REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:50 AM   #76
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
well i've finished the book. just had my last cigarette per instructions

highly recommend it to everyone if you can't find it give me a pm.

I'M A NON-SMOKER

Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #77
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

^
damn that was fast....im still procrastinating with the book

like i told you guys, this book really helps
Old 05-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #78
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Keep us updated on your success
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #79
Who's naughty? I___i

think about the money you will save those can go towards your car!
Szeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #80
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
I personally don't smoke, but for the past few months at my old workplace I noticed my supervisor and several co-workers go from smoking excessively to using e-cigarettes. I believe since then they have quit, but a couple couldn't and have decided to go back to smoking. On the road to quitting, just think about the hundreds of dollars you save, and all that could be used to go to something a lot better !
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #81
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
well i've finished the book. just had my last cigarette per instructions

highly recommend it to everyone if you can't find it give me a pm.

I'M A NON-SMOKER
Just curious how much did you smoked before and how long you were smoking?
Bought the book yesterday gonna try and start it today
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #82
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
Just curious how much did you smoked before and how long you were smoking?
Bought the book yesterday gonna try and start it today
i started smoking around 4-5 years ago? probably averaged 10 a day..
the guy does say some useless things and repeats himself a lot, but most of the stuff he says does make sense.
hardest part is not quitting, the hardest part is convincing yourself that you're better off without cigarettes.

it's been pretty much a full day and haven't touched a smoke. threw away my half full pack and lighters. was not used to not smoking after meals.. but i just remember what the book tells you:
don't kid yourself, there's no such thing as just one. that one will just lead to a lifetime of smoking again, guaranteed.

worked well for the first day i'd say

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW607 View Post
I personally don't smoke, but for the past few months at my old workplace I noticed my supervisor and several co-workers go from smoking excessively to using e-cigarettes. I believe since then they have quit, but a couple couldn't and have decided to go back to smoking. On the road to quitting, just think about the hundreds of dollars you save, and all that could be used to go to something a lot better !
i've tried e-cigarettes when they first came out. maybe they got better or something but when i tried them they didn't help or helped very temporarily. reason being the nicotine in the vaporized form takes around 20 mins to get to your brain, instead of 7 seconds in cigarette smoke (which is helped along by some nasty chemicals to make it so quick acting). so e-cigs won't fulfill that 'urge', only give your hands something to do cause the nicotine kicks in way too slow to actually work.
plus if you listen to what the book says, another reason why e-cigs don't work is because you're still telling your brain: nicotine is good. i need nicotine. that's why i'm switching to a substitute of nicotine. but it's not and you don't need it. because what cigarettes do is make your life shittier, but every time you have a smoke it makes it slightly less shitty temporarily, so it feels good.

quitting cold turkey is better.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:29 PM   #83
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Not gonna lie, most effective and long-lasting remedy to putting a halt to this bad habit is exercising. And by this I mean getting serious into exercising, literally exercising every single day. Once you get into this habit, it's gonna keep your mind off of smoking and divert your attention to getting high off endorphins from exercising rather than the harmful chemicals in smoke. You'll learn to like looking in the mirror and seeing a ripped/lean muscular body, and most of all, you'll feel good being fully functional and living a healthy lifestyle.

Simply put, a buddy of mine who smoked the majority of his life tried a whole bunch of methods to quit smoking. He took up karate with me and after about a year of consistent and sweat-breaking karate practise, he quit smoking once and for all...

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:11 AM   #84
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Believe or not....I used to be a heavy smoker back in high school, I used to go through half a pack a day

December 31st, 2006 is when I decided to make a new years resolution and kick the habit...

5.5 years and still counting

It's all in the mind, and how much effort you're willing to put into quitting....
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #85
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
Believe or not....I used to be a heavy smoker back in high school, I used to go through half a pack a day

December 31st, 2006 is when I decided to make a new years resolution and kick the habit...

5.5 years and still counting

It's all in the mind, and how much effort you're willing to put into quitting....
^And now the dude's benching 150% of his bodyweight

Went from shit to fit haha

just goes to show how exercise can really change a person.
It's true that 75% of adult male and female smokers who take up regular recreational running stop smoking... Now's the time to start

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #86
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
nothing like exercising and being able to breath
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
half a pack isnt exactly that heavy of a smoker, but i guess that's a good thing since you've quit anyways
better than me, i was at one point, a pack a day or more, the sad part is i didnt even realise how much i smoked

i was pretty fit in my younger years late teens early 20s, working out everyday n shit, but the heavy smoking had my body deteriorated to shit and im in my late 20s now, i literally cant walk up more than 4 flights of stairs without gasping or even jog around the block. I have low energy levels. I guess your environment really plays a role in your smoking life, back then i worked as a construction electrician, people around me would smoke all day, literally one smoke after another, it really didnt help, and im glad im out of that environment now

but i have 3 more smokes left in my pack.......and i promise myself these will be the last 3! i can see the light at the end of the tunnel!
Old 06-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #88
RS controls my life!

Smoked for 7 years and I think I am ready to quit.

I don't know what happened but I don't crave cigarettes anymore. Well, there are a few cravings when I am extremely frustrated but other than that my body doesn't want it anymore. Bought only 2 packs of cigarette in May entirely (was half a pack per day regularly), and I still have the second pack unfinished. Both packs were bought when I was drunk with my friends. If only I can resist the cigs while drunk, I think I can weed this shit out of my life for good.

What were your tricks to avoid cigs while drunk?
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #89
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
Smoked for 7 years and I think I am ready to quit.

I don't know what happened but I don't crave cigarettes anymore. Well, there are a few cravings when I am extremely frustrated but other than that my body doesn't want it anymore. Bought only 2 packs of cigarette in May entirely (was half a pack per day regularly), and I still have the second pack unfinished. Both packs were bought when I was drunk with my friends. If only I can resist the cigs while drunk, I think I can weed this shit out of my life for good.

What were your tricks to avoid cigs while drunk?
As I said earlier, I think about how lame it feels knowing I caved and bought a pack. Occasionally, when I really want to smoke something while drinking, I buy cigars so I can only have one or two smokes instead of 20.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #90
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I wanna quit too, but makes it extra difficult that all of my friends smoke and places I frequent are usually smoking places. It's especially hard for me when alot of my frds are stewardess and I know one or two pilots who bring me cheap cartons every week.
k00laid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #91
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Try not to let yourself get peer pressured. If all your friends are smoking don't feel bad or feel left out just because you don't want to smoke too.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #92
Rotary dori dori MOD

Been reading this thread quite abit and I can finally say I have joined you guys in quitting. I used to smoke 10+ a day and if I was drinking it'll be that much more. I officially quit yesterday...june 2nd at 920 something am...I have quit cold turkey before and I have to say to those of you who haven't quit yet...it's honestly mind over matter.

I had people in my face at work today and I found that taking that few minutes to just calm down and tell yourself you dont need it...you'll be ok. I also drank a butt load of water..

As others have said earlier...exercise does def help...it sweats out the toxins and as your drinking water during the workout it flushes it out too. I've been doing p90x again for the last 2 weeks and I can honestly say I have drank much less and smoked less *well atm of typing 0*.

As for cravings...sure I get em...but I just keep in mind that if I have a smoke...I have to go through all this again....

I wish everyone luck in quitting as it is a disgusting habit. =)

!Shuya80 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #93
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

^^good on you bro. Im hoping what is to be my last cigarette. No more for me, I am gonna concentrate on training hard and reminding my lungs and myself why I shouldnt smoke.
k00laid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #94
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Keep smoking and your friend Dick, shrinks.

That was my motivation.

This too

Last edited by Hash Berlin; 06-13-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Hash Berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #95

Finished the book and so far, im 2 weeks clean...

it feels good,
feel more energetic...waking up in the morning feels easier, falling asleep feels easier too.
throat isnt sore when i wake up in the morning either
Old 06-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #96
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I'm always wary of people claiming that "their" way is the "only" way to quit. I quit for 6 months a few years back by simply going cold turkey. To be fair, I was super sick (had bronchitis, mixed in with a healthy dose of a bleeding lung from coughing too much) so it wasn't that hard to quit. Unfortunately I had a a bad day at work a few months later and started smoking again.

However, as of Sunday morning (well, technically Saturday night), I decided to quit again. Bought myself a shitty little e-cig from 711 (apparently it came with a nicotine free cartridge, which I didn't realize until afterwards) and that was that. Went through the majority of the day without a problem until I was driving in the evening and started having a nicotine craving. I had one smoke left in my pack and lit it up... took two puffs, realized I had absolutely no desire to smoke it, and chucked it. Felt good doing that.

Now, I wont lie and say I haven't had any cravings. In fact, I had one of those moments yesterday morning. You know those moments how you don't need to go to the washroom until you realize that you no longer able to because it's busy? And then suddenly you can't wait to get in? I had one of those moments when it came to realizing I couldn't have a smoke. Started nicinig pretty badly, until I forced my mind to concentrate on something else. Since then, it's been pretty good. Passed my second test today, which was going back to work. I smoked the most at work, so I figured if I could make it through the day without having one, I was past probably the biggest (habit-related) hurdle.

As for the e-cig... Sunday I used it pretty regularly, Monday was maybe a couple dozen puffs all day, and today has been maybe... 6 puffs? As a friend said, it's the equivilant of quitting cocaine and instead snorting Pixie Stick powdered sugar. I only bought it in case I needed to satisfy the habit of constantly putting something up to my mouth. Apart from the first day, I think I've been pretty good without it. I'm sure I could have substituted it with something like a lolipop, but... meh.

As a reference, I used to smoke 5 packs a week on average (sometimes a lot less, sometimes a little more... just depended on what I did after work and how stressful work was).

Edit: I've also realized I need to refocus some of my habits now. I go on drives in the late evening just to wind down for the night and, of course, I'd always light up a couple smokes while doing so. As much as I love going for random drives, I think I may need to avoid doing those for the time being until my body gets used to not having smokes at times it was used to.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #97
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
make it so you every time you use your lighter you get a quick zap.
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #98
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

A friend posted this on Facebook. It's a video and watch it because it's true. No disgusting pictures of cancer or anything because that won't deter people but if you think about this, it might.

Perhaps one of the best anti-smoking ads ever created. [VIDEO]

I have a girlfriend that goes to church and she's the best girlfriend I will ever have and the first. I have always have had a fortunate and good family but the ties between each member were really rough throughout my teen years and still up until now. My gf never smokes, and hates smoking, yet she knew before she was with me but still chose my other qualities over the flaw of smoking. In my life, I will do anything to stop her from smoking because I know it's bad, but sometimes there was the arguement that she brought up that what would I do if she was to smoke to relieve stress. I told her I wouldn't let her no matter what, I will stop her even if we broke it off. Maybe it was fate for me to meet such a good girlfriend to start making me think about these things right now.

I don't smoke a lot actually compared to most of you, 1-4 a day tops and I would actually count to make sure I don't exceed the amount I would want to stop at. Still, it has been quite an impact in my life socially and in my family. I have had thoughts about quitting but my mind right now is being pulled in different directions, however, what I know is whatever happens will happen. If I was to quit then I will, if I wasn't, then I won't and keep on going. I know it ironical because you're supposed to do this for yourself and focus on your goal, but in this time in life my conscious is really clouded I don't know what to do.
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #99
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604nguyen View Post
half a pack isnt exactly that heavy of a smoker, but i guess that's a good thing since you've quit anyways
better than me, i was at one point, a pack a day or more, the sad part is i didnt even realise how much i smoked

i was pretty fit in my younger years late teens early 20s, working out everyday n shit, but the heavy smoking had my body deteriorated to shit and im in my late 20s now, i literally cant walk up more than 4 flights of stairs without gasping or even jog around the block. I have low energy levels. I guess your environment really plays a role in your smoking life, back then i worked as a construction electrician, people around me would smoke all day, literally one smoke after another, it really didnt help, and im glad im out of that environment now

but i have 3 more smokes left in my pack.......and i promise myself these will be the last 3! i can see the light at the end of the tunnel!
To me it felt somewhat heavy but I was like fuck this shit, made a new years resolution, and stuck to it since then.

Everytime my friends smoke, I'm just like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #100
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Haven't had a smoke since Saturday night and apart from the odd quick craving, I haven't really had any desire to light one up. On the plus side, my best friend (and my desk-partner at work) is also started to cut down on how many smokes she has every day, so I think I'm started to rub off on her. She's been smoking for half her life now (15 years), so it'll be a lot harder for her to quit. On the whole, I think I'm doing quite well. Haven't used the e-cig since Tuesday.

On the other hand, I just got uber sick. I've heard and read that this is quite common for people who quit, especially cold turkey. This is gonna suck since I had quite a few things planned for the next few weeks, so hopefully I'll be able to kick this quickly... not that I'm expecting it to.

Anyway, apart from that annoyance, I actually feel good! I don't want to say anything until I hit the one month mark, but I think I'm doing quite well!
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: