REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Lets talk Turkey

Quote:
A peaceful rally in Istanbul against the demolition of a landmark park has ignited violent protests across Turkey, leading to fierce clashes with police leaving hundreds injured and highlighting growing discontent with the current government.

The clashes erupted after police carried out a dawn raid against protesters Friday, the second in as many days. Demonstrators are angry at government plans to cut down trees in the landmark Gezi Park, next to Taksim Square, to make way for a replica Ottoman army barracks and a shopping mall. They say it is the last green space of any size in the center of Istanbul.

On the fourth day of the protests, things took a turn for the worse, resembling a war zone. At 5am on May 31, a police raid moved into the park to confiscate the tents and burn them in front of the protesters, who stood by, watching from a distance without interfering. Then came the forceful removal of actual people from the park, followed by barricades, random searches, heavy vehicles and police checkpoints. This was by mid-afternoon.

In the first raid against crowds on Thursday, police used a Mass Incident Intervention Vehicle (TOMA) to disperse them before seizing and burning some of their tents, according to the Hurriyet Daily News.

The Peace and Democracy Party described the police intervention as “state terror” in an emailed statement. Amnesty International also said it was concerned with “the use of excessive force” by police after what started as a peaceful protest.

The protest at Gezi Park started on Monday, when developers tore up trees, but had now become a broader demonstration against Prime Minster Tayyip Erdogan’s Islam-oriented Justice and Development Party (AKP).

“This isn’t about trees anymore; it’s about all of the pressure we’re under from this government. We’re fed up; we don’t like the direction the country is headed in,” Mert Burge, an 18 year-old student, who came to support the protesters after he heard about the use of tear gas via twitter, told Reuters.

Riots, barricades, street battles as police fight protesters in Turkey (PHOTOS, VIDEO) ? RT News

LIVE UPDATES: Turkish police clamp down on anti-government protests ? RT News

BBC News - Turkey police clash with Istanbul Gezi Park protesters

Wow.
Advertisement
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Gobble gobble?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Some times I am amused by the world support protest like this get and how many of us are sympathetic to their fight.....all the while shitting on the Occupy Wallstreet peeps.

Now, don't get me wrong....the Occupy movement in Vancouver sank to a disastrous level and turned out to be a circus of hobos, but some times I feel we have more understanding for protests in far away lands....I dunno...I'm just rambling.

On topic, I support what they (protesters) are doing and am rather appalled at the police reaction. Turkey is usually a calm country.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #4

The Turks are protesting real issues. OWS was not. They just "hated rich people"

You can't base a political movement on jealousy.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
The Turks are protesting real issues. OWS was not. They just "hated rich people"

This is true.... I used a bad example, but I think my point was clear...ish?
Old 05-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Wasn't Sweden suffering from riots as well?

Once youth unemployment hits a tipping point shit will hit the fan.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
always amazed how the rest of the world really tries to hold their government to account for what they find unjust

but here in canada we're like about issues far more serious

Last edited by StylinRed; 06-01-2013 at 09:37 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post

That was more of an anti-police/pro-Islamic riot.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #9

Quote:

yep

Sweden's riots: A blazing surprise | The Economist

Last edited by StylinRed; 05-31-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:31 PM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Quote:

Yes, I agree with this, whether true or not.

The higher the unemployment rate of YOUNG people in a city/country, the higher incidence rate of riots.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I seriously thought this thread was going to be about turkey...like the bird.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Some times I am amused by the world support protest like this get and how many of us are sympathetic to their fight.....all the while shitting on the Occupy Wallstreet peeps.

Now, don't get me wrong....the Occupy movement in Vancouver sank to a disastrous level and turned out to be a circus of hobos, but some times I feel we have more understanding for protests in far away lands....I dunno...I'm just rambling.

On topic, I support what they (protesters) are doing and am rather appalled at the police reaction. Turkey is usually a calm country.
I think people can tell the difference between a serious protest about real issues and one that's about bullshit.

And I was slightly more sympathetic to Occupy Wallstreet than Occupy Vancouver, which was just stupid. There's no other word for it...Occupy Vanccouver was stupid.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
This comment was made funnier because of your avatar. I literally lol'd.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:54 PM   #14
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Lets talk Turkey...

Cluck cluck cluck, BAWK BAWK...

The turkey has spoken.
-----------------------
On a serious note, in regards to high youth unemployment, I noticed that most riots (in news broadcasts anyway) consist of mostly young people, and this correlates with high youth unemployment statistics.

Turkey, on the whole, is one of the most democratic Islamic (majority) countries in the entire world, and the riots surprised me a little.

The next one, I believe, is Malaysia or Indonesia (either or).

Last edited by Marshall Placid; 06-01-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:59 PM   #15
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Police are packing people into the subway stations and throwing in tear gas, attacking hospitals where the injured are being treated. A man and a girl have reportedly been killed.
A Letter to the Rest of the World - CNN iReport
Old 05-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #16
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I think a huge difference between Turkey and Indonesia/Malaysia is Turkey strived to keep all religious practices no matter it is garbs or values, practices out of the government process.

Turkey had been in rivalry with Greece forever, but they are more or less cut from the same cloth.. heavy on gov employment and light on self enterprises. With gov basically broke and people currently employed don't want to retire.. basically you create a new underclass in "Southern Europe" ie Spain, Italy, Greece etc etc. Also I think cultural, due to the previous revolutions, people just realise it is safer to work for the gov, rather than start your own business and have it confiscated by the gov and you loose everything.

I think young people protesting just shows how disconnected and powerless young people feel when communicating with people in power.. also the power of social media for self organizing etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Placid View Post
Lets talk Turkey...
Turkey, on the whole, is one of the most democratic Islamic (majority) countries in the entire world, and the riots surprised me a little.

The next one, I believe, is Malaysia or Indonesia (either or).
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #17

Turkeys economy is doing great they're headed to be one of the top economies in the world; i dont think this is a social/economic strife riot this just seems like your typical riot where people resist change they do it a lot in that part of the world by 'that' i mean europe and asia

Last edited by StylinRed; 05-31-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #18
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Zionists sparked protests to overthrow the current regime. /notsrs

BUT, police are going a little too far here with "reasonable force". /srs
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #19
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I clicked in here expecting this ...
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #20
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
That's one jive turkey.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:07 AM   #21
I subscribe to Revscene

Really could this all be about trees and building a mall?

NWO water cannon
Country Background;
I believe the banking elites created a 1913 coup in Turkey when it was the Ottoman empire... and soon after the Armenian Genocide happened and later the Arabic script was changed to an English alphabet making the cultures books unreadable.

Today;
The people of this puppet state are scared of the government for its collusion with the ZioAmericans and recently the arrest of a militant (Zionist backed) holding chemical bombs in turkey... said to be planned on Turkey.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
Today;
The people of this puppet state are scared of the government for its collusion with the ZioAmericans and recently the arrest of a militant (Zionist backed) holding chemical bombs in turkey... said to be planned on Turkey.
Allow me to refute this statement, only to have you ignore my text and blame it on the Jews and the Americans in some rambling nonsensical post you pull from somebody's blog. Also, I can't wait to see what PressTV article you try to link to these protests.

Wait, let me save you the trouble on the last part there.

PressTV - Turkey protesters calls for resignation of Prime Minister Erdogan

Hm.. no American ties to this problem... Just wait, CiC will find evidence to counter the infallible Iranian propaganda machin..er... "PressTV"

I'm re-writing something I've found elsewhere with some sources.

In 2002 the AKP (an Islamist, conservative party) was elected to government and with them they brought a guy named Recep Tayyip Erdogan to head up the government.

CNN.com - Landslide win for Islamic party in Turkey - Nov. 4, 2002

Erdogan was banned from serving in public office five years prior for something called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedition yet became the country's Prime Minister.

They seem cool and for a while it seemed as if the country was set to join the European Union. Its a long process and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accession_of_Turkey_to_the_European_Union

Related link. It was formatted in a weird way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/09/wo...Recep%20Tayyip

Anyhow, the AKP was re-elected to the Turkish government in 2007 and uncovered a plot to overthrow the government by a secret shadow organization. James Bond shit up in here.

BBC NEWS | Europe | 'Deep state plot' grips Turkey

On the surface it seemed as if there were collaborators with this organization from the highest levels of the military, all over the government, etc. Look a little deeper and you can draw ties between the opponents of the AKP and the supposed members of this shadow organization.

Turkish prosecutors file indictment on controversial Ergenekon case

Don't look too deep tho because if you start asking questions you could find yourself in prison.

Coup-plotting allegations in Turkey: Bugged out | The Economist

We know that you don't question the government in Turkey. They'll jam a boot in your ass. But what happens when they go to far?

Well, thats where we're at now.

They've essentially taken Istanbul's "Central Park" and plan to turn it into a shopping mall. This is seen as the last straw. Queue the protests.

Oh, and Erdogan? Rather than listening to the people he says

"'The Taksim project will go ahead,' Erdogan said. 'If you bring 100,000, I'll bring out a million.'

Great democracy bro.

Oh, also video:

https://vimeo.com/67432788
Old 06-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #23
...in the world.

Have a friend that lives in Istanbul saying that police withdrawing, crowds have won, huge celebrations going on somewhere called Taksim.

This was 3 hours ago.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #24
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post

im sure alot of the people were just bandwagoners, but OWS had legitimate gripes. you cant deny that financial institutions used highly unethical, sometimes downright illegal practices and pretty much singlehandedly fucked the economy for a bit
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #25
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
im sure alot of the people were just bandwagoners, but OWS had legitimate gripes. you cant deny that financial institutions used highly unethical, sometimes downright illegal practices and pretty much singlehandedly fucked the economy for a bit
occupy vancouver was stupid.

But you cant deny that Occupy WALL STREET had good intentions, and in the end brought up many legitimate topics that are of concern to society, like wealth & income inequality, unemployment, financial and government corruption and wrong-doings, well as other social concerns that may affect us in the near future.

Regardless of whose fault it is, it's safe to assume that weather you're rich or poor, extreme wealth inequality will be a problem for society in general.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: