REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #51
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
What needs to happen is ICBC needs to be way more stringent when it comes to international drivers. It is ridiculous that "students" can use the foreign DL for the whole time they are here for school. No testing, nothing, and they bring over these DL's that is near impossible to prove is real, since there is nowhere we can go to compare the validity of them. I don't understand why ICBC does not make it mandatory for all driver's that are residing in BC for longer than a month, but are still visiting, to obtain some kind of valid short term licence.
Legally you are at most allowed to use a non-BC driver's license for six months: that's as long as you're allowed to claim you're 'visiting'. International driver's licenses actually only permit you to use them for 3 months before you've got to switch over to one that's from the area (read the fine print).

The problem, however, is exactly the same as all the people who drive on suspended licenses: the only time you get your license checked is when you do something wrong and get caught for it. So, I guess that means we need more cops on the streets checking for traffic infractions?
Advertisement
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #52
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
The problem, however, is exactly the same as all the people who drive on suspended licenses: the only time you get your license checked is when you do something wrong and get caught for it. So, I guess that means we need more cops on the streets checking for traffic infractions?
when you have your license suspended, do they attatch it to your vehicle?(never even had a ticket*knock on wood* so I don't know these things)

if so, they should just put one of those police cars with the plate scanners on the bridges, every car that pops up with an attachment saying that the registered owner has a suspended license, just pull em over and do a quick dbl check as to whos driving.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #53
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
if so, they should just put one of those police cars with the plate scanners on the bridges, every car that pops up with an attachment saying that the registered owner has a suspended license, just pull em over and do a quick dbl check as to whos driving.
That's what they already do.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:10 AM   #54
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Surprised no one read past the part about 40km/h, which says:

"where it was necessary to have it 50, 60, 70 kilometres an hour, then it would be signed"

This could mean places where everyone speeds anyways, like Marine Drive or Knight Street, could receive higher speed limits by their posted sign, and places where people ought to be driving slower (narrow part of 12th street, pedestrian laden parts of Fraser) will not have a sign.

We may just see more signs everywhere showing what the speed limit is. The whole city could have signs that say 50kph, meanwhile a few streets are sign-less so they are 40kph.

Consider weighing both the potential benefits and drawbacks before concluding that lowering the speed limit is a bad thing. Right now, this article hasn't quantified anything, it just proposes a new rule which gives city road engineers more room to fine tune traffic speeds.
alpinestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #55
I subscribe to Revscene

This doesn't give city engineers any more room to fine tune traffic speeds than our current statutory speed limits.

City councils are free to set speed limits for individual roads at will now, and will be free to continue to do so.

What this will do is see minor and major roads that fall under the statutory limit of 50 reduced to 40 unless they're all re-signed at 50, with city bylaws written to allow 50.

If the will doesn't presently exist to increase the limit on Marine, Knight, etc... then it likely won't after the limit is dropped.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #56
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shell...79257022149489

Dumb broads page..
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #57
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestars View Post

"where it was necessary to have it 50, 60, 70 kilometres an hour, then it would be signed"

This could mean places where everyone speeds anyways, like Marine Drive or Knight Street, could receive higher speed limits by their posted sign, and places where people ought to be driving slower (narrow part of 12th street, pedestrian laden parts of Fraser) will not have a sign.

We may just see more signs everywhere showing what the speed limit is. The whole city could have signs that say 50kph, meanwhile a few streets are sign-less so they are 40kph.

Consider weighing both the potential benefits and drawbacks before concluding that lowering the speed limit is a bad thing. Right now, this article hasn't quantified anything, it just proposes a new rule which gives city road engineers more room to fine tune traffic speeds.
Undoubtedly, I saw that when I was reading the article. But then, what's the point of lowering the speed limit to 40km/h when they are still gonna put up signs for higher speeds, which would then be starting at 50km/h?

The thing to consider is, for the majority of roads that are capable of 50km/h, are there more of them around? or are there more roads (not side streets) where 40km/h should be the norm? If there are more roads suitable for 50km/h than those suitable for 40km/h, it makes more financial sense to stick with the current 50km/h unposted speed limit, and sign the 40km/h roads instead of doing it the other way around. And currently, I 100% believe we have more roads where the speed limit should be set at 50km/h than 40km/h.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #58
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestars View Post

If a major arterial road like Knight or Marine is not already signed to a higher limit, they're not going to raise it once the defaults change to 40.
Quote:

If the majority of the streets will be re-signed to stay at 50km/h, that would be a massive expense for pretty much nothing. If the majority of streets can stay at 50, why not keep the default at 50?
Quote:

This rule wouldn't give city workers any more room or tools than they already have now to tune speeds. They'd just be starting from a 10km/h lower baseline.

This Gudgeon woman pisses me off. What might be a good idea for her pimple of a community, doesn't mean it's good for all of BC. A dense urban community like James Bay has about as much in common with a rural BC town as an apple has in common with an orange.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #59
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
when you have your license suspended, do they attatch it to your vehicle?(never even had a ticket*knock on wood* so I don't know these things)

if you are the registered owner of the vehicle, and your vehicle is run, then it will show the attached driver's licence, along with its suspension/prohibition

Quote:
Legally you are at most allowed to use a non-BC driver's license for six months: that's as long as you're allowed to claim you're 'visiting'. International driver's licenses actually only permit you to use them for 3 months before you've got to switch over to one that's from the area (read the fine print).

International students do not need to apply for an International drivers licence. If they can prove that they are full time students, they can use their illegible foreign licences (for as long as they are in school), but are required to have translation papers, and ICBC's authorization stamp/signature.

http://www.icbc.com/faqs/questions/s...ovince-licence
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #60
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
if you are the registered owner of the vehicle, and your vehicle is run, then it will show the attached driver's licence, along with its suspension/prohibition

International students do not need to apply for an International drivers licence. If they can prove that they are full time students, they can use their illegible foreign licences (for as long as they are in school), but are required to have translation papers, and ICBC's authorization stamp/signature.

ICBC | FAQs | Im a student coming to BC and I have an
First: it's eligible.
Second: I would call ICBC to make sure that's the way it goes. ICBC (the licensing branch in BC) says:
Splash page: ICBC | Moving to BC
Quote:
Welcome to B.C.!

You have 90 days to switch over your licence after moving to B.C.
Detailed info page: ICBC | Moving from another country
Quote:
[b]What country are you from?[b]
There are different licensing requirements depending on where you’re from. B.C. has reciprocal agreements with certain countries, including the U.S. If you’re from one of the following countries and have enough driving experience, you can usually get your licence right away:
Quote:
Austria Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man South Korea (not motorcycles)
Australia Japan Switzerland
France Netherlands* United Kingdom**
Germany New Zealand United States***
I've had students of mine pulled over and told to show up at the officer's detachment within seven days to prove that they've switched out their licenses. Having the double-standard of "You must change within 90 days" to "You can keep your own country's license" results in some serious chaos within the force. I would expect that the internationals keeping their licenses would most likely apply mainly to exchange students, not to students doing full degree programs...but again, a call to ICBC would clear that all up, since the site does say "For more information call...".
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #61
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
First: it's eligible.
Second: I would call ICBC to make sure that's the way it goes. ICBC (the licensing branch in BC) says:
Splash page: ICBC | Moving to BC

Detailed info page: ICBC | Moving from another country

I've had students of mine pulled over and told to show up at the officer's detachment within seven days to prove that they've switched out their licenses. Having the double-standard of "You must change within 90 days" to "You can keep your own country's license" results in some serious chaos within the force. I would expect that the internationals keeping their licenses would most likely apply mainly to exchange students, not to students doing full degree programs...but again, a call to ICBC would clear that all up, since the site does say "For more information call...".
First: I meant what I said, when I said illegible as I don't read Chinese or any foreign language for that matter http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/illegible?s=t

Second: I have called ICBC in the past for verification. Students can use their foreign licence as long as they are full time students. They must swap for a BCDL if they plan on becoming a resident or prolong their visitation, more than (I think it is 6 months). The reason why your students may have been forced to get a BCDL is probably because of;

1) they had foreign licences that the police officer could not prove was real/read (as I posted in my initial post, there is no way for cops to ensure the foreign licence is "real")

2) the officer was misinformed
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #62
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Big waste of time and energy spent debating something the mass mass majority of British columbians just don't care about!!!

The speed limits that are in place are rarely enforced as it is, I don't think dropping the unposted speed limit by 10km/hr is going to have any impact whatsoever on how traffic moves or how the police just don't enforce the speed limits. (maybe in some areas they do but I actually get pleased when I see a cop pulling someone over for speeding where I live, its such a rare sight)
xSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #63
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Very informative youtube video about speed limits and why they are TOOOOOO LOOOOWWW in BC.

[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #64
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
The only reason why they want to lower the speed limit is if you go over 80km they can tow your vehicle for a week and make money off of the offenders. The current speed limit which is 50km, the offender would have to travel at the speed of 90km in order for them to get impounded. By lowering the speed limit, they can now impound you going over 80km an hour, which the city knows is the ultimate money grab. It keeps the local tow truck drivers and impound lots busy. The city is looking at revenue here. Plain and simple.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #65
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollagtSr5 View Post
The only reason why they want to lower the speed limit is if you go over 80km they can tow your vehicle for a week and make money off of the offenders. The current speed limit which is 50km, the offender would have to travel at the speed of 90km in order for them to get impounded. By lowering the speed limit, they can now impound you going over 80km an hour, which the city knows is the ultimate money grab. It keeps the local tow truck drivers and impound lots busy. The city is looking at revenue here. Plain and simple.
Excessive speeding is a huge pain in the ass for police officers to process, takes up a good couple hours. I highly doubt municipalities and POLICE CHIEFS are willing to tie up cops for hours on end just to make a little extra chump change in the grand scheme of things.
jaguar604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #66
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollagtSr5 View Post
The only reason why they want to lower the speed limit is if you go over 80km they can tow your vehicle for a week and make money off of the offenders.
Not true. I've been following this for quite a while in Victoria. Special interest groups and misguided city councillors think lowering the default speed limit will make neighbourhoods quieter, safer, cleaner and will get more people cycling and riding bikes.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #67
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar604 View Post
Excessive speeding is a huge pain in the ass for police officers to process, takes up a good couple hours. I highly doubt municipalities and POLICE CHIEFS are willing to tie up cops for hours on end just to make a little extra chump change in the grand scheme of things.
Uhhh yes they are, its not chump change, its one of the main ways that our police system is funded...
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Very informative youtube video about speed limits and why they are TOOOOOO LOOOOWWW in BC.

Speed Kills Your Pocketbook - YouTube
I have no idea how you found this but it is brilliant. EVERY MAN, WOMEN AND CHILD SHOULD WATCH THIS VIDEO.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #69
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Uhhh yes they are, its not chump change, its one of the main ways that our police system is funded...
Police departments are paid primarily through property taxes, not traffic fine revenue. It is true that the province returns a portion of traffic revenue back to the municipalities, but it's not a "main source of revenue" for the police departments.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Police departments are paid primarily through property taxes, not traffic fine revenue. It is true that the province returns a portion of traffic revenue back to the municipalities, but it's not a "main source of revenue" for the police departments.
If you have only three streams of revenue, then it makes sens that atleast the two largest be considered "Main"...
Old 09-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #71
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Proposal to lower the speed limit rejected! But photo reader might return ( still needs government approval).

Municipal leaders vote down proposal for lower speed limits in B.C. | Globalnews.ca
Old 09-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #72
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
The reduction of unposted speeds down to 40 km/h was never going to get approved. It drew the attention it did only because the mere suggestion of it is so ludicrous (and the Victoria councillor that brought it up looked the part as well).
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #73
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Next proposal: Barricades for each lane, lined with pillows.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #74
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,819 Times in 2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
Next proposal: Barricades for each lane, lined with pillows.
just like bowling bumpers!

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: