REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   to novus or not to novus? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/650316-novus-not-novus.html)

jackal 07-24-2011 12:49 AM

to novus or not to novus?

so novus is now offering their full line of servises to my building and i'm wondering if i should switch or just try and milk shaw for free shit to get me to stay?

novus is offering new subscribers in my building crazy deals on 100Mbps internet, free hd pvr's plus they will reprogram my old pvr to work on their network and home phone with more features then i'm getting currently with shaw for a lot less then i'm currently paying? i've also found article from the cbc saying that shaw is doing everything they can to undercut novus' prices and match offers and ish.

so, to novus or not to novus?

novus aparently has really good sutomer service and i havn't found a bad review yet.

Bonjour43MA 07-24-2011 01:18 AM

I love Novus - great customer service, great price, competitive programming packages... no complaints after 1.5 years with them.

AutozamAZ-3 07-24-2011 01:23 AM

shaw doesnt have a very good retentions program from my experience. they rather just let you go. imo, telus has a pretty good retention program. that being said, try negotiating with shaw and if they dont match, switch to novus. you might have better luck than i did.

josayeee 07-24-2011 04:52 AM

go with novus very fast for what you are paying. good customer service. I'm happy with then.
Posted via RS Mobile

Onassis 07-24-2011 05:05 AM

Is novus better in terms of reliability compared to Shaw ? The net keeps on going out on me quite regularly now.

Cillu 07-24-2011 05:11 AM

I've tried Novus at my friends place a long time ago and it was amazing. I would definitely switch to it if I had the chance to.

josayeee 07-24-2011 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onassis (Post 7522476)
Is novus better in terms of reliability compared to Shaw ? The net keeps on going out on me quite regularly now.

I had Shaw when I lived in Richmond. Novus in downtown was definitely more reliable for me. The upside of going to Shaw is that they offer these cheap plans for the first 6 months then after 6 months it's cheaper to go with Novus.

iEatClams 07-24-2011 07:37 AM

^ so is novus primariy for downtown or can we get it say in East Van?

FerrariEnzo 07-24-2011 07:39 AM

if you can get it, GET IT... heard nothing but good about them so far..

sam0m0 07-24-2011 09:26 AM

I've been using novus for a few years now, been going out lately because they just upgraded their service. Slowest speed they offer just got bumped from up 20mbps download to 25mbps and 10mbps upload. Comparing to Shaw, Novus slowest speed (fibrenet20) download is the same speed as Shaw extreme, and Novus upload speed if that is important for you.. is 4x faster than shaw extreme and 2x faster than Shaws higher end Broadband 100.

nns 07-24-2011 10:08 AM

You can see if Novus is available in your building with this: Novus - Defining Digital Culture

Bonjour43MA 07-24-2011 12:15 PM

The only outage I've experienced in the past 1.5 years was a couple weeks ago, when they were upgrading their network to support the bump in bandwidth for all of their subscribers (I was on the 20/10, 110GBs cap plan and it's now 25/10 with a 150GBs cap). I guess if you don't like monthly caps and do download a lot, then you may run into some issues with Novus, as they have hard caps (you can't use the internet if you hit your cap and have to pay first before you can use it again).

Otherwise... no complains with Novus. They matched every single offer that Telus, Rogers, or Shaw had come up with when I called them... Right now I'm paying $28 for Basic HDTV + sports channels HD + 25mbps down/10mbps up internet - can't complain!

lowside67 07-24-2011 01:14 PM

OP, do you live in Brentwood Gate by any chance?

I used to have Novus when I lived in Yaletown and was always very happy with their service, I am looking forward to switching back to Novus.

Mark

Culverin 07-24-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 7522507)
if you can get it, GET IT... heard nothing but good about them so far..

^
This.

Although I've not used them myself, I've not read 1 bad review about them.

Nlkko 07-24-2011 02:03 PM

I have Novus and used to have Shaw before. Novus is definitely better in terms of customer service and speed. And like many other said, their upload speed is crazy.

They did an upgrade few weeks back and that was the only time the net has been out during the day. If it suddenly gets slow or going in and out, you can call their customer service and get it fixed in under 5 minutes and that's not exaggerating.

jackal 07-24-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 7522744)
OP, do you live in Brentwood Gate by any chance?

I used to have Novus when I lived in Yaletown and was always very happy with their service, I am looking forward to switching back to Novus.

Mark

Yes I do :) 703
Posted via RS Mobile

Gt-R R34 07-24-2011 03:27 PM

Does novus have Fairchild TV?

Tim Budong 07-24-2011 03:56 PM

if u live downtown and the building is developed by concord, then 90% sure u have it
I believe Novus is jointly owned by them

nns 07-24-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonjour43MA (Post 7522703)
The only outage I've experienced in the past 1.5 years was a couple weeks ago, when they were upgrading their network to support the bump in bandwidth for all of their subscribers (I was on the 20/10, 110GBs cap plan and it's now 25/10 with a 150GBs cap). I guess if you don't like monthly caps and do download a lot, then you may run into some issues with Novus, as they have hard caps (you can't use the internet if you hit your cap and have to pay first before you can use it again).

Otherwise... no complains with Novus. They matched every single offer that Telus, Rogers, or Shaw had come up with when I called them... Right now I'm paying $28 for Basic HDTV + sports channels HD + 25mbps down/10mbps up internet - can't complain!

The cap is 250 GB, not 150 GB.

ImportPsycho 07-24-2011 04:26 PM

currently on Novus 25mb, home phone, basic cable for $55/m

kkttsang 07-24-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 7522810)
Yes I do :) 703
Posted via RS Mobile

do u guys live in the highrise then fizgareld? cuz i live in the low rise and theres no novus. i heard novus is faster and cheaper too. :(

jackal 07-24-2011 05:13 PM

yeah high rise

Tapioca 07-25-2011 10:04 AM

My building in Burnaby-Brentwood has had Novus for 3 years. There's really no reason not to go to Novus if it's available unless you have issues with a hard cap. I've had only one unannounced service outage during the time I've been with them and that was only about a month ago. As others have mentioned, they're in the process of upgrading their infrastructure, so service outages (announced of course) have been a bit more frequent. They are good at giving you plenty of advance notice when they need to suspend internet service.

drunkrussian 07-25-2011 10:10 AM

from the responses sounds like the answer is "to novice". i dont have novice available in my area and recently switched from shaw to telus and i can only say...i dunno if novice is the best or not...but i do know shaw is the worst >:-(
Posted via RS Mobile

TOPEC 07-25-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkrussian (Post 7523478)
from the responses sounds like the answer is "to novice". i dont have novice available in my area and recently switched from shaw to telus and i can only say...i dunno if novice is the best or not...but i do know shaw is the worst >:-(
Posted via RS Mobile

how is telus for u? did u sign contract? and waht area r u in?
im thinking of switching over to telus since shaw's been crappy for the past few months for me, if i can get novus i will switch to no in a heart beat.