REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bc
Posts: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Got my car impounded for speeding, I have some questions about ICBC??

Hey Guys,

so ya i was going a little to quick and got pulled over for excessive speeding tonight. my car got impounded for 7 days. now there are some things im unsure about and hoping someone maybe able to fill me in?

I have my N with ICBC
Now I realize the ticket/points will eventually go on my license in about a month or so unless I dispute it which maybe kind of pointless as I will loose most likely and it will still go on my license eventually and when it does I will most likey loose my license so its really just delaying it it seems.

Now I need to drive for my job daily so I am definitely going to need to figure something out or change positions at work or maybe even transfer across the country or something as I got bills to pay and cant be without a job.

My concern is the impoundment itself though for speeding, does ICBC get a copy of that or just the RCMP and the Tow yard. If ICBC does get a copy can they pull my license for that alone or only when the points go on my license?

This really sucks. I know what I did was wrong speeding but we all do it sometimes. Its not right in my opinion that you car ruin someones life/career for just speeding. Im all for paying tickets and I own up to my mistakes but pulling someones license when they caused no harm is not right. I may have been going a little quick on the hwy.. I was being passed all day long though driving home. I just was unlucky.

Any other suggestions...besides the obvious dont speed and it wouldnt have happend.....

any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

This really sucks I know
Advertisement
brz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Y
Posts: 1,495
Thanked 1,345 Times in 379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brz86 View Post
This really sucks. I know what I did was wrong speeding but we all do it sometimes. Its not right in my opinion that you car ruin someones life/career for just speeding. Im all for paying tickets and I own up to my mistakes but pulling someones license when they caused no harm is not right. I may have been going a little quick on the hwy.. I was being passed all day long though driving home. I just was unlucky.

What.

So it's right to speed and cause harm / danger / dealth to other road users?
If you were pissed that day (assuming that's your typo), maybe you should have just taken the bus/cab home instead of expressing your anger on the road. Last thing our BC road need, is another reckless driver.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
hk20000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Richmond
Posts: 8,637
Thanked 1,356 Times in 508 Posts
Wow your English.... is awesome.

Anyway the impoundment itself is not what ICBC looks at. It's the excessive speeding ticket that caused the impoundment that will get you points and make a difference in ICBC. And whatever arrangement ICBC will have with ur N license you already agreed to when you got your license in the first place.

It's like....Microsoft says they will permaban your gamertag if you cheat and hack, and then you hacked and got permabanned and complain how it affected you as a pro gamer or something.

Be abiding to the law, get a job not relying on a DL, or stop bitching. Pick 2.
__________________
⇐ If I bothered replying, that's the face I made while I typed.

hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bc
Posts: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
speeding and driving dangerous are two different things. The speed limits don't always make sense on all roads though and there are times when you can safely drive faster than the posted limit on a road. I dont care what anyone says because that is true. long straight hwy, minimal cars, farms to the left and right... no pedestrians.. good weather. really it wasnt that big of a deal to be going the speed I was. and I was being passed like crazy so I was slower than alot of others passing me.
brz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bc
Posts: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
Wow your English.... is awesome.

Anyway the impoundment itself is not what ICBC looks at. It's the excessive speeding ticket that caused the impoundment that will get you points and make a difference in ICBC.
Thank you for answering that. This was the info I was looking for. Much appreciated!
brz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Y
Posts: 1,495
Thanked 1,345 Times in 379 Posts
Speeding "a little" and excessive speeding is completely two different things.

Sorry OP, this doesn't 'suck'...but you well deserved it.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
parm104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,779
Thanked 2,599 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brz86 View Post
Hey Guys,



Now I need to drive for my job daily so I am definitely going to need to figure something out or change positions at work or maybe even transfer across the country or something as I got bills to pay and cant be without a job.
If you could expand on these points here, I may be able to provide you with some decent advice.

- How does changing your position at work fix your issue of having no car to drive to work?
- How does transferring across the country help you with your issue of having no car to drive to work?
__________________
Clicky Clicky For my Feedback
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
H.Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: y
Posts: 1,199
Thanked 4,569 Times in 572 Posts
excessive is 40+ isn't it?
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bc
Posts: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Speeding "a little" and excessive speeding is completely two different things.

Sorry OP, this doesn't 'suck'...but you well deserved it.
40kms over on a highway which is what they consider excessive in BC is not excessive in my opinion but that is my opinion just like you are entitled to yours. speeding tickets are a cash grab for the most part and I'm ok with that I''ll pay to play but taking a license when know one was put in danger. really doesn't make sense. but again thats just my opinion and I respect yours although I dont agree.
brz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bc
Posts: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
If you could expand on these points here, I may be able to provide you with some decent advice.

- How does changing your position at work fix your issue of having no car to drive to work?
- How does transferring across the country help you with your issue of having no car to drive to work?
I work in tech support for a internet company, going onsite driving work vans to fix customers services.

If im able to switch positions and do phone support or something temporarily that would work.

If i can delay loosing my license I could request to transfer to alberta and work/live out there and transfer my license to alberta and stay out there until i can move/drive in bc again.
brz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 4,921
Thanked 4,252 Times in 1,499 Posts
Our highways have an artificially low speed limit, 40km/h over is actually safer than going the speed limit IF 85%+ other traffic is going that fast. (Google 85% & speed limits) plus, having private property seized without a trial is against the Charter or rights and freedoms (Canada's constitution)

Anyways, op, i feel bad... Next time keep it to 39 over... Hopefully you won't lose your license over it. I thought it was only a 7 day impoundment and an insurance premium increase? Don't remember hearing anything about license suspension.
__________________
2017 F150 FX4 1/30/17

2007 Mustang GT 11/01/17

2016 Subaru WRX 6MT 04/25/16 - 02/25/17 (SOLD)

2014 Ford Mustang 06/26/13 - 04/25/16 (SOLD)

With Function, form will follow
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bc
Posts: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
Our highways have an artificially low speed limit, 40km/h over is actually safer than going the speed limit IF 85%+ other traffic is going that fast. (Google 85% & speed limits) plus, having private property seized without a trial is against the Charter or rights and freedoms (Canada's constitution)

Anyways, op, i feel bad... Next time keep it to 39 over... Hopefully you won't lose your license over it. I thought it was only a 7 day impoundment and an insurance premium increase? Don't remember hearing anything about license suspension.

I agree with you 100% i usually keep it 30km over, but when your cruising with a few of your friends trying to keep pace with a 911 turbo.... well I broke the 30km over rule and now I'm screwed.

The reason the license may be gone is because I have my "N" which is for new drivers. And well when you have an N ICBC can and will pull your license whenever they can. Its just the way it is here....
brz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
H.Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: y
Posts: 1,199
Thanked 4,569 Times in 572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brz86 View Post
I work in tech support for a internet company, going onsite driving work vans to fix customers services.

If im able to switch positions and do phone support or something temporarily that would work.

If i can delay loosing my license I could request to transfer to alberta and work/live out there and transfer my license to alberta and stay out there until i can move/drive in bc again.
Can't hurt asking HR.
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bc
Posts: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
[QUOTE.... plus, having private property seized without a trial is against the Charter or rights and freedoms (Canada's constitution)
[/QUOTE]

I wish their was an easy way to fight that, It would be awesome to be able to get tow and impound fees back haha, I know thats just dreaming though....
brz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 4,921
Thanked 4,252 Times in 1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brz86 View Post
I agree with you 100% i usually keep it 30km over, but when your cruising with a few of your friends trying to keep pace with a 911 turbo.... well I broke the 30km over rule and now I'm screwed.

The reason the license may be gone is because I have my "N" which is for new drivers. And well when you have an N ICBC can and will pull your license whenever they can. Its just the way it is here....
I live in Vancouver, I have my N, i literally RELY on my car to function in life, as tempting as it is when some Mustang/Camaro/911 Turbo goes screaming by, you have to ask yourself what's more important? Doing that a couple times a week and having a blast for a few months until you get unlucky once, or being able to (legally speaking) drive that vehicle you are dependant on daily? I already made my choice. Though i'm still young (and arguably dumb) i was much dumber (and younger i guess) a few years ago... Got lucky i suppose.
__________________
2017 F150 FX4 1/30/17

2007 Mustang GT 11/01/17

2016 Subaru WRX 6MT 04/25/16 - 02/25/17 (SOLD)

2014 Ford Mustang 06/26/13 - 04/25/16 (SOLD)

With Function, form will follow
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #16
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bc
Posts: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Specter View Post
Can't hurt asking HR.
that's true, I looked there are some postings within my company, which would be considered moving up, so more money... maybe moving wouldn't be such a horrible idea.... Alberta is just so flatt though lol, I really like BC just not ICBC lol.
brz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #17
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bc
Posts: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
I live in Vancouver, I have my N, i literally RELY on my car to function in life, as tempting as it is when some Mustang/Camaro/911 Turbo goes screaming by, you have to ask yourself what's more important? Doing that a couple times a week and having a blast for a few months until you get unlucky once, or being able to (legally speaking) drive that vehicle you are dependant on daily? I already made my choice. Though i'm still young (and arguably dumb) i was much dumber (and younger i guess) a few years ago... Got lucky i suppose.
Oh I know... trust me I try and behave for the most part but sometimes I slip up and speed a little to much.. and well this time I wasnt lucky. It sucks. But i should be more careful. And to clarify we weren't all screaming by there was 3 of us just cruising together down the highway. I was in the middle. Porsche in the front. he hit the brakes and then me and then my friend behind me. unfortunately I was the one that got radar'd. The other 2 got let go no ticket.. cause I got radar'd I got put on the hook
brz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #18
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 4,921
Thanked 4,252 Times in 1,499 Posts
So unlucky. Usually they'd go after the Porsche... OP, how fast were you clocked at? What was the speed limit? There's a chance you could get out of it depending.
__________________
2017 F150 FX4 1/30/17

2007 Mustang GT 11/01/17

2016 Subaru WRX 6MT 04/25/16 - 02/25/17 (SOLD)

2014 Ford Mustang 06/26/13 - 04/25/16 (SOLD)

With Function, form will follow
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #19
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bc
Posts: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
So unlucky. Usually they'd go after the Porsche... OP, how fast were you clocked at? What was the speed limit? There's a chance you could get out of it depending.
Yeah I was the young guy with my N and a 2013 Subaru BRZ so i think thats why he chose to go after me and he said I was the one he clocked. The cop claims I was doing 135km in and 80km which I still dont think is true but ya It was definitely a little quick but not for the traffic or road conditions but cops dont care about that lol
brz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #20
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 4,921
Thanked 4,252 Times in 1,499 Posts
Damnit. If we were talking about a couple Km/h here... i.e 141 in a 100 zone, you can get out of it as the radar systems they use have an acceptable operating range of 2km/h, so you could of actually been going 139 etc. Did he get you on radar? Did you ask to see the radar reading if he did?
__________________
2017 F150 FX4 1/30/17

2007 Mustang GT 11/01/17

2016 Subaru WRX 6MT 04/25/16 - 02/25/17 (SOLD)

2014 Ford Mustang 06/26/13 - 04/25/16 (SOLD)

With Function, form will follow
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #21
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
AndroidAAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: GVRD
Posts: 81
Thanked 86 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brz86 View Post
Yeah I was the young guy with my N and a 2013 Subaru BRZ so i think thats why he chose to go after me and he said I was the one he clocked. The cop claims I was doing 135km in and 80km which I still dont think is true but ya It was definitely a little quick but not for the traffic or road conditions but cops dont care about that lol

55 over? damn.

Do you have any prior speeding tickets? Cause that will factor into whether or not your licence will get suspended.
AndroidAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #22
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
AndroidAAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: GVRD
Posts: 81
Thanked 86 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
Damnit. If we were talking about a couple Km/h here... i.e 141 in a 100 zone, you can get out of it as the radar systems they use have an acceptable operating range of 2km/h, so you could of actually been going 139 etc. Did he get you on radar? Did you ask to see the radar reading if he did?
I would think that a police officer would not impound a vehicle that is 1 or 2 km over the 40 rule just for that reason.
AndroidAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #23
RS controls my life!
 
jackal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 737
Thanked 275 Times in 78 Posts
another thing to think about is when are you able to apply for your full license? if yout class 5 test is in say 6 months then DISPUTE that shit. just delay the points from being applied to your license and then if you have your class 5 at the time of your court date you will not have your license taken away. (unless you have a bunch of other tickets)
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #24
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 4,921
Thanked 4,252 Times in 1,499 Posts
^ Good idea. If he was guestimating your speed (i.e no radar) or you feel you were going much slower, lawyer up.
__________________
2017 F150 FX4 1/30/17

2007 Mustang GT 11/01/17

2016 Subaru WRX 6MT 04/25/16 - 02/25/17 (SOLD)

2014 Ford Mustang 06/26/13 - 04/25/16 (SOLD)

With Function, form will follow
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:13 AM   #25
My homepage has been set to RS
 
SpeedStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,494
Thanked 3,690 Times in 857 Posts
bro, I know when u enter fujiwara zone, shit seems much slower
Spoiler!
__________________
'16 WRX

'93 GSR
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net