REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #26
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brz86 View Post
Hey Guys,

so ya i was going a little to quick and got pulled over for excessive speeding tonight. my car got impounded for 7 days. now there are some things im unsure about and hoping someone maybe able to fill me in?

I have my N with ICBC
Now I realize the ticket/points will eventually go on my license in about a month or so unless I dispute it which maybe kind of pointless as I will loose most likely and it will still go on my license eventually and when it does I will most likey loose my license so its really just delaying it it seems.

Now I need to drive for my job daily so I am definitely going to need to figure something out or change positions at work or maybe even transfer across the country or something as I got bills to pay and cant be without a job.

My concern is the impoundment itself though for speeding, does ICBC get a copy of that or just the RCMP and the Tow yard. If ICBC does get a copy can they pull my license for that alone or only when the points go on my license?

This really sucks. I know what I did was wrong speeding but we all do it sometimes. Its not right in my opinion that you car ruin someones life/career for just speeding. Im all for paying tickets and I own up to my mistakes but pulling someones license when they caused no harm is not right. I may have been going a little quick on the hwy.. I was being passed all day long though driving home. I just was unlucky.

Any other suggestions...besides the obvious dont speed and it wouldnt have happend.....

any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

This really sucks I know
Quote:
I agree with you 100% i usually keep it 30km over, but when your cruising with a few of your friends trying to keep pace with a 911 turbo.... well I broke the 30km over rule and now I'm screwed.

The reason the license may be gone is because I have my "N" which is for new drivers. And well when you have an N ICBC can and will pull your license whenever they can. Its just the way it is here....
OP - I bought your story on the first post. An unlucky situation that caused you pain and suffering, while potentially driving home from a hard days work. #thenitallchanged

If your ass tried to keep pace with a Porche 911 with a bunch of buddies egging you on, your dumbass knew exactly wtf you were doing. Get your buddies to drive your ass to client sites - stop being a bitch!
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Would've stood a chance if it were a boxster

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION

Last edited by SpeedStars; 10-26-2013 at 11:27 PM.
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #28
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
OP - I bought your story on the first post. An unlucky situation that caused you pain and suffering, while potentially driving home from a hard days work. #thenitallchanged

If your ass tried to keep pace with a Porche 911 with a bunch of buddies egging you on, your dumbass knew exactly wtf you were doing. Get your buddies to drive your ass to client sites - stop being a bitch!
Yes because a 911 turbo going balls out wouldn't be pulled but the BRZ trying to keep up would... /sarcasm

Obviously the 911 was just cruising quickly.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #29
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
I work in tech support for a internet company, going onsite driving work vans to fix customers services.

If im able to switch positions and do phone support or something temporarily that would work.

If i can delay loosing my license I could request to transfer to alberta and work/live out there and transfer my license to alberta and stay out there until i can move/drive in bc again.
Transferring to Alberta to evade the penalty is not an option. Suspensions in British Columbia apply in Alberta, and provinces do communicate to one another on DL suspensions.

Jackal's suggestion is the only option, but it's not without risk. The JP and Officer are entitled to increase the severity of the charges or penalties in court. The JP and Officer's compassion to a class 7 driver travelling 55km/h over the posted limit in a street race will also be very low, so consider this course of action carefully.

You weren't driving "a little quick," nor were you "just unlucky." You're essentially unforgiving. I hope your HR person is a saint, because you may well lose your job. You'll be forgiving then. And that's why suspensions exist.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #30
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
You can argue whether the speed limits are fair or not all you want. We all KNOW, even if you go 1+ over you technically risk a ticket. It usually doesn't happen. Going 40+ you are giving any Police Officer a reason to pull you over. Being an N, you whether you agree with the laws or not, you should be extra diligent in obeying them, at LEAST until you get your class 5. You did this to yourself. Go dispute it, and tell the JP that the reason you did it was because "40kms over on a highway which is what they consider excessive in BC is not excessive in my opinion". Please tell me the date, time, and location of your hearing, I would LOVE to be there to watch.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #31
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I was the young guy with my N and a 2013 Subaru BRZ so i think thats why he chose to go after me and he said I was the one he clocked. The cop claims I was doing 135km in and 80km which I still dont think is true but ya It was definitely a little quick but not for the traffic or road conditions but cops dont care about that lol
Were you born in 86'?
Old 10-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #32

Oh god you make a good point, if you dispute it and it goes to court... Having felony racing on a highway tacked on would make your life hell, they could even seize and auction off your car...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 10-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
in obeying them, at LEAST until you get your class 5. You did this to yourself. Go dispute it, and tell the JP that the reason you did it was because "40kms over on a highway which is what they consider excessive in BC is not excessive in my opinion". Please tell me the date, time, and location of your hearing, I would LOVE to be there to watch.
Because having that opinion totally means he's going to share it in a court of law with the JP, right? Please use your brain and understand the difference between an opinion you have in your personal life, and something you would say in a public/legal setting.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 10-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #34
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Were you born in 86'?
Toyota 86 I'm guessing
Acethriller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #35
Rs has made me the man i am today!

A Vehicle Impound report gets faxed to the OSMV (Supt Motor Veh's) along with the written report. The office of the Supt will most likely send you a letter in the mail directing you to surrender your licence, because you have an N licence.

You and your car may be perfectly capable of doing 135 on Hwy 1 or whatever highway, BUT you don't have any control on outside factors (road debris, animals, unexpected pedestrians/traffic) and you just can't change physics.

People think the current speed limits are too slow.... well just look at how many accidents happen with the current speed limits. Think of how easy it was to actually get your driver's licence in this province.

You get different treatment from ICBC when you have your N licence because you haven't EARNED your Class 5.

Driving is a privilege and NOT your right. Some people need to MAN UP to the decisions they make, especially when they know the potential consequences before hand. Are you a man or are you a boy?
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #36
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
.... plus, having private property seized without a trial is against the Charter or rights and freedoms (Canada's constitution)
I wish their was an easy way to fight that, It would be awesome to be able to get tow and impound fees back haha, I know thats just dreaming though....
Good luck with that.

Having property SEIZED (implying it's taken never to be returned) may be against the charter... having a vehicle IMPOUNDED for a TEMPORARY period isn't. If it were, they'd never be allowed to tow you for parking in a handicap space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatune View Post

Driving is a privilege and NOT your right. Some people need to MAN UP to the decisions they make, especially when they know the potential consequences before hand. Are you a man or are you a boy?
Yes, because driving too fast totally separates the men from the boys.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #38
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,719 Times in 392 Posts
Aint going to get any sympathy here.

Man up, pay it, and tell your employer right away. If you lose your job just sell your car. Its a 2013 BRZ for christ sakes.
1982 TE72
1988 5.0
1990 S13 Coupe
2006 Mazda B4000 4x4
1987 Ae86 Coupe
1988 Cressida Wagon
1985 Cressida 7m Swap
1987 Ae86 Hatch
1989 FC
cressydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #39
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,044 Times in 2,077 Posts
I think ninjatune is saying men take responsibility and don't whine about losing their license (and in turn, possibly their job) when they drive like a retard, going 55 over the limit fucking around with a Porche 911.

You receive no sympathy from me, OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #40
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
As a cop once told me as I was going 20 over the speed limit, "you don't own the road."
Old 10-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #41
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
Because having that opinion totally means he's going to share it in a court of law with the JP, right? Please use your brain and understand the difference between an opinion you have in your personal life, and something you would say in a public/legal setting.
People won't share that in court because people with that mentality know they are making excuses for themselves. People like him use that same excuse because they hear others arguing about it. He's a class 7 driver who probably has little to no experience driving elsewhere, and he is comparing roads in BC to speed limits in other provinces/countries. So tell me this, what should be the speed limit? How fast should someone be allowed to go until people stop "bitching" about not getting from point a to point b MINUTES faster, because they woke up late for work, or are just in a rush because they are morons.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #42

Quote:
People won't share that in court because people with that mentality know they are making excuses for themselves. People like him use that same excuse because they hear others arguing about it. He's a class 7 driver who probably has little to no experience driving elsewhere, and he is comparing roads in BC to speed limits in other provinces/countries. So tell me this, what should be the speed limit? How fast should someone be allowed to go until people stop "bitching" about not getting from point a to point b MINUTES faster, because they woke up late for work, or are just in a rush because they are morons.
As so many studies have shown, the speed limits should be set at the speed 85% of traffic drives at. Is that 90km/h? 140m/h? i don't know, but that's what is safest according to a whole bunch of very knowledgeable people.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 10-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #43
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
As so many studies have shown, the speed limits should be set at the speed 85% of traffic drives at. Is that 90km/h? 140m/h? i don't know, but that's what is safest according to a whole bunch of very knowledgeable people.
even if that is true, like you said, it is completely subjective.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #44
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Its not right in my opinion that you car ruin someones life/career for just speeding. Im all for paying tickets and I own up to my mistakes but pulling someones license when they caused no harm is not right. I may have been going a little quick on the hwy.. I was being passed all day long though driving home. I just was unlucky.
First off, you know the rules, you know exactly what happens when you go 40+ over the speed limit. You knew that would compromise your car, and also compromise your life/career.

2nd, caused no harm? you went 55 over! Even if you don't agree with the cop saying you went 135, he's got a leeway of 15km/h before he'd be wrong. Even without a radar, you really think a cop would guess your speed that poorly? A little quick is maybe 100, 135 is a different game.

You were unlucky? Yeah, by not thinking ahead.

as for your questions...unfortunately, it's going to be a tough time for work.

Last edited by entrax; 10-27-2013 at 01:24 PM.
entrax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #45
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
How fast should someone be allowed to go until people stop "bitching" about not getting from point a to point b MINUTES faster, because they woke up late for work, or are just in a rush because they are morons.
Or just "I was pissed that day...", "I was trying to keep up with my buddies in their 911 Turbos"
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #46
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Or just "I was pissed that day...", "I was trying to keep up with my buddies in their 911 Turbos"
"I had a bad day at work, everyone else drives that fast on that road, I didn't know that was a right-turn-only lane..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #47
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
No sympathies for you, you deserved the damn fine and impound. Man up and take accountability for your lack of judgement. I'm no saint but I know damn well about the consequences if I were to get caught and how important it is for me to keep a clean driver's abstract because my career relies on it.

However, as someone else said in this thread, your best bet would be to dispute it if you can take your class 5 road test within like 6 months. Your ticket PROBABLY won't be overturned and you'll still get points on your license but at least you can escape a suspension and therefore not lose your job.

If you didn't come across as whiney as you did, you probably wouldn't be bashed on lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #48
I don't get it

As far as I know, there is no real difference between excessive speeding and normal speeding in terms with icbc ( 3 points for each). However, the difference comes in with driver premiums which just means you have to pay an extra fee every year for excessive. Now, I would dispute the ticket regardless because that would mean the ticket does not show up on your record until at least your court date which means you can get your class 5 in between now and your court date.

If you choose to pay the ticket, on your next birthday, you will get a letter from ICBC saying that you are on probation due to speeding (this is regardless of excessive or normal speeding) and any other infractions will cause a reset to your N. The probation lasts until you get your class 5. You will not lose your license afaik just from excessive speeding but you can always check with icbc.

One last thing is, they don't automatically take your license away but the officer can choose to ask icbc to take your license away ( happened to a friend in which the officer said if he plead innocent at the trial and if he were to lose, then the officer would ask to take my friends license away whereas if he plead guilty, then the officer would not do it)
dygital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #49
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Yeah the drivers risk premiums is the lame part. I learned my lesson, and then I got a $320 notice almost a year later. And I will have one for both the next two years as well. Overall my excessive speeding cost me about $2000. They REALLY want to drill the lesson home. And I think it works, its a shitty way to learn but it works...

Quote:
People think the current speed limits are too slow.... well just look at how many accidents happen with the current speed limits.
You my friend need to go watch the speed sense video again, cause clearly you didnt get the message.

Speed limits on the roads should be set at the speed that 85% of the people travel at. that means that on the upper levels where I don't see a single person going below 100 it should be atleast 100 instead of the 80/90 it is now. Hwy 1 through burnaby and coquitlam should be 100 as well (Fingers crossed it will be that speed after the construction wraps up), and everything beyond the portmann should be 110 or higher.

I am not in any part defending what the OP did, as he was for sure going faster than everyone else at that time.

Quote:
Think of how easy it was to actually get your driver's licence in this province.

So they should keep speed limits artificially too low, because their stupid graduating licensing program is a massive piece of shit. Seems legit...

Or maybe they should work on improving the graduated licensing program and actually keep all the idiots that can't drive off the road until they learn how to train them...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread

Last edited by meme405; 10-27-2013 at 07:07 PM.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #50
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
@ Ninjatune here:

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: