's at a point beyond normal use (i.e. wear and tear, excessive use, physical damage etc.)

I'd love to replace it with the E6, it being the E72 successor. The E5 and E7 don't really tickle my fancy nor do the N series, however, I would give the N9 a shot given its price and availability.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #27
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,169 Times in 249 Posts
i wish they would have cellphone demo's in bc, that would rock, then we can get first hand look and experience all these new innovative phones
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #28
sas
I bringith the lowerballerith

About to hit the Nokia booth. Docomo is pretty big, surprised that Samsung and LG aren't here.
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #29

^ please ost up a video of it, see if the phone can function in landscape mode
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #30
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
So

It looks like the love and fanfare that the N9 and MeeGo brought is disconcerting for Stephen Elop (Hell even Vlad from Engadget is in love with the N9)

So Elop had to hold a display of Nokias Windows Phone (WP7 installed on an N9) today
with "no videos" allowed except for the obvious nokia cameraman filming the whole hoopla and uploading it online

also a Finnish newspaper supposedly stating (bad google translation) that the N9 would be the last MeeGo device and its WP all the way

you can watch the 20min video here at the bottom if ur interested
http://www.technet.hu/telefon/201106...dowsos_nokiat/

this is somewhat confirmed because the N9 WP device doesnt have windows phone buttons either and so the demo the Finnish guy gave was straight from his netbook/laptop

Last edited by StylinRed; 06-23-2011 at 08:59 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #31

A blast of Video links from this 1 guy who's been playing with the N9 quite extensively

Just an fyi the processor used in the N9 is like over a year old

if you're like "so what?" it just shows how un-demanding MeeGo is on the hardware (like Symbian is known for)

this guy has music over all his videos might get annoying after awhile

and of course angry birds + how you can stop in the middle to make a phone call with the swype function

This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #32
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

elop is trying to sabotages its own sale/company.. what CEO in the effing right mind would "leak" it own prototype "confidential" product, 2days after N9 announcement?

but seriously WP7 UI pale in comparison to Meego-harmattan UI. WP7 already look like decade old with those ugly DOS like tiles.
RR33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #33
sas
I bringith the lowerballerith

The E6 is secs..

Curious if it could replace my BB and how it would sync up with MS CRM and other functions. Be great if work would figure out a way to be able to support the E6. I did play with the N9 and the touch is very responsive and feels like a solid unit. BB also had the 9900 but alot of attention was on the playbook since it was launching in SG that week.

Last edited by sas; 06-24-2011 at 09:43 PM.
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:55 AM   #34

So
Quote:
According to Colin Giles, Nokia’s Executive VP of Sales, the Nokia N9 16GB will retail for 660USD whilst the 64GB will go for 749USD.
Now this was announced in Singapore (odd that they would use USD) and its unknown if that price includes local VAT etc

but we all know Nokias MSRP is always far higher than what Amazon etc charges

Another interesting point to note

It sounds like the N9 will be getting released quite close to the same time that Nokias WP7 devices gets released

And SO the N9 release will be Delayed @ any of the WP7 Launch countries

you can check for availability @ this site

http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...k-availability

release date: not sure sounds like it will be closer to October

couple images

lol the N8 looks huuuge and i already find it too thin

screen compared with the galaxy s

GSM Arenas review
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n9-review-610.php

sample of a Settings option that allows you to throw the phone into developer mode (so you can download install anything from anywhere rather than only the store etc)

Last edited by StylinRed; 06-25-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #35
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....Nokia.

Why you so stupid.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #36

Well what the bloggers and some nok reps are trying to tell you now

is that What you see on this Harmattan that you love so much (ui usability etc) is because of QT and Not MeeGO because the N9 is not a Meego Device (its maemo thats compatible somewhat with meego)

and what you see and love in QT is going to be ported into S40 (nokias dumb phone line) and S40 devices are getting 1ghz chips

So in the future, another year or 2? if all things go well

You'll see N9 like devices running on the S40 line

what others are assuming is that Elop is saying there won't be anymore Harmattan devices and not MeeGo devices
Old 06-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #37

^i dont get it

so the nokia n9 that we see on videos and what not won't be the phone we are expecting?
Old 06-26-2011, 06:10 AM   #38

what no, no

what they're saying is everything that we think is really awesome in the N9 isn't because of MeeGo (because the N9 isn't meego its Harmattan)

Everything that we feel is "cool" "awesome" is because of what they coded with QT

So what Nokia hopes everyone believes is that you won't care about no more Harmattan/MeeGo devices in the future and instead support QT on S40 (because they're going to attempt to make their S40 line look/feel like the N9s UX)
Old 06-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #39

engadget gushes over the n9 in their podcast

http://mobile.engadget.com/2011/06/2...93-06-25-2011/

a snippet of the gushing... its actually kind of odd since its coming from Vlad #1 anti-Nokian

Quote:
Here’s some of the things they talked about. All the Nokia stuff has scored a whopping 35 minutes of Engadget podcast time that we might talk about again at another time. For now, here’s their reactions again to the Nokia N9.

Vlad – N9 – how surprising, it is Nokia’s MeeGo phone. It was supposed to be the big one, and it turned out to be the big one. Often the end result is not as good as the promise.
Myriam – we agree – it’s mind blogglingly deliciously awesome.
Vlad – Good things are numerous – physical design is excellent, but superior to N8 (already a very well designed phone).
Myriam – I don’t think you’re doing it justice there Vlad. This is the MOTHER of all phones. This is the design of the gods. This is IT, like NOTHING comes close to this. This blows everybody’s minds out of the universe. NOW that is an intro for the N9.
Vlad – Polycarbonate – plastic – but still feels a cut above those plastic phones.
Vlad – There’s pink for girls, blue for boys and a black for classy people. The black one blows the other two out of the water. It is so slick and sophisticated, it is just so beautiful. Like honestly if you put a Vertu branding on it, I would be like, ‘finally, Vertu has a phone worthy of those 10,000USD price tags’. It is fantastic, the black one.
Vlad – Thinking about this now, Nokia should totally do this. Don’t call it N9, call it Vertu MeeGo phone s Vertu owners don’t expect an ecosystem, just a kickass, sophisticated, stylish phone and this is exactly whta the N9 is. It’s extremely beautiful to look at and shockingly because Nokia hasn’t done this in years, once you turn it on, it’s STILL beautiful to look at, it’s still awesome, you still want to touch it and use it.
Vlad -The way Nokia’s put it together, it’s interface – and this is specific to Nokia – this isn’t the MeeGo interface, this is Nokia’s Harmattan UI on top of MeeGo. It’s fantastic and the responsiveness is fantastic and it’s just a pleasure to use. I really want to go back to Nokia’s offices and pick up a couple of these phones so I can play with them, and it’s so rare.
Myriam: Vlad is Jaded guys, if he’s excited about stuff, this has got to be good.
Vlad -General point – Nokia has really nailed it in terms of hardware and software.
Vlad – Admittedly only used it for an hour so haven’t teted how good the browser is, how good the email client is which are fundamental to smartphone users. There are still unanswered questions. But what we saw in terms of interface, organizing user smartphone in physical design was top notch
Vlad – I need to say this – the AMOLED screen on this phone is just GORGEOUS. Gorilla glass screen and it’s curved, it melts of meets the physical bits is beautiful, if feels fantastic when you’re holding it and touching it and the itnerface plays right into that because it’s all black and you have the menus – the animation of the menus make them look like they’re popping out at you.
Myriam – so what you’re saying is that looking at this phone’s screen is like looking into the eyes of God?
Vlad – Yes, pretty much.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #40
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
Do you have angry birds on your iPhone?

no I dont have an Iphone, its a Nokia- something something something

Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #41

angry birds is on nokia phones.....

all the major games/apps are on nokia phones
Old 06-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #42

^most are free too
Old 06-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #43

Screen compares ip4/sgs2 (gsm arena has said that the n9 screen is bordering on perfection; and vlad from engadget says its understating it if you say its like looking into the eyes of god)

looking @ the pics you can't really tell i guess but those reviews have me wanting to handle an n9 irl

sample photos from nokia used to demonstrate the lens ratios (so they've been scaled down)

Last edited by StylinRed; 06-27-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #44

Damian Dinning the camera guru behind the N8 etc talks about the N9s camera here
http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/...ia-n9-imaging/

The N9 takes 3:4 shots too

sample photos from nokia used to demonstrate the lens ratios (so they've been scaled down)

This is to compare what the lens captures as compared to other "competitor devices"

The highlighted blue areas are the extra portions the N9 captures

and not sure if ive mentioned this but the N9s aperture is set to f2.2 (as opposed to 2.8 on the N8) so its supposed to be better in Low Light conditions "largest aperture in any mobile device" and most digi cams

and from the article about the N8 vs N9

Quote:
Given the extremely positive reaction to our image optimisation approach with the Nokia N8, we’ve tried to get as close to that as we can with the N9: natural detail with little/no sharpening, little/no noise reduction (in good lighting at least) with punchy but not oversaturated colour. I’ve had a lot of people in the last few days ask me about which is best, the N8’s camera or the new one in the N9. I think the N8 can still retain its crown as world’s best camera smartphone given it’s all-round performance is so good, but given the N9’s camera is 70% [!] smaller, I think the team have done a really great job in getting as close as they have. In fact, for some people, in some situations, you may prefer the Nokia N9. We’ll share some sample images with you all very soon.
and the image editor on the N9 allows you to undo changes (to the original) even months after editing
Nokia calls it 'non-destructive editing'

Quote:
The Nokia N9 provides the ability to edit images on the device using a set of popular editing options but whilst being able to go back even months later to the original with just one click. This is really powerful, and for many, completely removes the PC from the traditional imaging chain.

Also

Quote:
Another tidbit on the camera side of the N9. Camera architecture on the N9 is OPEN. Meaning that 3rd party camera apps and RAW access is possible later on.
And the lack of a shutter button (what nokia is known for) isn't there on the N9 and they didn't bother mapping the shutter button to a Key (like the volume keys) however James Wiike says that since the programming is open someone could find a way to map the shutter to a key and make an app for it or an update etc

Last edited by StylinRed; 06-27-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #45

The Browser on the N9 scored 283(14 bonus) on the HTML5 test

Higher than Safari on the Ipad2, GalaxyS2, and higher than my firefox on the desktop -_-

http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/...g-the-browser/

Flash is available in the N9 just not the deafult browser and Landscape Homescreens too

Quote:
originally posted by Konttori Coach for Harmattan Applications Framework

Fash is supported in fennec, but not in the default browser. We wanted to keep a clear differentiation between "desktop" -alike browsing and mobile browsing. Default browser focuses entirely in one handed use and relaxed browsing, where as fennec just does it all and acts like a desktop browser (tabs and all)

Landscape home is not available as default. You will need to install a theme that pretty much just inherits the default theme and overrides one property. I'm sure that will be available on sales start.
Fennec is Firefox btw it'll be a Full Desktop browser on the N9

Last edited by StylinRed; 06-29-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #46

Official sample photos from the Prototype N9

http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/...photo-gallery/

Oh and the N9 is probably not the last Meego device; in an interview with a Nok rep the rep stressed that the N9 is the only Meego device This year http://moconews.net/article/419-a-fi...ot-a-dead-end/

Last edited by StylinRed; 06-29-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #47

Landscape mode was left out on the reveal (for Homescreens)

and Techs subsequently said it Could be available if someone made a theme for it

but now it looks like Nokia Techs decided to include landscape homescreen mode anyway
MeeGo-Harmattan N9 Homescreen in landscape – N9 to get years of support and several software updates. : My Nokia Blog

On the developer phone atm (N950)

and here's a Hands-On (images) of the N950 (developer phone sans the latest landscape mode)

N950 hands-on: Nokia, please take my money! : My Nokia Blog
Old 07-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #48
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
what does it mean it has "Wifi Hotspot"? (quoting from GSMarena's review, in the connectivity section)
Old 07-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #49

I imagine its the ability to turn the phone into a wifi-hotspot (wireless tethering) its available in all the current Symbian phones too through Joikuspot

here's another hands on

Also Nokia has held a competition to win a Nokia N9 they're giving away 20 of them so far they've already given away 12 -_-

anyhow you enter codes into this page Nokia

and if you get the right one you win a phone

what codes? well Nokia has made several 9 second long commercials to advertise the N9 and you pick up a string of numbers/letters that you gain from watching the ads (rather hard)

by the time i got to the contest everyone i figured out was already claimed or the codes were entered in a different order that i tried

anyhow if anyones still interested there's still 8 phones available to win

the commercials are available here ‪nokia's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

and here's a list of Codes that have already been entered

915914 = Time on the football player’s N9
041434 = Taxi’s distance meter
STEPIN = The 6 hidden letters
HPMHMK = KM/H MPH
850630 = Alarm set on the balerina’s N9
DCA578 = Taxi’s plate
PRND21 = Taxi’s gears
7AM7PM = Road panel
210611 = Date on the football player’s N9
132545 = Time set on the old man’s clock
IRFNOM = MONFRI backwards (was on the sign with 7AM7PM)
436793 = Coordinates of the place (TORONTO)
Old 07-17-2011, 01:41 AM   #50
HELP ME PLS!!!

Great phone, but what does the app support for the N9 look like? How many apps will be there be available? I heard that it could run Android apps?
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote