REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #876
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
TypeRNammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,214
Thanked 2,595 Times in 732 Posts
Crossed back into the Canadian Side, the border guard on the nexus lane asked me if I have been in contact with anyone that has ebola.

Sort of threw me off guard after declaring groceries and gas.
Advertisement
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
Or you meet some girl at the club, cum inside of her, find out shes only in grade 12, so you buy a Prada bag for her to make things right, she finds out the bag is a fake and decides to have the kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #877
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
m3thods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 2,949
Thanked 957 Times in 537 Posts
^I wonder what they could be fishing for with respect to a response. It's not like one would go "OK I HAVE DRUGS IN THE CAR" in response to that question. So odd.
m3thods is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:46 PM   #878
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,286
Thanked 5,396 Times in 1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
^I wonder what they could be fishing for with respect to a response. It's not like one would go "OK I HAVE DRUGS IN THE CAR" in response to that question. So odd.
Or that they are taking simple measures to prevent the spread of an infectious and fatal disease.
CRS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #879
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
m3thods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 2,949
Thanked 957 Times in 537 Posts
How would the normal layperson know they were in contact with someone with Ebola unless they were recently in a place that had confirmed cases (which when I last checked, didn't include Washington State)?

I don't mean to sound argumentative, but there are more effective ways to prevent the spread of a deadly disease than to simply ask a Canadian citizen driving across the border from Washington State whether they came into contact with anyone with Ebola.
m3thods is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:05 PM   #880
Not a mod
 
SoulCrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 1,302
Thanked 459 Times in 119 Posts
^ care to elaborate. Would you rather they do blood tests for everyone coming across the border?

Last I checked there is an International Airport 2 hrs south of the border.
SoulCrusher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #881
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Hehe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: YVR/TPE
Posts: 2,687
Thanked 1,239 Times in 503 Posts
I think they ask as a precaution. Assuming one has met anyone that could be at high risk of Ebola, the border personnels could maybe put the person on a watch list of some sort, and if that person starts to have symptoms, the hospital can be prepared in advance to prevent any further spread.
__________________
Nothing for now
Hehe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #882
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 92
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
sorry, i wasn't clear, you're right, pre-ship, but post tax. you are right that you do not get taxed on a service such as shipping, but all other direct costs, yes
Are you guys 100% sure you're not supposed to get charged for the shipping portion of it too? I paid nearly a $100 to ship a bedroom set to the border and I was charged taxes on the total dollar amount after shipping costs. So if that were true, I got screwed and will know for next time

JL
JL23 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:32 AM   #883
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
m3thods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 2,949
Thanked 957 Times in 537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulCrusher View Post
^ care to elaborate. Would you rather they do blood tests for everyone coming across the border?

Last I checked there is an International Airport 2 hrs south of the border.
I was speaking in more general terms with respect to the world reducing the spread of ebola, but if you must hear some less than invasive methods of checking compared to doing blood tests:

- Check passport stamps for countries that have known ebola cases
- Ask more specific questions like "did you travel to Dallas/NY"

And for the world in general:

-ban commercial travel to/from countries where the epidemic is rampant. This would exclude humanitarian efforts in the area, and at the same time you can take those same people back for a 2 week quarantine.

The point to my first comment is that asking if people came into contact with ebola is pointless, and I thought of it more as a tactic to throw people off to fish for other tells or information that may interest the border guards.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I think they ask as a precaution. Assuming one has met anyone that could be at high risk of Ebola, the border personnels could maybe put the person on a watch list of some sort, and if that person starts to have symptoms, the hospital can be prepared in advance to prevent any further spread.
How would the watch be implemented? You can either detain people at the border or let them go. There's no way they can shadow you and wait for you to get symptoms even if they suspect you might be a risk.
m3thods is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:51 AM   #884
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Hehe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: YVR/TPE
Posts: 2,687
Thanked 1,239 Times in 503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post


How would the watch be implemented? You can either detain people at the border or let them go. There's no way they can shadow you and wait for you to get symptoms even if they suspect you might be a risk.
No need to detain anyone. If a dude met another person that could be at high risk, they tell the border guys, they add the dude on a list. If such name comes up at any hospital, red alert. (assuming the dude calls in before going to hospital/call an ambulance)

Again, it's being precautious.. not quarantine.
__________________
Nothing for now
Hehe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:52 AM   #885
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Abbotsford
Posts: 2,356
Thanked 1,007 Times in 323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL23 View Post
Are you guys 100% sure you're not supposed to get charged for the shipping portion of it too? I paid nearly a $100 to ship a bedroom set to the border and I was charged taxes on the total dollar amount after shipping costs. So if that were true, I got screwed and will know for next time

JL

CBSA has always asked me the returning amount minus shipping costs.

That's why when buying on eBay I try to find items with high shipping and low buy it now
cdizzle_996 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #886
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 17,791
Thanked 7,323 Times in 2,944 Posts
At the Silver Thief enjoying my free prime rib buffet. Once a year. It's not my birthday, but members get one free buffet per calendar year. Gas here is pretty cheap. The one bad thing about Silver Reef is its not off the freeway or close to it. Neither is Northwoods, but at least Norhwoods is 10 minutes from Sumas and 5 from Aldergrove crossing. Im off to Norhwods after this where it's 100 for 100 today.
MG1 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #887
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
geeknerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,024
Thanked 376 Times in 161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
I was speaking in more general terms with respect to the world reducing the spread of ebola, but if you must hear some less than invasive methods of checking compared to doing blood tests:

- Check passport stamps for countries that have known ebola cases
- Ask more specific questions like "did you travel to Dallas/NY"

And for the world in general:

-ban commercial travel to/from countries where the epidemic is rampant. This would exclude humanitarian efforts in the area, and at the same time you can take those same people back for a 2 week quarantine.

The point to my first comment is that asking if people came into contact with ebola is pointless, and I thought of it more as a tactic to throw people off to fish for other tells or information that may interest the border guards.




How would the watch be implemented? You can either detain people at the border or let them go. There's no way they can shadow you and wait for you to get symptoms even if they suspect you might be a risk.
It's a simple question. They probably expect a NO but I'm sure they have some procedures ready if a person said yes. it also makes citizens feel like the border is being productive, canada is safe, etc. i would assume they have some power ex, 'we'll let you in on the condition you take a blood test..., or visit a hospital to get checkd out, etc'
geeknerd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:04 AM   #888
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 17,791
Thanked 7,323 Times in 2,944 Posts
Just got back from the US and sure enough, they asked me if I had been to Africa in the last 21 days.

Last edited by MG1; 10-26-2014 at 06:37 AM.
MG1 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #889
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles
 
LP700-4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,889
Thanked 3,435 Times in 848 Posts
Is it true that HK and American residents are exempt from being taxed going back into Canada?
__________________
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - Kinda Stock/DD
10' Yamaha Blue FZ6R
LP700-4 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #890
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Traum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise, BC
Posts: 2,423
Thanked 1,761 Times in 775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
Is it true that HK and American residents are exempt from being taxed going back into Canada?
Traum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #891
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles
 
LP700-4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,889
Thanked 3,435 Times in 848 Posts
that's what family friend is trying to tell us. Still no clue
__________________
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - Kinda Stock/DD
10' Yamaha Blue FZ6R
LP700-4 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #892
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
cunninglinguist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 562
Thanked 165 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Just got back from the US and sure enough, they asked me if I had been to Africa in the last 21 days.
I went to Point Roberts today and the guard didn't ask me. Probably more strict at the main terminals.
cunninglinguist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #893
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here
 
hchang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: West Coast
Posts: 4,590
Thanked 2,690 Times in 621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
Is it true that HK and American residents are exempt from being taxed going back into Canada?
Yeah if you're a resident outside of Canada who's visiting Canada, and went down to states for gift shopping you're exempt from duty tax coming back into the country.
hchang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #894
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
604dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: EastVan
Posts: 361
Thanked 322 Times in 52 Posts
So im gonna be heading to seattle in the next week. mainly gonna be around downtown so im wondering wheres a good store to buy supplements down there? I wanna grab whey protein, fish supps, vitamins and also what are the restrictions and limit on bringing back supplements across the border?
thanks
604dragon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:15 PM   #895
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Hehe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: YVR/TPE
Posts: 2,687
Thanked 1,239 Times in 503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604dragon View Post
So im gonna be heading to seattle in the next week. mainly gonna be around downtown so im wondering wheres a good store to buy supplements down there? I wanna grab whey protein, fish supps, vitamins and also what are the restrictions and limit on bringing back supplements across the border?
thanks
I have always gotten better deals online than any B&M store. I'd recommend ordering online, have it shipped to borders and pick them up.
__________________
Nothing for now
Hehe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:31 AM   #896
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 15
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mostly just gas its cheaper
dotdot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:03 AM   #897
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
Akinari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: inside a box
Posts: 3,651
Thanked 4,330 Times in 1,119 Posts
Declared my $254 cat-back, got called in to pay taxes. My only credit card wasn't working for some reason and bank was empty, no cash on me either.

$34 tax, lady waved me through just told me to go, said she doesn't want to make a big hassle with Nexus cardholders.

So lucky
__________________
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:59 AM   #898
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Abbotsford
Posts: 2,356
Thanked 1,007 Times in 323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Declared my $254 cat-back, got called in to pay taxes. My only credit card wasn't working for some reason and bank was empty, no cash on me either.

$34 tax, lady waved me through just told me to go, said she doesn't want to make a big hassle with Nexus cardholders.

So lucky

Time for a job
cdizzle_996 is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2014, 08:20 AM   #899
MiX iT Up!
 
tiger_handheld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 7,559
Thanked 1,856 Times in 743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Declared my $254 cat-back, got called in to pay taxes. My only credit card wasn't working for some reason and bank was empty, no cash on me either.

$34 tax, lady waved me through just told me to go, said she doesn't want to make a big hassle with Nexus cardholders.

So lucky
$254 cat back
$0 in bank account

Priorities are in order!
__________________

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.


Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #900
MOD
 
Gh0stRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: VANCOUVER
Posts: 26,124
Thanked 6,655 Times in 1,721 Posts
got questioned about ebola on my back from blaine.

"have you been in contact with anyone that has ebola?"
"have you visited any other countries in the 3 weeks?"
__________________
M0D3RAT0R


Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback


Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net