REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 08-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #401
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
nice choice.

my favorite gun has to be the 1911. it just "feels" so right in the hand lol.

you should check out the cz 75's if you like the feel of the 1911.
Advertisement
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #402
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Well, I went for a long drive the other day to clear my thoughts and low and behold - I ended up at a nice gun shop. I like functional Milsurps, and had been toying the idea of picking up a Swiss K31. Well, they had some at this shop (they are getting harder to find) and so I walked out of there with a decent walnut stock K31 rifle and 400 rounds of 7.5x55. I love the straight-pull Mauser bolt and apparently these are tack-drivers even with dioptic sights. As mentioned, I got this at Wholesale in Langley and they have about 60 more in stock.

I haven't been able to get to the range because it is temporarily closed here in town due to a 3 day rock festival (Eminem is playing tonight) - but I have had time to go over the rifle and been considering how I am going to refurbish it to my liking. It is 70 years old, used by the military (whatever that consists of in Switzerland - at least you know it hasn't killed anyone) and it is showing. I'm definitely going to be removing the stock, stripping it, bleaching it, steaming out the dents that I can, and then either staining it or perhaps I will try some Cerakote. The metal will more than likely get Cerakoted - not sure if I will stay with black or go with a stainless look.

I have a bayonet and a clip-on Optics mount coming in the mail for the rifle. Mounting regular optics isn't that easy as it is a top-eject, so the scope will be slightly mounted to the side. I may add a muzzle break, depending on the kick.

I have also volunteered my time to help a good friend of mine restore a couple of his guns. He had a flood in his basement and then simply brought his guns upstairs. Well, they all have some slight surface rust now and seeing as how he is the Godfather to my children, and he lets me use his shop to work on my car for free, it was the least I could do to offer to restore a few items for him.

So I have a Winchester Defender with pistol grip that has some rusting on the barrel and a little on the mag tube that I am going to strip, clean and Cerakote. I'm not sure if I want to stay with black grips and an aluminum receiver/barrels or black receiver and dark red red grips - I will think about that a bit more. I am going to add an ATI folding pistol grip, possibly a Magpul front grip (I like their looks, though the ribbed stock is nice too), possibly a heat shield if I can find one, and I have been half considering a front pistol grip pump pull - though I cannot find many options up here and have not found anyone that has any feedback on them. Anyone tried one?

Also, he gave me an older Savage 24 O/U with .22LR on top and a .410 below. Even though there is rust and the barrels were dirty, I took it to the range to see how she shot and it was a fun little gun - something I have been considering buying for my wife. You can't feel anything when you shoot the .22, and there is very minimal kick on the .410 - this is an excellent gun for youths/beginners.

Anyways, this gun is certainly in need of some TLC. All the original bluing is showing rust through it on the original metal, there is rust inside the receiver and the cheap wood stock is banged up pretty good. I know I am going to sand, steam, and then Cerakote the stock Smith and Wesson Red and then I may go with either a traditional bluing colour or stainless look for the barrels and receiver. I'm going to think about that for a bit.

Looking forward to how these two turn out and I hope that my friend likes it when I'm done - he's given me free reign on what I can do. Be careful when you offer that!
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #403
Survivor MOD

would love to try out that swiss k31 at somepoint
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #404

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
would love to try out that swiss k31 at somepoint
Me first on this one! Once I get it set-up and shooting so sweet it inspires a new Blues song, then I'll open that offer to you.

There is a 70 year old guy at my range that uses a K31 with a dioptic set-up and he punches 2" groupings at 250 yards. Not bad for a 70 year old rifle *and a 70 year old eye). To activate the safety, you pull the loop and rotate it 90 degrees - that also locks the bolt. Designed so you can do it while wearing gloves - oh those Swiss.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #405
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Anyone know how long it takes to get ATT?

The people over the phone aint that nice :P
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #406
Survivor MOD

it took about 4 or 5 days to get my ltatt
Old 08-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #407
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymiandw3et View Post
china are not allowed to have hand guns
That's a good thing because they probably can't read the PAL / RPAL manual
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #408
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
So my SKS is a bit fuggered. Still cleaning it out, was trying to install the Tapco stock and could not get the pin out of the gas chamber ... does anyone know a cheap local gunsmith who can swap the gas chamber for me?

BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #409
Survivor MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
So my SKS is a bit fuggered. Still cleaning it out, was trying to install the Tapco stock and could not get the pin out of the gas chamber ... does anyone know a cheap local gunsmith who can swap the gas chamber for me?

i heard reliable gun is good for quick work.

most actual gunsmiths have 3 month wait lists.

i wanted to take my 1892 to get a cowboy action work done and the guy quoted me atleast 3 months at the earliest so i said fuck it and just put enough ammo through it for it to smooth out
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #410
Survivor MOD

got my custom ammunition order from the bullet barn today

300 gr hard cast LFP in +P with starline brass

Left to Right:

1) PMC 180gr JHP
2) Sellier and Belloit 240gr JFP
3) Fiocchi 240gr JFP
4) Hornady 225gr FTX Lever Evolution
5) Hornady 300gr XTP Lever Evolution
6) Bullet Barn 300gr LFP +P

The hardcast 300gr bullet is loaded hot and should provide maximum penetration and bone crushing power out of my 20" chiappa 1892 alaskan scout lever gun

This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #411
The Brown Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
i heard reliable gun is good for quick work.

most actual gunsmiths have 3 month wait lists.

i wanted to take my 1892 to get a cowboy action work done and the guy quoted me atleast 3 months at the earliest so i said fuck it and just put enough ammo through it for it to smooth out
Yeah I ended up going italian sporting goods, $20 later they had the pin removed and mounted the gas chamber into the new housing

I can see why people bitch about surplus SKS' taking forever to clean -- it took me and a friend half a day with a steam cleaner to completely get all the nasty grease off, and I didn't even bother cleaning the stock -- just put the new tapco one on there

Just finished cleaning and lubing it and it's ready for the range. Next up is bayonet mount bipod, front foregrip, rubber recoil buffer, and a sight -- can't decide whether to go red-dot or red-dot with zoom must say, this hobby is addicting
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #412
Survivor MOD

my preference when it comes to guns is bolt guns, pump actions and lever guns.

glad your sks is workin out for ya
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2014, 09:32 PM   #413

Quote:
Yeah I ended up going italian sporting goods, $20 later they had the pin removed and mounted the gas chamber into the new housing

I can see why people bitch about surplus SKS' taking forever to clean -- it took me and a friend half a day with a steam cleaner to completely get all the nasty grease off, and I didn't even bother cleaning the stock -- just put the new tapco one on there

Just finished cleaning and lubing it and it's ready for the range. Next up is bayonet mount bipod, front foregrip, rubber recoil buffer, and a sight -- can't decide whether to go red-dot or red-dot with zoom must say, this hobby is addicting
A can of Crud Buster (or brake cleaner) and the SKS would have been clean in 30 minutes. At least, mine was. I'm curious to see how it turns out for you.

I got my K31 to the range today and that rifle packs a punch. It felt about the same as my 7mm MAG (the 7mm has a recoil pad). I wasn't able to get the sites to my liking, I kept shooting high but after 30 rounds through it and 20 though my 7mm, I decided to give my shoulder a rest. My scope side-mount came in the mail today, so I will try a scope on it and see if I can find the sweet spot afterwards through the irons.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #414
The Brown Reason

The steamer made things easier, I went pretty slow cleaning it out really well because I'm anal. I was just happy I didn't have to use a rag to get all that crap off

Quick question, I see red dot sights on amazon.com for $50-$70 that compare with ones being sold locally for $160+.
I looked up the laws, it seems that US customs won't allow you to export sights, but it says nothing about how Canada handles it. Some posts suggest you can bring them back, no problem -- anyone have experience with it? I'd be ordering it to PR, picking it up, and physically bringing it across the border on my person (and declaring it, obv) -- I would avoid US customs so the question is how does canadian customs handle this
Old 08-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #415
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
The steamer made things easier, I went pretty slow cleaning it out really well because I'm anal. I was just happy I didn't have to use a rag to get all that crap off

Quick question, I see red dot sights on amazon.com for $50-$70 that compare with ones being sold locally for $160+.
I looked up the laws, it seems that US customs won't allow you to export sights, but it says nothing about how Canada handles it. Some posts suggest you can bring them back, no problem -- anyone have experience with it? I'd be ordering it to PR, picking it up, and physically bringing it across the border on my person (and declaring it, obv) -- I would avoid US customs so the question is how does canadian customs handle this
I would personally avoid it. Not worth the risk to save a few bucks. The canadian border guards could care less if you bring in gun parts/accessories. Of course they will tax you accordingly. Like you said, it is the american side you need to worry about. The US takes their gun laws very seriously. Sat you pick up across the border and get caught, you can be arrested for "smuggling arms." I pick up things from the US quite often, and I'd say about 2 times a year, I will have a couple of US border guards come up to my car at the borde line up back into Canada to ask if I am carrying any gun parts back.

If you do your research, you can find quite a few alternative options. One is through brownells . com. Brownells are able to export many different types of gun parts into Canada legally as long as the manufacturer has proper export license and the order is under $500. In my experience, many big name companies will have the proper licenses. For anything over $500, you can still make the order as long as your fill out the required paperwork for export. I've done this a couple of times and can say this process is surprisingly pretty quick and simple. There is a whole tutorial on CGN for people who want to learn how to do this.
ODStryker00 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2014, 11:27 PM   #416
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
Legally you need an export permit for it to leave the states, some US sellers have it so they can ship to Canada but I think it's a hassle to get so very few of them bother. Canadian customs won't care but if US customs get wind of it you might be in for a bad day.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:26 AM   #417
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:

Posted this earlier in the thread but essentially what was said by those above is correct. Not worth the potential trouble.

Congrats on the SKS btw.
Was the ammo it came with corrosive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
Canadian CFO says its fine to import into Canada...
Importing isn't the hard part.

It's a whole different ball game exporting parts/accessories out of the US under their export laws (Department of State) and things controlled by ITAR
Some things include:
-ammunition
-some scopes
-barrels/triggers(basic firearm parts)

Things not included off the top of my head:
-reloading equipment(presses, etc.)
-I believe grips might be okay as well

Don't know if people have experienced it but sometimes coming north there is a checkpoint of US CBP officers, they are essentially looking for undeclared currency, firearms being exported without the proper documentation.
With all that being said, I know people who bring through ammunition, scopes, 10 round magazines, stocks, etc. but one day when they hit that roadblock, they will regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
^To add to that, here is an extended list (by no means complete). Things you can bring back from America legally:

-reloading equipment (not consumables)
-targets
-cleaning kits
-carry cases/bags
-slings
-safes/lockers/trigger locks

Things that are illegal to export from America without permits:
-firearms and internal parts, including most parts that attach to a firearm
-mounts for optics, lights, slings
-optics
-magazines and magazine parts
-ammunition, including reloading components to make ammunition

If a US Federal agency catches you with any of those items, you could be imprisoned/fined and refused future entry into America.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:34 AM   #418
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
Also correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC it's not quite all scopes/sights that aren't allowed to be exported, there might be some exception for non-zoom stuff but I'm not sure, best to check the US export info for the exact details on that.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #419

You're just best not to mess around with the US police states - they just arrested another Canadian from Langley for selling gun parts. Buy Canadian and support our vendors up here trying to make a buck.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #420

Well, I have wanted a 30-30 lever for as long time - my dad always said you don't have a collection unless you have one. I was at the range last night and there was no one else there for a couple hours, right up until I decided it was time to leave and I was about to turn the range green (meaning no firing), a fellow comes in and wanted to simply put 8 rounds down a new shotgun he bought.

I noticed his shotgun was a new 20g SX3 and it was one I almost bought for my wife but have decided on something else. He said it was for his wife but she didn't know yet, and that he has to sell one of his guns to bring this one into the house. I told him I couldn't help unless he had a Marlin or Winchester 30-30 lever. Annnnnnd....that is exactly what he was selling. **sigh**

He let me fire the last round down the SX3 (it is sure a light shotgun, let alone for a semi auto) and then invited me over to his place for a beer and to have a look at the Marlin. I loved it, but needed to think it over and said I would call him today. It wasn't really in my plans to add another rifle so soon, but even my wife said that it was the one rifle I have always wanted, more so since my father passed.

So, I woke up, drank a coffee, then called the fellow and arranged to come by after lunch. Here it is - a Marlin 336C with less than 100 rounds down it mounted with a Bushnell XLT 3-9 scope. I didn't like the idea of a scope at first, but this is going to be my back-up hunting rifle so I now like the idea. Also, I have several Bushnell scopes and they have never let me down yet. Can't wait to get this one to the range!

This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #421
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,273 Times in 275 Posts
Cleaned the g17 for the first time yesterday after going through the first 1000 rounds.

Broke my scaphoid/distal radius back in June so I haven't been able to go to the range all Summer.

2004 E46 M3
2001 WRX STi (sold)
2003 Supercharged 350z (sold)
1991 R32 GTR (sold)
2000 Civic SiR (sold)
1990 Civic Si-T (sold)
1986 MK1 Mr2 (sold)
2005 GSX-R 750 (sold)
2003 CBR 600RR (sold)
2007 Ducati 1098 track (sold)
2009 Kawasaki ZX6R (track build)
fT-z33wor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #422
Survivor MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
Well, I have wanted a 30-30 lever for as long time - my dad always said you don't have a collection unless you have one. I was at the range last night and there was no one else there for a couple hours, right up until I decided it was time to leave and I was about to turn the range green (meaning no firing), a fellow comes in and wanted to simply put 8 rounds down a new shotgun he bought.

I noticed his shotgun was a new 20g SX3 and it was one I almost bought for my wife but have decided on something else. He said it was for his wife but she didn't know yet, and that he has to sell one of his guns to bring this one into the house. I told him I couldn't help unless he had a Marlin or Winchester 30-30 lever. Annnnnnd....that is exactly what he was selling. **sigh**

He let me fire the last round down the SX3 (it is sure a light shotgun, let alone for a semi auto) and then invited me over to his place for a beer and to have a look at the Marlin. I loved it, but needed to think it over and said I would call him today. It wasn't really in my plans to add another rifle so soon, but even my wife said that it was the one rifle I have always wanted, more so since my father passed.

So, I woke up, drank a coffee, then called the fellow and arranged to come by after lunch. Here it is - a Marlin 336C with less than 100 rounds down it mounted with a Bushnell XLT 3-9 scope. I didn't like the idea of a scope at first, but this is going to be my back-up hunting rifle so I now like the idea. Also, I have several Bushnell scopes and they have never let me down yet. Can't wait to get this one to the range!

if its a JR stamped marlin (ie. pre-remington takeover) hold onto that thing for dear life and never let it go!

i love lever guns, they're my favorite in terms of "bush gun" style rifles. congrats on the purchase

Last edited by T4RAWR; 08-16-2014 at 09:01 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #423
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,339 Times in 5,648 Posts
Out in the bush at the cabin this weekend, felt good to fire some rounds off and a few friends who'd never really shot any real guns before got to try em out

Hadn't shot my 7mm in probably two years, first shot standing up hit a balloon at 250 feet
Old 08-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #424
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
has anyone ever sent a rifle in the mail via ups or fed ex???

had some boo-boo's on a non restricted rifle(safety broke off inside the firing assembly...but...the firing assembly has been tightened with loctite from their factory so badly that I've destroyed 3 wrenches on attempting to remove them and thus warping the head of the screws) and since its under warranty, the company just said mail it in to them and they'll take care of it.

any idea how im sending it? in a hard rifle case? or pre wrapped up in a box and drop it off at the ups/fed ex place?

never had to send a gun in before so this will be a learning experience for me hah.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #425
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,339 Times in 5,648 Posts
I believe when my 7mm came it was in a cardboard box and then bubble wrapped inside