REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 08-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Has anyone ever vacationed alone?

Hey all,

I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever vacationed alone? how was it? where did you go? what did you do?

I have the second week of september off and all of my friends are jobless and broke. I want to get out of vancouver. Anybody wanna go new york w/ me? lol.
Advertisement
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
I plan on going a lone on a Asian vacation trip. Japan, Korea, maybe China. I would suggest only going alone if it's to a place where you don't speak the language as it can be fun. Especially if you don't have a friend with you so you have to try and actually speak the native language and you get more involved in their culture.

Going to New York only doesn't sound like a great time to me but traveling, say Japan, sounds a lot more exciting in my books. Maybe just going by car to Alaska for the sights since the summer is ending. I've never done the drive but I'm sure it would be fun if you just take your time.

Sorry don't really have much travelling advice to give!
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
I travel to Japan alone somewhat regularly, and have been to other places as well. It does get quite lonely, but sometimes that's fine. If you start to get lonely and down, there is ALWAYS a way to meet people, if you prefer. I wouldn't recommend a long trip by yourself.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Really depends on your personality. Travelling by yourself is somewhat liberating imo.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

I think i'm going to give it a shot, just have to get some ideas where I can go and have to get my passport reissued asap.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
Old 08-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

going alone can be fun , depending on where u r going, if u know people thr, etc.
i go to korea alone, all the time, i know tons of people thr, always fun.

if u stay at hostel , u meet people, tag along, and can be fun ( i never stayed, however would do so if i didn't know people already)
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Many times

London, Paris, Ibiza, Salzburg, Graz, Vienna, Frankfurt, Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Toronto, Montreal, New York.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

^^^

Have you known people all those places you've been?

I went to India, Malaysia, Singapore, China, Thailand last year but I went with my uncle, met people in India to travel around with, but I knew people in the other places.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
this massively depends on if your,

alone and single,
alone and not single.
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
^^^

Have you known people all those places you've been?

I went to India, Malaysia, Singapore, China, Thailand last year but I went with my uncle, met people in India to travel around with, but I knew people in the other places.
Only place I (sort of) knew somebody was in Graz. My co-worker's high school friend and sister were kind enough to meet with me and to show me around their city.

Same with Toronto and Montreal. I had co-workers there but for the most part, we only met up for a coffee/dinner and I was on my own most of the time. Had a friend working/living in New York but she was in Paris at the time so that was a on-go. Edit: I ended up living in Toronto for a short time for work as well but this was much after my travels.

I also went to Los Angeles and San Fran but I knew people there but again, was on my own for the most part. I have family in LA and lived there for a while.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 08-15-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Dukes share your stories with me.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
RS Veteran

My only story is that I am Sinophobic and have no interest in going to Asia. I'm a racist.

Just kidding. I basically racked up a bunch of bank time at work, booked my tickets last minute and took off two days later without telling anybody.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Funny I found this thread. I was just telling a story to an RS member about one of my road trips last night.

I've done most of the US alone, a ton of eastern Europe alone, and the entirety of the UK and Ireland alone.

I can set my own pace, see what I want to see and skip what I want to skip. I basically pack the equivalent of 3 or 4 vacations into a single trip. I saw the OK Corral, the Alamo, and the Oak Alley plantation all within a few days of each other. It was great.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
My only story is that I am Sinophobic and have no interest in going to Asia. I'm a racist.

Just kidding. I basically racked up a bunch of bank time at work, booked my tickets last minute and took off two days later without telling anybody.
You learned your lesson though eh dukes

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
LSF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF22 View Post
You learned your lesson though eh dukes
That was....a big mistake.

But worth it.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #16
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

So I decided to do a new york trip! ive been wanting to go for ages and this is the second time i would be buying tickets and hopefully I can make it this time. LOL.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of going alone, that way I can pace myself, and do things on my own schedule rather than waiting for people to get ready and such.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #17
RS Veteran

Do it.

You won't regret it.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #18
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Did you guys stay in hotels when you travelled alone or did you do the airbnb/couchsurfing/hostel thing?

I'm planning on going somewhere alone as well in the next few months
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #19
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I just traveled by myself through the East Coast
Orlando (with gf but she went back to Van), Washington D.C., New York, Toronto

I got my ticket through expedia and it costed me around 900 bucks. I'd totally recommend it. Although it gets lonely at times, you learn alot about yourself. Traveling by yourself is fun and you don't have to please anyone else and go on your pace. I did alot of walking through Washington D.C. and New York and I don't think I would've seen as much if I went with the gf

If you liked Museums, definitely go to Washington D.C as there are alot of things to look at and they are all free.

New York is awesome (a bit smelly) but there are good food everywhere. Also, there are tons of things to look at too.

How long are you planning to go there for anyway?
I went through AirBnB and it costed me around 50 bucks per night. You can definitely do the trip in the most economical way.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions or anything
Wilsonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #20
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
Did you guys stay in hotels when you travelled alone or did you do the airbnb/couchsurfing/hostel thing?

I'm planning on going somewhere alone as well in the next few months
Mostly hotels. I lucked out on every trip. Hotels (including cost, convenience and time factor) worked out to my advantage. Hunt around. There are always deals to be found.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #21
SiRVs up, dude

I've travelled alone almost every summer for the last 3-4 years. Hostels are hands down, by far, where I've had the most fun meeting people and doing things... not to mention the occasional hostel-romance.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #22
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I feel like if you go alone you really have to be charismatic to get the best out of it.
JACKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #23
Need to Seek Professional Help

I think it depends on what you are trying to get out of the trip you want to take.

Personally I like traveling with close friends and sharing the experiences of where ever I go with them. Staying in hostels or other backpacker type places is an easy way to meet people but then again it depends if that is the kind of crowd you want to meet on your trip.

It will also depend on what you want to see and do on this trip.

Last edited by scottsman; 08-23-2012 at 12:58 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
scottsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #24
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Went to China alone without knowing a word of Mandarin. I pretty much relied on catching free WiFi to use my translator.
Looking back, it was a stupid plan, with all the sketchiness in China. But hey, I'm still alive.

@OP, I don't think a week is enough for New York. For the price of the flight, I'd personally only go if I had 2 weeks. There's lots to see. But either way, it's your call, you won't regret it!
I'd totally go with you if I had more vacation days left lol, but I'm planning to hit Vegas again before the end of the year

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #25
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Traveled to Australia for over a month a few years back.

It was quite an experience in that you were forced to take initiate and meet new people. Staying in hostels kinda helped in that regards.

Not for everyone though

Last edited by giCe; 08-23-2012 at 01:32 PM.
giCe is offline   Reply With Quote