REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #76
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
Correct. You can potentially be dinged three times: US tax, CAD tax, then CAD duty.
It's not just these, the declared value for CAD tax supposed to be the total COST; meaning the exact amount you paid to get the good in your hand.

My friend got dinged once for some heavy used equipment he had it shipped to near border. It was a only about 2k worth, but the shipping was a few hundred bucks due to size/weight. And as the shipping charge showed on the receipt, he was charged CDN tax on the total: value+US tax+shipping.
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #77
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
It's not just these, the declared value for CAD tax supposed to be the total COST; meaning the exact amount you paid to get the good in your hand.

My friend got dinged once for some heavy used equipment he had it shipped to near border. It was a only about 2k worth, but the shipping was a few hundred bucks due to size/weight. And as the shipping charge showed on the receipt, he was charged CDN tax on the total: value+US tax+shipping.
Your friend got screwed. They are not supposed to include the shipping charge on the receipt. The lady at the cash register told me it is only the value of the goods, and do not include the shipping price.
JunFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #78
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
the reason your friend was probably charged tax on the shipping was because he probably declared the total amount, shipping included.
cbsa agents are lazy, they probably just invoiced him based on the slip he was given and didn't check to receipts.

they are not going to intentionally charge you on the shipping. Some agents might be dicks, but they aren't going to intentionally screw you over.
Posted via RS Mobile
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #79
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
the reason your friend was probably charged tax on the shipping was because he probably declared the total amount, shipping included.
cbsa agents are lazy, they probably just invoiced him based on the slip he was given and didn't check to receipts.

they are not going to intentionally charge you on the shipping. Some agents might be dicks, but they aren't going to intentionally screw you over.
Posted via RS Mobile
CBSA has training issues.
I imported a used car a few years ago, Pacific truck crossing.
The officer was incompetent, several 'phone calls were required to figure out the deal. After all that it was still wrong.
I got it straightened out at the bonding warehouse in Burnaby with a different officer. This saved me $$$.
It all depends on the individual you get.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #80
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_punk View Post
Motorcycles are duty free even if it is made with a vin that doesnt begin with a 1,2,3,4, or 5
sorry i meant motorcycle helmet
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #81
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Some people will go to great lengths to save a couple bucks. I know someone who bought four tires and had them shipped to Blaine Enterprise. He went over four different times to get groceries and fuel up. He brought back one tire at a time in his spare tire compartment. Only once did the border guard pull him to the side. When they asked why he had a new tire as a spare, his response was, "I don't like the dinky little spare tire" and he was on his way. He did end up saving hundreds as oppose to a couple bucks for the tires by doing this.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #82
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
asked stupid questions like "why do you have a mailbox in the states "
i've been asked that question before. i just tell them i get much better deals on amazon.com vs .ca and it's free shipping within the US.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #83
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
Some people will go to great lengths to save a couple bucks. I know someone who bought four tires and had them shipped to Blaine Enterprise. He went over four different times to get groceries and fuel up. He brought back one tire at a time in his spare tire compartment. Only once did the border guard pull him to the side. When they asked why he had a new tire as a spare, his response was, "I don't like the dinky little spare tire" and he was on his way. He did end up saving hundreds as oppose to a couple bucks for the tires by doing this.
LOL well, 20 minute drive x both ways x 4...that's not too bad if you had time to plan it out and didn't need the tires immediately.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #84
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:

That is actually a great idea. Given the low cost fees for holding it at TLC or whatever at PR. Thanks for the idea
calcalvinlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #85
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,066 Times in 1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcalvinlee View Post
That is actually a great idea. Given the low cost fees for holding it at TLC or whatever at PR. Thanks for the idea
Just hope no CBSA officers are reading this thread!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #86
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunFan View Post
Your friend got screwed. They are not supposed to include the shipping charge on the receipt. The lady at the cash register told me it is only the value of the goods, and do not include the shipping price.
An older border agent told me the same thing as Hehe. Technically it's the cost to acquire the goods, which includes shipping. However, almost none of the border agents actually do this though.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #87
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
An older border agent told me the same thing as Hehe. Technically it's the cost to acquire the goods, which includes shipping. However, almost none of the border agents actually do this though.
Exactly. It's more about the technicality of the definition. My friend needed proof of custom clearance. So, he just went in with the sales bill, which showed both the shipping and value, and got charged for the total amount.

The same friend who got dinged told me, he now just have them billed him separately. One for goods and another for shipping charges, and never had any problem.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #88
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:
That excuse should only work if the tire was mounted on a rim. Otherwise you can't really call it a spare.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #89
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
how much are you allowed to declare if your staying over in the states for over 48 hours

also how do you declare something that is used with no receipt?

if you get a really good deal on something and they don't believe the value you declare is there anything you can do
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #90
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
how much are you allowed to declare if your staying over in the states for over 48 hours

if you get a really good deal on something and they don't believe the value you declare is there anything you can do
Residents Returning to Canada

48 hours or more: up to CAN$800

May include alcohol and tobacco products, within the prescribed limits set by provincial or territorial authorities. Goods must be in your possession at time of entry to Canada. Travellers absent for periods of 48 hours or more will have the applicable exemption level credited against the total value of goods.

If you have no receipt, they are supposed to go by fair market value.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #91
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:

Print out the ad (craigslist or whatever). Up to you to figure out something. If they don't believe you they may actually phone the seller to confirm the selling price.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #92
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:

Like stated above after an absence of 48 hours you are entitled to an $800.00 exemption. As well as a limited alcohol and tobacco exemption.
Quote:
You are allowed to import only one of the following amounts of alcohol free of duty and taxes:

1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine;
a total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of alcoholic beverages; or
up to a maximum of 8.5 litres of beer or ale.
You should be able to create a bill of sale with the sellers info/contact info on it and a description of the item, with both parties signatures.