REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #276
I STILL don't get it

rip
Advertisement
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #277
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post

also the elevator wasn't working perhaps because she was walking in and out of it triggering the sensor?
That elevator has an door open button and a door hold button. Apparently she might of hit the hold button which holds the door open for a period of time. Maybe 1 minute which would explain why the door wouldnt close, she went into the elevator twice and hit it.
Posted via RS Mobile
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #278
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Very sad but the entire story is creepy and the video is even more creepier. I do think the LAPD has leads but it does make you wonder what she was doing at some a rundown hotel and who she was meeting.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #279
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
^how long does that take to happen? Maybe she was in there this whole time?
Posted via RS Mobile
Too many factors to determine that. How long the body has been in water (water has more bacteria/volume than air), temperature of the water or air before she was entered (temperature determines rate of bacterial multiplication), etc.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #280
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
Actually this is incorrect.
When a body is disposed of in water or drowning, it will sink as a dead weight. What happens next is that the bacteria in the body then goes on a feast and eats the tissue (no more immune system to fight the bacteria). The byproduct of the bacteria is methane, hydrogen sulfide, and a host of other gases. When the pockets of gas are sufficiently large enough, the body, now bloated like a balloon filled with this bacteria produced gas, now ascends to the surface.

Source: i've worked with dead bodies before.
is there an approx time how long this usually would occur?
1. phone call goes to police that body is found due to drop in water pressure
(assumption that body has sunk to the bottom)
2. news team report that body is floating face up in the tank.

the time frame between the janitor*? finding the drop in water pressure ---> check out the tank ---> call the police, is it enough for the body to release all the gases and float up again?

maybe it was the dude who complained about the drop in water pressure to get the technician to check out the tank in the first place....
bbcbrbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #281
I don't get it

Doubt it was the 'water pressure' the guest were complaining about.
Not sure why it took them this long to find her. Shouldn't they have had more cameras around the premise?

Sad end to this story. RIP

Last edited by dvst8; 02-20-2013 at 03:38 PM.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #282
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

^
On Tuesday, Lam’s body was discovered in one of the hotel’s four water tanks by a maintenance worker after investigating complaints about low water pressure, according to the Los Angeles Times.
bbcbrbe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #283
I am Hook'd on RS

I've worked in a control room.. and I can tell you, with over 200 camera's there it's VERY easy to miss something until you're informed of it or stumble on it while scanning through them all, and there's still a ton of blind spots. There's probably only one dude in a small room, and they probably have a camera on him too to make sure he doesn't fool around in there.
MaxinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #284
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
On CBC news, just now, some British tourists was asked about her stay in the Cecil (guests were asked to check out today) and she said the water from the faucet was initially black but it had an "odd sweet taste, teeheeheheheueheuheu" they should investigate her
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #285
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxinX View Post
I've worked in a control room.. and I can tell you, with over 200 camera's there it's VERY easy to miss something until you're informed of it or stumble on it while scanning through them all, and there's still a ton of blind spots. There's probably only one dude in a small room, and they probably have a camera on him too to make sure he doesn't fool around in there.
In a hotel like that, I doubt there is more than 10 cameras. If there was a lot of cameras, chances are there would be 1 in every hallway? Which means we would know if there was anyone in the hallway at the time she was in the elevator?

On top of that, if the alarm did go off when someone enters the roof, wouldnt the person in the so called control room notice right away since it would trigger some kind of sound or light?
E60_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #286
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

it seems like everyone in this thread is an investigator.
tseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseman View Post
it seems like everyone in this thread is an investigator.
well somebody has to investigate it after all its the LAPD dealing with the case
Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #288
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
That's wishful thinking. Most of the rooms are probably occupied - and you can't just search those rooms without a warrant. If there was zero evidence, no sign of a struggle, no judge will ever issue a warrant. Nor can they simply email Google and Facebook asking for permission to view their accounts.
Maybe I'm ignorant, but when any HR nerd can find buttloads of information on your "social network profile" simply from your job application I fail to see how a professional detective couldn't do the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
Really not trying to make Elisa look bad but anybody that think Elisa's acting normal in that elevator clip must have had a very very sheltered life..... and I agree with what was posted before. It ain't no weed or regular party favors....
also the elevator wasn't working perhaps because she was walking in and out of it triggering the sensor?
It really does look like she's under the influence, but whether it was of her own accord, forced or tricked, we won't know, and it really doesn't matter at this point ... RIP ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
That elevator has an door open button and a door hold button. Apparently she might of hit the hold button which holds the door open for a period of time. Maybe 1 minute which would explain why the door wouldnt close, she went into the elevator twice and hit it.
Posted via RS Mobile
Also the elevator door ... I don't know if it's because it's a super old elevator ... but all the elevators I've ever been in don't take THAT long to close, even if you hit the "open" button it does not "delay" the closing process, it just re-opens the door. You can see from when she first entered and hit all the buttons, she was standing inside for quite a while before she figured that the door was not closing.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Also the elevator door ... I don't know if it's because it's a super old elevator ... but all the elevators I've ever been in don't take THAT long to close, even if you hit the "open" button it does not "delay" the closing process, it just re-opens the door. You can see from when she first entered and hit all the buttons, she was standing inside for quite a while before she figured that the door was not closing.

maybe it was the ghost, that some seem to like to believe is a plausible culprit (not u azn just some other posters who mentioned this place being haunted)
as for what RiceIntegra was saying he was referring to a Hold button so that movers etc can load things in without worrying about the door closing every few seconds on them
Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #290
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,352 Times in 263 Posts
I used to be a camera, and let me tell you, it is impossible to track down every single thing that is happening. Every so often I would swing to the right and the same to the left, it is very frustrating work and if someone were to track down my movements, they can very easily sneak past me.
guddagudd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #291
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guddagudd View Post
I used to be a camera, and let me tell you, it is impossible to track down every single thing that is happening. Every so often I would swing to the right and the same to the left, it is very frustrating work and if someone were to track down my movements, they can very easily sneak past me.

That's too bad you were one of those video game cameras that enabled the gamer to slip past as long as they were able to time your movement.

I'm a camera and I just look in one direction so I never miss anything. I even get to wear a pair of dome sunglasses so people can't see which direction I'm actually looking at.

Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #292
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,563 Times in 171 Posts
People who think her behaviour around 1:50 mark is normal must be really sheltered. She's waving her arms around awkwardly like she has bad balance and poor motor skills as well as peeking into the elevator. If she was being followed why would she peek into the elevator.
Fappin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #293
Need to Seek Professional Help

Was Elisa Lam murdered or the victim of a strange accident? | CTV British Columbia News

Quote:
A timeline of Elisa Lam’s death:
Jan. 26: Travelled to California
Jan. 31: Last seen at The Cecil Hotel in Los Angeles
Feb. 1: Lam is recorded acting strangely in hotel elevator
Feb. 1: Lam was due to check out of hotel, but never surfaced
Feb. 6: LAPD hold press conference about disapperance, family attends
Feb. 19: Body found on hotel roof in a water tank
reaallly?
rocksforsale is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #294
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
I'm still annoyed at why it hasn't been disclosed WHY she went to LA
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #295
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
I'm still annoyed at why it hasn't been disclosed WHY she went to LA
She never told anyone, so the secret died with her (unless they find the culprit and the full story comes out). She told them she was going to Santa Cruz, and went to LA instead.

I think she used the Santa Cruz trip as an excuse to her parents, and went on a secret trip to LA to do whatever...
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #296
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
She never told anyone, so the secret died with her (unless they find the culprit and the full story comes out). She told them she was going to Santa Cruz, and went to LA instead.

I think she used the Santa Cruz trip as an excuse to her parents, and went on a secret trip to LA to do whatever...
So the parents didn't find it weird that she up and left to LA? It doesn't make sense that her parents KNEW she went down, talked to her everyday, and never asked/found out WHY she was down there.. If she was going to lie to her parents about where she was going, she could have made up a better story. She basically told them where she was going (more or less). The parents/family/friends have to know more than what is being released.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #297
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
So the parents didn't find it weird that she up and left to LA? It doesn't make sense that her parents KNEW she went down, talked to her everyday, and never asked/found out WHY she was down there.. If she was going to lie to her parents about where she was going, she could have made up a better story. She basically told them where she was going (more or less). The parents/family/friends have to know more than what is being released.
That's what I'm saying. If she told them she was going to Santa Cruz, then went to LA instead, of course they found it weird!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #298
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
That's what I'm saying. If she told them she was going to Santa Cruz, then went to LA instead, of course they found it weird!
well, why did she go to california at all? that's the point I'm trying to make. The family are making it seem like they don't even know why she left the country
Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #299
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
maybe she went to meet someone she met online
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #300
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post

Did I miss the source?
Where did it say she was found nude?

Cause that's a pretty valuable piece of the puzzle if so.
...The naked body of missing Canadian tourist, Elisa Lam, 21, was found inside a water tank atop a downtown Los Angeles hotel Tuesday.

Naked body of missing Canadian tourist found in hotel water tank (Video) - National missing persons | Examiner.com