REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:06 AM   #6551
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Came across this and just laughed............. comments below are even better.

Adorable Old Couple Roll Honda, Take Best Picture In Car Wreck History
Advertisement
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #6552
MG1

A long shot, but if you or anyone you know plays the lottery, someone in Langley, or anywhere, for that matter, is 50 million dollars richer. The ticket was purchased 4 months ago in Langley and it has never been claimed.

The winning numbers are: 03, 04, 05, 07, 31, 33, 40 Bonus: 49.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #6553
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

More than half of Vancouver bars may be hosing us with smaller pints: Sun investigation (with video)

I'm being scammed!
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #6554
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
lol ignore the fact that the article is from aol

AOL.com Article - Suspect allegedly orders pizza to police station
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #6555
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
I've always thought it was 16oz to a pint.

Anyways.. businesses will adjust. Either they'll give proper 20oz pints, and likely charge more. Or, they'll just stop using the word pint, and call it a sleeve or glass, or whatever.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #6556
I came, I saw, I conquered.

Why can't he just pour the beer straight into the measuring cup instead of using duct tape/water?
Old 07-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #6557
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,188 Times in 2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
Why can't he just pour the beer straight into the measuring cup instead of using duct tape/water?
Quote:
(Note: pouring the beer directly into the measuring container would create foam and affect the results.)
I just hope the beer didn't go to waste.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #6558
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
obese guy in NY (former city worker) supposedly broke up a fight but NYPD recognize him as someone who sells untaxed cigarettes so they hassle him and it escalates into an arrest which leads to a chokehold where the obese guy keeps saying he can't breathe and finally the obese guy dies

the Chokehold has been banned for use in the NYPD for over 20 years now

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/19/ny...ng-arrest.html

Quote:
The 350-pound man, about to be arrested on charges of illegally selling cigarettes, was arguing with the police. When an officer tried to handcuff him, the man pulled free. The officer immediately threw his arm around the man’s neck and pulled him to the ground, holding him in what appears, in a video, to be a chokehold. The man can be heard saying “I can’t breathe” over and over again as other officers swarm about.

Now, the death of the man, Eric Garner, 43, soon after the confrontation on Thursday on Staten Island, is being investigated by the police and prosecutors. At the center of the inquiry is the officer’s use of a chokehold — a dangerous maneuver that was banned by the New York Police Department more than 20 years ago but that the department cannot seem to be rid of.

“As defined in the department’s patrol guide, this would appear to have been a chokehold,” the police commissioner, William J. Bratton, said at a news conference in City Hall on Friday afternoon.

He referred to police rules that forbid chokeholds and define them as including “any pressure to the throat or windpipe, which may prevent or hinder breathing or reduce intake of air.”

The Civilian Complaint Review Board, an independent city agency that investigates allegations of police abuse, logged 233 allegations involving chokeholds in 2013, making up 4.4 percent of the excessive-force complaints it received. Although only a tiny fraction of the chokehold complaints that the agency receives are ever substantiated, the number of complaints has generally been rising.

A decade ago, when the review board was receiving a comparable number of force complaints, chokehold allegations were less frequent. They made up 2.3 percent of the excessive-force complaints in 2003, and no more than 2.7 percent in 2004.

“My throat was on his forearm,” one man who was arrested in Queens testified in April in an internal police disciplinary proceeding, describing how he “could barely breathe” after an officer allegedly placed him in a chokehold.

It is unclear if the chokehold contributed to the death on Thursday afternoon of Mr. Garner, who was at least 6 feet 3 inches tall and who, friends said, had several health issues: diabetes, sleep apnea, and asthma so severe that he had to quit his job as a horticulturist for the city’s parks department. He wheezed when he talked and could not walk a block without resting, they said.

Nonetheless, the use of a chokehold in subduing a large but unarmed man during a low-level arrest raises for Mr. Bratton the same questions about police training and tactics that he faced 20 years ago, in his first stint as New York City’s police commissioner.

In 1994, the year after the Police Department banned chokeholds, a man named Anthony Baez died in the Bronx after a police officer put him in a chokehold during a dispute over a touch football game.

At City Hall on Friday, Mr. Bratton said he did not believe that the use of chokeholds by police officers in New York City was a widespread problem, saying this was his “first exposure” to the issue since returning as police commissioner in January.

Mayor Bill de Blasio, standing next to Mr. Bratton, said, “Like so many New Yorkers I was very troubled by the video,” referring to a bystander’s recording of the incident, which was posted on the website of The New York Daily News. The two police officers who initially confronted Mr. Garner have been temporarily taken off patrol duty. The police declined to name the officers but said one of them had been on the force for eight years and the other for four years.

Late Friday, the mayor’s office announced that Mr. de Blasio was postponing his family’s departure on a planned vacation to Italy from Friday evening until Saturday. The postponement was to allow Mr. de Blasio to spend more time making calls to elected officials, community leaders and members of the clergy, and talking to the police, about Mr. Garner’s death, the mayor’s press secretary, Phil Walzak, said.

The encounter between Mr. Garner and plainclothes officers, from the 120th Precinct, began after the officers accused Mr. Garner of illegally selling cigarettes, an accusation he was familiar with. He had been arrested more than 30 times, often accused of selling loose cigarettes bought outside the state, a common hustle designed to avoid state and city tobacco taxes. In March and again in May, he was arrested on charges of illegally selling cigarettes on the sidewalk.

For years, Mr. Garner chafed at the scrutiny by the police, which he considered harassment. In 2007, he filed a handwritten complaint in federal court accusing a police officer of conducting a cavity search of him on the street, “digging his fingers in my rectum in the middle of the street” while people passed by.

More recently, Mr. Garner told lawyers at Legal Aid that he intended to take all the cases against him to trial. “He was adamant he wouldn’t plead guilty to anything,” said Christopher Pisciotta, the lawyer in charge of the Staten Island office of Legal Aid.

Despite all the scrutiny from the police, most days Mr. Garner, a father of six, would stand on Bay Street, in the Tompkinsville neighborhood, his ankles visibly swollen, hawking loose Lucky cigarettes for 50 cents each.

On Thursday, when officers confronted him nearby and accused him of selling tobacco to a man in a red shirt, Mr. Garner reacted with exasperation, suggesting he was not going to cooperate. “I’m tired of it,” he said. “This stops today.”

“I didn’t do nothing,” Mr. Garner tells an officer. “Every time you see me, you want to harass me, you want to stop me.”

At one point he has his hands on his hips; at other points he is gesturing energetically. “Please just leave me alone,” he says. In the video, Mr. Garner can be seen crawling forward on the ground as an officer hangs on with his arm around Mr. Garner’s neck. Other officers surround Mr. Garner.

Soon, the officer releases his grip around Mr. Garner’s neck and, kneeling, presses Mr. Garner’s head into the sidewalk.

Mr. Garner was pronounced dead a short time later at Richmond University Medical Center.

Mr. Pisciotta, the Legal Aid lawyer who knew Mr. Garner as a frequent client, said he was struck by how quickly the officers resorted to putting “him into a chokehold,” perhaps in reaction to Mr. Garner’s formidable size.

Mr. Pisciotta said that Mr. Garner, however imposing his appearance, was “a gentle giant,” who was known for breaking up fights.

“To me it looks like they saw a mountain of a man and they decided to take him down using immediate and significant force,” Mr. Pisciotta said.

On Friday, a woman at Mr. Garner’s home, who identified herself as a cousin named Stephanie, said: “The family is very, very sad. We’re in shock. Why did they have to grab him like that?”
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #6559
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Anybody been to the downtown or Richmond Passport office lately?
Gotta renew our passports soon and would like to get them quicker than mailing them in.
How are the line ups and do they start even before the office opens?
Thanks
blackGS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #6560
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Gotta renew our passports soon and would like to get them quicker than mailing them in.
Thanks
blackGS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #6561
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackGS? View Post
Thanks
Was at the Surrey one last Thursday and it wasn't bad during noon...they have express for just a bit more as well.
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #6562

James Garner, 86 passed away (Rockford Files, Grand Prix) RIP

Wouldn't normally post an actor such as he as he hasn't been relevant to anyone for decades (or else i'd give it a separate thread) but this guy was a car guy and a racer so here you go

Car & Driver interview from 2012

Quote:
What I'd Do Differently: James Garner

The part-time racer, full-time acting legend, and coauthor of The Garner Files autobiography talks, at 84, about a life spent playing with cars.

C/D: Were cars a big part of growing up in Oklahoma?

JG: Cars were a luxury and a necessity when I started driving, at the age of 10. They were a luxury because we were poor. They were a necessity because we loved them. By the time I was 13 or 14, I was playing “Ditch ’Em.” We’d line up six or eight cars, and the first one would take off and try to lose the rest. Or if I was cruising around town and I saw another hotshot, I’d get behind him and tap his bumper, and the race would be on. It was during World War II, and gas was rationed, so we had to steal it. We’d go up to a car in the middle of the night and siphon off a few gallons. We had fun, and nobody got hurt because we were all good drivers. Or so we thought. Maybe we were just lucky.

C/D: What was your first car?

JG: It was a gray 1952 Dodge coupe. It wasn’t quite a “rolling disaster,” but it was ugly. I bought it with my mustering-out pay from the army, plus the cash I won in a poker game on the ship home from Korea.

C/D: When Maverick became a hit, did you buy a nice car?

JG: Couldn’t afford one! Even though Maverick was the top show on television, I was stuck in a studio contract that paid only a few hundred bucks a week. When I took my wife, Lois, to the premiere of West Side Story, I was so ashamed of my old heap, I had to borrow Natalie Wood’s Cadillac.

C/D: Did you get along with the Formula 1 drivers during the filming of Grand Prix?

JG: They were very competitive with each other, but they were also a band of brothers united by skill and courage. I got along with them all, especially Richie Ginther and Graham Hill (I called him “Mr. Smooth”), and I was very impressed by a young Jackie Stewart.

C/D: You raced many different types of cars but most prominently off-roaders. What was your greatest racing success?

JG: I was always happy just to finish the Baja 1000 and was lucky enough to do it more times than not. Racing is full of disappointments, of course, and I had my share, but I try not to dwell on them.

C/D: Paul Newman, Steve McQueen, and you are generally considered the three most talented actor/drivers. Put the three of you in equal cars, and who would win?

JG: Steve was a pretty good driver—the best, if you asked him. He had natural talent, but he was reckless. Paul was very precise behind the wheel. He bagged a bunch of SCCA titles. But if all three of us were in a race, whether on a road course or an oval or a dirt track, I wouldn’t bet against myself.

C/D: How did your production team settle on Jim Rockford’s Firebird?

JG: I liked the looks of the Firebird, and I thought it was the kind of blue-collar car that Jim Rockford would drive. I’m sure he would have liked a Trans Am (I drove one in real life at the time) but couldn’t afford it. The only modification we made was to stouten up the suspension to handle all the stunts. The sticker price of the 1970 Firebird Esprit was about $3000, and Pontiac didn’t give us cars—we bought three new ones every season. We had two backups in case of damage or breakdowns because we couldn’t afford to stop production for repairs.

C/D: Of the cars you’ve owned over the years, is there any one you regret selling?

JG: I wish I’d held onto my pale-blue 1966 Mini Cooper. After shooting The Great Escape in Germany, Steve McQueen and I both brought Minis home with us—they had to be among the first imported to the U.S. Steve was my next-door neighbor, and we’d race them up and down our street. I loved that little car and could do anything with it.

C/D: Of the race drivers you’ve known, which ones would you consider friends?

JG: The 1963 Indy 500 winner, Parnelli Jones, and I became good friends when we were both on the Bronco team at the Baja 1000 in the late 1960s. He won the Baja twice but said the race was like “being in a 24-hour plane crash.”

C/D: The reverse 180-degree turn has been nicknamed the “Rockford.” Are you disappointed no one calls it the “Garner”?

JG: Not at all because I didn’t invent it, and neither did Jim Rockford. It’s really just a reverse 180, also known as a “moonshiner’s turn.” You’re driving straight in reverse at about 35 miles an hour, and you come off the gas pedal and go hard left, which pushes the front end around. Then you shift, punch the gas, and you’re off.

C/D: Looking back, is there anything you’d have done differently?

JG: I’m a country boy out of the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl who came to Hollywood, got famous, made some money, traveled the world and met all kinds of people, and had great friends and a wonderful family. Would I have done anything differently? Hell, no!
What I'd Do Differently: James Garner - Feature - Car and Driver

If you haven't seen Grand Prix and you're a Formula 1 fan you should its probably still the best Formula 1 movie to date (even with RUSH considered)

Fan trailer

Opening sequence of the film

The film includes appearances by Phil Hill, Graham Hill, Juan Manuel Fangio, Jim Clark, Jochen Rindt, Jack Brabham, Dan Gurney, Richie Ginther, Jo Bonnier and Bruce McLaren

Last edited by StylinRed; 07-20-2014 at 04:18 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #6563
MG1

I watched Rockford Files religiously. Hard to belive he was 86 years old.

Last edited by MG1; 07-20-2014 at 10:09 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #6564
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere before but I thought it was kind of neat (mainly because I hate spiders but I don't like squishing them). If you want to see how it works without watching him build it, just skip to 4:05 in the video. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work for something like a wolf spider or other large arachnids but it would probably be okay for house widows (the dark brown widow spiders commonly found in bathrooms). Or if you want to move a spider from your garden/balcony to somewhere else.

I personally try the capture and release method, but a piece of cardboard and a glass always ends up with me screaming "where the fuck did it go" -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #6565

So I bought some clothes and had it shipped to the border but was too lazy to go pick it all up and I had them mail it to me instead ($100)

It arrived today and Canada post wants $180 in duties + GST PST even the mailman was over the duties (more than the gst pst)

-_- so i refused it -_-

wtf
Old 07-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #6566
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Honda Celebration of Light Vancouver 2014 Schedule and Countries

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #6567
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

North Korea is furious over viral video mocking Kim Jong-un - The Week

MaaaadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #6568
RS controls my life!

Didn't realize I posted in wrong thread

Last edited by xeryusx; 07-23-2014 at 03:32 PM.
xeryusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #6569
MG1

Please be reminded that if it is raining and you are on the freeway, you really need to turn on the headlights. I was on my way back from my bi weekly trip to the US and the weather was horrible. One out of ten cars or so had their tail lights on. The rest were pretty much invisible from the spray off of tires. So many people assume tail lights come on with their daytime running lights. What's even worse is most new cars' dash lights are on all the time giving people the sense their headlights are on. I don't know what else we can do to educate the public. I tried to explain it to the people at traffic radio, but they are pretty clueless as to how to explain it. "Make sure your tail lights are on," means nothing to people.

Also, be careful out there. The roads are pretty slick.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #6570
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

FYI BC conservation officers are going through neighbourhoods seeing if your garbage cans are locked if they are left outside.

Just got a warning ticket, next time it will be a $230 fine. Section 33.1 of the wildlife act - attracting dangerous wildlife to premise. Apparently as soon as they see a garbage can outside they have the right to enter your property. Isn't this a municipal/bylaw thing?
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #6571
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
So...Québec just initiated a new law on herrafrush cars...
Quote:
Those nogoodniks up in the frozen French north of Quebec just decided to ban your sweet, sweet hellaflush ride, all because stancing it out affects handling and maneuverability in a province with snow nine months out of the year. But we all know that really, it's just The Man trying to keeping you down.

And The Man doesn't even care how much you spent on those rims for your mom's Honda.

The best part about this whole thing is that the Quebec government, which apparently thinks that hellaflush cars are such a problem that they've issued a directive explaining why the style is prohibited, and how to recognize the stanced menace:

Hellaflush

Le hellaflush est une pratique esthétique réalisée au détriment de la tenue de route et de la maniabilité d'un véhicule. Il s'agit d'une mode qui consiste à :

abaisser la suspension d'un véhicule;
installer des jantes surdimensionnées et déportées (offset supérieur à celui des jantes originales);
monter des pneus trop étroits pour la jante (tire stretching).
Ces modifications, qui affectent la géométrie de la suspension du véhicule, sont généralement observables par la présence d'un carrossage négatif (
negative camber

) exagéré. Voici un tour d'horizon des principales modifications entraînées par le

hellaflush

et les raisons pour lesquelles cette pratique est interdite.
Yes, they actually used the term "hellaflush." In case your French is a bit poor, OppositeLock user Luc.A. kindly translated the first bit into English:

Quebec to be the First Province to Ban Hellaflush
Yes, you read correctly. The SAAQ has prohibited you to "hellaflush" your vehicle, even…
Read on oppositelock.​jalopnik.​com
Hellaflush is a practice of cosmetic modifications that comes to the detriment of handling and road holding capabilities which consist of:

Lowering the suspension of the vehicle
Installing oversized and offset wheels (offset greater than of the stock wheels)
Installing tires too narrow for the wheels (tire stretching).
These modifications,that affect the geometry of the vehicles suspension, are generally observed by the presence of exaggerated negative camber. This is an overview of the principals of hellaflush and the reason this practice is prohibited.
The directive goes on to explain that tire manufacturers never intended for their precious rubbery products to be stretched, which would massively compromise their handling characteristics, and how adjusting the camber past the point of practicality makes maneuverability, well, unpractical.

Don't worry if you've got your car looking so, so, good already, and you think you might have to run all the way to Moncton to escape those Big Government nuts in Laval. Right now, the worst that can happen is that a cop can pull you over and send you to get your car inspected, at which point you will be informed that your car did not pass inspection, and if you want it on the road again you'll have to put it back the way it was.

Oh, and your insurance company is legally allowed to refuse to compensate you for a claim, if your car has been modified beyond manufacturer standards.

But hey, long live free Quebec, or something.
The Fascists In Quebec Just Banned Your Hellaflush Car Yo

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #6572
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,924 Times in 3,877 Posts
^ that article sounds biased as fuck. Yeah how dare the gov't require that your car not be modified to where it's a hazard, and how dare your insurance deny your claim after you've compromised the handling and braking ability of the car.

Fucking idiots.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #6573
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Is Craigslist being run by Sarah Palin now? Keep looking you will see it.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #6574

Pullman-Moscow Regional Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

its in WA state (well its moscow idaho and pullman washington)
Old 07-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #6575
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Have a Coke and a … great marketing campaign | Lehigh Valley Business

Quote:
This summer, the soft drink giant has its fans – and probably even some folks that aren’t big cola drinkers – scanning the soda aisle looking for their very own bottle of Coke.

As its latest promotion the company has placed more than 1,000 names on 375 milliliter and 500 milliliter bottles of Coke, Diet Coke and Coke Zero. That’s just in the U.S.

Other nations have names more specific to their locale. For example. in South Africa you can “Share a Coke” with Ayanda or in New Zealand you can “Share a Coke” with Paora.
Couldn't believe some of the names I saw today - Huang, Chen, Jonalyn.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote